Welcome to the Twenty-First (yes 21st!) Set It Yourself Reading Challenge (SIY 21), July to September 2012

Forum » Book Talk | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Well, our First Set It Yourself Reading Challenge opened way back in July 2007, so that makes this our Fifth Birthday and the start our Sixth Year! Who'd have thought it?

I'm now inviting Challengers old and new to join us for our Twenty-First Set It Yourself Reading Challenge (SIY 21) to run from July to September 2012.

For those of you who need reminding, and those who maybe didn't know in the first place, let me say that this is a very simple idea! SIY is a reading challenge in which you set your own goals. This could be:
- a general goal such as a specified number of books,
- a number of books in a particular category or categories - although we would ask that if you have more than one category, a particular book is only assigned to one of them,
- or you might even choose to list specific titles.

It’s entirely up to you as long as the goals have to do with reading. This is not a releasing challenge - it doesn't matter where your books came from and what you're going to do with them afterwards, not even whether or not they're registered on BookCrossing.

When you’ve determined what you want to read, post your goals here. You may start reading on 1 July 2012 and you have until midnight on 30 September 2012 to complete your goals. If at that time you've read everything you said you would, you've succeeded. If not, you've failed! It's within the Spirit of SIY, although it hasn't been enshrined in the Rules, that, as far as possible, our goals should remains fixed as at the first day of the Quarter - or on the day you Set Your Own Challenge if you join at a later date. Substitutions should only be made in exceptional circumstances!

As you make progress, you can post updates in this thread, weekly, monthly, whenever you finish a book – the frequency is determined by you. Ibis3 records all our updates on a beautiful progress page (see the link which will be added at the end). We can show our appreciation by taking note of the paragraphs below.

Please read the following rules for reporting your progress, unchanged for over a year now as, for the most part, they seem to be working! Because this thread gets very long and there have been as many as 30 participants we need to follow these rules consistently to make it as simple as possible for Ibis3 to make the updates.

THE RULES:

1. For progress posts start your subject line with a pilcrow ¶. On most keyboards you can find the pilcrow by holding down the alt key and typing 0182 or 788. I will also place one at the end of this post which you can cut and paste as needed.

2. The FIRST time you mention a book you must give the complete title and author's name (even if it is well-known). After that a shorter reference is preferred. Links to journal entries are optional and can be posted in any pilcrowed entry. If you decide to post a link for a book it only needs to be posted once, not every time you mention the book. (Don't worry about the way Bookcrossing shortens the visible URL, the entire URL is there.)

3. DO NOT EDIT progress reports – EVER. If you need to make a correction to the info submitted please submit a new progress post pointing out the error. The subject line for any corrections should also start with a pilcrow.

4. If Ibis3 has a query or comment on a pilcrowed post, she'll make it known in this thread as a reply to the post in question. At the same time she'll change the background colour of your screen name in the progress page to red to indicate that she's waiting for an answer. Please respond to her query with a pilcrowed post in this thread as soon as possible. She will then update your progress row and remove the red. NOTE: Until the issue has been resolved, Ibis3 won't make any updates to your progress row.

5. Plus, every time the progress page is updated, I'll send a PM to anyone whose line is red to make sure they've noticed, sending repeat PMs until the query is resolved and Ibis3 changes the colour back.

6. If you respond to someone else’s pilcrowed post please remove the pilcrow that will show up automatically in the subject line.

7. If any of this is unclear please ask for clarification by post in this thread or, if you'd prefer to make a less public query, feel free to PM me (Nu-Knees) and I'll try to interpret.

I think that's enough of explaining - but please PM me if there's anything that's still not clear!

Good Luck, everybody!

Thanks to Ibis3, we can follow our progress on another beautiful progress page here:
http://www.readerofthestack.com/siy-challenge.html

Thank you!

¶ Here's the promised pilcrow for anyone who wants to copy and paste it: ¶

wingNu-Kneeswing 7 yrs ago
I'm in!
It will come as no surprise to anybody that I plan to Set Myself a Challenge for SIY 21 :-)
Details to follow but it'll follow the general lines of one classic and two non-fictions a month, probably allowing myself to set a trilogy of 'classics' that are much more recent than the pre-WW1 cut-off that I normally count!

but will have to think about my choices. Details to follow

but like minesayn I will have to think about my goal. It will be touch and go if I make my goal this challenge so I might have to scale it back.

Don't think I'll be making my goal for SIY20, but will keep trying. Off to think about my SIY 21 goal...

