February audiobook thread

Forum » Book Talk | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

How come nobody reminded me?? Oops. Oh well, better late than never.

I just picked up a new audiobook from the library yesterday: Moonglow by Michael Chabon. It will be my first book by this author, though I have heard good reviews.

What's in your ears this month?

I'm nearing the end of The Jekyll Revelation ( https://www.audible.com/---/B01LXZKETW ), which toggles between the later years of Robert Louis Stevenson and a modern-day plot in which a ranger/ecologist discovers a trunk containing Stevenson's journal - and a mysterious elixir. The story mixes the Jekyll/Hyde plot with hints of Dorian Grey and tie-ins to Jack the Ripper - all rather fun - but alas, the modern-day characters aren't as well-drawn as the 19th-century ones, and the modern-day protagonist keeps making really, really foolish mistakes. If this were a print book I'd be skimming those parts - I want to know what happens but I don't want yet another case of "why don't you just TELL her that!" or "what, you didn't even check your fuel supply???" {wry grin}.

The narrator is very good; pity the book has these flaws.

Finished King Peggy by Peggielene Bartels today and absolutely loved it!

The next I want to listen to is A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Mass. I heard so many good things about this series that I want to give it a try.

Finished the Jekyll Revelation - rather disappointing conclusion, alas. Ah, well, can't win 'em all! I've moved on to:

Get Well Soon ( https://www.audible.com/---/B01MTC3V6Y ) by Jennfer Wright, a slightly irreverent pop-culture look at the history of plagues, narrated by Gabra Zackman. So far I'm enjoying it a lot; the narrator's quite good, and the author's tone is informational-with-humor, a bit like Mary Roach.

...and enjoyed it very much. Have moved on to The Last One ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/4989450 ), in which the players in a TV reality-show happen to be stranded in the wilderness when some kind of global plague strikes. (Or doesn't - I honestly have no idea how this is going to turn out!) Anyway, the audiobook opens with a third-person narrator setting the scene, and switches to a first-person view from a woman who seems to be the sole survivor - but she still thinks she's in a reality show, and her survival tricks are all part of the game...

I finished listening to All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda which was not a good choice for an audiobook. It is told in reverse chronological order (like the movie Memento which I also just watched) but when you are listening it is hard to keep track of who revealed what and when. In a print book one could flip back to check on things but that is much more difficult with an audiobook.

Now I am listening to The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son on Life, Love and Loss. The mother and son in this case are Gloria Vanderbilt and her photographer son Anderson Cooper and they do the narration. I wasn't sure if I would like this but I am finding it fascinating. I knew very little about Gloria before I started listening. She certainly has lived an eventful life.

Thanks for this recommendation. I bought the hard copy for my mum but I think I'd enjoy the audiobook, myself. I just requested it from my library! Which is a good thing as I have started and abandoned 2 audiobooks in the last week or so so it's good to have something to look forward to.

called *A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future*. I am quite sure I had read it before but when I saw the audiobook for only $5, I couldn't resist. I almost never buy audiobooks, preferring to go the library route, but I love this guy. He is so wise and has such a positive attitude, it's just what the doctor ordered, in these days of incessant craziness in the news

I recently discovered that Audible has new original, true crime podcast that is interactive called 'West Cork'. It sounds really cool and is FREE to download through May 9th of this year. Here's a link to 'West Cork': https://www.audible.com/pd/Nonfiction/West-Cork-Audiobook/B0792F5VBW?ref=a_a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=e81b7c27-6880-467a-b5a7-13cef5d729fe&pf_rd_r=TB5DZFC87MHDRS0AKC3M&

I finished The Last One, and enjoyed it - though there was a bit of ending-fatigue. Have moved on to a change of pace, Iris Murdoch's The Sea, The Sea ( https://www.audible.com/---/B06ZYCZWDZ ), which I chose largely because it's narrated by Simon Vance. (The aging-actor/stormy-seaside elements also appealed to me.) One annoying note: there's a lengthy introduction, narrated by a different reader, which takes up over an hour of listening time up front. While I do sometimes appreciate a good introduction, I generally prefer to read them *after* I've read the book - and in this case I found the intro to be a more in-depth literary analysis of the book than I wanted. This kind of thing's easier to skip in print than in audio - but I did skip much of it once I realized it wasn't a simple 4-5-page intro!

Read by Prentice Onayemi

I just finished this fabulous audiobook detailing the experiences of two New York City families during the 2008 financial crisis: an immigrant family from Cameroon, the Jonga family, and their wealthy employers, the Edwards family. I know it's early to say, but this will probably be one of my favorite books for the year. And I'm sure the reader truly enhanced the story.

It's the first book I've 'borrowed' via the OverDrive system, a library-associated way to download and borrow both audio and e-books.

Anyway, good book! never sappy, sometimes funny, sometimes sad, recommended.

by Cixin Liu, narrated by Luke Daniels. It is science fiction and I am fascinated by it. It takes place in China in two different times, one during the Cultural Revolution and one which is probably in the near future. A computer game set on a world that has three suns is a preparation for aliens coming to Earth. I'm no gamer so some of the computer game seems far-fetched to me but maybe it's achievable in the near future.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.