An Open Invitation to Join the Thirteenth Set It Yourself Reading Challenge (SIY#13) July to September 2010

Forum » Book Talk | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
I'd like to welcome Challengers old and new to join us as we enter our fourth year of Setting Our Own Challenges! The first SIY Challenge started way back in July 2007. It's brought pleasure to many BookCrossers since then and we hope that this next Quarter will see many more Challengers returning or joining us for the first time.

It's a simple idea, doing pretty much what it says in its title i.e. you set your own reading goals and follow them through!
First you decide what you're going to read for this Challenge during the next Quarter - which might be only a portion of all your reading. The choice is yours entirely.
Then you enjoy reading your books, dropping in here from time to time to report on your progress.
If, by midnight on 30 September 2010, you've read everything you said you would, then you've succeeded. If you haven't, you've failed!
It's as simple as that!

Please note that this is a reading and not a releasing challenge. Where you get your books and what you do with them afterwards has no part to play, although it can be an interesting aside if you care to mention it!

We're very grateful to Ibis3 for producing beautiful Progress Pages to keep track of our goals and our progress towards them. We're very grateful for all the hard work she puts into the page. The next post tells us how we can help to make her work easier, please.

You'll be able to see the current Progress Page and find links to earlier ones here:
http://www.readerofthestack.com/siy-challenge.html
Thank you, Ibis3, for a lovely sunny Summer pic!

The main thing, of course, is to enjoy your Challenge :-)

¶ Here's a copyable pilcrow for those who would like to use it (the rules explain why you might want to!) ¶

These are the Rules to help Ibis3 to keep track of our Progress:

1. Whenever you have some progress to report, please start your subject line with a pilcrow (¶) to draw Ibis3's attention to your post.
You can find a pilcrow on most keyboards by holding down the alt key and typing 0182 or 788. Failing that, please copy and paste one from elsewhere ¶
You may report on your progress as frequently or infrequently as you like. Some people make a note of every book they finish. Others update weekly, fortnightly or even monthly. Anything and everything is fine as long as you submit a new post every time.

2. Once you've posted a progress report DO NOT GO BACK AND EDIT IT for any reason. Let it stand exactly as it is. Do not alter it in any way. If you've made a mistake, even if it's only a typo, even if you see it immediately, please resist the temptation to make the change. Always submit a new post with the amended information, pointing out what was wrong and why it needed the correction. Start the second subject line with another pilcrow.

3. Sometimes Ibis3 replies to pilcrowed posts with a question, asking for clarification, pointing out discrepancies etc. Please look out for these and respond here in the SIY#13 thread (not by PM), marking the new post with another pilcrow.

4. Returning challengers please note that there's no longer any need to remove the pilcrow when Ibis3 has updated the progress page. We hope that eliminating this edit will reinforce the Do Not Edit At All message!

5. Do not use a pilcrow if your post does not contain information to be included in your section of the progress page e.g. if it's a comment about books in general and/or about one that another challenger is reading etc. If you reply to somebody else's post, then please remember to remove their pilcrow that will automatically come up in the subject line. Of course, there's no problem if you fancy editing these posts!

If we all follow these simple rules, then we'll be helping Ibis3 to chart our progress as effectively and efficiently as possible, without adding unnecessarily to the time and effort she puts in to doing it.

Thank you in advance for your co-operation!

dutch- book inspired me to join. I need to get rid of my very old tbr books. I have a large bookcase in my bedroom filled with hard cover bios that I was convinced I had to buy and read. My aim is clean up that book case. I would like to join.
Now to decide if I want to read a bio of Bismark Or T.E. Lawrence

Could you give me an exact number of books? or a list?

Thanks.

I finished Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama. That brings me up to 9 out of 12 books completed.

I received this as a RABCK from Squeakychu last year. I've only read the prologue and 1st chapter so far, but I think I'm going to enjoy it.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6179889

Not sure if I'm going to be successful in this challenge this quarter or not. This is my 7th book that qualifies, so I've still got 3 more after this one. Time's getting away too fast!

I just read the review for Sara Gruen's latest book, The Ape House, and saw an interview with her about it. I'm going to have to get my hands on it sooner rather than later because I loved Water for Elephants.

