corner corner Canada Reads 2018 Short List

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Canada Reads 2018 Short List

The short list for the annual battle of Canadian books was just announced. I have not read any of them so if anyone has I would be interested in knowing what you thought:
American War by Omar El Akkad
The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline
The Boat People by Sharon Bala
Precious Cargo by Craig Davidson
Forgiveness by Mark Sakamoto

The theme for this year's contest is "The One Book to Open Your Eyes".

Complete Thread

Profile Image
The short list for the annual battle of Canadian books was just announced. I have not read any of them so if anyone has I would be interested in knowing what you thought:
American War by Omar El Akkad
The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline
The Boat People by Sharon Bala
Precious Cargo by Craig Davidson
Forgiveness by Mark Sakamoto

The theme for this year's contest is "The One Book to Open Your Eyes".
Profile Image
This looks like a very good list. I've read American War and Forgiveness, and I liked both very much. I've not read anything by Craig Davidson but I recently attended a local book event featuring horror writers and he was reading from Little Heaven, published under his pseudonym Nick Cutter. I've been meaning to try some of his work ever since.

I am disappointed Tomboy Survival Guide by Ivan Coyote did not make it, as that was one of my favourite books from last year.
Profile Image
that I hope to/plan to read. I've put a hold on them from the library but there are far too many requests for far too few copies. I may have to cave and purchase them. Looks like a good lineup and a good panel of defenders this year!
Profile Image
hmm..A couple of them are technically science fiction. I may recommend them to my SF women's book club
Profile Image
hmm..A couple of them are technically science fiction. I may recommend them to my SF women's book club

Good idea! :)

I haven't read The Marrow Thieves yet but American War would definitely generate good book-club discussion.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.