corner corner December Readathon starts at midnight 12/21-2

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

December Readathon starts at midnight 12/21-2

The end of 2017 is almost here, and it's time for our December Extended Readathon.
The readathon begins Friday the 22nd at midnight and runs for 11 days ending as midnight strikes 2 January 2018. Have some fun as we end one year and enter the next by racking up some reading time.

What is a readathon?
The aim is to read for 24 hours spread out over 7 full days and nights. Don't worry if you can't manage the full 24 as it is not as easy as it sounds. 24 hours is just a target to make things interesting - just read as much as you can. Some of us rarely reach it; some of us focus on finishing a particular number of books,etc. The true aim is to have fun! Joining is simple, just post below and say hello! Remember to take note of when we start.

QUESTION-What am I allowed to read!
Normal books, plays, screenplays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, marvel/DC comics, university/college textbooks, books set by schools, audio books, e-books - anything really except newspapers and magazines.

QUESTION-What happens before we start?
After posting here, if you want to you can post your reading goals, set your own reading target and tell us the books you intend to read for the upcoming event. This is all optional!

QUESTION-What happens in the readathon?
You take note of the amount of time you read and then post here to tell us how you are getting on. Most people post daily, but it is not required. You can tell us what you are reading and what you think of it if you want to. We all love books and are naturally curious about what everyone is reading. Some people use clocks or timers or paper and pen to keep track of reading time as it is easy to forget! Book recommendations are always welcome, so if you like what you are reading, tell us about it, please!

QUESTION-When do we start and finish? WE START on Thursday 21 December at 2359 pm as it turns to midnight Friday 22 December in your timezone. We will read for 11 full days and nights and stop when Monday 1 January 2359 pm becomes Tuesday 2 January in your timezone.

What happens at the end of the readathon?
After the readathon finishes, we post our final totals and the sign-up sheet for the next month will go up. Hopefully, we'll see you there again!

Remember not to get stressed about your reading - this is a fun challenge! Lately, we have been "accepting our weaknesses" and choosing lower numbers with 24 hours being the ultimate goal.

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image
The end of 2017 is almost here, and it's time for our December Extended Readathon.
The readathon begins Friday the 22nd at midnight and runs for 11 days ending as midnight strikes 2 January 2018. Have some fun as we end one year and enter the next by racking up some reading time.

What is a readathon?
The aim is to read for 24 hours spread out over 7 full days and nights. Don't worry if you can't manage the full 24 as it is not as easy as it sounds. 24 hours is just a target to make things interesting - just read as much as you can. Some of us rarely reach it; some of us focus on finishing a particular number of books,etc. The true aim is to have fun! Joining is simple, just post below and say hello! Remember to take note of when we start.

QUESTION-What am I allowed to read!
Normal books, plays, screenplays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, marvel/DC comics, university/college textbooks, books set by schools, audio books, e-books - anything really except newspapers and magazines.

QUESTION-What happens before we start?
After posting here, if you want to you can post your reading goals, set your own reading target and tell us the books you intend to read for the upcoming event. This is all optional!

QUESTION-What happens in the readathon?
You take note of the amount of time you read and then post here to tell us how you are getting on. Most people post daily, but it is not required. You can tell us what you are reading and what you think of it if you want to. We all love books and are naturally curious about what everyone is reading. Some people use clocks or timers or paper and pen to keep track of reading time as it is easy to forget! Book recommendations are always welcome, so if you like what you are reading, tell us about it, please!

QUESTION-When do we start and finish? WE START on Thursday 21 December at 2359 pm as it turns to midnight Friday 22 December in your timezone. We will read for 11 full days and nights and stop when Monday 1 January 2359 pm becomes Tuesday 2 January in your timezone.

What happens at the end of the readathon?
After the readathon finishes, we post our final totals and the sign-up sheet for the next month will go up. Hopefully, we'll see you there again!

