BookCrossing is getting a mobile-friendly makeover!

Forum » BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Hi Everyone!

For the last few months, I've been working on a complete makeover of the BookCrossing site, making the design mobile-phone responsive and looking/working good on any platform.

Along the way through, editing over 260 files, I found and fixed dozens of currently existing bugs.

Notably, book cover lookups should work much better, especially with Google Book search. Related note: Amazon book search severely throttles our requests, based on our amount of affiliate click-thru sales, so I'm featuring Amazon affiliate links more prominently and removing second-tier bookseller links.

There will be a prominent ad (served by Google) in the sidebar for desktop users and in the footer for mobile users, only for non-Wings members. As we've been running in the red for years, this is an attempt to increase revenue and make the project more sustainable. The ads are removable with an adblocker, but of course we would appreciate you not using one and occasionally visiting our ad sponsors, or, even better, getting Wings. :)

We're removing the social network log on / linking options, as they are bug-ridden anyway. If any of you have been logging with successfully with FB, Twitter, or GoodReads, first of all I'm surprised, and second of all, please contact support and they can set you up with a temporary password. (If it happens there are many of you, I can put back those login options.)

We'll also be automatically enforcing SSL by redirecting http:// requests to https://, to make the site more safe and secure without you having to think about it.

Our support team has put it through its paces (thanks for your incredible help folks!) and we've ironed out what bugs were found. I'm sure you all will find some additional issues, and I'll work as quickly as possible to fix them. I'm also sure you'll be shocked by the new look and feel; that's natural for any change of this scale.

If last minute details go as planned, I'll be deploying the new version later this morning. The site may be down for a couple of minutes during the changeover.

We can use this thread for feedback and bug reporting. I'll be online all day and get to your questions as soon as possible in between coding/deploying. Please keep your feedback in this thread relevant to the new version, and not feature requests in general.

Looking forward to seeing this, and thank you for all your hard work.

I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

wingardachywing 2 mos ago
Good luck
I hope the changes go smoothly.

I'll keep my fingures crossed that things will go smoothly

wingiiwiwing 2 mos ago
Yes!
X-posted in the dutch forum with short translation.

wingMoemwing 2 mos ago
RE: Yes!
X-posted in the dutch forum with short translation.

Thank you iiwi!

from an avid Bookcrosser and loyal supporter of this website...since 2003. :)

wingcalissonwing 2 mos ago
Great news
thank you!

And it JUST went live as I was typing a reply :D

Best news about Bookcrossing in ages! Hurrah!

Will you please consider reinstating the bol.com affiliate link for the Dutch bookcrossers? Amazon isn't really active on our market (save for Kindle e-books), and ordering from abroad is expensive and sometimes the Amazon sellers don't ship to our country at all. Bol.com is our big version of Amazon. And so successful they are probably the sole reason Amazon doesn't even try the market here. Over the years, people keep asking about the affiliate link to bol on the Dutch forums.

Also, there may be other regions where this might be a thing, please keep those in mind as well? Less clutter=more good, I get that, but more income=also more good, right ;)

wingRenowing 2 mos ago
Surprise!
shocking, I know. Have a look around. :)

Shocking is right. This is going to take a long time to get used to.

I am so excited to be see new changes and have the ability to use the site better on my phone. I seem to have lost the ability to respond to PM for the moment, however. If I click on the links in my email it brings me to the home page.

So getting lots of practise with the new site. Every time I register one it says Book Registered but is followed by an error message saying there was a problem. The book is there if I go to my profile but I just thought I'd let you know.

That has been happening to me sporadically for a month or so but the books always seem to be registered correctly (or at least I hope so!).

So getting lots of practise with the new site. Every time I register one it says Book Registered but is followed by an error message saying there was a problem. The book is there if I go to my profile but I just thought I'd let you know.

This happened to me often before the change also.

All the links on my profile page just take me to the home page, instead of the threads they're supposed to. What to do?

wait a bit and don't do anything, repair is on the way!

Great, thanks :)

Great, thanks :)

Phew...glad to hear it! still its a big change so there's bound to be one or glitches. Off to explore what else has changed.....

That should be fixed now.

That should be fixed now.

Yes it sure is....you're certainly on the ball. Many thanks for all your hard work & I'm liking what I see so far

wingPoodlesisterwing 2 mos ago
Wow!
I thought I'd logged onto the wrong site. What a transformation. Going to try on my mobile now.

winggreenbadgerwing 2 mos ago
RE: Wow!
Wow indeed! This is going to take some getting used to. :)

Fantastic work, thank you!

thought the aliens took over ;-)

Maybe the newly updated site will make bookcrossing easier for those on other planets.

On my smartphone! So much better!

