ATTENTION Book of the Month Club Members!! "Possession" by A.S. Byatt - COMING UP IN OCTOBER - New members welcome

Forum » Book Talk | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Every month we read a different book and have discussions based on it. Anyone can participate and let us know what they think of the book as we read it. If you have already read it, you can still let us know your opinions on the book.

The book for October is "Possession" by A.S. Byatt and i will make a separate thread for it on the 1st of Oct. See you there :)

*NOTE*
Please let us know your book choices for your month here. In case one of you does not respond and it is their turn to choose a book next, we will move on to the next member and read his/her chosen book instead. When we run out of books we will nominate and then vote for the books we want to read next (there is an active thread for nominating December's book. Please check it out).

New members are welcome!

(APRIL) abigailann: "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" by Douglas Adams

(MAY) denny08: "Bless Me, Ultima" by Rudolfo Anaya

(JUNE) dutch-book: "The secret life of bees" by Sue Monk Kidd

(JULY) FeistyPom2Love: "March" by Geraldine Brooks

(AUGUST) katrinat: "The Robber Bride" by Margaret Atwood

(SEPTEMBER) nediamnori87: "The Hippopotamus" by Stephen Fry

(OCTOBER) sshahid: "Possession" by A.S. Byatt

(NOVEMBER) Totje2: "Waiting" by Ha Jin

lucy-lemon: Not Decided (ND)
nauris: ND
skydisco3: ND
300dogs: ND
Dancesports: ND
antbelmom: ND
AwesomAud: ND
JenKazoo: ND

I'm finding it very heard to get hold og this book. All the members I could find in search were in the US, so I looked in the library and Waterstones. Waterstones said that they could only find an American edition and it could take about a month to arrive if they ordered it for me.
So, unless one suddenly appears in the post, I'm afraid I'm probably going to have to miss this one.

I've found it on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/---/ref=olp_tab_all?... hope that helps!

Thanks for the thought, but I don't like buying 2nd hand online

I've ordered a copy so when I've finished I can send it to you if you're having problems still.

I just may take you up on that offer. Thanks

I really have to say this..bookcrossers are the kindest, most generous people i have ever known! :)

Just read about the Book of The Month Club. Great idea. I'd like to take part in August for March since I already have a copy of my TBR shelf. Woo-hoo!

she's a great author so hopefully this'll be good

I have a book by that author but havent got around to reading it. The robber bride sounds interesting.

I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to join your group permanently.

if you just want to read our choices. Just keep an eye on the site and make sure you have the book to read when you want to join in

That's the problem. I saw that this month's book was Hitchhiker's Guide so I joined the thread. However, I'm not really interested in the other books.... (blush) in retrospect, I shouldn't have joined if I wasn't going to commit to the whole thing. Very sorry.

So, if later down the line, you see something you would like to read, then join us. And if I see something that I have no interest in, I will skip that month.

Read a book when you want to or don't read a book for whatever the reason!

but the book I chose for my month, will be.......
The secret life of bees by Sue Monk Kidd

May I offer a suggestion that instead of one person choosing the book for a month, that perhaps you get a few nominations and have all the members voting on the book they want to read? This would get you more participation, because by majority, more people would want to read the book chosen. How about it? =)

this is how the historical bookclub works.

Since we've already started, I suggest that we carry on the way we are for a little while. But maybe we could take nominations for after we've been through each member if people would rather do it that way.

loads of projects and assignments! :( But i'll definitely keep dropping in and check to see if the website needs to be updated.

I have read the April book and I have three out of four of the other books that have already been chosen - so I think fate is calling me here:-)

Let us know if you want to choose a book, or you can just read along

> Let us know if you want to choose a book,
> or you can just read along

Happy to choose a book, a bit closer to my turn

should we add the newcomers alphabetically or at the bottom of the list? Because then it's Dancesports turn in May and denny08 has already decided the book for May.

otherwise it's a little soon to be choosing a book. Maybe other newcomers should be added to the end as well. What do other people think?

Yes i agree.

> otherwise it's a little soon to be
> choosing a book. Maybe other newcomers
> should be added to the end as well. What
> do other people think?

I agree too, its a bit too soon for me to choose.

I'd like to put my book choice as The Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry. So far I have found his books very entertaining so I hope he'll hold up his end of the bargain!

Ooooh, looking forward to this!
Have read Stephen Fry's autobiography but not gotten round to this books

And I also have a qustion: since EdWagemann did not (yet) enter his choice or even posted on this forum since he started this book-of-the-month-club, what happends with the 'empty' month? Will the books be moved forward?

