July readathon-30th July-6th August(FINISHED!)

Forum » Book Talk | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Roll up Roll up it's that time again! Dust off your bookies and fire up your brain for this month's readathon!

QUESTION-What is the readathon?
The aim is to read for 24 hours spread out over these 7 full days and nights. Don't worry if you can't manage the full 24 as it is not as easy as it sounds. 24 hours is just a target to make things interesting-just read as much as you can. Pick your own books to read, read as much or as little each day as you want as you try to reach your goal. Joining is simple, just post below and say hello! Remember to take note of when we start.

QUESTION-What am I allowed to read!
Normal books, plays, screenplays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, marvel/Dc comics, university/college textbooks, books set by schools, audio books, ebooks. Anything really except newspapers and magazines.

QUESTION-What happens before we start?
After posting here, if you want to you can post your reading goals, set your own reading target and tell us the books you intend to read for the upcoming event.

QUESTION-What happens in the readathon?
You take note of the amount of time you read and then post here to tell us how you are getting on. You can do a session by session update or a daily total, whatever you prefer to do. You can tell us what you are reading and what you think of it if you want to. We're nosey and like to hear from you! Some people use clocks or timers or paper to keep track of reading time as it is easy to forget!

QUESTION-When do we start and finish?
We start this month as Thursday 29th July at 2359pm turns to midnight Friday morning on the 30th in your timezone. We read 7 full days and nights and stop as Thursday 5th August turns to Friday 6th August in your timezone. So our reading days are Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Reading on the 2nd Friday does not count towards your total as this would be day 8!

Remember not to get stressed about your reading-this is a fun challenge! We all read at different speeds and have different time constraints and work/family committments so don't worry if you see people way ahead of you! read what you can and enjoy!

during the summer. I hope to reach the 24 hour goal and read at least 5 books!
Thanks for hosting the readathons chuckles!

:)

I'm marking my calender!

maybe this time I'll get in 24 hours!

to look forward to each month. Even if I am setting myself up for failure. :-)

Count me in!

I'll probably not make it, as I will be going on holiday 2 August. On the other hand, I will spend quite a bit of time on planes and such. So, unless I fall asleep (I often do on planes), I'll read. But at least I'll try!

Jayebirck 10 yrs ago
Bump!
:0)

I'll be thinking about the readathon and you guys. Good luck everyone. See ya back here in Sept

Have a great trip and buy lots of books!

I was hoping you hadn't bailed with the site still under construction.

Even though I only did 24 hours once, I'm in again! It does get me reading more that week....and moving more along.....

Well, you guys can't get rid of me that easily! *grins* Nice to have you with us as always!

annenz 10 yrs ago
For sure.....
count me in please and a big thank you for hosting this again!!!

I don't know how many hours I'll get in, but I'm up for a challenge!

katrinat 10 yrs ago
me too
i.ll get the right week this month. My aim: 24 hours minimum and The Count of Monte Cristo to read

I haven't had any books to read since sometime in June and won't be able to access any more until I go home in August, so no read-a-thons for me until then. I miss having anything to read and being able to do read-a-thons. Maybe I'll be able to do the August-September one.

Poor ModMouse! I can't imagine the horror of having nothing to read! That would be like a Living Hell for chuckles! Have you had a look at some of the sites offering free e-books that you can download to your computer? It's not perfect having to sit and read on your computer but it might give you something to help you pass the time. I can't remember the sites I've been looking at but I just wrote free e-books in my search engine. Hope you can find something!

On the first computer I've ever had (a PC), I'd download various things at various times, mostly games, and something called "Weather Bug", and that ended up take a toll on said computer. My stepdad took care of the problems, but he did tell me in no uncertain terms not to download stuff ever again. (This was during the first time I was living with him and my mom, which lasted until I finished college. Shortly thereafter, I moved in with my "real" dad, but that ended up lasting only 9 1/2 months due to health problems my dad developed.)

The computer I have now is a laptop (my second one ever), and not only am I worried about downloads ruining said laptop, but since I'm not the one that bought it, I'm also worried about getting in trouble for said downloads. (As live-at-home daughther I can get in trouble for doing something wrong, especially if it falls under the "I should know better" category. This was especially true when I was living with my dad.)

But thanks anyway.

That sucks! Yeah my first computer got wrecked by a virus sent on accidently by a friend in a forward. Now I don't accept any kind of forwards just in case so I can totally understand your fears. Hope you'll be able to join us again in the future!

no books to read.
I don't blame you for being cautious about downloads, I am nearly paranoid when it comes to downloads.

I'm scheduled to go home the second or third week of August, unless it turns out otherwise, so I only have to wait another three and a half weeks at most before I have access to books of my own again. (I must admit, though, that running out of stuff to read in June without being in a position to access more books felt rather strange when it happened.)