I'm going to have to get my hands on it sooner rather than later because I loved Water for Elephants.

I so agree with the second half of your sentence that I'll have to agree with the first half as well, although this is the first I've heard of The Ape House (LOL!)
Welcome home!

I so agree with the second half of your sentence that I'll have to agree with the first half as well, although this is the first I've heard of The Ape House (LOL!)
Welcome home!

Here's the review from the Globe and Mail website:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/---/article1702481/
and here's the link for the interview from the Canadian Random House site:
http://www.booklounge.ca/---/index.html?...

Let me know what you think. And thanks for the welcome.

Here's the review....

Wow, that's quite a scenario! Thanks for the link!

Here's the review from the Globe and Mail website:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/---/article1702481/

I loved Water for elephants, and the new one sounds a must read. Thanks for the link.

As Challengers sign up for the next Quarter, I'll keep count here, in alphabetical order of Screen Names. There were 25 of us for SIY#12 and 29 for SIY#11. I wonder if we can raise that number for SIY#13, maybe get above 30 ....
27 Challengers as of 14.7.10

blackwidow1971
bookguide
bluenoser
Caroley
CynthiaA
dutch-book
FeistyPom2Love
Geileis
gypsysmom
Heaven150
Ibis3
kawaiikitty78
lane1088
Lemon-Crisis
MaryZee
Megi53
minesayn
Miss-Owl
mrsgaskell
nancynova
Nauris
Neige49
NMReader
Nu-Knees
sshahid
tqd
varykino (withdrawn 14.7.10)
zz-neena

I've decided to up the number of books to 30 for SIY#13. Summer is here, visitors don't start arriving until August and school is out, so there should be a little more reading time - at least in July.
I've not decided what to read yet but I definitely want to keep books received from other BCers and books promised to others near the top of the pile.
On the other hand I'm really enjoying Plum-Crazy's 'theme challenge', the current one being to read books with numbers in the titles or in the author's name, so I'll combine the two, which means picking my books every 4 weeks.

I'm going to continue with my usual Challenge of one Classic (pre-WWI and preferably earlier) and one Non-fiction per month (details later). I've received several books from generous BookCrossers in both categories, thank you very much, so I'm going to prioritise those this time.

with the following challenge: Read 12 of the oldest journaled books on my TBR-shelf registered by others and read 6 of the oldest on my TBR-shelf registered by me.

Welcome, dutch-book! It's good to have you join us - and Good Luck with your Challenge :-)

My goal will to be to read 10 books that are in my home now.

This may seem like a strange set it yourself challenge but in recent years I have participated in rings, rays, and/or spirals and haven't gotten many of the books I bought or have on hand at home read.

With all the bookrings I take part in, not to mention the library books that I keep ordering, my TBR pile keeps growing and growing.

So, I'd like to try and read 20 books from Mt. TBR during the next quarter. It won't put much of a dent in it, but it'll be a start, eh?

And, it'll certainly be fun trying :)

For this SIY, I'm going to set my goal at 13 books:

4 from my TBR pile
5 from my Want-To-Read list
and 4 others.

Just a question - Are we letting the pilcrows stay on our updates even after our book progress has been entered? We used to take those away after our stats were put in.

Just a question - Are we letting the pilcrows stay on our updates even after our book progress has been entered? We used to take those away after our stats were put in.

Yes. Please leave it in place even after the progress page has been updated. Thank you!

Or are we going to use it only for posts which update the stats, as opposed to comments on other people's posts, etc.? I shall undoubtedly be joining you, btw, but I need to reconsider what challenge to set myself, as I have a feeling I have failed miserably this time round.

Or are we going to use it only for posts which update the stats, as opposed to comments on other people's posts, etc.?

See rule number 4 in Nu-Knees's post:

4. Do not use a pilcrow if your post does not contain information to be included in your section of the progress page

I think the rules are quite clear and since Nu-Knees has gone to the trouble of setting them out clearly, please everyone read them :)

To make a distinction between progress reports and general comments, drawing Ibis3's attention to the posts that need action
Or are we going to use it only for posts which update the stats, as opposed to comments on other people's posts, etc.?

