Temperamental issues with search function when registering books

Forum » BookCrossing Site Announcements » Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Good thing I have a working scanner again for the cover art...

Why not go to amazon and save image, crop the white border around the image, and use that?

Well, the Amazon image is often not the one I want, since I try to use the edition/cover that matches the actual book.

Complete Thread
We're aware that there is an issue with the search function not pulling results when entering a book's title, author or ISBN during the registering process from here: https://www.bookcrossing.com/register

Although we are finding that the best source option to use from the drop down list is Google, we acknowledge that this too does not always return results to select from.
In the event this occurs, you can still register a book by clicking the 'skip search' button, and follow the prompts from there taking you through the process.
You will need to manually enter the title of the book, and the author (as well as the book's category), by typing in the information. We also highly recommend that you manually enter the ISBN, if there is one.

Numerous threads on this topic have been created in the Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting forum https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/25/ (it's been very lively in there of late), and as you can see when visiting that forum, the label [Error flagged with Tech Team] indicates that the error/bug/issue reported, has been escalated to BookCrossing's Technical & Development Team.
As it stands currently, we are awaiting a response from the Team, (namely Reno who successfully worked on this area several months ago when it had been failing due to Amazon changing things on their end and thus BookCrossing's existing coding to pull results from Amazon no longer being valid).

We acknowledge this is causing great frustration within our Member group, and hope to have some help resolving the issue soon.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: As at 4:15pm MST 20 June 2019
We have just heard from Reno that he is currently looking into the matter and it is currently working ok and he is unable to recreate the issues that have previously been reported.

UPDATE: As at 4:45pm MST 20 June 2019
This issue seems to be gremlin free.
If you encounter the issue, please report it in this thread using the link: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/561417/
Tell us what you are entering into the search box, and if you are trying to search using Google Books from the drop down menu, or one of the Amazon options.

UPDATE: As at 8:45pm MST 20 June 2019
Bug back in force

UPDATE: As at 10:45am MST 21 June 2019
We are back firing on all cylinders with search.
Tested "Echo Park" and search returned results using Google and UK, US, CA and FR of Amazon.

THANK YOU💖I thought it was something I, or the computers I'm using was doing wrong!!!😉
UPDATE: We have just heard from Reno that he is currently looking into the matter.
WONderful, and...GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!💖

This issue seems to be gremlin free.
If you encounter the issue, please report it in this thread using the link: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/561417

Tell us what you are entering into the search box, and if you are trying to search using Google Books from the drop down menu, or one of the Amazon options.

Bug back in force

it was reported that the Search function went AWOL again. [I was only the third "noticer" as I happened by a wee late. And yes, first test failed. ]

In thread https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/561417 we reported our latest observations, including my notes that this problem <mostly> rears its ugly head from the early evening on one day till the wee hours < e.g. 3:33am > of the next day.
All my times are in MST < Montana et al >.

I am hoping that Reno will be able to have a presence within that time-frame , when Search usually goes off the skids. I acknowledge that sometimes I didn't see a failure
till after 10pm. [ Which was great for it allowed me to register about a hundred books per week for the past while < EVEN WITH THE GREMLINS ON THE LOOSE >

So I am not aware of failures
from the early morning < say 08:00 hrs >
till evening <say 18:00 hrs > MST..., however,
I don't have that many datapoints for said hours!

Monitoring / testing in that time-slot may not prove very productive.

But let's keep on it and I am sure this dragon will be slayed. ;)
Thanx everyone for all the efforts put in to get a solution.

PS Gotta meet with my Aussie company now, and be a catcher of the rye.

Tested "Echo Park" and search returned results using Google and UK, US, CA and FR of Amazon.

using Google, UK and CA and using ISBN and name and got no results for anything. HELP!!!

In the event this occurs, you can still register a book by clicking the 'skip search' button, and follow the prompts from there taking you through the process.
You will need to manually enter the title of the book, and the author (as well as the book's category), by typing in the information. We also highly recommend that you manually enter the ISBN, if there is one.
You can then go back when the gremlins on this bug are sleeping and click “update cover” and the search will work off the details you’ve already entered (isbn, title & author) to give you the cover image.

That's exactly the problem for me: every time I try to "skip search", and I fill out everything including an ISBN number, it still gives me an error message instead of a registration. It's frustrating that I can do neither one nor the other. The books I have registered (and released!) were all on one afternoon CDT when the system was working smoothly.

That's exactly the problem for me: every time I try to "skip search", and I fill out everything including an ISBN number, it still gives me an error message instead of a registration.

What happens if you try it without any ISBN?

Currently search is not working.

