SIY #12, The Set It Yourself Reading Challenge continues, April to June 2010

Forum » Book Talk | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
I hereby announce that The Set It Yourself (SIY) Reading Challenge will be continuing into its Twelfth Quarter, April to June 2010.

Unlikely as it might seem, we're racing through 2010, it's March already and time to start thinking of SIY #12. I'd like to invite Challengers old and new to join us on the next step of our adventure.

It's quite a simple idea that's given a lot of pleasure to a lot of BookCrossers through 11 previous challenges. You decide your reading goals for the next three months, declare them here, drop in from time to time to tell us how you're doing, and keep on reading until you reach your goals or we run out of time, whichever comes first. If, by midnight on 30 June 2010, you've read what you said you would, you've succeeded. If you haven't, then you haven't! It's between you and your conscience, with the rest of us here to encourage you to stay on track.

There are a couple of rules to be aware of. We're a reading challenge here in the Book Talk Forum where we belong. While in the past challengers have sometimes mentioned what they plan to do with their books when they've read them, it can't be included as part of the challenge.

NOTE: We're very grateful to Ibis3 for all the time and effort she puts into recording our progress. It's important that we show our gratitude by not making her task any harder than it need be. Please mark every progress report with a ¶ (alt 0182 or alt 788 or copy and paste an earlier one) and edit your post to remove the ¶ when Ibis3 posts that she's updated the progress page. Please do not edit your posts for any other reason, always writing a new post if you have something else to report. Please also remember to remove the ¶ when replying to other people's posts.

Ibis3 has produced another beautiful Progress Page for us. Thank you so much!
http://www.readerofthestack.com/siy-challenge.html

Good Luck, everyone! Enjoy your reading!

As Challengers old and new declare themselves, I'll add their names here - just every few days to start with, then individually if people continue to join in after we've started!

25 Challengers on 28 April

blackwidow1971
bluenoser
bookguide
Chania
CynthiaA
FeistyPom2Love
Geileis
gypsysmom
Heaven150
Ibis3
janey-canuck
lane1088
Mary-Zee
minesayn
Miss-Owl
mrsgaskell
nancynova
Nauris
Neige49
Neuilly
NICNIC2
nicolesinger
Nu-Knees
sshahid
tqd

Welcome back to mrsgaskell, gypsysmom and sshahid taking us up to 16 challengers!

We're now up to 21 taking part in SIY #12
Welcome one and all :-)

Welcome!
We seem to be slowing down now, only one addition in over a week!
Edited because I made a typing-mess of lane's number - Sorry!

Well, I'm going to tackle Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy again. But I'm also starting The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji.

So while I'm trying to learn how to walk normally again, I'll be spending my time reading "River God" by Wilbur Smith. Why I chose such a mammoth of a book I'll never know! It's 652 pages, which for me is really like reading two books in one. I'm also hoping to take some classes at the local college but that shouldn't be for another two months.

I'm thinking I may start "The Kitchen God's Wife" by Amy Tan for when I want something a little less dense. Anyone read it and can give a general thumbs up or down?

> So while I'm trying to learn how to walk
> normally again

Please accept my Very Best Healing Wishes. You have my full sympathy with that goal!

> I'm thinking I may start "The Kitchen
> God's Wife" by Amy Tan for when I want
> something a little less dense. Anyone read
> it and can give a general thumbs up or
> down?
I read it quite a while ago: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/1906737
and liked it.

Good luck with the healing process. At least it gives you time to read. I liked that part about the three (thankfully minor) operations that I have had.

I'm still going to try for 16 books, like last time. So who knows if I'll make it this time either.