Five more books to finish by the end of the June and I WILL successfully complete #20!

Ibis3 7 yrs ago
I'm in
I might even complete SIY20, so I'm feeling good.

Not sure about my goals yet. I might just do my 3 CanLit Challenge books and a few prior SIY leftovers (Principles of a New Science, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and at least a portion of Aristotle's Metaphysics). We'll see.

I find the SIY challenges really help me to keep on track with my reading, especially books I've received from other BCers. I've already decided what my goal is for the summer:

The following three books from other BCers (namely Nu-Knees):
Ladder of Years - Anne Tyler
The Alchemist's Daughter - Katherine McMahon
The Accidental Tourist - Anne Tyler
And 22 other TBRs. For a total of 25 books

Good luck everybody and thanks again to Ibis3 and Nu-Knees

I'm out of school until Spetember, so I can set the bar a little higher this time.

Goal: 15 Books

I'm not going to name categories or titles, because everytime I do that in this challenge, I shoot myself in the foot with other books vying for my attention first. Like Maggie, I'm in book clubs, so I already know what some of the books will be - but the different challenges always lead me astray {grin}

I'm new to this so I'll probably do everything wrong, so please forgive me in advance.

I will have to give some thought to my goal, but I HAVE found my pilcrow - yeh!!!

Of course you may! Good to have you with us!
I'm new to this so I'll probably do everything wrong, so please forgive me in advance.

Don't worry! It's easy:
Choose your books
Read your books
Report your progress
Don't forget the pilcrow
Don't edit pilcrowed posts
Keep reading
Keep reporting
Finish by the end of September
Simple! :-)

To read one classic and one non-fiction per month:
- the classics are a bit different from my usual choice, a modern classic Canadian trilogy, published as a whole in 1990
- the non-fictions are the three longest among my TBRs, all over 500 pages excludings notes and indeces etc.

Classic: The Cornish Trilogy by Robertson Davies
July: The Rebel Angels (1981)
August: What's Bred in the Bone (1985)
September: The Lyre of Orpheus (1988)

Non-fictions:
July: Trollope by Victoria Glendinning
August: Dickens by Peter Ackroyd
September: The Lisle Letters edited by Muriel St Clare Byrne - documents from the 16th century

all over 500 pages excludings notes and indeces etc.

Don't edit pilocrowed posts! Don't edit pilcrowed posts!
How embarrassing! I've spotted a typo! I hate typos! I can't go back and edit it out! I have to put up with it! Oh, no .... :-(

all over 500 pages excludings notes and indeces etc.

How embarrassing! I've spotted a typo! I hate typos! I can't go back and edit it out! I have to put up with it! Oh, no .... :-(

You are now free to edit to your heart's content.

You are now free to edit to your heart's content.

Oh, I couldn't possibly! The sky might fall ....

To read one classic and one non-fiction per month:
- the classics are a bit different from my usual choice, a modern classic Canadian trilogy, published as a whole in 1990

Classic: The Cornish Trilogy by Robertson Davies
July: The Rebel Angels (1981)
August: What's Bred in the Bone (1985)
September: The Lyre of Orpheus (1988)

Nu-Knees, I predict that you will love them. Hope I'm right!

I'm going to keep my goal the same as it was for SIY20 -
12 books from other BCers.

This keeps me getting those books out the door, although sometimes I think new ones come in as fast as the old ones go out (or faster ;)

I know about those multiplying books. Just when I think I have it under control.....

Good to see so many enthusiastic Challengers signing up for SIY21! I think there's 9 of us already :-)

O.K. I've decided on a (hopefully realistic) goal for my challenge.

First of all, I should point out that I am in three reading groups, all of which meet monthly, so I have three books to read before I even begin my challenge. Therefore, I aim to read one book from my "to read" shelf and one book from my Kindle store every other week. That will give me a total of seven books per month, which I should be able to manage - especially if I spend more time reading and less time on the computer!!!

So, that's it, not so bad. And if I do fail, there's always next time.

First of all, I should point out that I am in three reading groups, all of which meet monthly, so I have three books to read before I even begin my challenge. Therefore, I aim to read one book from my "to read" shelf and one book from my Kindle store every other week. That will give me a total of seven books per month, which I should be able to manage - especially if I spend more time reading and less time on the computer!!!

Hi maggiebramley & welcome to SIY. I'm afraid I need some clarification. Are you going to read a total of 21 books? If so how many of those are TBRs and how many Kindles? I also didn't quite get how 2 books every other week adds up to 7/month instead of 4ish?

