2017 Reading Statistics

Forum » Book Talk | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

I seem to remember that some Januaries those of us who record such things have posted some sort of breakdown of our reading habits in the previous year - or maybe I just dreamed it!

Anyway, as I've just worked out my 2017 statistics, I thought I'd make a note here and then anyone who's interested could compare and contrast or whatever . . . .

During 2017, I read all or part of 288 books, including 2 which were carried forward from 2016.
I finished 264 of them and abandoned 24 before the end.
29 were nonfiction
17 were short story collections
5 were re-reads
2 were poetry
and only 4 were old enough that I’d call them classics.

138 were on the Kindle

Of the printed books:
17 were less than 200 pages and 9 were over 500 pages (not counting appendices and bibliographies etc)
15 came to me already registered by other BookCrossers
35 were on loan from libraries in 4 different towns
and 1 was on loan from a friend.

How about you? What things do you record? That's if you do any recording at all, of course! I know lots of you just read :-)

Total 36 books read (finished my GR challenge, hurray!), 19 of them in English, 4 in German. Liked (4 or 5 stars) about a third of them.

Main genres read are sci-fi (8), fantasy (6), contemporary (5). Out of comfort zone reading - poetry (1), short stories (2), mystery/thrillers (2)

Main settings (for non-fantasy/outer space books): UK (9), Russia (5), rest of Europe (5), North America (14). Rare countries setting - Israel (1), Uzbekistan (1), Armenia (1)

Favourite authors (one of the goals of the year) count: Ishiguro (2), Picoult (1), Mieville (1), Gaiman (1)

I read or listened to 140 books last year. There were 34 audiobooks so I guess that means 106 were paper (as I don't read on any device). 44 books came from the library and 44 were on Mount TBR before 2017. Sixty-nine books were written by males, seventy were written by females and 1 was written by a male and female team. Fifty-seven books were by Canadian writers, exceeding the goal I set myself for the Canadian Sesquicentennial to read 50 books by Canadians. I read 14 books that were non-fiction of some type, 25 mysteries or thrillers, 21 science fiction and 9 fantasy. I'm not sure how many would be considered classics but I did read 12 books from the 1001 Books To Read Before you Die list. I classified 10 books with 10 stars, 30 with 9 stars and 46 with 8 stars so it was a pretty good reading year.

I read or listened to 140 books last year. There were 34 audiobooks so I guess that means 106 were paper (as I don't read on any device). 44 books came from the library and 44 were on Mount TBR before 2017. Sixty-nine books were written by males, seventy were written by females and 1 was written by a male and female team. Fifty-seven books were by Canadian writers, exceeding the goal I set myself for the Canadian Sesquicentennial to read 50 books by Canadians. I read 14 books that were non-fiction of some type, 25 mysteries or thrillers, 21 science fiction and 9 fantasy. I'm not sure how many would be considered classics but I did read 12 books from the 1001 Books To Read Before you Die list. I classified 10 books with 10 stars, 30 with 9 stars and 46 with 8 stars so it was a pretty good reading year.

I slacked off in reading the Canadian books last year, although I'm tripping over more this year. Strange.

My total for 2017 was 48.

The breakdown is pretty basic:

Fiction:-
Literature & fiction: 46 (of which 3 were short-story anthologies)

Nonfiction:
Biographies & memoirs: 2

Ratings:
9: 15
8: 20
7: 7
6: 5
4: 1

Of the 48, 20 were from the combined 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list and 4 were audiobooks.

My total for 2017 was 48.

The breakdown is pretty basic:

Fiction:-
Literature & fiction: 46 (of which 3 were short-story anthologies)

Nonfiction:
Biographies & memoirs: 2

Ratings:
9: 15
8: 20
7: 7
6: 5
4: 1

Of the 48, 20 were from the combined 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list and 4 were audiobooks.

I haven't read any 1001 books in a while. They are shelved special, so I know where they are, but just haven't picked them up.

I seem to remember that some Januaries those of us who record such things have posted some sort of breakdown of our reading habits in the previous year - or maybe I just dreamed it!

Anyway, as I've just worked out my 2017 statistics, I thought I'd make a note here and then anyone who's interested could compare and contrast or whatever . . . .

During 2017, I read all or part of 288 books, including 2 which were carried forward from 2016.
I finished 264 of them and abandoned 24 before the end.
29 were nonfiction
17 were short story collections
5 were re-reads
2 were poetry
and only 4 were old enough that I’d call them classics.

138 were on the Kindle

Of the printed books:
17 were less than 200 pages and 9 were over 500 pages (not counting appendices and bibliographies etc)
15 came to me already registered by other BookCrossers
35 were on loan from libraries in 4 different towns
and 1 was on loan from a friend.

How about you? What things do you record? That's if you do any recording at all, of course! I know lots of you just read :-)

Interesting - I never count the ones that I abandon officially. They're just gone.

And I guess I sort of keep track of kindle books and those from the library in librarything, but not officially. Library books are swinging more to e-books or audio, so I don't have to wait for them

I keep a mini excel spreadsheet, so I can just cut and paste for challenges both here and on Librarything. So that's the only "stats" of any sort I keep.

Read: 218
TBRs: 198, but alas only 58 were ABC TBRs
51 were not romances, so you know what the rest were!

Majority were physical books, mostly from my shelves. Never sorted out the genres (except to note the non-romances), but I'm sure the non-fiction #s were low.

You guys crack me up, the way you keep track of reading.

I read a bunch of books last year (not as many as I used to before I got Netflix), most I finished, some I didn't, most I liked, one or two I loved, one or two I hated. I have no idea what genres or number of pages. I just read what looked good at the moment. The end.

: )

You guys crack me up, the way you keep track of reading.

What can I say? I'm a retired administrator and I administer everything . . . . (LOL!)

Everyones reading numbers are so impressive!
My love for cross-stitching was refueled in 2017 which definitely cut into my reading time.

I only read 32 books, 7 of those were audio books, the rest (25) in print.
14 of those books came to me via BC and 12 of those were rings. So I only read 9 from my original Mt. TBR. That has to change this year because I really want to diminish the mess in my bookshelfs.

but have just started looking at my stats. I posted the books read/completed on my About Me page here. Will look over and report back as I am planning on blogging about my reading anyway.

..how we all track different things. :)

In 2017 I finished 236 books; I don't keep count of those I abandon.

I do read children's & YA books but I don't track those numbers separately from anything else, or which genres I'm reading.

» 41 audiobooks
» 5 scripts or screenplays
» 41 e-books
» 14 graphic novels/manga
» 10 hybrids (alternating between multiple formats: e-book, paper book, & audio)
» 10 library books (paper, e-book, & audio)
» 38 nonfiction
» 1 with no words (but it was still a *book* with a story to tell)
» 27 re-reads
» 8 translated books - translated into English, since that's all I can read. :(
» 4 in verse, free or otherwise

..how we all track different things

I used to track nothing except the number of books I finished (in an actual paper diary) and noted if they were re-reads. Then I discovered GoodReads and my shelving includes "Didn't Understand", "Really Annoying", "Downright Depressing", "So Bad It's Funny" and "Pile of @#$&" !

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.