Remember not to get stressed about your reading - this is a fun challenge! Lately, we have been "accepting our weaknesses" and choosing lower numbers with 24 hours being the ultimate goal.
Profile Image
Looking forward to no work and little traveling. Who's with me?
Profile Image
As it is the last one of the year I will try and push my reading. I too have holidays, however I also have family and friend commitments where reading will be considered rude ;-)

Let's see what can be done......
Profile Image
I understand the family commitments. I will probably meet up with family members one day, but as I drive to see them (under 100 miles) leaving two dogs at home, these trips are always one day. And bonus, I listen to a book while driving.
Profile Image

I'm in

with 6 hours
Profile Image
I'm glad we have a longer span since there are some mandatory commitments during that time period(!) and I'm also fighting a bug at the moment.

Family time is not good reading time. :P
Profile Image
I'm also fighting a bug at the moment.

Hope you beat it off and feel better quickly .
Profile Image
I am traveling, but alas on the 21st. So that plane ride won't help the #s. The ride back is overnight, so I need to sleep not read, to make it through work that morning. It's been 30+ years since I did a red-eye flight, so I'll see how I hold up with this insanity, just so I could see my granddaughters for the first time on Christmas day.

But, when back to work, lots of commute time, so that should help.
Profile Image
OH! I hope you have a great time with your granddaughters!
Profile Image
Good luck getting sleep on the plane. Have fun with your granddaughters and hopefully you'll still make your 24 hour goal.
Profile Image
My sister and my niece are visiting us Dec. 24 -27....so, I might not get much time in on those days. Hopefully I can manage good times on the other days. I'm looking forward to some free time during the holidays. Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy New Year too. May we all reach our 24 hour goals!!! If you don't make it, no worries, there's always 2018...LOL!
Profile Image
My husband has a 4 day weekend and I have almost ZERO plans! I'm going for 24 hours and hoping for more!
Profile Image
Though I know I won't have reading time at several days (family/friends visiting)... but I can always try. :D
Profile Image

I'm in!

I'll try for 24 hours.
Profile Image
time to select a page-turner ^__^
Profile Image
I've been reading quite a bit over the past few days to get ready.
Profile Image
I've been reading quite a bit over the past few days to get ready.

I was over an hour into reading today before I realized it hadn't started yet! :)
Profile Image
I have a few days off from work, but also social obligations and a little outing, so I'll see what the result will be on January 2nd.

Books to read first (finish them hopefully)
De correcties by Jonathan Franzen
Krebsstation I en II by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Switch Bitch by Roald Dahl
Profile Image
Krebsstation I en II by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

This one is quite depressing!
Profile Image
Yes and no. I read it and take the 'facts' of the ilnesses and treatments for what they are. I try to read it with the country it's set in in mind, the time frame and find it (around 200 pages in) quiteva good read. Not funny, but interesting because of the above and the developing relations/interactions between the patients, the staff and the staff-patients.

The other book (The Corrections) is quite depressing as well. I did pick them for this dark time of year, didn't I?
Profile Image

Day 1

I've started the readathon with an audiobook Liebe ist was für Idioten. Wie mich by Sabine Schoder

Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min
Total: 15 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
I read on in Krebsstation (about 120 pages) and got around 50 in De Correcties (bedtime reading).

Reading summary:
Day total: 2 hrs 18 mins
Day 1: 2 hrs 18 mins
Totals for this readathon: 2 hrs 18 mins
Profile Image
For this readathon I'd like to finish my "X" author for CathrineB's challenge, and my remaining South America books for kiwi's 666 challenge if possible...