Currently search is working bug free.

💖FABulous...I have lots of books to register later today...THANK YOU!!!💖

Currently not working ...

Not working at the moment.

Search is still working bug free, so the times are not seeming to be consistent with regards to the gremlins kicking in.

Search is not currently working.

Search is currently working

Search is currently working.

I don't mind "Skipping Search" when the system goes awry.

Currently search is working bug free

Although it seemed to be working much longer than in previous days, search is now not currently working.

Currently search is working bug free

Currently search is working.

Was just going to post this. It's consistent with my previous observations of the problems commencing at around 9PM EST (7 PM MST). I'll be doing some manual book-registrations; if any of the lookups actually work, I'll post the data.

Update, 8 AM EST (6 AM MST): I tried another book-lookup in hopes that the problem had gone away again (ideally so that I could update the cover-pics of all the books I registered last night), but still no joy... Don't know if it was unavailable all night or if it's been coming and going.

How true. It’s never working at the time of day I need it.

Good luck in figuring it out for us night folks.

Search is currently working.

In the past, when the lookup wasn't working, I'd upload cover-pics manually after registering books; this time, I left the 20-something books I registered last night via skip-search without any cover pics. Then, as soon as the search started working again this morning, I just ran down my bookshelf view clicking on "update cover", and all the lookups worked fine. Still a bit of a headache as to why the lookups go off and on like that, but this method of working around it is pretty effective and doesn't take that much longer... fwiw!

In the past, when the lookup wasn't working, I'd upload cover-pics manually after registering books; this time, I left the 20-something books I registered last night via skip-search without any cover pics. Then, as soon as the search started working again this morning, I just ran down my bookshelf view clicking on "update cover", and all the lookups worked fine. Still a bit of a headache as to why the lookups go off and on like that, but this method of working around it is pretty effective and doesn't take that much longer... fwiw!

Indeed a great work around
I mentioned something similar here a few days back:
You can then go back when the gremlins on this bug are sleeping and click “update cover” and the search will work off the details you’ve already entered (isbn, title & author) to give you the cover image.

wingbcsupportteamwing 2 wks ago
UPDATE
UPDATE: The string of updates show a common pattern and therefore we will not be continuing to post daily updates as we have so far done. Messages have been sent to out Tech Team daily on the error, but have not been responded to, therefore we can only wait until they are available to look into the matter.

UPDATE: The string of updates show a common pattern
InDEED a temperamental challenge...THANK YOU for the update!!!😊
we can only wait until they are available to look into the matter.
No worries...it's certainly no "emergency".😉 Thanks to ALL for your extra efforts!!! 💖Resolve will come in due time, so we'll carry on with the doable workarounds until then.😊

wingmeganhwing 2 wks ago
RE: UPDATE
Messages have been sent to out Tech Team daily on the error, but have not been responded to, therefore we can only wait until they are available to look into the matter.

Hopefully they will look into it soon. Us oldies will persevere but interested new members might not bother to hang around very long with such continuing problems.

The are STILL ISSUES!!! I tried logging in the book "The Cat (The Sons of Destiny, Book 5)" by Jean Johnson today, and came into a few problems. First, the form didn't work. I had to type in everything manually, (which is a huge pain). Second, the form blanked out and didn't post to my bookshelf after I saved it. I have a huge pile of books that I need to log in and this is just the first of them.

The are STILL ISSUES!!!

This is correct: it's not been fixed yet. It works and then it doesn't. When it gets fixed, I'm sure we'll be told!

"In the event this occurs, you can still register a book by clicking the 'skip search' button, and follow the prompts from there taking you through the process.

You will need to manually enter the title of the book, and the author (as well as the book's category), by typing in the information. We also highly recommend that you manually enter the ISBN, if there is one."

I am having this issue but I'm also unable to enter the book info manually. When I try to create a journal entry (using preprinted labels) I fill in all the info, submit it, and then it just dumps me back to the search field without creating the entry. I have a couple books ready to go, I just can't enter them. Please help? :)

I am having this issue but I'm also unable to enter the book info manually. When I try to create a journal entry (using preprinted labels) I fill in all the info, submit it, and then it just dumps me back to the search field without creating the entry. I have a couple books ready to go, I just can't enter them.

I don't know if it'll help, but have you tried entering the details but omitting the ISBN? If you're able to get the book registered that way, you can go in and edit the book-details later to add the ISBN (remembering to enter just the digits, no spaces or hyphens). Worth a shot, anyway.

Thanks, I will try that!