Yes, that's the distinction

Post deleted

I'm in again with the same goal as last time - 12 TBRs. Even though I finished SIY12 early, I'm sticking with the same number of books since there are a few long ones that I'd like to tackle.

And as in SIY12, for my purposes TBRs will include both registered and unregistered books in my possession, titles from my TBR "list", library holds, and titles that I've "always meant to read". I believe I still also have one bookring to expect and that would also count.

Thanks Nu-Knees for starting up the new session!

Thanks Nu-Knees for starting up the new session!

Thank you, it's a pleasure - and thank you for your supportive comment re the Rules!

I've come back from a shopping trip to find a very encouraging number of BookCrossers joining SIY #13. Good to see you all :-)

Welcome to some familiar screen names from SIY#12: bluenoser, Neige49, bookguide and mrsgaskell
And Welcome to two new challengers: NMReader and Caroley

I'm still working out my goals. My challenge will be somewhat dependent on how far I actually make it in this one.

Welcome back, Ibis3! It wouldn't be the same without you!

Each month I'll read one classic and one non-fiction for the Challenge. I'm going to read books registered by other BookCrossers in the order in which I received them, with thanks to the generous givers! I prefer to define my classics as pre-1900 but in practice have been using pre-WW1 to allow turn-of-the-century novels/authors. As an exception and for this quarter only, I'm bendng my rules to include a book published in 1930. My challenge, my rules, my exception .... (LOL!)

Classics
July: The Prime Minister by Anthony Trollope, the fifth of his Palliser novels, from bluenoser, December 2008
August: The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, from miketroll, April 2010
September (the exception): Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh, from York Meet Up, May 2010

Non-fictions
July: Catherine the Great by Virginia Rounding, from York Meet Up, August 2009
August: The Mermaid Tree by Robert Tiley, from Geileis, December 2009
September: Are You Somebody? The Life and Times of Nuala O'Faolain by Nuala O'Faolain, from Chester mini-Meet, May 2010

I've anxiously been waiting for this post to start :-)

I'll stick to my usually 10 books for this quarter. The books will be:

4 1001 books
* One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
* Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford
* Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
* Summer by Edith Wharton

2 True Crime
* Buried in Silence by Connie Sampson
* Bundy: The Deliberate Stranger by Richard W. Larsen

3 New Authors
* Church of the Dead Girls by Stephen Dobyns
* Wake by Beth Goldner
* 24 Hours by Greg Isles

1 Other
* The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

I've anxiously been waiting for this post to start :-)

Yes, my apologies for lateness. What a tardy host! Woe is me....
Anyway, Welcome Back, Heaven150 :-)

Increasing the goal to 30 books this quarter

10 Wishlist books
10 registered prior to 2010
10 Other

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do as the challenge this time so I'll post again for that.

16 books:
• 3 CanLit Challenge books (Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood*; Wild Animals I Have Known by Ernest Thompson Seton; The Man From Glengarry by Ralph Connor)
• 2 TBRs from other BookCrossers (The Garden Party & Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield*; To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis)
• 2 classics (Scienza Nuova (New Science) by Giambattista Vico; The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens)
• 2 Shakespeare plays (Double Falsehood by William Shakespeare; Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare)
• 4 others (P is for Peril by Sue Grafton; A Pinch of Snuff by Reginald Hill; The Armageddon Factor by Marci McDonald; If On A Winter's Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino)
• 3 Audiobooks (H.M.S. Surprise by Patrick O'Brian; The Vile Village by Lemony Snickett; TBA)

*I'm guessing I won't get to either of these books for SIY12.

As you can see, I've lowered my expectations. I may have time left over (or in between) to get some other books done (that 1st part of Aristotle maybe?), but I'm going to keep my actual Challenge limited to a reasonable number that I'm pretty sure I can manage. It's disappointing never to finish. :)

Thank you Nu-Knees for hosting this reading challenge!! Thank you Ibis3 as well for doing an excellent job of updating the progress page--- You do a great job of keeping track of everything we read.