FINISHED:

• The Gods of Tango by Carolina De Robertis
Library e-book

Married by proxy, Leda travels from Italy to Argentina to join her husband Dante, only to discover when she arrives that Dante has been killed. As she searches for a way to survive, she falls under the spell of the tango. Using her father's violin and her husband's name, she creates a new life for herself...as a male musician. (1 South America book down, 2 to go)

• A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Audio download read by Simon Prebble

CONTINUING:

◦ What the Chinese Don't Eat by Xinran - http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13173084

◦ No Apparent Danger by Victoria Bruce - not registered yet

STARTED

◦ Falls of Death by Christopher Nicole - e-book

===========

Overall time:

Day 1 (Fri 12/22): 2 hrs 36 mins

Running total for December: 2 hrs 36 mins

Goal: 24 hours in 11 days
Profile Image
I started Readathon with an audio book--The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown.
Profile Image
Reading Others by James Herbert.
Finished off an Audio book : Out of the Woods but not Over the Hill by Gervase Phinn
Profile Image
No reading on Friday, but got 1 hrs 20 mins in today.
I'm currently reading Winter Rose by Patricia McKillip (feels quite seasonal with all the snow). And still listening to Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (a free SYNC download), I haven't been listening to my audiobook lately but hoping to finish this during the RAT.
Profile Image
I read on in Krebsstation I (page 237 now)
Finished: De correcties by Jonathan Franzen http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14526621/ and Switch Bitch by Roald Dahl
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7881020/

New book for bedtime reading: Iene miene mutte by M.J. Arlidge.

Reading summary:
Day 2: 3 hrs 39 mins
Totals for this readathon: 5 hrs 57 mins
Profile Image
STARTED & FINISHED:

• Little Donkey by Jodi Taylor
Free audio download read by Lucy Price-Lewis

An amusing Christmas story, apparently a follow-up to the author's _The Nothing Girl_. I haven't read that book, but enjoyed this one quite a lot; I might have to look up the book...so the freebie may have achieved its purpose. ;)

• What the Chinese Don't Eat by Xinran
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13173084

Essays from The Guardian. So that's my X author. :D

CONTINUING:

STARTED:

◦ Christmas Eve 1914 by Charles Olivier
Free audio download with a full cast

===========

Overall time:

Day 2 (Sat 12/23): 2 hrs 7 mins

Running total for December: 4 hrs 43 mins

Profile Image

Days 2,3

Day 2 - 25 min. Started the Night Circus
Day3 - 60 min
Profile Image
Day 2 - 25 min. Started the Night Circus
Day3 - 60 min

Lamilla, I really liked Night Circus. Let me know what you think when finished.
Profile Image
Good so far and I've finished reading two books.
Tonight is Christmas Eve and I'm practicing the Icelandic custom of reading into the night.
Profile Image
I'm reading the obligatory Christmas book, 12 Days at Bleakly Manor by Michelle Griep.
Profile Image
I finished Winter Rose and started on Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani.

Day 1: 0
Day 2: 1 hr 20 mins
Day 3: 1 hr 35 mins
Profile Image

Days 3, 4

Started Dark Matter on the evening of Day 3 - what a page-turner! Finished it in the plane on Day 4

Day 3 - 60 min + 60 min = 2 h
Day 4 - 1h 55 min
Profile Image
* I realized when tallying my numbers last night that I had cheated myself out of an hour for days 1 and 2. Glad I checked those numbers. Laughing. Now it is Christmas Day, and I'm home alone with my furry and feathered children - READING.
Profile Image
CONTINUING:

===========

Overall time:

Day 3 (Sun 12/24): 2 hrs 23 mins

Running total for December: 7 hrs 6 mins

Profile Image

Met my goal

...of 4 hours - mainly due to unexpected reading time during my short vacation. Yay :)
Will try to continue nevertheless.

Today I listened to the audiobook on the way to/from the post office.

Day 5, 26.12 - 20 min so far
Day 4, 25.12 - 1h 55 min
Day3, 24.12 - 2 hours
Day 2, 23.12 - 25 min
Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min
Total: 4 h 55 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
Woohoo! Going over is always fun! Keep on reading.
Profile Image

Days 3 & 4

Day 3 = 1 hour 45 minutes
Day 4 = 1 hour 30 minutes
Total = 5 hours 15 minutes

I finished 12 Days at Bleakly Manor and started The #1 Ladies Detective Agency. I'm still listening to The Boys in the Boat.
Profile Image

Day 1 & 2

Day 1: 2 min.
Day 2: 1 hr. 25 min.
Total: 1 hr. 27 min.