TinaJean 10 yrs ago
I'm in again!
I've requested that there be no family emergencies during this week so I should get some good reading hours in. :)

in the hopes that I'll have finished The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton when the readathon starts.
Especially because although I'll sign up for the August readathon, we'll be moving 302Cobra into his place at college the final weekend of August. My baby will be going off to TSTC in Waco. I'll still have the youngest at home, but it won't be the same.

I'm going to be going to the tbr shelves with the war and historical fiction and trying to get what I can read or put aside for trade/charity shop etc. MUST clear a decent amount of space on my shelves as in the last month I've swapped 126 books on a UK book site! EEEK! Nothing seems to just leave the house now as something else is taking its place!

I'm also picking out books; I don't usually do that, but I'll be away from home. I can't possibly run out of books because I'm going to be in Stratford, Ontario - home of my favorite bookstore, Fanfare Books. But I'll have books with me when I leave AND my laptop, so I can check in. :-)

On one hand, I've got a day off coming up. On the other hand, I'm off to Canada for five days in August, so I don't know how much time I'll have for reading.

Get your books ready!

Lock up the cats, kick out the kids, tell granny not to visit and pack your other half off to visit the mother-in-law...yes it's time to get reading your books without pesky interruptions!

I'm going to attack my historical book shelf to weed out the chaff that has been gathering dust for over a year. Hopefully I can set a few of them free to new homes...

to go!

train commute bag stocked for the morning!

I totally forgot, thought it wasn't until tomorrow!

I was so tired by 1.30am that I had to call it a night but will get a bit done when I come off the computer. I've already abandoned 4 books! RESULT!

Finished Farewell to Manzanar - very good. Now finishing a brain candy Christmas book for the Christmas in July challenge, so I can drop it off at the post office OBCZ tomorrow.

Then on to more cerebral reading :-)

Finished Farewell to Manzanar - very good. Now finishing a brain candy Christmas book for the Christmas in July challenge, so I can drop it off at the post office OBCZ tomorrow.

Then on to more cerebral reading :-)

I liked Farewell to Manzanar...it was the first book I'd seen that dealt with what happened to the poor Japanese Americans in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor.

Finished Farewell to Manzanar - very good.

I liked Farewell to Manzanar...it was the first book I'd seen that dealt with what happened to the poor Japanese Americans in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor.

I recommend Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. It is a very good book about that same topic, told from the POV of a young Chinese American who falls in love with a Japanese American girl.

Finished Farewell to Manzanar - very good.

I recommend Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. It is a very good book about that same topic, told from the POV of a young Chinese American who falls in love with a Japanese American girl.

Ooh it's on my tbr shelf! Must put it higher on the list and get to it sooner! Thanks for the recommendation!

Fortunately I'm now on summer holiday!

BTW; Made a blog entry about it here:
http://lunacia.net/?...

...means you have to read about 3 1/2 hours each day. So far today I've read 2 1/2 hours, so I have only an hour left to fill today's quota. ;)

...but I will try and see how I do!

lots more of the count of monte cristo read

Ok so far I have spend 3 hrs reading different mangas. I finished Noise, read some of Once peice, Inuyasha. spent 30 mins reading Second Son. Going to read more before I go to bed. I also have to read some for my AFS course.

May read a bit more tonight but will post tomorrow.

Only 15 minutes so far today, but it's still plenty of time left to read!

Reading The name of the Rose (in Swedish) by Umberto Eco.

Reading 'West of the Wall' by Marcia Preston.

Slow start for me but I haven't been sleeping great so feel tired all the time. I was going cross-eyed trying to read last night! I abandoned another couple of historical books so I'm pleased with that. Very disappointed with The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I was expecting more from it but found it slow and boring.

That makes a total of 5 1/2 hours.

I have a photo of my last hour of reading space here:
http://lunacia.net/?...
Envious? ;)

Oh, and you can even see the book I'm reading!

I read my brains out last week - finished two or three books and for the start of this read-a-thon... nada and we are already moving on to another day... I'm still gonna try though! I kind of was read out by yesterday so I maybe did 15 minutes on the 30th! I've got a full week this week so I'm going to have to squeeze the time in somewhere!
Good luck everyone!

I read my brains out last week - finished two or three books and for the start of this read-a-thon... nada and we are already moving on to another day... I'm still gonna try though! I kind of was read out by yesterday so I maybe did 15 minutes on the 30th! I've got a full week this week so I'm going to have to squeeze the time in somewhere!
Good luck everyone!

It would just be too much work for me if everyone picked their own week each month! I'd have to be on here 3 times a day every day of every month every day of the year to answer questions and see how everyone is doing etc and I'm afraid I need to have my own life as well!

Good luck everyone!

It would just be too much work for me if everyone picked their own week each month! I'd have to be on here 3 times a day every day of every month every day of the year to answer questions and see how everyone is doing etc and I'm afraid I need to have my own life as well!