Four books for book club reads:
The Boys in the Trees by Mary Swan
The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
Come, thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant

Six books for John Mutford's Challenge:
The Bird Artist by Howard Norman
Foul Deeds by Linda Moore
Darkness at the Stroke of Noon by Dennis Richard Murphy
Heartbreaker by Laurence Gough
A Tangled Web by L. M. Montgomery
and one more, to be decided

Two Rebus Books:
Black and Blue
Dead Souls

Two books from friends:
The Known World by Edward P. Jones
The Golden Mean by Annabel Lyon

Two gift books:
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
The Complaints by Ian Rankin

I have finished one book for this challenge already!
The Bird Artist http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7626148

Next up: The Boys in the Trees

> > I'm thinking I may start "The
> Kitchen > God's Wife" by Amy Tan for
> when I want > something a little
> less dense. Anyone read > it and can
> give a general thumbs up or > down?
> I read it quite a while ago:
> http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/1906737
> and liked it. Good luck with the healing
> process. At least it gives you time to
> read. I liked that part about the three
> (thankfully minor) operations that I have
> had.

Oh good, I'll definitely have to read it then!

And thanks for the good wishes everyone. I seem to be healing fairly rapidly. They were impressed when I went in to get my stitches out so....woo!

I've read and enjoyed A Woman's Life by Guy de Maupassant
It's an interesting read, very well written (albeit in translation), but somehow I found her life strangely passive, even by the standards of the day

Neuilly 9 yrs ago
SO behind...
I don't think there's even a slight change of me meeting my goal, but hey, I'm going to keep trying! In river god I'm on page 346 out of 654. Halfway mark hit! Woo!

For the next Quarter I'm repeating my recent pattern: one Classic (defined as pre-WW1 and preferably pre-1900) and one non-fiction per month. My reading of modern novels/general fiction doesn't count as part of my Challenge.

Classics:
Looking through my TBR Classics I found four that were BC-registered, very kindly passed to me by bluenoser, thank you very much, so I'm giving them priority, starting with these three
April: A Woman's Life by Guy de Maupassant
May: Phineas Redux by Anthony Trollope, the fourth of his Palliser novels
June: Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Non-fiction:
Again, I'm giving priority to two books registered by other BookCrossers, thank you very much, bookwormkt and the OBCZ shelf in Cafe Zen, Burton-on-Trent/house-elfdobby, and one which I registered myself before reading it, something I don't make a habit of
April: The Deafening Sound of Silent Tears by Juliet Barker, the story of Caring for Life, a local charity
May: Seeking Rapture by Kathryn Harrison, author autobiography
June: The Brother Gardeners by Andrea Wulf, subtitled: Botany, Empire and the Birth of an Obsession

Thanks in advance to Nu-Knees and Ibis3 and I hope MrsGaskell comes visiting soon!

I am thinking of dividing my reading up into parts this time so will read:

2 of Joseph Conrad books for Conrad reading challenge as well (TBD)
2 Booker Prize shortlisted or winners (TBD)
1 Other book probably fiction (TBD)
1 Non-fiction book (TBD)

May add more books later in the challenge if I have time!

Welcome, Geileis, as the first Challenger to join me in declaring a Challenge :-) Good to have you back with us for another round!

> Welcome, Geileis, as the first Challenger
> to join me in declaring a Challenge: -)
> Good to have you back with us for another
> round!

Thanks, still blissfully un-stressed (? - new word?) about joining in another challenge, this will be my fifth anniversary challenge!

> and I hope MrsGaskell comes visiting soon!

Yes, it would be good to see her

I'm back :)

> I hope MrsGaskell comes visiting soon!

Hi Geileis! Surgery followed by chemo gave a whole new meaning to the word "tired" - I went 8 days without reading, a record I'm sure. Anyway, I am feeling much much better and glad to be back on the forums today. I'm reading The Law and the Lady now and gripping it is!

> Hi Geileis! Surgery followed by chemo gave
> a whole new meaning to the word "tired"- I
> went 8 days without reading, a record I'm
> sure. Anyway, I am feeling much much
> better and glad to be back on the forums
> today. I'm reading The Law and the Lady
> now and gripping it is!

Nice to hear from you, 8 days without reading :-(
How? Were you sleeping? drugged? or ....ohhhh "tired" - glad you found The Law and the Lady, did you read "An infamous army" or another Heyer? Hope you find your goals soon and continue reading even if only a little a day "keeps the doctor away" - no wrong quote, finding the right quote ? "A library is a hospital for the mind" Anonymous,

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted;
nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed,
and some few to be chewed and digested:
that is, some books are to be read only in parts,
others to be read, but not curiously, and some few
to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention."
~ Francis Bacon ~

I seem to be back to reading at my normal pace :)

I still haven't decided on my goals, though - I want it to be challenging but not overwhelming. It is fun thinking about it though!