Yes, it worked if I only fill in the required fields! Thanks! :)

No, it isn't working for anyone right now.
If the pattern it has followed the past few weeks is anything to go by, you should be good to go in 12 hour's time from now.
You can see the log here: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/743

I find it works for me between 7pm and 10pm British time. Don't know if it's because there's less traffic in the site then.

But I'm sure the BC team are working there butts of to fix the issue so we all need to have a bit of Patience and wait. I know it's frustrating for some of us but these gremlins I assume will get sorted in due course

I find it works for me between 7pm and 10pm British time. Don't know if it's because there's less traffic in the site then.

Thanks Abi that's very useful. I wasn't sure when we would be good over here as all the time zones mentioned have been US ones. I'll give it a whirl this evening and register as many as I can!

Sometimes on the odd occasion it works from 6pm

Sometimes on the odd occasion it works from 6pm

Works for me every time around then too - 6pm GMT
Seems to fit in with the pattern from the monitoring everyone has done.

We’re afraid the search functionality when registering books is still having glitches.

The good news is we’ve identified a window where it typically works just fine - being 9am-5pm USA Mountain standard time (MST).
We’ve no idea why this is the case, and often it extends outwards of those hours, but not within them.

To determine what this time window is where you are, simply use trusty Google (or your own preferred search engine) with
“if it's 9am MST what time is it in <enter your location>”

You can see more information around this bug here: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/743

We’re sorry it is taking so long.

Thank you for the update, and your diligent efforts to resolve the matter.💖 I can only imagine how frustrating being unable to locate the dastardly gremlin causing all of the trouble must be for all of you.

The good news is we’ve identified a window where it typically works just fine - being 9am-5pm USA Mountain standard time (MST).

Interesting: MST rather than MDT?

Not that it really matters for me: either way it's a time period when I'm usually not free to use the site.

Working around it as best as I can; Good thing I have a working scanner again for the cover art...

either way it's a time period when I'm usually not free to use the site.

Me neither. : (

Why not go to amazon and save image, crop the white border around the image, and use that?

Well, the Amazon image is often not the one I want, since I try to use the edition/cover that matches the actual book.

I usually do a Google search and then select 'Images' at the top. I like to use the edition of the book I'm registering too and most of the time I'm able to find the right edition. Just click on the image you want, right click, and 'Save image as...'

I usually do a Google search and then select 'Images' at the top. I like to use the edition of the book I'm registering too and most of the time I'm able to find the right edition. Just click on the image you want, right click, and 'Save image as...'

If I can't find it I often take a photo of the cover myself.

2 wks ago
RE: Tried two different books

As I posted here 2 weeks ago, if you regsiter a book using the "skip search" function, make sure you also manually enter the ISBN (with no spaces or -'s) , then go back when the gremlins on this bug are sleeping and click “update cover” and the search will work off the details you’ve already entered (isbn, title & author) and automatically give you the cover image based on the isbn.

Me neither...that's 3am-11am here in NZ. I *may* get on around 9am, but generally I'm working then...

We’ve no idea why this is the case, and often it extends outwards of those hours, but not within them.

Perhaps a note to that effect on the actual registration page would help to avoid frustration for those who don't regularly read the forums.

Perhaps a note to that effect on the actual registration page would help to avoid frustration for those who don't regularly read the forums.

Great idea; we can't easily do that just on the registration page, but we've put up a banner on all of the site. When it's clicked away, it should stay gone from then on; this way, hopefully more people will have some idea of what's going on.

registration works with skip search.
Workaround cover:
Search book on Bookcrossing.com or amazon, load Cover to desktop, upload cover.

Maybe it would be a good idea not to release unregistered books with prenumbered labels.

Maybe it would be a good idea not to release unregistered books with prenumbered labels.

I would *never* release an unregistered book with a pre-numbered label. Too much can go wrong when someone who isn't familiar with the site tries to register it. Even when the site is working perfectly.

I would *never* release an unregistered book with a pre-numbered label.

Well, not on ~purpose~ anyway. It's possible that I may have done so by accident. :s

Thanks.

Thanks.

Yes, thanks from me as well.
Shame it's needed but a very good idea while it is!

When it's clicked away, it should stay gone from then on

I don't find this to be true, as it followed me to every page this morning during my process of scanning in another 18 book covers...and the "Update Cover" doesn't work for me either. I always receive the message [No Results Returned. Try adjusting the title and using the author (i.e. The Client Grisham)], but that was happening before this dastardly gremlin👽🐍🐉 joined in the "Search" process. Fortunately, I sometimes have the use of a computer with a scanner so that I am able to scan my book covers in, as neither option of Amazon or Google update the cover for me. I registered close to a hundred books yesterday during the identified time of [9am-5pm USA Mountain standard time (MST)] with spotty functioning...a few books would work with search, and then I'd have to do a few manually, but I am a very patient person with an "adapt and survive" mentality that appreciates alternative methods of accomplishing one's goal, albeit a time consuming process. IT and Programming issues are just that...a time consuming challenge on a GOOD day, and I very much appreciate the BCSUPPORTTEAM and all they do to keep this site up and running even when the GREMLINS INVADE!!! 💖 👽🐍🐉

We’re afraid the search functionality when registering books is still having glitches.