The first day I just didn't have time to read. I only had worship with my son and read from a book called...What Creatures Teach Us. The second day I finished reading my book...The Called, the Chosen. I also read from the book, The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax and a bit from, What Creatures Teach Us.
Profile Image

Days 3 &4

Day 3: 5 hrs. 37 min.
Day 4: 35 min.
Total: 7 hrs. 39 min.

On the third day, I finished reading...The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman. Having a good book to read really helps me spend more time reading. On the fourth day, company arrived and I just couldn't get any alone time. I managed a few minutes reading two books...Whom Shall I Fear...and... The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax.
Profile Image

Day 5

Continued reading the Night Circus in the evening. Also finished a collection of short stories The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night. Now I'm one book away from my goodreads goal of the year ))

Day 5, 26.12 - 50 min
Day 4, 25.12 - 1h 55 min
Day3, 24.12 - 2 hours
Day 2, 23.12 - 25 min
Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min
Total: 5 h 25 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
I read on in Krebsstation I by Solzhenitsyn.
Started Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard (page 10).

A bit of progress (18 pages) in the bedtime reading book: Iene miene mutte by M.J. Arlidge.

Reading summary:
Day 3: 2 hrs 5 mins
Totals for this readathon: 8 hrs 2 mins
Profile Image
I read on in Iene miene mutte by M.J. Arlidge.
Due to Christmas fun out of the house with family I did not read more in the other books.

Reading summary:
Day 4: 25 mins
Totals for this readathon: 8 hrs 27 mins
Profile Image
I read on in Iene miene mutte by M.J. Arlidge.
Due to Christmas fun out of the house with family I did not read more in the other books.

Reading summary:
Day 5: 30 mins
Totals for this readathon: 8 hrs 57 mins

ET to correct day number.
Profile Image
CONTINUING:

===========

Overall time:

Day 4 (Mon 12/25): 1 hr 6 mins

Running total for December: 8 hrs 12 mins

Profile Image
EDITED because I forgot about one timer! I feel better now.. :)

FINISHED:

• Falls of Death by Christopher Nicole
e-book

Shirley's grandfather was in a plane that flew straight into Guyana's largest waterfall and disappeared. She goes there to try to learn more about what happened, but she's not the only one with an interest in the vanished plane's passengers....

This is the 2nd of the 3 South America books I want to finish during the readathon.

• Christmas Eve 1914 by Charles Olivier
audio download

This was an Audible Christmas freebie a few years ago: a dramatized look at the 1914 Christmas Truce, from a British perspective.

CONTINUING:

STARTED:

◦ Jacob T. Marley by R. William Bennett
audio download read by Simon Vance

Sort of a prequel to A Christmas Carol; in this one, Marley isn't dead to begin with. ;)

◦ Princess Holy Aura by Ryk E. Spoor
e-book

Um...difficult to explain, especially since I've just barely started. Try this: https://whatever.scalzi.com/---/the-big-idea-ryk-e-spoor-8/

===========

Overall time:

Day 5 (Tue 12/26): 3 hrs 11 mins

Running total for December: 11 hrs 23 mins

Profile Image

Day 6

Day 6, 27.12 - 45 min so far
Day 5, 26.12 - 50 min
Day 4, 25.12 - 1h 55 min
Day 3, 24.12 - 2 hours
Day 2, 23.12 - 25 min
Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min
Total: 6 h 10 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
starting the counting late. I was away visiting the granddaughters, so there wasn't much reading getting done with a 2 & 5 year old!

