corner corner Now I'm mad

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Complete Thread

Profile Image
You're not wrong.
Profile Image
Apparently, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has revoked the program. He's tweeted:

"I am directing the Dept. of Corrections to rescind its flawed pilot program that restricted shipment of books & care packages to inmates. Concerns from families need to be addressed, while we redouble efforts to fight prison contraband."

https://twitter.com/---/951886741484589056
Profile Image

Oooh

Cross post this into Chit Chat maybe?
I know of some people who don't venture much out of that forum who would no doubt like to discuss this
Profile Image
Sadly, I have a friend who is in prison. I have always sent him used books, but, when he was moved to a different prison, he could no longer receive books from me. The books had to come from an actual book vendor. I now use Amazon, Amazon marketplace (with actual bookstore vendors), B&N, and Abebooks. This has turned out to be just fine, I buy the least expensive used book. Often shipping is cheap or free. I find that it costs the same or even less to obtain and ship books this way. With the new program, i am not limited to softcover books. I can now also buy hardcover books. My friend plans on keeping the books for himself for a while and then later turning them over to the prison library. For me, this is a win-win situation.
Profile Image
The books had to come from an actual book vendor. I now use Amazon, Amazon marketplace (with actual bookstore vendors), B&N, and Abebooks. This has turned out to be just fine, I buy the least expensive used book. Often shipping is cheap or free. I find that it costs the same or even less to obtain and ship books this way.

Good idea!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.