Hi maggiebramley & welcome to SIY. I'm afraid I need some clarification. Are you going to read a total of 21 books? If so how many of those are TBRs and how many Kindles? I also didn't quite get how 2 books every other week adds up to 7/month instead of 4ish?

I know you need the clarification from maggiebramley, but please let me post my interpretation of her goal#. She wrote "I have three books to read before I even begin my challenge," but she might have added these three books and two books from TBR and two books from Kindle store. Then the monthly total will come up to seven books. That is my guess although she sounded she would exclude the books she read for her book club.

I hope maggiebramley will read your inquiry soon.

Sorry about the ambiguity. My goal is seven books per month - three for my reading groups, two from my Kindle store and two from my "To Be Read" shelf.

I knew I'd get it wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same as last time: read 10 books. But this time I won't be distinguishing between BC books and others. Just 10 books.

Insanely, I have a shot at actually making my SIY20 goals after all. So I definitely will try again for 21. Keeping it simpler:
13 books for the Around the World Challenge
12 other books of my choosing

Insanely, I have a shot at actually making my SIY20 goals after all. So I definitely will try again for 21. Keeping it simpler:
13 books for the Around the World Challenge
12 other books of my choosing

Er...how's your arithmetic generally eparks?
When I went to school 13+12 added up to 25, but then who knows what the 'new math' can do these days! :o)

"try again for 21" might refer to SIY21 and not the actual books total

Welcome!
Good to see our different goals being declared!

don't think I'm going to complete SIY 20, but will be back for more. Will come back to confirm book list.

Rhonder 6 yrs ago
I'm in again
I'm not going to make my SIY20 goal. That was my first time in this challenge!

I've already been thinking about what my goal should be for this one (before it was even posted) but haven't quite decided so I'll be back with it.

Welcome back dark-draco and Rhonder :-)

This time I'm going to try for 14 books. I'll just leave it at that, short and simple - just 14 books.

My goal this time to read a total of 15 books from Mt. TBR. I'm still enjoying looking at my empty shelf:)

Welcome back to neige49 and katiesmama

Here's the list so far:
any book left over from 20 (right now, it is The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck as I am about to start it, but doubt my ability to finish it by July 1)
3 library book group books:
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
The Confession of Nat Turner by William Styron
The Paris Wife by Paula McClain
2 BC books from other bookcrossers
The Corruption of Zachary R by Douglas Richardson
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
1 book ring book
A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor
14 others to be announced

total of 21 books

NICNIC2 6 yrs ago
Me too!!!
I'm doing quite well with SIY 20 so I'm going to mix it up a bit this time round.
My goals this time round are 12 fiction TBRs and 3 nonfiction TBRs.

Welcome, NICNIC2!

I'm going to be ambitious again--hopefully I'll be able to make it.

My goal is:
-12 Mystery/nonfiction books off TBR
-10 Scifi book off TBR
-1 series (at least 3 book series)
- 2 bookclub books
- 16 magazines
Total: 27 books + 16 magazines

I'm still hoping I might make my goal for SIY #20 so I'm going to shoot for 20 books again for SIY #21.

Eight books from other BCers
Seven books on loan from other people (mostly my sister)
Three library books
One Book Club book
One Thomas Hardy book

Failed abysmally last time I entered the challenge - not reading enough and had computer problems, but this time around I have a holiday! I would like to try again for 6 books (yet to be decided).

Can I reread 'Trollope' with you, NuKnees?
I would like to reread Middlemarch by George Eliot as I am about to get the BBC production on DVD.
The other 4 to be decided later on.

Can I reread 'Trollope' with you, NuKnees?

If you want to - but it's huge! I can't imagine tackling it twice - that's assuming I make it through to the end this first time around. Phew!

Still a few more days before we start - not long now :-)

I'm in again. I'll just have to measure my previously-bookcrossed stack (something between 15 and 20 books) at the end of June and then post my list.

Welcome back, lamelemon!
I wonder if we can make it to 21 by midnight tonight .....

I'm sticking with 21 books total...that has been working for me...
This time I am going to read:
Three Books by Timothy Findley (2nd time reading these) - The Butterfly Plague, The Wars, and Not Wanted on the Voyage
18 other books

So the new page may not go up Sunday, but I'll try to get it up by Monday at the latest.

So the new page may not go up Sunday, but I'll try to get it up by Monday at the latest.