I didn't read any more Heyers but Faro's Daughter is in the TBR pile, and Venetia is on my library request list. Books seem to be pouring in faster than I can read them, but that's okay....

For the first several quarters I participated, my goal was 10 books from my TBR pile. Sometimes I made it, and sometimes I didn't. For the past quarter, I cut back to 6 TBRs but added 6 books on my "I want to read that" list. (I added in the 'want list' books because they were the main thing distracting me from the TBR books and I thought it would be easier to incorporate what I was already reading into my challenge than to resist the siren call of the library.)

This quarter's challenge was easy to meet, but I can't help a sneaky feeling that I've let myself off the hook too easily. On the other hand, the challenge is for fun, so an enjoyable goal is reasonable. On the third hand, reducing TBR feels like a goal, while reading books I've checked out of the library for recreation... not so much, even if they were on a list of things I'd been meaning to read. (On the fourth hand, this is way too many hands - must be the Lovecraftian influence.)

So far, I see several possibilities:
1) Return to the 10 TBRs goal
2) Continue with the 6 TBRs/6 list books
3) Set a goal that's completely different (fiction/nonfiction, category, page length...)
4) Take a hiatus from reading goals

I'll keep thinking on it and see what I come up with.

> On the fourth hand, this is way too many > hands-

:-) Good luck with your decision-making!
I was probably only a teenager, so we're talking about 50 years ago (LOL!), when a TV voice-over in one of those children's dramas that they didn't bother to translate or dub, just turned the sound down and had a boring narrator tell the story, described the dilemma of a lad who'd fallen down a cliff as: On the other hand, his foot was hurting.... which conjured up such a wonderful anatomical picture I still can't hear the phrase without imagining it!

I'm really enjoying this challenge. This will be my third time participating. Last time 10 books worked really well. (I'm almost finished number 10), so I will go with that again.

4 - 1001 Books
* The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
* Humboldt's Gift by Saul Bellow
* The Magus by John Fowles
* The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham

6 - New Authors
* Death of a Red Heroine by Qiu Xiaolong
* The Road to Ruin by Donald F. Westlake
* The Same Stuff as Stars by Katherine Patterson
* The Turning Hour by Shelley Fraser Mickle
* Timb Bomb by Jonathan Kellerman
* One of These Mornings by Betty Bernard

> Death of a Red Heroine by Qiu Xiaolong

I read that several years ago for the A-Z author challenge. It was an excellent mystery but I also thoroughly enjoyed the insight into life in China.

I'm also reading it for an A-Z author challenge. It's the first in a series, have you read any of the others?

I also read A Loyal Character Dancer, but all my notes say was that it was a "good mystery but I didn't enjoy it as much as Death of a Red Heroine".

Nauris 9 yrs ago
Count me in
and thank you for organising this challenge again.

Chania 9 yrs ago
I am in!
I found my last challenge very good, so I want to do the same now. It was 10 older and 10 other books, and it was very good way to get myself to read those books that have been waiting to be read for nearly 3 yrs now. So here it goes:

10 older books (which means books from my tbr-pages 3 and 4, in no particular order)
10 ohter books (including bookrings and such)

ps. Sorry, I had to edit this to put the "thingy" in front of the line.

I hope that is only an accident, as I'd love to join.

> I hope that is only an accident, as I'd
> love to join.

You're on the List of Participants. Welcome!

Did I forget to specify my challenge?

It's 13 books for the A - Z Authors challenge. It was originally going to be A - M, but as I'd already finished A - C by 31st March, I thought that might be cheating....

Currently reading D: "With Your Crooked Heart" by Helen Dunmore.

Can't think of any new challenge I want to set myself, so I'll stick with the tried-and-true (even though it looks like I may not make it this quarter):

25 books, no restrictions, but no picture books read to the kids.

I enjoy this challenge a lot. It helps me sort out who and what I should be bringing up my TBR pile.

