New year, new Audiobook thread for January 2018

Forum » Book Talk | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Might as well get this on the board now, before I forget!

I am still listening to Village of Secrets, by Caroline Moorehead, a fascinating look at how a small village in the mountains of France sheltered many Jewish children and adults during World War II and the Nazi era. I have read a lot of Holocaust literature (fiction and non-fiction) but this one is educating me politically, in ways and in detail that a lot of other books don't. I think there are 11 discs in all and I am about half way through.

What will you be listening to as we slide into a new year?

jessibud 11 mos ago
Bumpedy-bump!
This forum seems to be moving quickly so I wanted to make sure this thread didn't get lost and slip to the second page

...though the scariest thing I've experienced recently was the sudden death of my furnace just before New Year's, during a record-breaking cold snap {wry grin}.

I'm listening to the second half of The Best Horror Stories of the Year, Volume Six ( https://www.audible.com/---/B00TKUYOEE ), narrated by Mark Cabus; I got through the first half in December and took a break in between to listen to a different book. Back to the horror, which includes stories that are of the low-key creeping-unease variety more often than a blatant "GAAAAHHHH!!!" type of thing.

So, is it fixed, or replaced? The furnace, that is

So, is it fixed, or replaced? The furnace, that is

Replaced! Big hit to the budget, of course, but the house is nice and warm again - and with luck that's the last furnace I'll ever have to buy...

...though the scariest thing I've experienced recently was the sudden death of my furnace just before New Year's, during a record-breaking cold snap {wry grin}.

Wow. Speaking as a total weather wimp, that would definitely scare me!

Not good for the budget, sure...but not optional either, I would think. :s

I'm currently listening to Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Mr. Mercedes is part of a book ring in the German forums and I really need to pick up my pace with this one! It's already time to pass on and I still have quite a bit to go.

Good Omens is a “re-listen“. I read the printed book in 2009 and can't remember much from it, apart from that it was funny. I'm already half-way through and it is glorious!

I'm currently listening to Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Good Omens is a “re-listen“. I read the printed book in 2009 and can't remember much from it, apart from that it was funny. I'm already half-way through and it is glorious!

I on a waiting list for Good Omens from my library's electronic site. I can't remember when I placed the hold but it was a long time ago and I'm still #42 on the list. Glad to hear it's good so the wait should be worth it.

Someone here recommended it but I can't remember who it was. I'm not very far in so I won't make any comments about the book but I am finding the multiple narrators interesting.

I'm still listening to "Drop City" by T.C. Boyle. Almost done. Up next might be some non-fiction.

A couple of shorter works from Allen Steele, both from his Coyote series, and successful at convincing me I really should read Coyote one of these days...

Stealing Alabama, read by Marc Vietor
The Days Between, read by Tom Dheere

Of the two readers, I definitely preferred Vietor.

Currently listening to Wil Wheaton reading John Scalzi's The Collapsing Empire. Wheaton reads quite a lot of Scalzi's stuff, but I still find listening to him read about starships amusing (he was perfect for Redshirts!). :p

by Caroline Moorehead. It is the true story of how a small village in the mountains of France helped to hide and save thousands of Jewish people, many of whom were children. That area of Vichy France were collaborating with the Nazis between those years of 1940-44. The author has done extensive homework to uncover the real stories of who was involved, how, and exactly what happened. She is a very good writer and although I have read a lot of literature (both fiction and non-fiction) of this era, I learned a lot of the history and politics of that particular part of the world that I hadn't known before. I know she has written other books and I think I will seek them out.

Next up - and I am really excited about this! - is *Uncommon Type*, a collection of short stories written (and read by, on the audiobook) by Tom Hanks.

DAne Huckelbridge. WONDERFUL story of 2 castaways - the author really did his homework to make it believable.

I'm now listening to The Great God Pan ( https://www.audible.com/---/B078NGBJQN ), a collection of Machen's weird tales, narrated by Peter Wickham. The stories tend to be leisurely - a bit too leisurely for my taste, and I enjoy a long slow buildup - but the narrator's perfect.

It has a huge surprise at the end so make sure you listen to the epilogue if you get this audiobook.
http://www.librarything.com/---/149242202

Now I have started listening to Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie. I've only listened to maybe half an hour but it seems great so far. I know this is on the 1001 list and I think it might be one of the ones that everyone agrees should be on the list. I'll report back when I'm done.

Ooo, the Adichie is one I want to get to!

Ooo, the Adichie is one I want to get to!

