corner corner Welcome back, Friendly BookCrossing Alert Robot

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Welcome back, Friendly BookCrossing Alert Robot

[ I'm happily stealing the subject from rodespringbal's post in the Dutch forum. ;-) ]

So, eventually I found the "tip of a toothpick" that blocked the whole machinery. Finally! *sigh*

In other words:
Digest Alerts for Journal Entries and Release Alerts are back.

During the last hours quite a few thousand emails went out. Of course they still only covered the last 24 hours, I didn't want to have the full backlog of many months be sent ... :-D

From now on it's supposed to come daily again.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
[ I'm happily stealing the subject from rodespringbal's post in the Dutch forum. ;-) ]

So, eventually I found the "tip of a toothpick" that blocked the whole machinery. Finally! *sigh*

In other words:
Digest Alerts for Journal Entries and Release Alerts are back.

During the last hours quite a few thousand emails went out. Of course they still only covered the last 24 hours, I didn't want to have the full backlog of many months be sent ... :-D

Profile Image
Yes! I got mine. I thought it was a miracle!
Thanks miracle worker.
Profile Image
so happy with the returning of the happy robot. My day starts so much better with an email from him/her/it :-)
Profile Image
Really appreciate your efforts and your perseverance!
This is really quite brilliant news!
Profile Image
Thank you.
Profile Image
Good news. Thank you.
Profile Image
YES, INDEED...dancing in circles, throwing confetti into the air, and celebrating your success!!! : ) I HAVE been receiving a few Alerts sporadically during the past few months, and have been on BC sporadically, as well...so I was never able to pin down a pattern to their arrival to be of further assistance. Your tenacity in finally solving this ongoing mystery is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! : D
Profile Image
thank you, Ardik - it was such a pleasure to see the alert in my mailbox!
Profile Image
Hooray! This will make so much difference - thanks so very much!
Profile Image
Thank you ardik, for all your hard work.
I missed this so much. You made my day.
Feels like Christmas in July ;-)
Profile Image
I thought it would never be sorted and felt very sad about that
Profile Image
Very happy to see the alert. 8)
Profile Image
Thanks for all your hard work , its very much appreciated x
Profile Image
Well done and thanks for all your hard work!
Profile Image
Thats so good news. Thank you for the hard work, we truly appreciate it!
Profile Image

Great!

Thanks a lot ardik!
Profile Image
Thank you very much
Profile Image
I was really despairing of it ever returning.

So far, I have not received any. I can't even remember the last time I received a JE via email alert, certainly many many months, even when Bookgirrl and I did tests by making JEs on books we had both shared. She has wings and had begun to receive some but I never did. As soon as I saw this notice yesterday, I emailed her and asked her to make another JE to see if I would get it. She may be away and without email access but so far, I've not had any. But I am still happy to know they have been restored and are working again. So thanks for your hard work on this tough problem.
Profile Image
Such good news! Thank you so much ardik!
Profile Image
Profile Image
I hope it works even for no-wings BCers, but thanks for the work and dedication anyway.
Profile Image
I hope it works even for no-wings BCers

That's how it's supposed to work, yes.
Profile Image
Well, I had a friend make a JE on a book we both share last night and so far, no sign of an email alert. I will wait a full 24 hours and then report back. I am happy that the alerts are working for others so quickly but still a bit sad that I am not yet among them.
Profile Image

Great news! Congratulations and a huge THANK YOU!!!
:D
Profile Image

Question.

If alerts are supposed to come in *daily*, does that mean only once every 24 hours? And is it 24 hours from the time the journal entry is made?

I have had 2 fellow bc'ers make journal entries on books of mine since yesterday and neither has arrived in my email as an alert yet. I don't have wings but supposedly, this is not supposed to be a relevant factor. Should I wait till tonight or is this already considered a glitch that isn't working? As far as I know, my profile is set to daily alerts as I have never changed it.

Profile Image

RE: Question.

If alerts are supposed to come in *daily*, does that mean only once every 24 hours? And is it 24 hours from the time the journal entry is made?

Yes to the first question. No to the second: as far as I know, there is no relation with the time when a journal entry is made.
Have you checked your spam folder? Sometimes BC emails get marked as spam by members' email providers.
In some cases, this happens at an earlier level so you never even get to see them because the provider doesn't send it on to you. In that case it's harder to detect.
Profile Image
I always check my spam folder because recently, some regular emails end up there. I simply redirect them back to my inbox. In any case, no JE alerts have arrived as yet.
Profile Image

I have had 2 fellow bc'ers make journal entries on books of mine since yesterday and neither has arrived in my email as an alert yet. I don't have wings but supposedly, this is not supposed to be a relevant factor. Should I wait till tonight or is this already considered a glitch that isn't working? As far as I know, my profile is set to daily alerts as I have never changed it.

