[April 1st] Some temporary measures, please read!

Forum » BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Dear BookCrossing members,
Unfortunately, the current events have caused many of you to spend a lot more time at home. And this results in much higher server loads. You may have seen the consequenses: timeouts and errors.

To address that, in a way that allows everyone to keep using BookCrossing, we propose a set of mitigating measures that we hope everyone will stick to for the entire month. We wish it could be different, but this is how things are. We are sorry that it has come to this.

Please:
- if your screenname is in the first half of the alphabet, only use the website on the first 30 minutes of every hour. If it's in the last half, the second 30 minutes of every hour are for you.
- refrain from registering books that contain 400 pages or more, to reduce server load.
- do not post forum posts that contain more than 3 facts or pieces of information. Opinions carry less weight; there can be up to 5 of those.
- review and discuss only light literature for now. Cosy mysteries and children's books are especially suitable. Avoid philosophy, if at all possible.
- set a larger font size to view the BookCrossing website, so that fewer words at the same time fit on your screen.

Thank you so much for cooperating. Together we can get through this!

And if you have similar suggestions for what we can do to reduce server load, please post them below.

CathrineB 2 mos ago
LOL
It's April 1st today, so I hope this is a joke:)

To bad Ardik got there first.
I never noticed the 'new' wings until I opened the Dutch Forum
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15

wingSamingowing 2 mos ago
Lol
really good, made my day!
Thanks for the very nice wings - I will make sure to use the website as per the new regulations 😂👍

I almost fell for it...it's a good one 😂

@Canadian Camperfan: In which conversation in the Dutch forum do I find the explanation/notification about the (NL?) toilet paper-wings?

@Canadian Camperfan: In which conversation in the Dutch forum do I find the explanation/notification about the (NL?) toilet paper-wings?

Half way down this one:
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/567282

But I was referring to the whole site and although I have 'maple leaf' wings that does not make me Canadian, I'm Dutch :-)

wingbloedengelwing 2 mos ago
Won't
register philosophy today. Tomorrow the server will have recovered, I presume ;à)))

luckaye 2 mos ago
*giggle*
Almost worth staying in lockdown on my 20th wedding anniversary - yes, I got married on April Fool's Day - seemed like the perfect day to get married to me LOL

Had me going for a minute there!

And if you have similar suggestions for what we can do to reduce server load, please post them below.

Oh, definitely: make sure to only register books with monchrome cover-art, to save those color pixels! (What do you mean, that isn't a thing?)

But won’t short books overload the server because we’ll be reviewing more of them? Such dilemma’s on the first of the month. ;-)

If it wasn’t April fools day I may have believed you

I'm so lucky - i can use the website the whole time 😄

But....ROTFLOL. good one!

We’d do anything for you, dear Ballycumber.

Thanks for a good laugh in these sobering times. : )

The first item got me! I actually took a moment to check the time and make sure I was in "my" half. :P

The first item got me! I actually took a moment to check the time and make sure I was in "my" half. :P

HAHAHAHAHA🤣My response when finding this was the same as yours, Iddylu.😁 I have not been able to enjoy Bookcrossing as often as I prefer for several months already, but when I found a PM tonight from a kind fellow BCer offering me a highly sought after from the Library (which has already been closed for weeks until further notice here in Arizona due to this devastating pandemic we are experiencing) book I've not been able to secure a copy of from my Wishlist that has some PTSD information, I hopped on Bookcrossing about 11 o'clock while I still had some computer time to respond and I saw this on the sidebar https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/768 . I immediately looked at the clock and was happy to see that I was within the appropriate use time for my screenname. After reading the entire post, I then clicked "here" at the bottom of that page to lend some support, and ended up on this page ROARing with laughter after reading some of the responses. I LOVE BOOKCROSSING, and laughter IS the best medicine. THANK YOU, Ballycumber...YOU'RE the BEST!!!💖❌⭕

I did, too; I counted it out on my fingers! But I was really really confused by the 400 page books. Didn't help that I am reading this today (April 6th) for the first time and totally wasn't thinking of April fools' :)

...go beyond performance.

This suggestion seems really suitable to cut down on bandwidth used:
- set a larger font size to view the BookCrossing website, so that fewer words at the same time fit on your screen.

However, it is a trade-off with data at rest, where you should use the smallest font possible in order to save disk-space.

Hope y'all enjoyed April Fool's Day ;-)

My opinions certainly carry less weight!

My opinions certainly carry less weight!

Or maybe that's just what YOU think... 😉

It’s certainly what the dearly beloved thinks!

Brilliant!

Oh, man! I only read the first request (to limit time on the site) & thought, "That sounds reasonable" & stuck to it! I came back to check on the other suggestions just now & OMG, what a doofus I am!!!!

And thought “oh no, it’s 45 mins past the hour so I shouldn't be online” but thought I’d read the rest before closing the window when I noticed the April Fools comments!

Good one, had me fooled if it wasn’t for everyone else! 😂 I swear I’m computer literate and understand how servers work... sorta...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.