Having listened to more I am recommending it. The story is great and I really like the narration. The name of the narrator is Zainab Jah. I wasn't familiar with that name but she seems to be an theatre actress on and off Broadway.

By Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
It was lots of fun and I really enjoyed listening to it (again).
It's a story about the end of the world, the 11-year old anti-christ called Adam and a demon and an angel who really don't want the world to end.

Started listening to King Peggy by Peggielene Bartels.

...( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14746268/ ), a loosely-connected anthology of horror stories in the low-key, M. R. James style. It's by Robert Westall, and is narrated by the marvelous R. C. Bray (who I first discovered via his narration of The Martian).

John Scalzi's The Collapsing Empire (Wil Wheaton) and Robert Buettner's Orphanage (Adam Epstein).

Currently listening to The Pearl Thief by Elizabeth Wein, read by Maggie Service...which is convincing me that it might be time to listen to Code Name Verity again (although it will probably make me cry, again.) Loving that Scottish sound. :)

read to me! His book of short stories, Uncommon Type, is really good so far. It is no surprise that he is an excellent reader, given his acting talents, but he is also a really good writer! Oddly, one of the discs in the audiobook is missing and a disc from another audiobook altogether is in its place. I have already informed the library but I intend to listen to this whole thing anyhow and just skip over that particular disc. I happen to own the hard copy of the book so I can read the parts I miss but I bought the book before I knew he narrated the audio and decided to wait so he could read it to me.

Oddly, one of the discs in the audiobook is missing and a disc from another audiobook altogether is in its place.

That's both frustrating and funny! I imagine the other audiobook includes your missing disc, unless whoever had them last shuffled more than two...

Oddly, one of the discs in the audiobook is missing and a disc from another audiobook altogether is in its place.

Oh, how annoying. Good thing you have the hard copy. Hope the library can figure out out - I expect there's a fair bit of interest since that's a recent book.

A slow but satisfying tale of an older couple; the man is dying from cancer. I just enjoy Haruf's style.

winghyphen8wing 10 mos ago
Maya Angelou..
..reading an unabridged version of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

I also borrowed the hard copy from the library, because there are a few bits I want to go over again, but at over 10 hrs, I don't want to spend too much time backtracking on the audio!

two books from 2017:
Murder on the Home Front: A True Story of Morgues, Murderers and Mysteries in the Blitz by Molly Lefebure narrated by Lucy Scott - pretty decent memoir, and narration made it 5-stars listen

Liebe ist was für Idioten. Wie mich by Sabine Schoder, narrated by Sascha Icks pretty stupid young adult contemporary which never improved. It has raging reviews, but for me it was 2 stars only

Painting the Sand by Kim Hughes, narrated by Oliver Hemsbrough
and
Kind aller Länder by Irmgard Keun, narrated by Jodie Ahlborn

Been awhile since I've been here, but this thread caught my eye! I'm listening to a lot more, since I can only read small bits at a time due to some vision issues. I read a lot of nonfiction and not long ago finished Keeping the Faith without a Religion, by Roger Housden. It was *really* good, but the title is a little bit deceptive. He does approach the book from a secular view, but I think it's beautifully written and for anyone interested in getting more in touch with the world around us.

...( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14582473/ ), by Sarah Lotz, a creepy tale of what might be PTSD-induced visions or might be a malevolent spirit attaching itself to desperate individuals. There are two narrators, one for the main point-of-view character - Sam Alexander, a very good reader, I'll look for more of his work - and one for the diary entries by a pioneering woman who died on the mountain before the start of the story.

And I just started my next listen: The Jekyll Revelation ( https://www.audible.com/---/B01LXZKETW ), narrated by Christopher Lane, voicing both the flashback entries by Robert Louis Stevenson (who, in this story, seems to be coping with a real-world version of his fictional Mr. Hyde) and the modern-day park ranger who gets caught up in the sequel to the earlier events. Interesting premise; not sure how it'll play out...

by Hope Jahren, and also read by her. Quite an interesting story about the reality of a female research scientist.
http://www.librarything.com/---/150486424

This book was just recommended to me by a friend. I hadn't known there was an audio version. That's good to know. I will see if my library has/can get it. Thanks!

According to my hard copy, there were only 2 stories that I missed (from the aforementioned missing disc) so I will just read them. I have to say, I think listening to him read really enhanced the pleasure. I liked most of the stories; some were a bit weaker, in my opinion, but others were excellent. And his acting chops really made it an extra delight to listen to.

Not sure what is next as I don't have another audio lined up. I'll see what I can find when I go return this one tomorrow

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.