Yes, I would suggest that we go onto the next book on the list

I thought the robber bride was before the secret life of bees :) Will have to make another visit soon which i am looking forward to very much!

I will be participating this month. Just need to pick up a copy from the bookstore.

Yes, I will. I look forward to this read!

sshahid 9 yrs ago
*bump*
Bump bump!

I still have not finished "Blress me, Ultima". And June has already started... I tried, really, but it seems I do not have enough time to read the rings that come along and also the read of the month. I have a serious backlog, so it seems.
But, despite that I like this idea and will read on the books listed. Even though I might arrive with a later train. I just won't read the thread with the spoilers :-)

haha no need to blush Totje2! We all have other commitments :)

FeistyPom2Love chose "March" by Geraldine Brooks for July.

Will have to search the bookshop for this one.

Btw i have chosen "Possession" by A.S. Byatt for my turn.

Okay, then I better get my act together and start reading this book!! I thought it was coming up later in the year.... Do you need links or what, sshahid?

Well, you would have to make a separate thread for the book like last month. Maybe include a wikipedia or other link in it. Btw i have already included wiki and other reader guide links for March on the website mentioned at the beginning.

Yes your selection came up early because people between you and dutch-book haven't decided their book yet :)

I forgot to sound the alarm before! Somebody has to take my place as i have no time to keep track of any threads any more :(

I will be reading the book for August which is "The Robber Bride" by Margaret Atwood and will comment as the month progresses.

I haven.t been participating in the group reads as i haven.t got easy access to the internet at the moment. What do i need to do for this? Lead the discussion? I will need to get the book read. Sorry to be a pain

Oh hey don't worry :) There hasn't been a lot of interest in this..maybe if someone could take over for you, and me!!..but if you can then i guess you have to make a new thread and post there about every chapter like in the previous months..

Just read the book during this month and post in a unique thread about what you're reading. You can do it by chapter, or a group of chapters if you won't be able to post regularly. You can start the thread before you start reading if you want, then anyone else reading it can post.

I'm sorry I've not been taking part recently- it's just been too hard with not having the 'mark all posts read' function. I won't be able to join in this month, as I don't yet have the book, but I hope to get next month's book and join in then

yup, abigailann said it all..
I found the book last month i think and bought it..I'll try my best to finish the book this month

katrinat 9 yrs ago
I'm done
I've finished the thread for The Robber Bride, I really enjoyed the book and hope others manage to find the time to read it - really hard in the summer plus with all of our other reading and life commitments.
I've ordered the next book from the library so hopefully will have it in time

sshahid 9 yrs ago
RE: I'm done
Thank you for making the thread :)

I started the book a few days back..will report in your thread.

That way more people can get hold of the book before the next month starts..So,

"The Hippopotamus" by Stephen Fry - COMING UP IN SEPTEMBER

and nediamnori87 will start the thread for that one.

I've bought 'The Hippopotamus' by Stephen Fry yesterday, so I'll definately be reading it next month. I hope I'll find a chance to join in the discussions as I read.

What are we going to do after October by the way? There seems to be only 2 books left on the 'to be discussed' pile! Should we ask for nominations and then have a vote? Or should be ask those who are 'members' and willing to choose a book to make a 2nd choice?

I emailed all the members who have not decided their books yet but no response from anyone yet. I like the idea of having nominations and voting.

We'd have to start nominations relatively soon wouldn't we (if we were going to do this). Maybe you could start taking nominations for after we run out of books from members who've not yet had their turn.

But that's the problem. None of the people who have not had their turn yet are responding. I'll set up a separate thread to take nominations btw.

it arrived at the library yesterday so i.ll be able to read a long on time.

sshahid 9 yrs ago
*bump*

bump

no Hippopotamus there so won't be participating this month.

"Waiting" by Ha Jin. It's a book that has been on my 'to-read'- shelf for a while and I'd like to read it finally.
Hope this book is fine for all participants?

I guess it'll be either November or December?

Yes it will be November. The book chosen through the nominations thread i made will be for December then if no one else chooses their book.

I read this one a month or two back and i liked it. Will be happy to re-read it along with you guys.

Who will be joining me for October?

Who will be joining me for October?

You will have a great time with this book!

I think so too. I've heard good comments about it from everyone.

sshahid 8 yrs ago
*bump*

katrinat 8 yrs ago
possession
this is one of my favourites. I'm unlikely, however, to be joining you as i.m bogged under with big books, plans and work in october (exam prep hell). I hope to join in again in november.

Good luck with your exams!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.