No problem, no pressure! We're grateful that you do find so much time for SIY :-)

is the same as last time - clearing my previously-bookcrossed TBRs. Some of them were also on the SIY20 list, and somehow I managed to gather almost enough to fill the emptied spots of books read for this challenge.

I'm aiming to read 19 books in the following three months, and they are:

Kafka on the Shore, by Haruki Murakami http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9875852
The Door, by Magda Szabo http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7124221
Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8925408/
Solaris, by Stanislaw Lem http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/2252781/
My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7787278
Saturday, by Ian McEwan http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10285741/
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10471607
Playing the Moldovans at Tennis, by Tony Hawks http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10507039
Siddhartha, by Hermann Hesse http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10499140
The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10516992/
Nausea, by Jean-Paul Sartre http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9961069
Animal Farm, by George Orwell http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9724854
The Hours, by Michael Cunningham http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5190564
Very Good, Jeeves!, by P.G. Wodehouse http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11209124
The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency, by Alexander McCall Smith http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9786634
The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10375291
Home, by Marilynne Robinson http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11208747
Acid Row, by Minette Walters http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11214252
Neuromancer, by William Gibson http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11158006/

So good luck to every one taking part, and lots of thanks to our kind organizer and board keeper :)

Ibis3...because I did not make my goal for #20....I am increasing my goal this time to 22 books. The 3 previously mentioned by Timothy Findley and 19 others. My first book finished for SIY#21 will be one I did not finish reading for #20. Thank you!

The end of SIY 20 and the start of SIY 21 marks 5 years of SIY Challenges!
Thanks to all those who've joined in and kept it going over the years :-)
Good luck as we start on another round!

* Three Can-Lit Challenge books (Wild Geese by Martha Ortenso; Flames Across the Border, 1813-1814 by Pierre Berton; Emily Climbs by L. M. Montgomery)

* Finish two books from former SIYs (Principles of a New Science by Giambattista Vico; A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare)

* One book from another BCer (TBD, it depends on how much time I have left)

* Six others

for a total of 12.

I'm starting with Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie and Flames Across the Border. Also Bones and Silence by Reginald Hill as my audiobook the moment it becomes available, though I may have to give up and pick something else to download if it's not available soon.

Total of 12 books

2 leftover from SIY #20
Shades of Earl Grey by Laura Childs
Mad Season by Nancy Means Wright

These 4:
Ties That Bind by Marie Bostwick
From This Moment On by Shania Twain
House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich

6 others

PLUS 14 magazines

Sorry I have been away this weekend so am a bit behind. Will update SIY20 tonight and also add my challenges in for SIY21.

Sorry I have been away this weekend so am a bit behind. Will update SIY20 tonight and also add my challenges in for SIY21.

Welcome back, Diane-Fraser! We've reached 20 Challengers! The next joiner will take us to 21 ... :-)

what I'm working on. OK...my first book I started for the previous SIY; however, I updated my challenge for this time to increase by one book to make it "legal."
1st book - Witches on the Road Tonight by Sheri Holman - this is an excellent novel.
Now I'm reading - Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver; I've had this one on my shelf for so long, and it was listed as a "for further reading" at the end of the Holman novel.
Listening to - 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Started listening to this yesterday and the story is mesmerizing PLUS the narrator, Craig Wasson, is FABULOUS. 30 hours of listening and I probably could just sit knit, and listen for the next 25...back to the real world.

It's already July and a late start, but I decided to participate SIY challenge for the first time. My TBRs are from different places for different purposes (& pleasures), so I need a little detailed goal to follow my progress, and SIY may be what I need now.

Welcome, imuzak12! You have the distinction of being the 21st person to join SIY 21 :-)

It was a little difficult to determine my goal, not to be too high or too low. Here is my reading goal for the next three months.

-Three audiobooks
-Two Japanese language books

***I have lots of TBR from certain authors, so here are my Two author challenge.
-One book from Dean Koontz
-One book from Jodi Picoult

***I also want to reduce TBR on BookCrossing so that I can let them travel.
-Six books from BC's TBR...
"Imago" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10203121/
"More Than Human" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10201040/
"Vampire Lestat" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11228955/
"I am the Messenger" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11236471/
"Memoirs of a Geisha" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11216395/
"Neuromancer" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11216398/

The total is 13 books.

***I also want to reduce TBR on BookCrossing so that I can let them travel.
"Imago" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10203121/
"More Than Human" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10201040/
"Vampire Lestat" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11228955/
"I am the Messenger" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11236471/
"Memoirs of a Geisha" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11216395/
"Neuromancer" http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11216398/

Authors please!

