corner corner 2/1 - 2/4 What are you reading to start this month?

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

2/1 - 2/4 What are you reading to start this month?

Share anything you want about the book

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Share anything you want about the book
Profile Image
1. The Last Fish Tale by Mark Kurlansky NF 12/29/11 [258 pages] -- somehow I have 2 copies of this book; I have had it since 2011. I enjoyed Cod by this author so I decided to read this one.

2. Pretties by Scott Westerfeld audio -- a YA book; it is the 2nd in the series; I am debating if I will finish the series

3. If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name by Heather Lende NF KTM 8/3/17 [281 pages] -- almost 1/2 way through this book; I am making it a goal to read a lot of my books from other BCers. I have too many of them - around 70. I have read 7 so far this year.

ALL YEAR: Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles Cowman
Profile Image
Pretties by Scott Westerfeld audio

If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name by Heather Lende

Beginning
The Map of Heaven by Eben Alexander
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13259827

Map of Bones by James Rollins
http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/
Profile Image

Up to 4 now

A paperback mystery from the library for reading at home: Death of an Elgin Marble by David Dickinson, one from his Lord Francis Powerscourt series.

Nonsense novel on the Kindle for carrying around and when I'm in the right mood at home as well: Once Upon a Time Travel by Sariah Wilson which is Very Silly!

Because both nonfictions I've chosen for this month are episodic, one started life as a regular column in The Times and the other's mostly diary extracts, so both are more suitable for reading in short bursts than long stints, I've decided to run them in tandem:
The Last Word by Ben Macintyre
The World of Samuel Pepys by Robert and Linnet Latham
Profile Image

Update

Nonsense novel on the Kindle for carrying around and when I'm in the right mood at home as well: Once Upon a Time Travel by Sariah Wilson which is Very Silly!

Finished it. It didn't get any more sensible! LOL!
Amy Snow by Tracy Rees on the Kindle next.
Profile Image
Amy Snow by Tracy Rees on the Kindle next.

A nice light read. I enjoyed it. It took me to Victorian York, one of my favourite cities, although I know it in the present not the past, of course! Some of the action was actually in Heworth, then a separate village, now part of the suburbs, where I was yesterday, not knowing I'd be back there in my book this morning!
Nothing else on my Kindle fits plum's February reading theme, so I'll probably read my oldest unread download next, On Canaan's Side by Sebastian Barry.
Profile Image
A paperback mystery from the library for reading at home: Death of an Elgin Marble by David Dickinson, one from his Lord Francis Powerscourt series.

It took a while,I kept getting distracted, but I've finished it now. I do enjoy this series :-)
Profile Image
... "My Brilliant Friend" by Elena Ferrante (not yet registered) for an upcoming book club discussion and am having a lot of trouble getting into it so far. I'm also reading "The View From Mary's Farm" by Edie Clark ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13670243 ). I am not very far into it yet, but I am enjoying it so far. It is about life in rural New Hampshire.
Profile Image
I'm struggling to get through classic Russian dystopian novel... I'm not sure if it's the translation that is slowing my reading down, the poor ebook formatting for this novel, or if I simply don't like the book period.

I've learned that this novel was the 1st banned book in Russia and that this novel was the direct nspiration for such works as:

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World (1932)
Ayn Rand's Anthem (1938)
George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949)
Kurt Vonnegut's Player Piano (1952)
Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed (1974)

I have about 28 pages left to read of this novel and am hoping to finish reading it today.
Profile Image
I finished reading We by Yevgeny Zamyatin last night and was disappointed with it!
Profile Image
I'm enjoying this one quite a bit. Maisie is a young woman who had served as a nurse during WWI and in in 1929 set up as a private investigator. I am currently in the middle section of the book which tells Maisie's history from 1910-1919. I have some others in this series that I'm sure I'll be reading soon.
Profile Image
The Word Ghost by Christine Paice

I have just started it this morning and am not sure about it yet.
Profile Image
Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7551487 one of my oldest ABC TBRs.

The e-book is easier to carry for the commute as this one is 529 pages.
Profile Image
A tiny dragon guards an illustrated manuscript for 600 years eventually ending up in 20th century America.
Profile Image
Discovery of Chocolate ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14881545/ ), a novel about a Spanish conquistador who winds up immortal after falling for a local woman - and then spends centuries roaming the earth...
Profile Image
A bit of a chunkster, the biography of Leonard Cohen, called *I'm Your Man*, by Sylvie Simmons, and another one, a new book, called **Forgiveness* by Mark Sakamoto. It's also something of a memoir, and is one of the 5 finalists for Canada Reads. I bought it today, along with another of the contenders, called *Precious Cargo* but I won't begin that one until at least later in the month, probably.
Profile Image
A historical novel about John Tradescant, royal gardener.
After casting around, trying multiple books and failing to get interested, it is so NICE to sink into a good book!
Profile Image
Someone recently gave me this book. It is on my TBR shelf
Profile Image
A historical novel about John Tradescant, royal gardener.