MY TBR PILE IS WAY OUT OF CONTROL!! My ultimate goal is to see if I read 20 books next quarter... I've read 16 books as of 6/17/2010, so perhaps I can reach 20 books.

So, 5 of the 20 books will be for the 2012 Olympic Reading Challenge as I am behind with that reading challenge.

1) The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (France)
2) Nomad's Hotel by Cees Nooteboom (The Netherlands)
3) Remembering the Bones by Frances Itani (Canada)
4) My Children! My Africa! by Athol Fugard (South Africa)
5) Queen of the South by Arturo Perez-Reverte (Spain)

The remaining 15 books have yet to be determined. I frequently change my mind on what I'll read after I finish reading a book, so like to keep my options open. :)

I seem to be very motivated to read from my MT TBR for this challenge. So I'm going to increase my goal this time and see what I can do.

Books to read from MT TBR = 35
Books for Bookclub = 2
Total books to read for SIY #13 = 37

Welcome back to four more familiar Screen Names: nancynova, gypsysmom, FeistyPom2Love and lane1088

At the request of Ibis3 I'm adding another point (new #3) to our Rules for Reporting our Progress:

Please keep an eye out for any replies she has to pilcrowed posts in case she has a question or finds a discrepancy. Responses or clarifications should be made in the thread (rather than via PM).

Ok, I've decided to be a bit less vague than just 20 books.

6 from The Big Read list

6 from the 1001 list

6 registered by other Bookcrossers

2 others of my choice

All are to be from Mt. TBR. Bookrings/library books/borrowed books do not count.

I have made an actual list of the titles in a nice Excel worksheet, but I won't list them here as I'm giving myself a bit of 'wiggle room' LOL
That should make sure that I do clear out some books that have been sitting on my shelves for a while, rather than shiny new ones that have just arrived, though.

I'm going to do 16 books again for this challenge although with holidays planned for the last 2 weeks of August and the first 2 weeks of September I'm hoping to do more. But these are the books I really should read in this quarter so I'm going to put them in for this challenge and that way I'll probably get to them for sure:

Two book club choices - Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon for work and an as yet to be decided book for the library book club
Three books for the new John Mutford challenge - The Prairie Bridesmaid by Daria Salamon, The Intelligence of Dogs by Stanley Coren and Fishing with John by Edith Iglauer
Six books from other Bookcrossers - Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones, River in a Dry Land by Trevor Herriot, Leaning, leaning over Water by Frances Itani, The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean, Set in Darkness by Ian Rankin and for one more day by Mitch Albom
Three 1001 Books - Shirley by Charlotte Bronte, Neuromancer by William Gibson and Adam Bede by George Eliot
Two Nevada Barr books - Deep South and Hunting Season

Six books works well for me. This time, I'll choose 6 TBRS registered by a bookcrosser OTHER than me.

1. The Birth House by Ami McKay
2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
3. On Beauty by Zadie Smith
4. Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith
5. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
6. The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway

Thanks to Nu-Knees and to Ibis3 for maintaining the progress chart! :o)

Welcome back, CynthiaA :-)

I'm going to keep my challenge the same.

Read 10 books registered by other BookCrossers.

This challenge works well for me, and keeps me bumping up to the tops of the piles books from other Bcers that I've had for a while. Except all the generous BCers keep sending me wonderful RABCKs and that causes the piles to stay the same size... (lol)

Except all the generous BCers keep sending me wonderful RABCKs and that causes the piles to stay the same size... (lol)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

and would love to do it again.

3 books from my library reading list...
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by D. Wroblewski (fiction)
Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell (fiction)
Tell Me Where it Hurts by Nick Trout (nonfiction)

3 books from other BCers
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
Thumbsucker by Walter Kirn
An Arsonists Guide to Writers' Homes in New England by Clarke(all from the Bizarre Book Box)

3 books from my TBR pile (that I've purchased and plan to give away)
Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (a classic)
Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne (a classic)
Mistress of the Game by Tilly Bagwhatsis (writing in the style of Sidney Sheldon)

and the next Tres Navarre mystery--a total of 10 books for this one

Yay! Was just pondering what to do for my challenge. I'm going to keep it mostly the same, but just add in an extra rule: read more bookcrossed books. (A pathetic 3 read this quarter, out of 20-so-far.)

