Manage Your Account

Forum » BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Something we have noticed of late is that Members are not (or have not) when creating their account, selected a language from the drop down menu under "Miscellaneous Information".
If you're reading this, have a quick check now to make sure your profile is up to date with this specific piece of information please: https://www.bookcrossing.com/editprofile/

"Miscellaneous Information" is the 3rd block down.
"Basic Information" asks for Email, Password, First Name, Last Name
"Location Information" asks for Country, State / Province, City, Postal Code
"Miscellaneous Information" asks for Referring Member, LANGUAGE, Date of Birth, Homepage Url (available with Wings membership), Extended Profile(available with Wings membership)
Then it goes on to "Notification Preferences" where you can set your preferences with regards to notifications from the site and other members.

Find this all here: https://www.bookcrossing.com/editprofile/

I did not fill in the language field as only one language can be chosen and I am multilingual.
For the moment the language I use most is not my mother tongue.

Then, do Flemish people have to chose "Nederlands" (Dutch) instead of "Flemish" and - worse - Welch, Scottish or Irish users seem to be forced to use from the limited one-option-only list "English". I can imagine users rather leave the Language Field blank.

Then, do Flemish people have to chose "Nederlands" (Dutch) instead of "Flemish" and - worse - Welch, Scottish or Irish users seem to be forced to use from the limited one-option-only list "English". I can imagine users rather leave the Language Field blank.

It's a language field, not a country field... and being multilingual doesn't really enter into it either, all that's being asked is your preferred language to use on the site. You're not being asked which language(s) you speak or what your cultural identity is. I sometimes use Afrikaans for a while because I like the language so much, and can understand it just fine.

I can see how you feel that some options are missing, but it's not a one-option field.

wingsakirmowing 3 wks ago
Why exactly
is this so important that we should make sure it's up to date now? I don't seem to have anything on the language section either, but have managed to use the site just fine since 2012, so I don't know what it's needed for. Some statistic purpose or what?

I don't seem to have anything on there either, but have managed to use the site just fine since 2012, so I don't know what it's needed for.

I can't say why the *site* needs it, but if you change the language much of the site will appear for you in that language. For example, "Home/Books & People/Commmunity/Information/Store", and most (though, oddly, not all) the links under those will be translated.

I don't seem to have anything on there either, but have managed to use the site just fine since 2012, so I don't know what it's needed for.

I can't say why the *site* needs it, but if you change the language much of the site will appear for you in that language. For example, "Home/Books & People/Commmunity/Information/Store", and most (though, oddly, not all) the links under those will be translated.

Well that's kind of obvious, but this post sounds like it's somehow important to have *something* chosen on the languages even when you're happy with what you're automatically getting, so that's why I'm asking. If it's really needed for something I'll change it, of course.

And anyway there must be other ways to choose the language, because my phone shows the site in Finnish while my PC is in English. Can't remember what I've done there to change it though.

is this so important that we should make sure it's up to date now?

I would like to repeat this question. I still do not understand the impotence.

why do I have a stars and stripes to indicate that my chosen language is English? I'm English and speak English English rather than American English - but that doesn't appear as an option on the drop down list. It just says English. Yes, I know BookCrossing started in the States but I would still prefer a British flag!

why do I have a stars and stripes to indicate that my chosen language is English?

I'd call that an unfortunate design choice. But perhaps in this case we can see it as a nod towards the founders? After all, without them, none of us would be here.

why do I have a stars and stripes to indicate that my chosen language is English?

I'd call that an unfortunate design choice.

Yes, I like that, a nice turn of phrase.
But perhaps in this case we can see it as a nod towards the founders? After all, without them, none of us would be here.

Well, I'm here and happy to be so. I'm not going to be leaving over a flag icon :-)
I seem to remember having a choice between American English and International English, way back in some previous incarnation of BookCrossing, back when things weren't jazzed up with flags and icons. Just musing . . . it's not important . . .

But perhaps in this case we can see it as a nod towards the founders? After all, without them, none of us would be here.

Well, I'm here and happy to be so. I'm not going to be leaving over a flag icon :-)
I seem to remember having a choice between American English and International English, way back in some previous incarnation of BookCrossing, back when things weren't jazzed up with flags and icons. Just musing . . . it's not important . . .

To look on the positive, in a nod to using non American English the site defaults with book labels spelling things “right”...long live the double L in travelling.

in Europe we Americans have to click on the British flag all the time! So I get how it is annoying, but also I think for this site the US flag is appropriate :)

There is an issue with it automatically defaulting to member does not want to be contacted and even if you change that to yes the yes does not hold.

There is an issue with it automatically defaulting to member does not want to be contacted and even if you change that to yes the yes does not hold.

Yes, we're aware. But this does not affect selecting a language.
As Moem mentions in this thread, a bug in contact preferences was raised with the Tech Team 6 months ago, but it has not yet been looked into as far as we know:
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/557385

"Yes, we're aware." . . . "As Moem mentions . . . bug in contact preferences was raised with the Tech Team 6 months ago, but it has not yet been looked into as far as we know:
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/557385"

WHOOP! So brilliant this has been noted for investigation at some point, it's be bugging [apologies] me for years and years.

THANKS AGAIN SUPER SUPPORT TEAM!!!

Something we have noticed of late is that Members are not (or have not) when creating their account, selected a language from the drop down menu under "Miscellaneous Information".

To reiterate, we noticed that it was being commonly missed and as it is not a "required field" but an "optional" one, we thought we'd point it out.

Who is to know what the future holds?
Why it may become a more "required" tool in the future than it currently appears to be perceived as being. Or why it may not.

It was simply posed as a reminder to longer term Members, as it was also to highlight to newer members, that this field "can" be used to indicate a preference.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.