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9734260/
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12945552/
I recommend you follow it with its sequel Virgin Earth which focuses on his son.
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12945563/
Profile Image
Irena's Children by Tilar J. Mazzeo
Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich
Gift From The Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Profile Image
Read Irena's Children last year. What a brave woman.
Profile Image
and have different prompts for it. At the moment I will be reading:

Rocky Road to Romance by Janet Evanovich
Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne Fluke
A Dog Year by Jon Katz
Profile Image
and have different prompts for it. At the moment I will be reading:

Rocky Road to Romance by Janet Evanovich
Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne Fluke
A Dog Year by Jon Katz

Finished two of the above, I am adding:
Valentine Murder by Leslie Meier
Profile Image
Not On Love Alone ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14813414/ ), a handsomely-illustrated cookbook with amusing personal tips and anecdotes. (I've already marked some recipes that I want to try.)

As the Crow Flies ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14891327/ ), a graphic novel about a girl, "13 years old, black, queer, and questioning what was once a firm belief in God", on a camping trip with an all-white church group. So far the story focuses on Charlie's uncertainties and fears, mingled with the well-intentioned but sometimes clumsy statements of the group leader, and the ups and downs of an arduous multi-day hike...
Profile Image
Sheila Levine wants to get married. She travels, goes to every social gathering to which she is invited, ruthlessly cuts off girls who are talking to her at parties because they’re wasting time that might be spent talking to any men available and endures boring sex with a guy she doesn’t particularly like for seven years (!) in the hopes that he will marry her. Now she’s on a trip to France with her taller, prettier, skinnier friend Linda. Do I have to tell you what happens next?

Excerpt:

Linda was next to the window, and I sat in the middle. Next to me on the other side was a very quiet, always reading, work-shirt-corduroy-pants type of guy. He managed to see past me, which was not easy to do, right into Linda’s eyes. They talked over my stomach.

“Is this your first trip?” (Him)

“Yeah. I’m so excited I could die.” (Linda)

“Me too.” (Me)

“You’re going to love it. I’ve been going every year for the last five years, and each year I love it more.” (Him)

“You’ve been there five times? How fantastic!” (Linda)

“Fantastic!” (Me)

“What’s your name?” (Him)

“Linda. What’s yours?” (Linda)

“Charles.” (Charles)

“I’m Sheila.” (Me, Sheila)

Do I have to tell you that when I got up to go to the bathroom, he moved over into my seat? Do I have to tell you that when we landed, Charles got his luggage and Linda’s luggage and that I schlepped my own through customs and to the cab? Do I have to tell you that he suggested a small boardinghouse, very nice, very clean, very cheap, including breakfast, with adjoining rooms? Do I have to tell you that Linda and Charles skipped around town together night and day in each other’s arms, their London Fogs flapping in the breeze? And do I have to tell you that I saw the Tower of London, the Palace, Parliament, Soho, Piccadilly Circus, etc., etc., etc. all by myself, alone, on a crowded bus tour? Do I have to tell you that I have a lot of strangers in my slides?

End of excerpt.
Profile Image
Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin was a lawyer who wrote a witty dissertation about gastronomy, the enjoyment of food. He wrote and published it anonymously, at his own expense, because he didn’t fancy himself a writer.

A general prejudice about the French has them as being unbearably smug, arrogant and superior in their attitude that their country is the best at everything. However, even though he was born in France, Brillat-Savarin admitted that his language wasn’t always adequate as a tool for conveying his ideas. In fact, he scoffed at his contemporaries who argued that French must be kept pure and unsullied because it is the best that it can be and needed no improvement. Quelle surprise!

Excerpt:

I am completely persuaded that the French language, my own, is comparatively thin. And what can be done to strengthen it? Borrow or steal!

I do both, since such borrowings are not subject to repayment, and the theft of words is not punishable by law.

I well know that the classicists will call up the names of Bossuet and Fénélon to shame me, of Racine and Boileau and Pascal and others of the time of Louis XIV. I can already hear them, making a frightful fuss about it!

To all of which I reply calmly that I am far from denying the merits of any of those writers, whether I named them or merely implied their existence. But what does that prove? Nothing at all, unless it is that although they did the best they could with an inadequate tool, they would have done incomparably better with a superior one. It is the same as saying that Tartini would have played even better on the violin if his bow had been as long as Baillot’s.

I am, apparently, on the side of the neologists and even of the romanticists; the latter discover hidden treasures in our language, and the former are like mariners who sail to far lands to seek out what we need.