So: I will read 25 books this quarter, any genre (chapter books read to the kids count; picture books do not; graphic novels do). And *AT LEAST TEN OF THEM* will be bookcrossed (previously, not by me after finishing the challenge).

And ALL of these books will be already on my bookshelf (the corollary of which is: I'm not buying any books - new or secondhand - this quarter).

I'm not buying any books - new or secondhand - this quarter.

Sounds good! Perhaps you'll report back at the end of it.... :-)

Perhaps at the end of it, I'll go on the biggest book buying splurge the world has ever seen. I'm already making lists of "books to buy in September". :)

Luckily I already have all my bookgroup books for the next few months, and I might allow new library books into the house so I don't go completely cold turkey. (Hello, my name is tqd, and I have a book acquisition problem.)

I'm looking forward to reading some of the bookcrossed books on my shelves. I think if I don't get around to reading them in a quarter where I'm planning on reading a lot of BC'ed books, then maybe I should just take a deep breath and let them go. I'll get other chances to read them.

Good to see MaryZee, minesayn and tqd joining in while I was asleep :-)

I will increase the number of books this time because i have more time on my hands now.

10 books from BBC's The Big Read "Top 200"
5 books from Reduce Mount TBR Challenge 2010
5 other TBRs

All in all 20 books. This will be fun as always :)

I will increase the number of books this time because i have more time on my hands now.

Welcome back, sshahid! Good to see you'll be using your extra time to read more books. I like your priorities!

Hehe! I have nothing else to do :)

Thank you for the new very thorough rules and SIY#13. I read the new rules carefully.

My goal is to read 3 vocational books. I'll propably keep the number of books so low,even though I have planned other reading for the rest of the summer too. But I'd rather not put those books in this challenge, let's see if I'll get them read easier without a deadline.

Welcome back, Nauris
Your post takes the number of Challengers for SIY#13 to 21
I'm still hoping that more will join us

A simple challenge. I bought 17 second hand books last weekend at our cathedral charity summer book sale (well, it IS only once a year and the quality and range of books is always outstanding).

I must therefore reduce Mt TBR by 17 books, all of which must be BC'd onwards. So if I like one so much it's a keeper, I'll have to read 18! I hope that still counts as a reading challenge, not a releasing one.

Welcome back, blackwidow1971
And then there were 22 ....

I must therefore reduce Mt TBR by 17 books, all of which must be BC'd onwards. So if I like one so much it's a keeper, I'll have to read 18! I hope that still counts as a reading challenge, not a releasing one.

Yep, that's okay with me. I presume you'll just be reporting as completed ones that aren't going into your PC. Just remember to let me know to remove a Current Book as soon as you know it's PC-destined.

ETA: Oh, and as long as it counts as Completed when you've finished reading, not when you've released it.

I know already this challenge will be different as I am travelling for most of September overseas without access to computers. So, I have decided to read 4 books in the first two months for this challenge. They can be any of my Mt tbr - hopefully a little lighter than last challenge, in length and in density! LOL. I am taking two books with me in my travels but since I won't be able to post my updates I won't include them in my SIY challenge!

So to summarise - 4 books to read from MT TBR in July and August.

Thanks Ibis3 and Nu-Knees.

P.S. Travelling to Paris and around France and Barcelona, Spain for three weeks in September! Very excited, can't wait!

Welcome back, Geileis!
P.S. Travelling to Paris and around France and Barcelona, Spain for three weeks in September! Very excited, can't wait!

Sounds fantastic! Have a great time! Shame you're not making it over to the UK....

Pheww! Nice, enjoy yourself!

I've failed the last couple of SIYs I tried -- but think I've found a way to succeed:

I will read nine (9) books that I acquired in 2010.

You see, I *plan* to read the first four volumes in Erin Hunter's *Seekers* series and three books by Holling Clancy Holling that I brought home for the summer from my school library. However, there's a chance I won't enjoy the first title in one or both of these groups (it's happened in previous SIYs), so I'm leaving myself an option to choose other books just in case.