Here is my list of books for April to June:

Six books in Total:

1. Vernon God Little, by DBC Pierre. Because it is the book that has languished, unread, on my bookshelf the longest.
2. Letters from Yellowstone, by Diane Smith. As my non-fiction choice, and because I promised to Ray-it-Forward when I accepted it.
3. Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro. Because it is the registered BC book that I've held on my shelf the longest, and it needs to start travelling again.
4. Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen. As my 'classics' choice.
5. Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage, by Alice Munro. As my CanLit choice.
6. Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens. Because sometimes I want to read for the sheer fun of it.

24 hours after I started this Thread, we have eight names. Great to see you all!!

I do better dividing the goal up into "categories", so I don't keep reading the same thing!

Goal – 25 books
2 1001 books
1 Nonfiction
10 books – title starts with the letter ‘A’
7 books registered prior to 2010
5 Other books

Ibis3 9 yrs ago
¶ Count me in
So far my Challenge looks like this, but I'm still working on it & it's subject to change:

3 CanLit Challenge books:
- Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
- In the Village of Viger by Duncan Campbell Scott
- Wild Animals I Have Known by Ernest Thompson Seton

2 Shakespeare plays:
- All’s Well That Ends Well
- Pericles of Tyre

Aristotle's Metaphysics Books I (Alpha) – VII (Zeta)

3 TBRs from other BookCrossers
- The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe
- The Garden Party & Other Stories and Bliss & Other Stories both by Katherine Mansfield

2 Classics
- The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
- 1TBA

4 Audiobooks
- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
- 3 TBA

4 Others
(TBA)

I think I will be hard pressed to finish my goal for #11, so this time I'll try for 4 TBR books and 6 from my Want-to-Read list that I keep in a small notebook. This time I will pick those 6 ahead of time:
1. Beyond Sing the Woods by Trygve Gulbranssen
2. Sauce For the Goose - Peter Devries
3. Faith Under Fire - Roger Benimoff
4. The Memory Palace of Isabella Stewart Gardner - Patricia Vidgerman
5. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
6. The Haunted Observatory - Richard Baum

After deep consideration on how busy 'life' will be for the next three months, with the start of house guest/tourist season, continuation of art and French classes and commitments to various associations, I've decided to try and keep it simple again this quarter but up the ante just a little bit.

THE GOAL: to read and finish at least 27 books from my TBR pile.

Thanks again for this Nu-Knees and Ibis3. I do find having a deadline and a goal does help to keep me on the straight and narrow job of reading and enjoying the accumulated books in this house.

Books read:
The Copper Peacock - Ruth Rendell
The Elixir of Death - Bernard Knight
The Killing Game - Iris Johansen
Jester Leaps In - Alan Gordon
Beastly Behaviour - Rolf Harris

Totals to date:
10/27 TBRs

Currently reading:
The Outlaws of Ennor - Michael Jecks
Harem - Barbara Nadel

I'm just going to aim for 4 tbr books.

I've been debating what to do with Shantaram because it's so big and I'll be nowhere near done when the month ends, but I think I'll just keep plugging away at it on the sidelines and not put it in the challenge. Also I will hopefully be taking some summer classes (to try and go back to school for another degree - ah, nervous!) so June is probably going to be slow on the reading front.

> I will hopefully be taking some summer
> classes (to try and go back to school for
> another degree

Good Luck!
Edited to remove the Thingy

All old-hands so far! Good to see so many of you keen to keep going :-)

Thanks Nu-Knees and Ibis3 for keeping this challenge going! With session #12 we will be coming up to the completion of three years! Obviously, we've been enjoying ourselves ;)

I will definitely be joining in again, still thinking about my goals... Since life's challenge continues, I will keep my reading challenge fairly simple, and reasonably attainable.

> I will definitely be joining in again,
> still thinking about my goals.

Welcome home, mrsg! SIY wouldn't be the same without you :-)

I doubt I'm going to make my SIY #11 challenge so I'll have to think about what to put for SIY #12. I'll post that later.

