Signup and suggestions: 2013 Canadian Reading Challenge

Forum » Book Talk | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Inspired by NancyNova's 50 US States + Territories challenge: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/486800

Anyone want to join me in a Canadian Provinces + Territories reading challenge for 2013? The idea is to read at least one book from each of Canada's provinces and territories over the course of the year.

*** I will post a new thread for the books that are actually read for this challenge, but I might keep this one open in case anyone has more recommendations. ***

Everyone welcome, but Canadians in particular are encouraged to make suggestions/recommendations, post links, etc.

As Nancy says, the book's setting should be primarily in that province/territory, but it doesn't have to stay there for the entire book.

BookCrossing books, library books, unregistered books from your permanent collection, audiobooks, e-books, children's books, graphic novels, travel guides...they'll all count. This will be very freeform - everyone can track their own reading on the honor system, but please post your list of books here so others can see your choices!

This should tie in nicely with gypsysmom's mid-year Canada Days release challenge - here's a link to the 2012 challenge, which I intend to mine for book suggestions! (The thread has some good links, too.)
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/479072

Definitely interested! Although I am in the US, I make a point of reading Canadian authors...wow...this should be fun.

Definitely interested! Although I am in the US, I make a point of reading Canadian authors...wow...this should be fun.

I'm in the US too, but I thought it would be fun to give this a whirl. Thanks for your interest. :)

Margaret Laurence, at least as far as I can tell...I haven't read any of her books, yet.

Who else besides Lucy Maud Montgomery? (I like her books, but it would be interesting to read some others too, so suggestions are welcome.)

Who else besides Lucy Maud Montgomery? (I like her books, but it would be interesting to read some others too, so suggestions are welcome.)

I just read this review in the Globe and Mail for a mystery novel set in PEI. See the last in the link attached (there's also one set in Quebec at the beginning):
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/---/article6629305/

Margaret Laurence, at least as far as I can tell...I haven't read any of her books, yet.

Margaret Laurence may be the best well-known author but there are tons of others. Some that I have enjoyed:
Guy Gavriel Kay writes fantasy (although I have to admit his books don't have a Manitoba setting)
Miriam Toews writes interesting novels usually with a Mennonite background
Gabrielle Roy wrote many books based upon her teaching life in Manitoba (although her best known book, The Tin Flute, is set in Quebec)
Adele Wiseman only wrote two books but Crackpot by her is fantastic (and she was a friend of Laurence's)
Carol Shields lived in Winnipeg for many years and her best-selling The Stone Diaries is definitely set in Winnipeg

For anyone who needs a list, this is what I found:

Alberta (AB)
British Columbia (BC)
Manitoba (MB)
New Brunswick (NB)
Newfoundland and Labrador (NL)
Northwest Territories (NT)
Nova Scotia (NS)
Nunavut (NU)
Ontario (ON)
Prince Edward Island (PE)
Quebec (QC)
Saskatchewan (SK)
Yukon (YT)

9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim Defede was a great book that I read a while back.

Diane Schoemperlen is a Canadian author. I read Names of the Dead: An Elegy for the Victims of September 11 - a haunting book in the style of "the Things They Carried", but she has other books published.

Yes, this one was definitely a good read, and it would certainly work for Newfoundland.

Here's the bookray MyssCyn started: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10109768

Well, I would be remiss if I didn't try this challenge myself since hyphen8 has linked to my Canada Days challenge. I'm going to try to read Canadian mysteries before the end of June almost exclusively and we'll see what provinces and territories are left when I finish that. (Just to clarify, the theme for 2013's Canada Days challenge is mysteries so that's why I'm going to read them.)

Well, I would be remiss if I didn't try this challenge myself since hyphen8 has linked to my Canada Days challenge. I'm going to try to read Canadian mysteries before the end of June almost exclusively and we'll see what provinces and territories are left when I finish that. (Just to clarify, the theme for 2013's Canada Days challenge is mysteries so that's why I'm going to read them.)