But back yesterday, and doing some reading on the train ride home from the airport. Finished up a Betty Neels book. Now back to Plum's challenge.
Profile Image
I read on in Iene miene mutte by M.J. Arlidge. And I continued reading Krebsstation. Both not finished yet. I did not read more in Get Shorty, but that's okay.

Reading summary:
Day 6: 3 hrs 27 mins
Totals for this readathon: 12 hrs 24 mins
Profile Image
FINISHED:

• No Apparent Danger by Victoria Bruce
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14851634

Volcanoes are fascinating, but they can also be dangerous and hard to predict. The Galeras section gives some _graphic_ examples of why the volcanologists should all have been wearing protective gear, and especially hard hats! (Wow.)

...and that's my Colombia book, so I've done my 6 for South America in 2017 (always a challenge for me). :D

CONTINUING:

STARTED:

◦ Stickeen by John Muir
not registered yet

===========

Overall time:

Day 6 (Wed 12/27): 4 hrs 6 mins

Running total for December: 15 hrs 29 mins

Profile Image

Days 5 & 6

Day 5 = 45 minutes
Day 6 = 2 hours 15 minutes
Total = 8 hours 15 minutes

I finished The #1 Ladies Detective Agency and started Downfall by J.A. Jance. I'm still listening to The Boys in the Boat.
Profile Image
Not bad and accomplished quite a bit of reading.
Profile Image
Not bad and accomplished quite a bit of reading.

Very nice!
Profile Image

Days 6 and 7

Day 7, 28.12 - 10 min so far
Day 6, 27.12 - 1h 5 min
Day 5, 26.12 - 50 min
Day 4, 25.12 - 1h 55 min
Day 3, 24.12 - 2 hours
Day 2, 23.12 - 25 min
Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min
Total: 6 h 40 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
Just had to get through most of a PC romance that I'm reading for Plum's challenge.
Profile Image

Day 7

Couldn't sleep this night ((

Day 7, 28.12 - 40 min
Day 6, 27.12 - 1h 5 min
Day 5, 26.12 - 50 min
Day 4, 25.12 - 1h 55 min
Day 3, 24.12 - 2 hours
Day 2, 23.12 - 25 min
Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min
Total: 7 h 10 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
I read on in Iene miene mutte by M.J. Arlidge. Nearly finished it in bed, but the 30 pages would take too much time to keep torturing mr. Boekentrol with lamp light.

And I finished Krebsstation I. Now it's part II's turn. I did not read more in Get Shorty, but that's okay.

Reading summary:
Day 7: 2 hrs 39 mins
Totals for this readathon: 15 hrs 03 mins
Profile Image
CONTINUING:

◦ Stickeen by John Muir

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14852968

Really got sucked in by this one: went and bought a hard copy so I can send it to my brother. :p

===========

Overall time:

Day 7 (Thu 12/28): 4 hrs 32 mins

Running total for December: 20 hrs 1 min

Profile Image
probably won't make the 24 hours unless I figure out Alexa, but switching to an audio download for the current book has helped boost the hours, as I can continue listening while doing the wash or shopping!

Current listen/read is What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson. Intriguing altered reality/after life book - reminds me of bits of The Celestine Prophecy and 90 minutes in Heaven.
Profile Image
Current listen/read is What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson. Intriguing altered reality/after life book.

I've never read the book, but the movie is one of my husband's favorites. It stars Robin Williams, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Annabella Sciorra and Max von Sydow. I wonder how closely it follows the book?
Profile Image

Day 8

Continued listening to an audiobook any chance I had

Day 8, 29.12 - 35 min so far
Day 7, 28.12 - 40 min
Day 6, 27.12 - 1h 5 min
Day 5, 26.12 - 50 min
Day 4, 25.12 - 1h 55 min
Day 3, 24.12 - 2 hours
Day 2, 23.12 - 25 min
Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min
Total: 7 h 45 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
I have been absent from bookcrossing for a while - ridiculous work commitments and a 3 year old meant something had to give... but decided to use the readathon this month to get me back into it, as hopefully I'll have a little more time next year! Although as you can see from this late post my time is still pretty tight!