Woke me up this morning. Thanks for the hard work fixing up the place.

Thanks for this great update!

But this be because of the way I made it.
It's me I see.

On my smartphone it's looking great.
But on the laptop is the forum not so good to read.

This looks great!

That still works!

Love the "clean" format of this site now. It's much easier to read. Awesome job.

... and needs getting used to, but please, please, PLEASE bring back black text for the forums - or at least a <bold>very</bold> dark shade of blue! I really love blue, but it's really hard to read and it's already giving me a headache.

I agree the bright blue is definitely hard on the eyes.

I'm loving the new layout. I haven't tried it on my phone yet, but it's working beautifully on my Chromebook.

Jessi626 2 mos ago
Well done!
I love it! I use the website mostly from my phone and the old one was annoying for that. New one looks great, thank you!

Oh, dear god . Is THAT what happened?

This is HIDEOUS! I’m on my iPad and I thought something was broken.

It wasn’t broke, so why did you “fix” it?

Oh, dear god . Is THAT what happened?

This is HIDEOUS! I’m on my iPad and I thought something was broken.

It wasn’t broke, so why did you “fix” it?

Couldn't agree with you more

Wow, first impressions are great!

I love the new look and it works perfectly on my phone. I've not yet found issues, will report when I come across one.
Thanks for all the hard work you put into this! *takes hat off*

As we've been running in the red for years, this is an attempt to increase revenue and make the project more sustainable. The ads are removable with an adblocker, but of course we would appreciate you not using one and occasionally visiting our ad sponsors, or, even better, getting Wings. :)

With the incredible work done by Reno in updating the site, now seems like a perfect time to run Round 5 of the International Support BookCrossing's Supply Store Sweepstake to add some much needed funds to the coffers!

You can check out the details here: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/556923

Also fixed a bug upon saving edits to your profiles.

Edit: no, still working on a save profile edits bug.

Final edit: ok, saving profile edits should work fine now.

mojosmom 2 mos ago
???
What happened to “reply”, “quote”, etc?

wingMoemwing 2 mos ago
RE: ???

They are the buttons to the bottom right of each post.

wingJ4shawwing 2 mos ago
RE: ???

You will see symbols to the bottom right of a post, the arrow pointing up is for the parent post, the arrow pointing to the left is to reply, the quotation mark is to quote.....if you hover over them with your mouse curser they say what they are (although not sure how this works using a mobile device).

You will see symbols to the bottom right of a post, the arrow pointing up is for the parent post, the arrow pointing to the left is to reply, the quotation mark is to quote.....if you hover over them with your mouse curser they say what they are (although not sure how this works using a mobile device).

I see those symbols when viewing the fora on my laptop, but they don't appear when viewing on my iPhone. All I see is the "up arrow" which, when pressed, jumps to the parent post. The "reply" and "quote" symbols don't exist at all, which makes the fora completely passive. Can't reply or quote, in fact, can't interact at all on my phone. All I can do is read. If the aim of the upgrade is to make the site more "mobile friendly", it's failed completely in that regard.

I can't comment on the rest of the site as I haven't yet had a chance to look around thoroughly.

wingMoemwing 2 mos ago
RE: RE: RE: ???
The "reply" and "quote" symbols don't exist at all, which makes the fora completely passive.

Just to be sure: are you definitely logged in?

The "reply" and "quote" symbols don't exist at all, which makes the fora completely passive.

Just to be sure: are you definitely logged in?

You know, I had the same thought a few minutes ago and double-checked. I have to admit that I *wasn't* logged in. So I logged in and checked again, hoping it would be better. I'm afraid it's not - not only are the "reply" and "quote" symbols not there but the "up arrow" has now also disappeared. On my iPhone (admittedly an old model that's a few years old), all I can do is read the fora.

On my iPhone (admittedly an old model that's a few years old), all I can do is read the fora.

Well, that's no good. I hope it can be fixed!

I know this is a day old, but I can see them. So either it was fixed or they’re visible on iPhone X?

I have just registered my first book on my smart phone. After registering, it came up with an error rather than showing the BCID. Book is sitting on my bookshelf but unless I checked I could inadvertently try to register it again.

mojosmom 2 mos ago
I can’t seem to add a title and then move to the message box . . .
So

To the last person. I’m on an iPad - there is no mouse.

In any case, I thought we were readers here! Bring back text, please.

wingJ4shawwing 2 mos ago
RE: ...
So

↶ is to reply
" is to quote

mojosmom 2 mos ago
RE: RE: ...
So

↶ is to reply
" is to quote

Which is totally irrelevant to the issue I raised in the post you quoted.

Huzza! Working/Looking good on Windows Phone/Edge too. Not much does, so much appreciated!