Oh I wasn't really asking to pick my own week ... It just seems that I end up doing more reading when it isn't a read-a-thon! Just ignore my whining! I did get two hours in yesterday. :)

three hours in reading "The Help" (considering I am spending most of my day doing house rehabbing, I guess that is not too bad...can't wait for it to be over though)

3 1/2 hours today most of it reading a book, some of it mangas. Lets see thats about 7 hrs so far in the 2 days. Not sure how much I will get done tomorrow I am going to the movies. But Monday is a holiday so I can spend most of the day reading if I wanted to!

Not great but I am also organizing a week long theatre seminar with 50 + people each seeing 8 plays. So...reading time is minimal :-)

Most of it an audiobook, Vikingaguld (in Swedish) by Catharina Ingelman Sundberg. With audiobooks I can "read" while I walk the dog etc.
Total: 4 hours

Had a reading frenzy last night and got through another few for the charity shop! So far in the readathon I have finished 2 and abandoned 12 which is awesome good news!!! I'm just finished 'Jarhead' and will move on to one of those depressing true story ones that suck out my very soul!

I'm going to try and stick in a chapter or two between laundry and packing (and any other house hold chores I can get done today so I don't have to do them during the week). I don't leave for vacation until next Sunday, but I work the four days before and we'll be out the door 5am on Sunday... So I'm attempting to be organized.

something more cerebral :-) Packing for son's wedding (we leave Wednesday), so sped through 2 brain candy books! Now I really HAVE to get through the next ray, so i can post it on the way out the door Wednesday morning.

So....another 5 hours on brain candy = 6 hours so far.

an hour was spent today on a book about teaching thinking the rest on The Count of Monte Cristo. Off to watch a dvd now but may get a little more in before bed

Managed 5 hours yesterday and 3 1/2 hours Friday, that means a total of 11 hours 20 mins so far, if I'm correct. I srill have 1 hour and 45 mins left of today, so I think I'll manage my 3 1/2 hours today.

I think I'll leave the rest of my packing until tomorrow, and go to bed. ;) Leaving town on a bus at 14.50. Can't read on the bus though. :( The bus takes a couple of hours to the airport. I will have plenty of time there, before my plane leaves. There will also be a bit of travel time on Tuesday before I reach my goal: Iceland! :D

Got a little bit of reading in, but not a lot by my standards, lol.

Now getting into reading this book!!

total now 4 hours (spent all day painting)

Esme-Weatherwax 10 yrs ago
day 3
2 hrs. Total 9 hrs. No mangas today just a book I am hoping to finish by tomorrow. Was gone most of the day. Went to the movies then there was a classic car show. Tomorrow I should get in loads of reading in ( I hope) I have chores to do but I will read at the park btw them if the weather is good.

Quite pleased at how well it is going. Finished 'Jarhead' which was an ok read-it really does show you the boredom and hellish conditions the troops faced when preparing to enter Kuwait in the first Gulf War. Now reading 'The Cellist of Sarajevo' which has been good and I've read two thirds of it.

Snuck in more that a chapter or two and read through a tv program or two that hubby was watching.

Got called into work early Day 4, but I think I might finish the book I'm on today/night. :)

Sad to say very little reading done. Only 6 hours for Friday through Sunday! Hopefully today I'll pick up some more time between loads of laundry. Tomorrow I'll read some more as I wait in line to register my son at the high school, it takes forever! Then Wednesday and Thursday will be good days to read even more!
I did finish The Forgotten Garden and started reading Burned by Ellen Hopkins, so I managed one goal. Now to meet the 24 hour goal and a couple more books read too!

SophieMops 10 yrs ago
Day 3
Three and a half hours with The name of the rose, Vikingaguld and a short story by Willy Josefsson.
Total: 7.5 hours

I'm off to get in a few more hours tonight!

finished the one book. Hope to either work on one I'm already into or start another this evening.

Add another 2 last night = tot tally 11hours.

making a total of 7 hours, but did finish "The Help" and still got some painting done.

Day 4
I read 4 hours today. The time went by really fast. Total 13 hrs. Tomorrow may be tricky I have loads to do humm may have to have a late night tomorrow.

katrinat 10 yrs ago
yesterday
i got my total up to 15hrs 48 mins. Not sure what i.m gonna manage today, have to go to town, do some housework and possibly school work to. Aiming for 3 hours.

Finished The Cellist of Sarajevo which was a good read and then abandoned 4 more books before calling it a night at 3am. Will need to get started on a new book but can't quite decide which one yet!

i read more than i thought i would today - that would be because i abandoned the housework! Just got back from the monthly bookcrossing meet up and want to read more about The Count (only 210 pages to go) so going to grab a cup of tea and aim for another 30mins to an hour.

i read more than i thought i would today - that would be because i abandoned the housework! Just got back from the monthly bookcrossing meet up and want to read more about The Count (only 210 pages to go) so going to grab a cup of tea and aim for another 30mins to an hour.