Authors please!

Oops, I'm sorry. Here is the revised partial list of mine.

"Imago" by Octavia E Butler. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10203121/
"More Than Human" by Theodore Sturgeon. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10201040/
"Vampire Lestat" by Anne Rice. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11228955/
"I am the Messenger" by Markus Zusak. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11236471/
"Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11216395/
"Neuromancer" by William Gibson. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11216398/

Thank you, Ibis3.

As seem to be a little short on time today. Sticking with 15 books in total broken down as follows:

x9 Bookcrossed
x5 TBRs
x1 World Book Night

Started this one yesterday - from the Bookcrossed Pile

Enter a Murderer by Ngaio Marsh http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9859687/

an extra day. Sorry for the delay, folks.

Miss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael West.

It's a classic, it's short, it's on the 1001 Books lists and I didn't like it much. I don't like bleak and cynical. But It was a quick start. More coming soon!

Sorry this is a bit later than I planned - ran out of time over weekend. This is my book list for the next challenge.

To Read left over books from SIY 20:
1. K-Pax by Gene Brewster
2. The Horse: A Complete Encyclopedia by Pam Cary
3. Gallows Thief by Bernard Cornwell
4. Grail 1: Harlequin by Bernard Cornwell
5. Grail 2: Vagabond by Bernard Cornwell
6. Grail 3: Heretic by Bernard Cornwell
7. Spartan Gold by Clive Cussler

To Read 21 books from TBR:
1. Endgame by Dafydd ab Hugh
2. Infernal Sky by Dafydd ab Hugh
3. Hell on Earth by Dafydd ab Hugh
4. Knee Deep in the Dead by Dafydd ab Hugh
5. Han Solo’s Revenge by Brian Daley
6. The Iron Tree by Cecelia Dart-Thornton
7. Weatherwitch by Cecelia Dart-Thornton
8. Q in Law by Peter David
9. Characters from Tolkein by David Day
10. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K Dick
11. Martian Time-Slip by Philip K Dick
12. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Philip K Dick
13. Bleak House by Charles Dickens
14. Lord of the Isles by David Drake
15. Queen of Demons by David Drake
16. Servant of the Dragon by David Drake
17. Mistress of the Catacombs by David Drake
18. Goddess of the Ice Realm by David Drake
19. Master of the Cauldron by David Drake
20. Dragonheart by Jody Duncan
21. Nickolai of the North by Lucy Daniel Raby

That should keep me busy for a while :)

I'm reading Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. Sayers. Does anyone else find Lord Peter Wimsey's language annoying? Maybe it's because that style has been parodied so many times that it now seems trite. Do you think anyone really talked like that even back in the 1930's?

will be Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer since Bones and Silence is still unavailable.

***I'm still working on the progress page...

I've still got a few things to do (all cosmetic). For now, the progress page can be found at

http://www.readerofthestack.com/siy-challenge21.html

When it goes up on the regular URL tomorrow I'll let you know. In the meantime, please ignore the scaffolding.

Thank you! I couldn't resist a sneak preview! I love the birthday cake with its candle :-)

Ibis3 - thank you for the sneak peek. You are amazing! I love celebrating being 5! It makes me feel younger. :-)

The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve
Off to the shelves to pick the next book

Rhonder 6 yrs ago
¶ Report
Finished Shades of Earl Grey
Currently reading Mad Season

I took a sneak peek and it looks great! Thank you for all the work you do!

It's up.

It looks great - thank you Ibis3!

Thank you for the beautiful progress page.

Thanks again Ibis3, I love the 5th anniversary theme.

I've finished The Lost Explorer: Finding Mallory on Mt. Everest by Conrad Anker and David Roberts. GoryDetails sent this to me last year in a box of books for my OBCZ, and I wanted to read it now since it was a short read and I need some non-fiction and adventure books for a RABCK I want to do later this summer. Good book, contrasting the perspectives of one of the mountain climbers who found Mallory's body in 1999 and a historian who presents information about Mallory's life and the trek in 1924 when he was lost.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10322950/

I finished reading "The Transformation of Barholomew Fortuno" by Ellen Bryson. I have also started reading "The Broken Lands" by Robert Edric and "Water Street" by Patricia Reilly Giff.