Hope that's OK -- looking forward to next Thursday and the SIY #13 starting date!

Hope that's OK

Welcome, Megi53! Any Challenge you want to Set Yourself is quite OK by the rest of us! Enjoy!

Welcome, Megi53! Any Challenge you want to Set Yourself is quite OK by the rest of us! Enjoy!

Great! Here's my official challenge, then:

Read *Seekers: The Quest Begins* by Erin Hunter

Read *Paddle-to-the-Sea* by Holling Clancy Holling

Read seven (7) other books that came into my house for the first time after Jan. 1, 2010, no matter whether I got them as a RABCK, one of my kids bought them, or I checked them out from a library.

Megi53 8 yrs ago
¶ Mehhhhh
Although I possibly did read more than nine "books" that came into my possession after Jan. 1, 2010, they were mostly froth and fluff and I didn't keep good records of them. (I vaguely recall a 45+ page mini-gift type book about adopting a pet rock.) Reading *Eclipse* is lowbrow enough, and I've now abandoned it about 60 pages in (as soon as Victoria made an appearance -- can't stand her) so that I can finish a Heartsong romance instead.

The point of all this rambling is that I won't finish SIY #13!

An additional comment, trying to clarify my position:
I have no problem with anyone's challenge including an allowance for alternatives and possibilities, set up and declared in advance, but I think, as a general rule, it should probably be fixed as at 1 July 2010 or, for challengers joining later, its inclusion on the progress page.

An additional comment, trying to clarify my position:
I have no problem with anyone's challenge including an allowance for alternatives and possibilities, set up and declared in advance, but I think, as a general rule, it should probably be fixed as at 1 July 2010 or, for challengers joining later, its inclusion on the progress page.

Do you see a problem with "swapping out"? For example if someone says 3 TBRs and specifies by July 1st that their 3 books will be Ulysses, Les Misérables, and Moby Dick, but then finds their copy of Ulysses eaten by the dog or completely unintelligible when they go to read in August, can they switch out Ulysses for The Faerie Queene, another TBR?

Do you see a problem with "swapping out"? For example if someone says 3 TBRs and specifies by July 1st that their 3 books will be Ulysses, Les Misérables, and Moby Dick, but then finds their copy of Ulysses eaten by the dog or completely unintelligible when they go to read in August, can they switch out Ulysses for The Faerie Queene, another TBR?

We always have to allow for exceptions, for the strange and the unusual, but I would hope that the aim would be to stick with what's declared, that swaps would not be made lightly and then only infrequently. I think I was just trying to encourage Challengers to take their Challenges seriously - but we all do that anyway and I should have just kept my mouth shut! Sorry!

Nah ... they should go out and get another copy of *Ulysses* from the library or bookstore. (::evil grin from the one who helped cause this speculation::)

Don't be sorry, Nu-Knees; you're right to make the rules so precise. That's one of the big reasons I like this challenge (the other being Ibis's beautiful progress pages).

I usually avoid challenges, but how can I resist the lovely progress pages Ibis creates!

A question, though: why are some titles live links and some not?

Welcome, zz-neena, good to have you with us!
I usually avoid challenges, but how can I resist the lovely progress pages Ibis creates!

Yes, they are rather beautiful, aren't they? We're very lucky to have them :-)

Pass...

Some people give me links to their journal entries and others don't. :)

My goal is small and simple: among my other reading (books I select as the whim strikes), I'd like to re-read a minimum of two classics from this list ....

East of Eden
Gone With the Wind
Little Women
War and Peace

My goal is small and simple: among my other reading (books I select as the whim strikes), I'd like to re-read a minimum of two classics from this list ....
East of Eden
Gone With the Wind
Little Women
War and Peace

Oh, that's a good list. I do like to see one where I've already read all the books on it!

Gone with the wind is one of my all time favorites! War and Peace was one of my all time non favorites..err :P

It is one of my favorite novels I've ever read!

1) Reduce Mount TBR by 8 books.
2) Read 2 books on Drama.
3) Read 5 books on the 1001 list.