10 books for me once again

I've been looking forward so much to this quarter. It contains one (1) April break, three (3) weeks at the beach, and one (1) month of "summer" break which I'll be spending back in my hometown (where it'll be winter). Hence, my goal is a bit more ambitious this time - I'll aim to read ten (10) books from the 1001 list of books. Can't wait!

Many thanks once again to Ibis3 for the IT, & for Nu-Knees for hosting :)

I'd also like to add one non-fiction book to my SIY challenge... I have a few around & I'm not a very good reader when it comes to non-fiction.

Keeping my challenge the same - read 10 books from other BookCrossers.

This helps keep my focus on those BC books I've had way too long.

Same goal as always - 10 TBRs

I'll try to read 15 books this upcoming quarter even though I am behind on my goal of reading 12 this quarter.... I have tons of books in my TBR pile that I collected from various sources & want to read. I just don't know which ones yet.

I'm starting a second A - Z authors challenge and plan to read the first half April - June.

I say "plan" because I'm on holiday at the beginning of May and I know I won't make any progress that week and a half!

I have a lot of travel plans this spring so I'm going to be a bit more modest in my goal.

Books off Mt TBR = 20
Book club books = 3
For a total of 23 books read. I will of course try to read more as I usually try but with being gone for at least two weeks in april and the madness that will ensue at work on my return....this is a more manageable goal. LOL!!

Welcome back! Our numbers are steadily growing!

> the madness that will ensue at work on my
> return
That's something I don't miss about working for a living :-)

I've finally settled on my goals for SIY 12: to read 12 TBRs.

For my purposes, TBRs will include both registered and unregistered books in my possession, titles from my TBR "list", library holds, and titles that I've "always meant to read". I believe I still also have one bookring to expect and that would also count.

My goal is to read 8 books from my TBR list as of the start of the quarter.

My goal in most previous challenges has been 10 TBR books, but I've decided to cut myself a little slack. I'm expecting to be somewhat busy this quarter, I have a bunch of library reading I want to do and it hasn't felt right counting that this quarter, and eight books is 1/4 of my current TBR, which feels like a fair proportion. (TBR currently has 31 books. I hope to finish one of those by the end of this month, and don't expect to add any in the next four days.)

If I'm at or close to eight books by the beginning of June, I may increase my goal to 10, but somehow decreasing the goal once I've set it doesn't seem nearly as fair.

Edited to remove pilcrow.

-something in swedish (this might be something else than a book, for example a thesis)
-something fun, 1 book
-1 book by Philip K. Dick
-3 BC-books
-3 others
-1 vocational book
-2 graphic/comics

total: 12

I'll start reading 1/3 of BC-books: Leena Krohn's Umbra http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7676536

(edit:trying to make the link to work)

A Warm Welcome to all!
Good Luck, everybody!
Have fun!
And don't forget the pilcrows when you post :-)

I think I made 7/11 last time. This time I'm going for 12. I'm determined to have more reading time!!

Welcome back!
That takes us to 23 Challengers at the starting line :-)

Edited for typo. I must concentrate, I must concentrate, I must....

Welcome aboard everyone.

And it looks great as usual - fantastic picture! Thanks, Ibis3!

> And it looks great as usual- fantastic
> picture! Thanks, Ibis3!

It is a beautiful picture and great page as usual Ibis3, Mrsgaskell a link would be fantastic in SIY # 12!

Thank you again for another beautiful page with a very attractive picture, Ibis3. I can just imagine myself in that tree - but wouldn't look nearly so elegant and I wouldn't be able to get comfortable, so I'd fidget and end up in the water in no time.... (LOL!)
I've now added the link to the initial setting up/invitation post

> I can just imagine myself in that tree-
> but wouldn't look nearly so elegant and I
> wouldn't be able to get comfortable, so
> I'd fidget and end up in the water in no
> time.... (LOL!)

I'm afraid I'd make a splash, too ;)

I'm carrying through with Paradise Lost from my last two SIYs and I'm beginning Metaphysics a few pages in. I'm still reading The Name of the Rose, but I didn't include it for this challenge because I expect to finish this weekend.

I've also started on one of my "other" category books: a Star Trek novel from a book box I got back in 2006 I think, and Catch-22 on audio (which I actually started preemptively yesterday during an unexpected errand I had to run).

