We're on the hunt for some additional BC Volunteer Support team members!

Forum » BookCrossing Site Announcements » Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

I would like to volunteer for Book Crossing activities based from Mumbai, India

Complete Thread
Hey all,
Over the past few weeks we've been having a look at the current capabilities within our BC Volunteer Support Team from a languages perspective, and as a result we've identified some areas we'd like to recruit in order to have better coverage servicing the BookCrossing member community.

Here's what we are after:
- People who are fluent in any of the following languages:
Spanish, Greek, French, Italian, Portuguese, any Scandinavian or Slavic languages, OR Russian

What else you'd need to offer:
- A love for BookCrossing and knowledgeable of the site.
- Keen desire to help others by explaining steps/processes.
- Good with computers. You don't need to be a programmer, but you do need to know enough not to be confused by terms like URL, cookie and HTTPS. Do you know which browser you are using and how to install a different one? Then you probably know enough to help us.
- Able to spend some time, several times a week, not following any specific schedule (other than your own).
- Able to read and write decent English.

Here's what you'll get:
- A very real way to help people enjoy BookCrossing, and to help BookCrossing itself.
- Free Wings membership.
- Extra abilities to do things on the site and the responsibilities that come with them! (That's the scary part.)
- More quality time with language translation programs than you ever knew you wanted!
- Our database of information that we gathered over the years, and that will help you give the right answers.
- The feeling that you are not just a spectator/consumer on this site, but also a part of what makes BookCrossing 'tick'.

You'd be working as part of a small Team spread out over the globe, who communicate by a group set up on a chat app (which can be installed on a smartphone or laptop/desktop).
You would be choosing your own hours, and even picking the support queries/tickets that you feel you can answer. We would, of course, show you the ropes and help you learn how to use the Support system, and be on hand to answer your questions.
Also, Team members can always ask for guidance from other members!

Still interested?
Then please send us a message through the Support system (Contact Us) at the bottom of the page (that's your first test to see if you can work that out!).
We promise to get back to you within a week or two, to let you know whether we think it's a good fit.
Any questions can be posted here in this thread.

Thanks for reading, and if you are in any of the non-English forum sections, please help spread the word!

- Able to spend some time, several times a week, not following any specific schedule (other than your own).

How much time is "some time" approximately?

How much time is "some time" approximately?

We'd hope for a minimum of 3 hours per week, and some clear communication within the Team to advise of periods you'd be unavailable due to things such as holidays and life as they arise ;)

Can you tell us how the hiring process works and who is doing the actual hiring (person in charge)?

Can you tell us how the hiring process works and who is doing the actual hiring (person in charge)?

Thanks for asking Bookstogive.
We’re in the stage of looking for expressions of interest to join the Support Team from any Russian, Spanish, Greek, French, Italian, Portuguese, Scandinavian or Slavic speaking members.
The process of actual recruiting will come later, once we’ve complied a list of those expressions of interest, and will be handled by the existing Team as a whole.

I wonder if the translation project for other languages are on back burner till those awful bugs on this site have been fixed? I can understand.

I wonder if the translation project for other languages are on back burner till those awful bugs on this site have been fixed?

Not so much on the back burner, it's more that both the bug fixes and the translation project are waiting for the same thing. Basically, we're waiting for Ron to either fix things, or hand over access so that Ardik can fix things.

I accepted but I think you forgot me because I still can't see pending countries to fix problem.

Merci pour ta volonté d‘engagement.
Amuse-toi bien avec l’équipe de support. :)

I just had the idea for BookCrossing and it already exists. I plan on heavily contributing.

I am interested in volunteering. I speak English, weak Spanish.

I am a Linux nerd that has worked at web hosts and financial services companies.

I would like to volunteer for Book Crossing activities based from Mumbai, India

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.