Northern people, especially in England, have an immense advantage over us in this respect: there, genius is never hampered in its expression, but creates or borrows freely as it wills. One result is that our translators, especially of works of great depth and vitality, never make more than pale and twisted copies of the originals.

I once heard at the Institute a most expert discourse on the danger of neologism, the need to protect our language from inventions and to preserve it as it was when the writers of the Golden Age marked out its heights and depths.

As a chemist would, I passed this opinion through the crucible of my logic. Here is what was left in the ashes: We have done so well that there is no way to do better, nor to do otherwise.

However, I have lived long enough to know that each generation says the same thing, and is inevitably laughed at by the men who live in the next one.

Besides, how can words rest unchanged when morals and ideas show a continuous flux? Even if we do what our forefathers did, we cannot do it in the same way: there are whole pages in some of the old French texts that could never be translated into either Latin or Greek.

Every tongue has had its birth, its apogee, its fading, and not a single one, from Sesostris to Philip Augustus, exists now except in the monuments of its antiquity. It will happen thus to French: in 2825 A.D. I shall be read only with a dictionary, if at all…

End of excerpt.
Profile Image
I started reading this young adult romance novel as I thought would be a perfect Valentine's Day reading.
Profile Image
When eleven year old Tom Harding finds out he is a half fairy/half human demisprite he and his three newly discovered fairy godmothers must save his father who is hiding in the fairy realm.
Profile Image
A murder mystery book set in Michigan.
Profile Image
Started and finished this earlier today. This author somehow doesn't work for me. This book was no exception. Although I read it in on sitting in something like 5 hours, well, I'm not enthused about it...
Profile Image
Penguins Stopped Play ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14872128/ ), a book about a team of not-very-adept cricket players and their global adventures. Surprisingly funny, even though I know very little about cricket!

I've also been enjoying George O'Connor's "Olympians" series, a graphic-novel re-telling of various Greek myths, with each book focusing on a particular god or goddess (though their stories intertwine so much that it can be tricky remembering who's supposed to be the star sometimes). Most recently, Aphrodite ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14871015 ).
Profile Image
I've just finished Natalie Y. Moore's "The South Side : a portrait of Chicago and American segregation". It's a bit scatter-shot, and the story has been told in more depth in other books, but it's interesting in the way she incorporates her own and her family's experiences.

I have started John Mauceri's "Maestros and their Music: the Art and Alchemy of Conducting", and for light reading have picked up Margaret Maron's latest, "Take Out", a Sigrid Harald mystery.
Profile Image
Mssr. Brillat-Savarin may have been a notable lawyer, bon vivant, traveller and gourmand. That being stated, this reader couldn’t help perceiving his casual racism.

Excerpt:

Starch is the base of bread, of cakes, and of thick soups of all kinds, and for this reason forms a very great part of almost every person’s nourishment.

It has been observed that such a diet softens a man’s flesh and even his courage. For proof one can cite the Indians, who live almost exclusively on rice and who are the prey of almost anyone who wishes to conquer them.

End of excerpt.

Nor does he bother to hide his mild misogyny.

Excerpt:

A few years ago I went to look at a country house near Paris on the banks of the Seine opposite the island of Saint-Denis, in a little hamlet which consisted mainly of eight fishermen’s huts. I was struck by the number of children who swarmed along the road.

I mentioned my astonishment to the boatman with whom I was crossing the river. “Sir,” he said, “there are only eight families of us here, and we have fifty-three children, forty-nine of them girls and only four boys, one of them my own.” As he spoke, he straightened himself triumphantly, and pointed out to me a little rascal five or six years old, stretched out on the bow of the boat, crunching away happily on some raw crayfish.

From this incident, which happened more than ten years ago, and from various others which I cannot very well recount with discretion, I have been led to think that the reproductive activity induced by a fish diet may well be more exciting than it is full-bodied and substantial; I am even more inclined to believe this since, quite recently, Doctor Bailly has proved, by a series of facts observed during almost a full century, that every time the birth of girls greatly outnumbers that of boys in an annual census, the overabundance of females is directly due to debilitating circumstances. This may well indicate to us the origin of the pleasantries which have always been made to the man whose wife has just presented him with a daughter.

End of excerpt.
Profile Image
Finished Rose McGowan's memoir "Brave" on Saturday. Pretty much read it straight thorough. It made me very grateful for my childhood and life.

then read "Thin Ice; The Complete, Uncensored Story of Tonya Harding"
by Frank Coffey/Joe Layden on Sunday. It was quite short. Somehow I thought the book was written recently, as it was a new release on Overdrive and the movie "I, Tonya" is on at the theatres, but it was written in the '90's soon after Kerrigan's assault. I am thinking about seeing the movie.
Profile Image
I am thinking about seeing the movie.

Oh, themed release. You could release it at the theater.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.