Good reminder - got to make a note to myself on that one, so I have something for the Canada days challenge.

Not sure I've read any Canadian mysteries yet, so I'll try to remedy that this coming year, hopefully in time for your challenge. :)

Somehow mysteries seem to often be specific to a location, so they're useful for "place" challenges.

I've never done one of these before, but I've really enjoyed all the Canadian authors I've read so far, and look forward to learning about some new ones.

Rhonder 6 yrs ago
I'm in!
I've also joined the states challenge, so we'll see how it goes!

The Quebec ones I was thinking of are a series by Louise Penny. The one I read was very short, but good.

quietorchid 6 yrs ago
I'll try
Gypsymom's challenge has made me aware of an entire new world out there, so I have been looking.

joined this year (the 666 challenge), I am not sure I want to commit to another biggie. But I will definitely follow the threads as I am always looking for new good authors.

I will try to compile a list of authors I have read and enjoyed that I can share here for those interested. Off the top of my head, I can highly recommend these few so far:

Ontario - Frances Itani (I am in the middle of *Requiem*, and this is the 3rd of hers I am reading; LOVED the other 2)
- Alice Munro

Quebec - Roch Carrier (one of Canada's classics and most beloved: http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/roch-carrier)

Newfoundland - Wayne Johnston

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will add to this as they come up

joined this year (the 666 challenge), I am not sure I want to commit to another biggie.

666 was *hard* - Europe & Asia were no problem but the others were a real challenge.

I figured *this* one is a reasonable size (only 13 books) so it should be more do-able as far as the reading goes. I expect the biggest trick will be getting my hands on the books. :)

but I think I might have a hard time finding authors from the Territories. But I will try.

Hmm, I can't seem to edit my above post to add more. Maybe I will just keep a list and add to it offline then post it when I've got more to add, instead of piecemeal, since that doesn't seem to work here. I wanted to add Rick Mercer to Nfld and Will Ferguson to Alberta

Hmm, I can't seem to edit my above post to add more. Maybe I will just keep a list and add to it offline then post it when I've got more to add, instead of piecemeal, since that doesn't seem to work here. I wanted to add Rick Mercer to Nfld and Will Ferguson to Alberta

If the "edit" link doesn't show at the bottom of your post, click on the bold & underlined title of your post, then when it comes up, type "/edit" after the URL. That should let you edit your post. :)

but I think I might have a hard time finding authors from the Territories. But I will try.

So far, these are some of the ones I've found online: I haven't read most of these yet and don't know how available they are.

Northwest Territories:

Far North by Will Hobbs
Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay
Solomon Gursky was Here by Mordecai Richler
Yellowknife by Steve Zipp - free PDF download at restelluris.ca
Runes of the North by Sigurd F. Olson

Nunavut:

Rankin Inlet by Mara Feeney
The Terror by Dan Simmons
A Discovery of Strangers by Rudy Wiebe
Arctic Blue Death by R.J. Harlick
An Icy Reception by Mark Okrant

Yukon:

Burning Daylight / A Daughter of the Snows / White Fang / The Call of the Wild by Jack London - most of these are available at Project Gutenberg and Librivox
Journey by James A. Michener
The Golden Volcano by Jules Verne

I thought the author had to be from the specific province/territory! Much better that it be the setting of the book OR the author. I think that opens it up much more!

As for the *edit*, there was no edit link that post of mine, only reply/reply with quote. So I will try the other option you mentioned. Hadn't thought of that! Thanks

Several of Spider Robinson's books are set in BC including:

Very Bad Deaths
Very Hard Choices
Lifehouse starts in BC, anyway.

I'm still checking - some of the others take place at least partly in Nova Scotia (including Mindkiller and Time Pressure, I think.)

for us over-achievers? or else those labeled as 'I gotta read this book I got for Christmas' (set in Ontario)

that I'm in?

that I'm in?

I sorta noticed. :D

Thanks for playing.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.