corner corner Update on the downloadable labels (28 January 2016)

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
I still can't find the downloadable blank labels...have I gone blind?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I'm pleased to announce that the bug that kept the downloadable free labels from showing on the site has been identified and the fix will go into place shortly. It has been a ideal from the start of BookCrossing to keep the essentials of BookCrossing free, and that's why we're continuing to offer blank labels, and sample wording you can use to write inside a book if you do not use a label.

The prenumbered label downloads will continue to be available two ways: though the Store, or free to members with wings (which are available for a small fee in the store.) We wish we could continue to offer those for free, but the escalation of costs to keep the site running mean we had to make some adjustments. We would rather be able to offer the prenumbered labels this way than have to revamp our philosophy of offering the basic elements of BookCrossing without cost. While prenumbered labels are a great help to many people, they are not essential to actually set a book free. (And for those of you worried about our OBCZs, we do gift them with free wings in thanks for helping support the site.)

Thank you for understanding that times and needs change. We hope that should finances allow, we can return downloadable prenumbered labels to the site at the basic level.
Profile Image
It's good to have a clear answer, and I'm happy to see the free blank downloadable labels return. They are after all a staple of BookCrossing. And it's not too hard to either buy Wings, or simply write the BCIDs (normal ones, or prenumbered ones) on them by hand.
Profile Image
Thank you very much, indeed! : )
Profile Image
"And for those of you worried about our OBCZs, we do gift them with free wings in thanks for helping support the site".

The perfect solution!
Profile Image
Thanks for the clarification.
Profile Image
Just joined Wings. Cannot figure what I should see as a member, and where to find the labels, now that I have joined.

I thought from the announcement above, that they are currently available to Wings, and that the bug did not affect this group.

If the bug did affect all, have I joined Wings too soon since I cannot use it?

AS you can see I am keen to release a bunch of books!
Profile Image
Just joined Wings. Cannot figure what I should see as a member, and where to find the labels, now that I have joined.

I thought from the announcement above, that they are currently available to Wings, and that the bug did not affect this group.

If the bug did affect all, have I joined Wings too soon since I cannot use it?

AS you can see I am keen to release a bunch of books!

Have fun registering, labeling and releasing!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/labels
Profile Image
Thanks very much - I could not locate the link - appreciate the help.
Cheers
Profile Image
Thanks Bruce. Appreciate the update.
Profile Image
Thanks for the information, it's good to see the benefit of supporting the site by purchasing wings.
Profile Image

Profile Image

Under the "information" tab there's a "how to BookCross" page; the bit about downloading free labels includes a link to the labels page on the word "download". (There may be other places that link to that page, but that's the most straightforward one that I know of since the site-change.)

What I did was save the PDF file for the blank BC labels to my PC, so I can just print it from there!
Profile Image

Or, if you find it more convenient, use the direct link:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/labels

If that doesn't work, it means the change announced by Bruce has not been implemented yet and you need wings in the interim to access the labels. Ask for a week's wings, on the house, by clicking on Contact Us.
Profile Image
Hi

Although I now understand the rationale for this change and have no objection to the decision, I would just like to point out that as a newbie to BC'ing it has been really frustrating to find out that pre-numbered labels are no longer available as this is not what it says in the faq's and label printing pages of the site....

"Download label files and print them to your home printer onto standard label stock. Our labels are pre-numbered and designed for Avery 5163 or 5263, 10-up label sheets. The individual labels are 2"x4". You can print either 1 sheet (10 labels) or 10 sheets (100 labels) at a time. The BCID range you print will be automatically recorded as "belonging" to you,..."
(from www.bookcrossing.com/labels)

It's taken a couple of days and quite a lot of google-fu to find out why I can't find the link for pre-numbered labels.

Please, please can you change the text to reflect the actual situation. I would have not known there had ever been the option of pre-numbered labels had this been updated. Now I miss the feature!

Thxs MrDTB

Profile Image
I would just like to point out that as a newbie to BC'ing it has been really frustrating to find out that pre-numbered labels are no longer available as this is not what it says in the faq's and label printing pages of the site....

Good point! I will change the FAQ text; that much, I can do. And welcome to BookCrossing!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.