Yeah housework be damned!

wingminesaynwing 10 yrs ago
Day 4...
maybe an hour or so which brings the total to about 8 hours. I'm failing again, but on the other hand, the house is looking good :)

Day 5
So far I have only read 2 hrs, unless Science Jorunals counts. I am trying to put togther a few abstracts for possable Ph.D programme. My head hurt after that and thus I could not read very much. Hopefully I will get more done tomorrow for I will not touch the abstracts again until Thursday. My total is 15 hours

Spiders in the bath, neighbours leaving at 3am to go on holiday and a nice dose of insomnia as well! Well the good news is that I got some unexpected reading time and I'm up to 19.5 hours when I had intended to just have an early night...

katrinat 10 yrs ago
completed'
I finished not just the 24 hours but also The Count of Monte Cristo, which was a really good read =D

I'm on holiday in Reykjavík, so reading has been really slowly! Sorry!

with only an hour yesterday.

This book is great!!

annenz 10 yrs ago
Day 5.. 5 hours
Finished the first book, now onto the second which is really riveting...Judge and Jury by James Patterson!!

Finished a ray AND a brain candy read yesterday - 3 hours, plus traveled cross country, sitting on the runway with the rain pounding down for an hour in Denver - ao already up to page 150 in Manhunt by Swanson.

Up to 14 hours!

Just need to fit in a wee bit more today and I'm there. It is HOSING it down with rain so I don't think I'm going out anywhere! I finished a book last night called Slave Girl by Sarah Forsyth. A British girl answering an ad in a UK newspaper for nurses to go to Amsterdam finds herself trapped as a prostitute instead. Very shocking true story.

Slave Girl by Sarah Forsyth. A British girl answering an ad in a UK newspaper for nurses to go to Amsterdam finds herself trapped as a prostitute instead. Very shocking true story.

Sounds like an uplifting read! I know of a story that a girl in the states answered and ad for acting work and the samer thing happened to her. The brave girl call the police and they busted the SOB

Slave Girl by Sarah Forsyth. A British girl answering an ad in a UK newspaper for nurses to go to Amsterdam finds herself trapped as a prostitute instead. Very shocking true story.

Sounds like an uplifting read! I know of a story that a girl in the states answered and ad for acting work and the samer thing happened to her. The brave girl call the police and they busted the SOB

With these books you just think to yourself 'how can these things happen?' I was shocked to hear that in the UK there are thousands of these hellish places where girls are being forced to be prostitutes. You always think 'it wouldn't happen here' but sadly it does...

...that there's no way I'm going to make it. I'm just too busy being a tourist. But I am having a wonderful time. :)

...that there's no way I'm going to make it. I'm just too busy being a tourist. But I am having a wonderful time. :)

Keep enjoying yourself! There's always next month for the readathon but being a tourist is great fun!

a time change and a blessing of 3 more hours :-) not that that is going to make a difference with the wedding events - but i'll get a little more time in.....

Nancy

only added 1.5

Start with 13.5

add 1/2 hour at work
add 1 hour before dinner...15

Hope to add more after laundry and before sleep!
add 2 Tot tally as of 8:30pm 17 hours

Finished another book... Yeah!!! :)

Day 6
sorry I fell asleep before I could log in for day 6. I only did 2 hrs yesterday total 17 hrs

Day 7
Today I was able to read 6 hrs total 22 hours fell short of 2 hrs ohh well next time! I worked on the seven daughters of eve and some manga. If the science journals counted then I have my 24 well what does the judge say Chuckles? did I make it or not ????

But that's OK. I've been enjoying my seminar and seeing plays. I did finish reading a book today, so I'm pleased with my overall results this month. And...there's always August. :-)

wingminesaynwing 10 yrs ago
Day 5...
maybe another hour, and then Day 6, none at all, okay maybe 15 minutes because spent the day with family that came in from Montana, total 9 hours 15 minutes, and even if I read until 12 midnight starting now, well it ain't happening. Maybe next month when the house and house guests are done and gone

I haven't had access to reading material since sometime in June. That'll all change this weekend when I go home. I so look forward to registering the books that await me there so that I can read and release them (not to mention update my reading blog).

I didn't get to participate in the most recent read-a-thon or the one before it, but I do hopen to catch one that starts at the end of August and ends in September.

I read past midnight for a few uncounted hours as I was enjoying my book! I'm reading Notes on a Scandal and I love Barbara! She's wickedly scheming!

I haven't read the full 24 hrs since Christmas. It was nice just to sit & chill with a good book.

About my usual. But will keep on trying for those magical 24 hours each month!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.