👍

wingsolittletimewing 2 mos ago
Wowza!
Tried to get on to the forums on my phone and thought the world had gone mad, as I hadn't seen the announcement yet.

So far, all I will say is, This will take some getting used to! What a difference!

But I've got a stack of books to register later today. Will try doing some on the computer, the phone, and the iPad to see how it works on each before making a judgment.

I do most of my BookCrossing on a desktop, but if it makes it easier for those who do all their work on a mobile device it will be worth getting used to another change.

Thanks for all the hard work.

I like how easy it is to update the cover art now and have just added it for quite a few of my registered books. We were previously able to add cover art for books registered by others but which are currently in our possession. Will that be possible again?

I like how easy it is to update the cover art now and have just added it for quite a few of my registered books.

Tried to add covers to newly registered books - it didn't work properly for some time before the change, but it was possible with patiece and changing around the sources. It still doesn't work properly, but it seems there is no way around that now?

Seeing how all the recently registered and released books have cover art now, I’d say the cover lookups are working pretty well.

Seeing how all the recently registered and released books have cover art now, I’d say the cover lookups are working pretty well.

Using this one from you bookshelf: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15284629
If you click "update cover" and hit the blue search button....it gives you cover options.
Does this help?

Updated. But I’m not sure I follow your point.

Using this one from you bookshelf: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15284629
If you click "update cover" and hit the blue search button....it gives you cover options.
Does this help?

Not exactly. I did that and got a "failed" most of the time (as it was for quite some time before)
I didn't choose all the covers that are there, actively, they just popped up some time later. Some of them are from another version of the book and one is from another book by the same author - and I can't change that. Before the makeover, you could copy and load up a cover from another registered book but you can no longer do that.
(I seldom use the search-button when registering a book, because most of the time not all the details are right and entering all of them by hand takes far less time than searching for wrong details and correcting them.)

Before the makeover, you could copy and load up a cover from another registered book but you can no longer do that.

Which part of that is no longer working for you? Uploading a cover from my computer seems to be working well here.

I like how easy it is to update the cover art now and have just added it for quite a few of my registered books. We were previously able to add cover art for books registered by others but which are currently in our possession. Will that be possible again?

I've just tried this and it still works fine. :)

We were previously able to add cover art for books registered by others but which are currently in our possession. Will that be possible again?

Was this previously possible? I don't remember.

At any rate, I would love to be able to do that. I've just checked, and I can't, I can only update the covers of books I registered myself, whether they are in my possession or not. I can't update covers for books in my possession but registered by others.

Yes, it's always been possible, you have to do an advanced search for the book and tick my shelf only.

Yes, it's always been possible, you have to do an advanced search for the book and tick my shelf only.

I’ve just tried your method of approach and was surprised it works. Jumping through hoops to get there!

Is it possible to make this work when the approach is from my own shelf? It would make it easier to find (more logical, to me, as well). It would be more work to do an individual search for each book I want to edit than it is to pull up a list of my books, open the ones to edit in new tabs and work my merry way through them :)

I’ve just tried your method of approach and was surprised it works. Jumping through hoops to get there!

That's because it's currently a loophole, not really a feature. :-)
Whether or not it's going to be turned into a feature, is not yet known.

I don't have a smartphone, but was pleased to see how (relatively) seamless the change was for me using my laptop. Haven't registered any books yet but released quite a few, and all went well so far. I did notice one little item: when I select a photo for a release note, the screen does not show the filename of the file I selected - unless I float my cursor over the "browse files" button, in which case the selected filename shows up. And it does upload correctly - just missing some visual feedback that the selection worked.

Thanks so much for this, Reno!

But I've just edited my Profile (I keep it up to date with what I'm reading) and was disappointed with how small the working area is. Didn't the Extended Profile edit box used to be bigger?

Didn't the Extended Profile edit box used to be bigger?

On most browsers you can grab the bottom right corner and make it bigger by dragging it. Does yours do that maybe?

Didn't the Extended Profile edit box used to be bigger?

On most browsers you can grab the bottom right corner and make it bigger by dragging it. Does yours do that maybe?

It does indeed! Fantastic! Thank you!

That sounds like good news!
I hope that the real life does not interfere too much with your plans and ideas for Bookcrossing.

I hated the old olive green header, but paradoxically now I rather miss it. I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time at all, though. Congratulations on the modern new look and I'm very impressed with how rapidly you're responding to the issues mentioned in this thread.

1. On both laptop and mobile, the header is a little too transparent, so I can see the text scrolling behind it.
2. On my mobile, turned to landscape mode, scrolling down, one third of my screen is taken up with my browser search bar plus open tab name bar plus the BookCrossing header (Safari on iPhone). That doesn't leave much room for the site itself. This doesn't happen when scrolling up.
On the plus side, the font is larger and clearer, so I can already read it better in portrait mode.
3. I second Phoenix-Flight's request to reinstate the bol.com affiliate button for Dutch BCers.