I thought maybe there was some sort of cap on the number of lookups in a day, and since my night is near the end of the 24-hour cycle (HST being close to the date line)...too bad for me!

Thanks for the updates, and I will continue to hope that this issue will be resolved eventually.

I thought maybe there was some sort of cap on the number of lookups in a day,

Based on some remarks from Reno that I seem to remember very vaguely, that may not be far from the truth.

I thought maybe there was some sort of cap on the number of lookups in a day,

Based on some remarks from Reno that I seem to remember very vaguely, that may not be far from the truth.

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9215993

I find the banner useful.

But as a side note, we, whose native language isn't English and/or register books in less common languages find that often "our" books aren't listed on amazon or google and we are used to follow the "skip search" registration process anyway.

Thought we’d drop in to mention that at 8:15am MST on 10 July 2019 the search function (using Google) is working as it should.
This seems a little earlier than normal.

Go forth and register to your heart’s content, and don’t forget if you’ve done any manual registrations and are missing book covers, you can click on “Update Cover” to get those.

Thought we’d drop in to mention that at 8:15am MST on 10 July 2019 the search function (using Google) is working as it should.

Very good! I bought three new books while I was out earlier, not a lot to register compared with some people, but still easier to do when it's working than when it isn't. We in the UK are quite lucky with our time slot, I think - late afternoon and into the evening :-)

and it worked perfectly, cover images and all.

and it worked perfectly, cover images and all.

Yes, it seems to work OK in the evenings. I've never had a problem but then I do all my bookcrossing in the evening. Today, however, as I am on holiday I tried to register a book this afternoon and couldn't get an image for it. Now, this very minute, I've managed to update the cover without a problem.

I was trying to regrister my book, the same ones that i couldn't regrister on monday.
Even fillling out the blanks page to regrister it isnt' working currently, for me :)

I have very little faith that this issue is going to be resolved. Just really would like to set books free. If y’all can’t get it together I will simply send all the nice bookcrossing supplies I bought expecting a full refund and close my account

No, it is not. There is no upgrade available that will help here. So you can see that that's not it.

There is a real problem, and it needs to be fixed by a developer; the problem is that Support has been trying their hardest to get in touch with this developer, and he's been unresponsive for weeks and weeks. I'm very sorry that you're feeling frustrated and you are far from alone.

the problem is that Support has been trying their hardest to get in touch with this developer, and he's been unresponsive for weeks and weeks.

Is this system really so unique that nobody else can work on it? Why not find someone else to fix this and all the other long standing bugs rather than chasing after someone who clearly isn't interested?

Is this system really so unique that nobody else can work on it?

As far as I know, it IS pretty unique; also, they can't just call in someone new and ignore Ron\Reno, who is, after all, a co-founder and to the best of my knowledge, an owner. Plus, he has access to the backend. It's not like a car where anyone can pop open the hood and see what's inside.

And of course, there's not an abundance of resources...

I’ll add to this that I’m pretty sure it would need to be Reno who’d do the allowing access to the backend for someone else to work on the bugs.
And for that to happen, Reno would need to be acknowledging messages, which he is not.

Why on earth would you build a system that no one else can maintain? Bookcrossing has been a big part of my life too but if the owners can't be bothered with it I'm really questioning whether I should invest any more time in it.

It's fine to say wait till the window's open to register your books but how many new users are going to do that? Isn't the point to attract new people to journal our books and register their own? If not we're just talking to ourselves.

..but if the owners can't be bothered ...

To be fair, Reno is one owner. Bruce & Heather the others, and Bruce has been trying just as hard as the Support Team to have this bug looked at.
https://www.bookcrossing.com/team

..but if the owners can't be bothered ...