I have thankfully managed to get some reading in though! Here is my count so far:
Day 1: 2hrs 9
Day 2: 2 hrs 40
Day 3: 46 mins
Day 4: 2hrs 26
Day 5: 40 mins
Day 6: 2hrs 3 mins
Day 7: 1 hr 12 mins
Total so far - 11hrs 56

I'm aiming for 20 hrs so still a way to go!
Profile Image
A good reading day, but only because I fell at work and came home. I banged up my knee. I stopped at the doctor's office on the way home because it hurt so bad. Luckily nothing was broken--I didn't know you could sprain your knee.
Total = 12 hours 30 minutes
Profile Image
A good reading day, but only because I fell at work and came home. I banged up my knee. I stopped at the doctor's office on the way home because it hurt so bad. Luckily nothing was broken--I didn't know you could sprain your knee.
Total = 12 hours 30 minutes

Oh! Sprains are so painful. Rest up and read!
Profile Image
Luckily nothing was broken--I didn't know you could sprain your knee.

Ow, ow, ow...I've heard that sometimes sprains can actually take longer to heal than breaks, so take it easy..
Profile Image
I was so tired last evening I went to bed during prime reading time. Playing catch up today.
Profile Image

Day 9

I'm reading the Invisible Library http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14461988

Day 9, 30.12 - 40 min so far
Day 8, 29.12 - 35 min
Day 7, 28.12 - 40 min
Day 6, 27.12 - 1h 5 min
Day 5, 26.12 - 50 min
Day 4, 25.12 - 1h 55 min
Day 3, 24.12 - 2 hours
Day 2, 23.12 - 25 min
Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min
Total: 8 h 25 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
Didn't have any energy/time left for reading on day 6 and 7 (busy at work - and I don't have the commute anymore where I can read much). Quite enjoying Big Stone Gap and Airborn.

Day 1: 0
Day 2: 1 hr 20 mins
Day 3: 1 hr 35 mins
Day 4: 30 mins
Day 5: 25 mins
Day 6: 0
Day 7: 0
Day 8: 15 mins
Day 9 so far: 30 mins
Profile Image
I finished Downfall by J.A. Jance and started (made good progress in) The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg. No progress on The Boys in the Boat as I haven't been in the car to listen.

Total = 17 hours
Profile Image
Continuing to listen to What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12488008

Fabulous book!
Profile Image
I do believe I'll make this challenge. :-)

Finished reading The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore
Profile Image
I do believe I'll make this challenge. :-)

Finished reading The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore

I believe it too! :D

Nothing like something seasonal, with zombie. :p
Profile Image
I finished the Invisible Library. With this I both finished a goodreads challenge (36 books in 2017) and pushed readathon to double digits :)
Now I am reading Behind Her Eyes for which I host a bookray - everyone is welcome to join:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/548372

Day 9, 30.12 - 2h 55 min
Day 8, 29.12 - 35 min
Day 7, 28.12 - 40 min
Day 6, 27.12 - 1h 5 min
Day 5, 26.12 - 50 min
Day 4, 25.12 - 1h 55 min
Day 3, 24.12 - 2 hours
Day 2, 23.12 - 25 min
Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min
Total: 10 h 40 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
Finished Iene miene mutte by M.J. Arlidge and made a start in Piep zei de muis (part 2).
Read a few pages in Krebsstation II. On this day I also did not read more in Get Shorty, but that's okay.

Reading summary:
Day 8: 1 hr 15 mins
Totals for this readathon: 16 hrs 18 mins
Profile Image
Despite the hours we spentvtravveling on this day, I got some good reading time as well.
I made lots of progress in Piep zei de muis by M.J. Arlidge. Did not take Krebsstation II with me, so no read pages in that book today.
Get Shorty has made the travel as well, but I did not read in it.