Wow! Yes, a much cleaner, more modern look and feel. I love the bigger font. Thanks so much for all your hard work!

(and yes, I think I do miss a bit of olive green here...but I'm happy and thankful! Great things are happening with BC!)

... but I don't like the new look of the forum at all. It's much more stressful for my eyes - and why did you replace the different buttons (like "reply") by those characterless grey symbols ?

I don't like the new look of the forum at all. It's much more stressful for my eyes

Same with me. Too much white.

I'm having an extremely hard time reading the newly updated website. There is not enough contrast between the letters and the background. Could the letters be darkened somewhat?

I agree, the white background is too stark for me, I'd prefer a warmer colour.

But I seem to be getting that “An Error Occurred” page a lot now.

Also, whatever happened to the ability to highlight and post just a portion of a post? Is that gone now, or is it an iPad issue?

I must agree with those who find the new colors hard on the eyes.

And I notice that on the right, under “Upgrade to wings”, there is a HUGE white space. On my screen (using an iPad), I cannot see the “Recently Released”, etc. unless I scroll down significantly.

whatever happened to the ability to highlight and post just a portion of a post?

This feature works as before, on my laptop.

then maybe it’s an iPad thing. I’ll check when I’m home late tonight to see if it works on my home computer.

I confirm there is quite a large blank space between the "upgrade to wings" and recently released and caught books on desktop version, which I assume will be filled with "prominent ad (served by google)" Reno is talking about in his announcement post.

ETA on Nov. 16: I didn't have to experience the "ads served by google" as TPTB or Support generously renewed my wings (I suppose in return for all the energy spent as RM). Thank you!!!

Thank U for your hard work!!!!!! Thank U!:)

Arigatou!

I brought a big bag o’books to register and release while out this evening, since we are supposed to have a blizzard tonight into tomorrow. Just settled in with my cuppa tea, but when using pre-nums (damn it spellcheck, not pre-bums, pre-nuns, or pre-numerous) I make a Journal Entry as usual, after entering my existing BCID, and the site gives me a new number. It happened twice using the regular JEprocedure for pre-nums.

Since I always use pre-nums I’ve searched my supplies and don’t have any blank bookplates or labels with me, so I’ll have to wait till I get home to enter the new numbers into the books, so I won’t keep trying.

instead of using the pre-num I typed in.

Other than that, changing a cover image worked perfectly and I see a couple of bugs I've asked about long ago have been fixed too.

Good job and thank you, Reno!

I refreshed a page on my phone and boomed--the page came out totally different. I thought I pressed some thing wrong and some browser setting had changed on its own. I dug through the browser settings a bit before I realized it was the site that had changed.

It needs some getting used to, but the new look is very clean and fresh. Thanks for all the behind the scene effort.

Same!!

The site looks fantastic, and I love everything about it. Thank you very much for putting your time into this :)

I'm having a hard time seeing when there are new posts in a thread. It's extremely obvious, on the page with the forum topic page (https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum), that x threads in a forum have new posts, but when I go to a forum, the red numbers on the thread list are very tiny and I have difficulty seeing them. Please make those more obvious.

but when I go to a forum, the red numbers on the thread list are very tiny and I have difficulty seeing them. Please make those more obvious.

I'd agree with that request.

... but I like what I see.
Thank you Reno for the hard work!

I've had a scrollable list of my "books read [this year]" in my profile ever since this was possible, and since the last website makeover, my ordered list always came up without numbers (so, for the time being, I always just entered the numbers too). And suddenly I had to tweak it, because I logged on and now had double numbers!

I also really like how the book covers show up in my "recent activity" box now. They're all the same size, and you can move them along to see some more!

Can't wait to see what everything looks like when it's done (I'm still seeing changes happening around the forums), and of course I'll be refreshing my wings as usual when they run out. Thanks for the good work!

I also really like how the book covers show up in my "recent activity" box now. They're all the same size, and you can move them along to see some more!

I like being able to move the view to see more too.

And the site feels much faster to me. Thanks for that, Reno.

Thank you so much! This is something long longed after on my side! So far it looks really good on my mobile (not at home at the moment).

As a long term wing member, I don't mind at all that there are a few features for wings members only.

Good job! 💙👏

I LOVE the new design and think all of you made and make a great job! :-)

The forum looks fantastic on my smartphone and is much better to read than before.

But this morning I tried two times to register a book with a pre-numbered label. This works fine until the last step (the cover lookup with amazon.de works - incredible :-)), but in the end the book has a totally new BCID.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.