Thank you very much to Nu-Knees for the flawless organisation, and to Ibis3 for the hours of time & effort :)

Welcome back, Miss-Owl. With your post, we now have one more Challenger than we did for SIY#12 :-) Can we top the 29 of SIY#11?
We come from a wide range of continents: America, Asia, Australia and Europe
Thank you for your encouraging and appreciative comment - and Thank you also to Megi53 for hers!

Since I made a new years resolution to read one BC-book per month I think it would be a good reminder for me to add them to my challenge. I haven't decided yet which books they are so I'll just add "3 BC-books".

Apparently my bandwidth limit was reached in the past few hours & my web host person isn't available to find out if I can up the limit. I imagine that, at worst, I'll have to wait until tomorrow midnight when the odometer will be set back to zero. I'll let you know if I have more info. Sorry for any inconvenience.

ETA: I got in touch with my tech and she's looking into it.

Good Luck wishes for a successful outcome! And thanks!

Ibis3 9 yrs ago
Site back up

That's good news
Just in time for the start of SIY#13
Happy reading, all!

So many books at home waiting to be read and set free

Not long to wait now ... it's just past noon in the UK so less than 12 hours until tomorrow!

I'm hoping to get through about 10 books a month in order to meet my SIY#123 challenge of 30 TBR books over the quarter. I'm also joining in Plum-Crazy's theme challenge, which this period is 'numbers in the title or author's name'. This theme challenge changes every 4 weeks which jumbles it up a bit with the SIY one - but I'm sure it will all work out in the end.
Good luck everyone and happy summer reading.

Good luck everyone and happy summer reading.

My sentiments exactly :-)

now that I know exactly what books I have left to read on my shelf.

My 3 CanLit Challenge books will be:
In the Village of Viger by Duncan Campbell Scott; Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood; Wild Animals I Have Known by Ernest Thompson Seton

My 2 Shakespeare plays will be:
Double Falsehood and All's Well That Ends Well

I leaving my final audiobook selection open.

I've just been admiring the beautiful new Progress Page, thank you very much
I love those sandy feet - ideal for a Summer Reading Challenge :-)

I've just been admiring the beautiful new Progress Page, thank you very much
I love those sandy feet - ideal for a Summer Reading Challenge :-)

And I figured our Antipodean colleagues can imagine a wintertime vacation. :)

ETA: After I uploaded it, I thought of a nice change to add but didn't have time. So expect another surprise when I can get it done.

And I figured our Antipodean colleagues can imagine a wintertime vacation. :)

Oooops! Please accept my apologies Down Under!
ETA: After I uploaded it, I thought of a nice change to add but didn't have time. So expect another surprise when I can get it done.

Intriguing :-)

Check it out.

That's a nice addition, thanks Ibis3 ! :)

Check it out.

Oh, that is very special, thank you. Fantastic!
And what an enthusiastic lot we are :-) I'm impressed that there's only one without a personal pic, although the Forums generally have lots of defaults!

Finished (other TBR): The Taking by Dean Koontz

I love this challenge!!

I know it's already July 2nd, but can I still get in on the fun? If so, here are my goals (I'm really busy with a new job right now, so I am not going to overload myself this round. Maybe next time!):

11 books:
~Annie On My Mind by Nancy Garden
~Property Of by Alice Hoffman
~1 other Alice Hoffman novel
~2 non-fiction books
~1 Sookie Stackhouse novel
~1 book that is 200+ pages
~1 memoir
~1 mental health-related book
~2 misc. fiction

I know it's already July 2nd, but can I still get in on the fun?

Oh yes, we're still open and delighted to welcome new Challengers. In fact, we never say No to anyone who wants to join the fun!
Welcome, kawaiikitty78, both to SIY#13 and to BookCrossing!

Finished - Shout at the devil by Wilbur Smith (from other BCer)
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5050128/

Just started The Children's book by A S Byatt (1001 list)

This is great fun - I'm enjoying it already :-D

I haven't had a chance to really think about the challenge (since I'm joining in a tad late!), so I'll just say my goals are:

- read 10 books from my TBR pile
- and read 2 extra books from the 1001 book list

I shouldn't have much trouble with that!
=]

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.