Reading summary:
Day 9: 4 hrs 10 mins
Day 8: 1 hr 15 mins
Totals for this readathon: 20 hrs 28 mins
Profile Image
I really thought I had already posted this, but I don't see it, so...

FINISHED:

• Jacob T. Marley by R. William Bennett
Audio download read by Simon Vance

I liked this a lot: it rounded out Scrooge's story, and since I'd just listened to the Dickens original it worked out well.

• Stickeen by John Muir
not registered yet

The story of John Muir's exploration of an Alaskan glacier with a small but spirited canine companion. The illustrations supplement the text nicely. I'm trying to start reading my dog books now to get ready for my Year of the Dog release challenge coming up in February.

• Princess Holy Aura by Ryk E. Spoor
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14852968

I haven't seen much anime, haven't watched Sailor Moon, and don't know much about the "magical girl" memes, but I didn't find that a liability when it came to reading this story. Many of the elements were familiar anyway, although I suppose I might have gotten more of the references if I knew the genre better. Still, I did get a lot of them. I thoroughly enjoyed this and will be sending it off to Arizona soon in search of a new reader.

STARTED:

◦ Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat by Jen Mann
not registered yet

I found People I Want to Punch in the Throat ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12922351 ) amusing, so I purposely went looking for this one. I definitely have sympathy for her on the cookie exchange thing: I'm a picky cookie eater myself, although not along precisely the same lines.

◦ Gather 'Round the Sound
Holiday freebie from Audible with multiple authors/readers

Yvonne Morrison's Aussie Night Before Christmas (read by Magda Szubanksi) is well done, and I liked Paulo Coelho's "The Music Coming from the House", read by Daniel Frances-Berenson. I haven't read any of Coelho's work yet, but I probably will, eventually.

===========

Overall time:

Day 8 (Fri 12/29): 3 hrs 18 mins

Running total for December: 23 hrs 19 mins

Profile Image
A busy day, both on and off the computer: not much reading.

Wishing all of you a fabulous 2018!!!

CONTINUING:

◦ Gather 'Round the Sound

STARTED:

◦ The Journal of William Thomas Emerson by Barry Denenberg
not registered yet

===========

Overall time:

Day 9 (Sat 12/30): 43 mins

Running total for December: 24 hrs 2 mins

Profile Image

Day 10

I continue reading the Night Circus and Behind her eyes

Day 10, 31.12 - 45 min
Day 9, 30.12 - 2h 55 min
Day 8, 29.12 - 35 min
Day 7, 28.12 - 40 min
Day 6, 27.12 - 1h 5 min
Day 5, 26.12 - 50 min
Day 4, 25.12 - 1h 55 min
Day 3, 24.12 - 2 hours
Day 2, 23.12 - 25 min
Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min
Total: 11 h 25 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
Yes, I was 4 minutes away from goal today, but I will not lie. It took me 2 hours 22 minutes to read my book. :-)
Profile Image
I finished The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg. I started Into the Water by Paula Hawkins. No progress on The Boys in the Boat as I haven't been in the car to listen.

Total = 20 hours and 30 minutes
Profile Image
Day 10, 31.12 - 2 h
Day 9, 30.12 - 2h 55 min
Day 8, 29.12 - 35 min
Day 7, 28.12 - 40 min
Day 6, 27.12 - 1h 5 min
Day 5, 26.12 - 50 min
Day 4, 25.12 - 1h 55 min
Day 3, 24.12 - 2 hours
Day 2, 23.12 - 25 min
Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min
Total: 13 h 5 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
Total = 22 hours 30 minutes
I think I'm going to make it!
Profile Image
Total = 22 hours 30 minutes
I think I'm going to make it!