To be fair, Reno is one owner. Bruce & Heather the others, and Bruce has been trying just as hard as the Support Team to have this bug looked at.
https://www.bookcrossing.com/team

Then maybe Bruce should come onto the forums and explain what he is trying to do to get this nagging issue and many more fixed. He recently sent me a friend request so he is obviously looking on the site.
We understand Ron/Reno is an owner but it is obvious to me and many others that once BC took off no one really cares about maintaining the website, doing upgrades etc. Yes it does take resources but if you do not have the time or money to take care of it why do it at all?
They need money, do a fund raiser or go fund me to get these issues fixed before BC self implodes. I for one will NOT spend 1 more dollar on wings/labels/stickers till I hear from the owners on this issue and what they plan to do to fix it. I know I am only 1 person in BC land but it seems I am no longer alone with my concern and if it does not get fixed soon, I will release all my books remaining without registering them (since I can't with the current system) and be done with Bookcrossing.

Then maybe Bruce should come onto the forums and explain what he is trying to do to get this nagging issue and many more fixed.

I think he might, once he actually has some news to give.
His efforts of trying to secure a resource other than Reno to look into the bug affecting BookCrossing’s basic functionality are much more important uses of his time, in my opinion.
In other words, he can’t tell you anything different than what the Support Team already are, so what’s the point.

I for one will NOT spend 1 more dollar on wings/labels/stickers till I hear from the owners on this issue and what they plan to do to fix it.

Your audience here in this forum thread are the BC Support Team and other BC members, so venting your frustrations at us and outlining your demands of what you want to happen is a little redundant. But, letting off steam can be therapeutic, so go on ahead.

...venting your frustrations at us and outlining your demands of what you want to happen is a little redundant.

I would hope our concerns were being passed on to the owners.

...venting your frustrations at us and outlining your demands of what you want to happen is a little redundant.

It is not a demand J4Shaw but a request and what my personal plans are for my involvement in BC going forward. I know BC support does not really care about little ole me and my request. After 9 years and over 30,000 books registered but no need for BC support to address me in that manner.
But it is different for the OWNER of the company to talk to us members and not just the support team as there is a issue with contacting RENO as stated below:
"Support has been trying their hardest to get in touch with this developer, and he's been unresponsive for weeks and weeks"

I will not post more in this forum regarding issues and just do what I must for me.

I know BC support does not really care about little ole me and my request.

Please do not make these assumptions.
I personally spent some 15 days sending daily (sometime multiple ones in the same day) emails to Reno, which in fact included screenshots of your forum and Facebook posts around your frustrations. I also posted twice daily in this forum thread to indicate the times the pattern of the bug being in effect and when it was not to try and offer a work around to members.
In addition, I personally texted Bruce a screenshot of your FB post, which did get his attention and thus he has started to look at other Tech options beside Reno - which have been fruitless thus far - which I made mention of earlier today in this very thread.

I merely pointed out today who your audience is in this particular forum, and that we (other members and the Support Team) can’t make anything more happen, than what already is.

the problem is that Support has been trying their hardest to get in touch with this developer, and he's been unresponsive for weeks and weeks. I'm very sorry that you're feeling frustrated and you are far from alone.

Very disappointed to hear my thoughts are confirmed. When Reno came back and upgraded the site, I thought great, but when he was slow to fix nagging issues, I wondered if he only did the upgrade to help his new website get exposure and new members!
I love Bookcrossing, and have enjoyed it’s many aspects for 16 years. It is a huge part of my life and I am sad that with all the members we have and the very dedicated support team, that we are dependent on one person who cannot be bothered even to respond.
I will not leave Bookcrossing but fear for it’s future to hold and attract members.

All I can say is that there “may” be an alternative resource, and it’s being explored as an option by Bruce, literally as we speak.

Very disappointed to hear my thoughts are confirmed. When Reno came back and upgraded the site, I thought great, but when he was slow to fix nagging issues, I wondered if he only did the upgrade to help his new website get exposure and new members!

Off-topic: what was that website? The butterfly thing? That's the only one I remember coming across here...

And I know this is different issue but I couldn't find a thread for it just now: all the uploaded cover photos on my bookshelf have disappeared (again). It has happened before and they always came back pretty soon, so I assume this is another problem that comes and goes?

Off-topic: what was that website? The butterfly thing? That's the only one I remember coming across here...

That's the one, I assume.

And I know this is different issue but I couldn't find a thread for it just now: all the uploaded cover photos on my bookshelf have disappeared (again). It has happened before and they always came back pretty soon, so I assume this is another problem that comes and goes?

Same problem for me for the last couple of hours at least. Not only uploaded book cover photos missing, but photos uploaded to JEs too.

I've just started a thread for it.

Let's hope it'll be resolved soon.

cannot find this thread ??

cannot find this thread ??

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/562090/

UPDATE: As at 9:10am MST 19 July 2019
Tested "Echo Park" and search returned results using Google Book Search and UK, US, CA and FR of Amazon.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.