I had to go into manage profile and tick the check box for daily alerts for it to work again . Not sure why it had become unchecked. May be worth ensuring yours is still ticked.
Profile Image
I did that. However, what I found a bit odd was that once in edit my profile, under *Notification preferences*, all the boxes that I want are ticked, including journal alerts. There is no option there for how frequent, just yes or no.

But a bit lower down, under the section that says what you can do when you purchase wings, it says I can *edit* features such as journal alerts if I purchase wings.

Still, it seems to me that if I have checked *yes* to receiving journal alerts, even without wings, I ought to be receiving them. And if others without wings are now receiving email alerts, then something isn't working. So far, since yesterday's announcements, nada. No alerts at all. I know the 2 books that my bc friends have journalled for me, as a test, because I went into my shelf and the books themselves and can see them. Just no email alerts at all, meaning that if I hadn't checked, I wouldn't know about them. I can still wait until tomorrow to see if anything changes, but as of now, the fix doesn't seem to be fixed for me.
Profile Image
made journal entries? I seem to remember that might make a difference...

Though with my memory, that may be wrong.
Profile Image
what I found a bit odd was that once in edit my profile, under *Notification preferences*, all the boxes that I want are ticked, including journal alerts. There is no option there for how frequent, just yes or no.

But a bit lower down, under the section that says what you can do when you purchase wings, it says I can *edit* features such as journal alerts if I purchase wings.

Exactly. Where's the oddness? Choosing individual alerts is a Wings feature.

Here's a week of Wings so you can try it out and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, there is most likely something wrong on the receiving end. Maybe you have a different email address that you can try?
Profile Image
'So happy to read this. BX'ing just doesn't work without alerts! I will let my Mom (Bucklesbook) know - she is 90 years old and will be very happy too. Thanks for all your hard work.
Profile Image

Excellent!

A pleasant surprise to receive an alert today. Thanks!
Profile Image
Thank you Ardik, makes it worthwhile opening my email ; - )
Profile Image

Finally!!

Well, it was a bit more than 24 hours, but the first alert in months HAS ARRIVED. Thank goodness.

Thank you!
Profile Image
Thank you very much Ardik :)
Profile Image
Such happy news and so grateful for your perseverance and hard work on this issue!
Profile Image
Thanks, I've missed them.
Profile Image
I've gotten my first two in the last couple of days for the first time since mid-November of last year. I'm thrilled and grateful. About time I ordered myself some wings. . . .
Profile Image
So, eventually I found the "tip of a toothpick" that blocked the whole machinery.
Thanks for searching ;-)
Profile Image
So, eventually I found the "tip of a toothpick" that blocked the whole machinery.
Thanks for searching ;-)

immer diese Zahnstocher! Danke für Deine Hartnäckigkeit bei der Suche :))
Profile Image
Thank you!

I received an email with a journal entry and a release alert very early this morning! Love it!
Profile Image
thanks a lot !
Profile Image
Fantastic! A big fat thank you, Ardik! :-)
Profile Image
And well done !
Profile Image
and as promised, although I can't afford a year, the moment I get my next JE email I will sign up for a month of wings.
Profile Image
Got my first daily alert today and as promised - paid for a month of wings.
Now if only the paypal payment was instantly applied you'd know by the logo :)
Profile Image
I didn't want to have the full backlog of many months be sent ... :-D

Feigling, Feigling, Feigling!!! *grinzzzzzzzz*
Profile Image
Thank you very much, it is a great pleasure for me and all other bookcrossers :-)
Profile Image
Hooray! Thank you ardik! :D
Profile Image

Wonderful!!!

Ganz tollen herzlichen Dank!
Profile Image

Great news!

I´m getting JE and release alerts again! Thank you so much. I really missed them!!
Profile Image

Thank you

It's great to wake up to an alert in a morning again :) I really missed them.
Profile Image

Youpie !

Merci !
Profile Image
Merci !

Et encore merci :)
Profile Image
Merci, merci, MERCI !!!
Profile Image
And, thanks Ardik for replying so quickly to my Mom. (Bucklesbook) She has tried 2x to send a donation to BX'ing via the post, and both times, the envelopes have came back. What is the correct snail mail address for BX'ing? It's $2 a pop to mail stuff to the USA!
Profile Image

Thank you!

I know you have long and hard in fixing this problem, donating much of your personal time in this, so I really appreciate you, and all the support team, in helping keep this site running nicely!
Profile Image

This is such good news. Phew!!!!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.