Go etherea!
Profile Image

Day 11

Managed to finish my first book of the year in the last day of this readathon :)

Day 11, 1.01 - 1h 5 min
Day 10, 31.12 - 2 h
Day 9, 30.12 - 2h 55 min
Day 8, 29.12 - 35 min
Day 7, 28.12 - 40 min
Day 6, 27.12 - 1h 5 min
Day 5, 26.12 - 50 min
Day 4, 25.12 - 1h 55 min
Day 3, 24.12 - 2 hours
Day 2, 23.12 - 25 min
Day 1, 22.12 - 15 min

Total: 14 h 10 min / 4 hours
Profile Image
Did some reading for the literature class I will be teaching beginning at the end of the month.
For the first day of the new year and the last day of our readathon, I am reading Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders. I did a quick read of this about a month ago; this time I am loving and pausing as I read it because I have chosen it for the lit class to read. It comes out in paperback in February, so I must wait until then. That's okay because we begin with a short story unit.
Back to the book and making today count.
Profile Image

Days 5 - 7

Day 5: 3 hrs. 24 min.
Day 6: 41 min.
Day 7: 2 min.
Total: 11 hrs. 46 min.

Company arrived and I got the flu, so reading hasn't been easy to fit in. I finished the book...Whom Shall I Fear. I also finished reading...The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax.
Profile Image
Company arrived and I got the flu, so reading hasn't been easy to fit in.

Oh, that does not sound like a fun combination at all. Feel better soon!
Profile Image
Thank you....I still have a cough.
Profile Image
Company arrived and I got the flu, so reading hasn't been easy to fit in. I finished the book...Whom Shall I Fear. I also finished reading...The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax.

I hope you're feeling better soon! I love Mrs. Pollifax!
Profile Image
I'm feeling better. I also love Mrs. Pollifax. I want to read all of her books in order. I've finished the first 3 so far.
Profile Image

Days 8 - 9

Day 8: 16 min.
Day 9: 1 hr. 14 min.
Total: 13 hrs. 16 min.

I started reading another book...Panic Button by Kylie Logan. I'm not finding the plot or the characters to be that engaging...but I'll be able to finish it.
Profile Image
Enjoyed The Last Jedi, but it did mean less reading...

FINISHED:

• Gather 'Round the Sound
Holiday freebie from Audible with multiple authors/readers

Didn't like the ending of this as much; the Dickens ghost story didn't do much for me and the "improv carols" were not my thing. Overall though, this was worth the price. :p

CONTINUING:

◦ The Journal of William Thomas Emerson by Barry Denenberg

===========

Overall time:

Day 10 (Sun 12/31): 1 hr 14 mins

Running total for December: 25 hrs 16 mins

Profile Image
Today's movie: Darkest Hour - good stuff, although I kept thinking about how much time Gary Oldman must have spent getting his makeup done. Also, I hadn't previously thought about Alfred Hitchcock & Winston Churchill looking similar. :p

FINISHED:

• The Journal of William Thomas Emerson by Barry Denenberg
This is one of the "Dear America" books, set at the time of the American Revolution. Some of the inclusions in the text are in cursive, and I wonder about younger readers being able to read it...?!

CONTINUING:

STARTED:

◦ Stealing Alabama by Allen Steele
Audio download read by Marc Vietor

Apparently this novella became the beginning of the Coyote series; I may have to look for the rest of these..

===========

Overall time:

Day 10 (Sun 12/31): 1 hr 14 mins
Day 11 (Mon 1/1): 1 hr

Running total for December: 26 hrs 16 mins

Happy 2018, and see you all next time, I hope!
Profile Image
Congrats on making your goal!
Profile Image
who met their goal!
Profile Image
And I read my first book of 2018 today - Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders and it is amazing.

Congratulations to everyone who met goal and those who tried. It's the reading that counts. And I do believe I spent more time reading than are regular champion. Yes, I am bragging. Sorry.
Profile Image
Congratulations to everyone who met goal and those who tried. It's the reading that counts. And I do believe I spent more time reading than are regular champion. Yes, I am bragging. Sorry.

Yep, you sure did - fantastic job! Brag away!

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.