I want to read these 9 titles:

1. *Going to Antarctica* by Robert Yonaitis
2. *Organize for a Fresh Start* by Susan Fay West
3. *Shenandoah Watercolors* by Beth Trissel
4. *Woods Runner* by Gary Paulsen
5. *Sisterhood Everlasting* by Ann Brashares
6. *Eucalyptus* by Murray Bail
7. *The Changeling* by Robin Jenkins
8. *The Hound of Heaven* by Robert Waldron
9. *Poem of the Cid* translated by W.S. Merwin

That gives me, in order above, 3 left over from SIY 20, 1 from my school library, 1 from the public library, 3 RABCKs from other BCers, and one formidable "classic".

Welcome back, Megi53!

Both my library books are finished. I read *Woods Runner* by Gary Paulsen, which I enjoyed much more than I expected to (our Swiss exchange student donated it to the library and encouraged me to read it; otherwise I probably never would have chosen it). Samuel's character development was easier for me to follow than it was for other Paulsen heroes (most notably, Brian from *Hatchet*).

I just finished *Sisterhood Everlasting* by Ann Brashares and did not like it; full of referential and spelling errors. In the Reader's Guide at the end, the author says she wants to write more about these characters and hints about two of them (committed to other people, with babies) having an affair in that future book. Ugh.

Both of the books above had the convention of beginning each chapter with a quote, usually from a poem or song (*Sisterhood*) or a historical vignette (*Woods*). I liked that practice -- when I liked the poem/song or history within the individual chapter openings, that is!

I finished *Going to Antarctica* by Robert Yonaitis from my unfinished SIY 20 group of e-books. It was marvelous (except for Kindle books' usual lack of copy-editing).

Current book: *Shenandoah Watercolors* by Beth Trissel.

Today I finished *Shenandoah Watercolors* by Beth Trissel. I love memoirs about the Blue Ridge Mountains, but this had just slightly fewer than average self-published ebook problems -- not only spelling and grammatical errors, but incomplete sentences such as : "It's easy to feel safe and content by one's fireside holding a steaming bowl of broth, but outside when the wind whistles through the leaves and creatures stir in the shadows". (location 2320) Trissel published this as a coffee table book, too, for which I'll keep my eyes open -- photos of the animals and scenery would be great!

Current book: *Organize for a Fresh Start* by Susan Fay West (my third attempt at this one).

Today I finished both *Organize for a Fresh Start* by Susan Fay West and *The Hound of Heaven* by Robert Waldron. Both were under 200 pages, but took an excruciatingly long time to read; I suppose because I have to read so many other things for my job at this time of the year.

Current book: *The Changeling* by Robin Jenkins.

Just finished *The Changeling* by Robin Jenkins.

Current book: *Eucalyptus* by Murray Bail

I finished *Eucalyptus* by Murray Bail at about 9:15 last night.

Gave up on *Poem of the Cid* a few weeks ago so -- once again, I didn't reach my goal.

But I did have fun doing this; and thanks for updating my statistics anyway.

I finished Death Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers last night:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6333323

I thought it was interesting as a historical piece but not the best mystery, not even the best Wimsey mystery. And I'm still irritated by Wimsey's speaking style!

Now I am on to behind the beautiful forevers by Katherine Boo.

finished Death Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers

Category?

finished Death Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers

Category?

Sorry Ibis3 (and thanks Nu-Knees for alerting me to this quaere). This book is from the other BookCrossers category.

I have just finished Daughters In Law by Joanna Trollope (Kindle). It was a shrewd observation of relationships, particularly between the females of the family - now I know how not to behave towards my daughters-in-law!!!

Now all I have to do is to decide what to read next..................

Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe

starting on The Raphael Affair by Iain Pears.

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

and starting
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Last night I finished reading "The Broken Lands" by Robert Edric. I have also started two more books: "Kindred" by Octavia Butler and "The Star Rover" by Jack London.

Currently Reading:
Expecting Adam by Martha Beck http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7543254/

Nothing finished for this challenge and nothing for stats yet.

and I am a fair way through Frost at Christmas by RD Wingfield http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/10028683/, this is another from the bookcrossed pile.

as I had to finish a book I'd started in June first. Am now reading 'Bruiloft aan zee', by Abdelkader Benali.

Will be starting this evening, The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, or the Murder at Road Hill House by Kate Summerscale.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6979008/

The first update for SIY #21 is starting off pretty good.

My accomplishments for bookclubs (2):
1. Tilt a whirl by Chris Grabenstein

My accomplishments for magazines off TBR (16):
1. EW March 16/23
2. Science March 25/April 6
3. EW March 30/6
4. Science April 13/20

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.