I have had in my TBR pile for some time now, Victoria Glendinning's "Trollope" which is a monumental brick of a book weighing a few kilograms and the size of a small tree! One day a few years ago in my library studies days I bought this book from a railway station stall in Central Station Sydney with the idea of reading it on my roughly 2 hour journey homewards to Goulburn train trip. From that time it greatly amused me on the trip but I didn't finish it and promptly put it aside on entering the house. Now seems as good a time as any to begin reading this epic again.

Thus I plan to read "Trollope" by Victoria Glendinning for my non-fiction (513 pages). And somewhat fitting as my other book I choose "The Way we live now" by Anthony Trollope (762 pages). As you can see, I aim to fail yet again but at least I will enjoy my reading this challenge!

> As you can see, I aim to fail yet again
> but at least I will enjoy my reading this
> challenge!

I admire your optimism, lass! Good Luck! LOL!

> As you can see, I aim to fail yet again

You'll surprise yourself one of these days and make it - I'm rooting for you!! Enjoy the Trollope!

wingminesaynwing 9 yrs ago
May I join?
I've never tried this before (beyond my own internal expectations).

Goals:
2 nonfiction books (Let's Not Go to the Dogs Tonight, a memoir by Alexandra Fuller
(Charlie Wilson's War)
1 classic novel (Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger...no I have never read it)
1 TBR received from another bookcrosser (either The Mermaid's Chair or Loving Frank)
2 other TBR from my pile
1 The Great Molinas by N.D. Isaacs

plus I am sure that I will be reading others as well

You're very welcome, minesayn. I think I'm right in saying you're the first new Challenger for SIY#12, everyone else has taken part before, so an especial Welcome to you.
I've added you to the List of Participants, taking it to a total of 24.
Perhaps you'd add the ¶ symbol (alt 0182 or alt 788 or copy and paste an earlier one) to your post to draw Ibis3's attention to it, please - and then edit it out when she's added your details to the Progress Page. It's how she keeps such efficient track of how we're all doing :-)

I finished one book yesterday, but I don't count it because I started it in March. But now I am reading Puhdistus
by Sofi Oksanen.

Finished Helen Dunmore "With Your Crooked Heart" (not her best, depressing).

I picked up Janet Evanovich's "Ten Big Ones" at a BC meet-up on Wednesday and decided to read that for E. It took me about 2 hours, I think. It's the first one of hers I've read (always hearing them raved about on the forums). It was very silly indeed but I'm going to be forced to agree with other BCers on the hotness of Ranger. Half way through the book, it struck me - "He's the Milk Tray Man!" Dresses all in black, appears and disappears.... now if he'd only start actually delivering chocolate, he'd be perfect.

Now just about to start "The Sea House" by Esther Freud.

about 1/3 of the way through "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" by Alexandra Fuller and also about 1/3 of the way through "The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd that was sent to me by fellow bookcrosser eblanco001. Although I'd prefer to read the latter book first, I hope to finish the former book in a day or so (and will report back after I have finished with it).

Finished "The Sea House" by Esther Freud.

Now reading "Saints and Adventurers" by Frances Gapper, which I think has been on Mt TBR for about 15 years!

Finished "Saints and Adventurers", which was most odd - a magic realist tale about a girl and her mad Corsican mother and grandmother, set in Surbiton.

Now reading "Strange Meeting" by Susan Hill.

Hi Ibis3, it seems I got missed on the progress page. My goals are on page one, I haven't removed the ¶ so hopefully it will stand out. Or would you prefer I just list them again?

I have no idea how that happened, but I'm going back over the thread and adding people in. If you're not on the page but you've posted here, just wait until the next update. Hopefully I'll have everything fixed up. If you're just signing up now for the first time in this thread, please go right ahead as usual.

I am currently reading "Beyond Sing the Woods" by Trygve Gulbranssen (one of my List books) and "A Conspiracy of Kings" by Megan Whalen Turner (this is actually not from either of my categories, but a friend lent me this uncorrected proof copy and it is an author I really enjoy, so, I thought, "why not"?

> I am currently reading "Beyond Sing the
> Woods" by Trygve Gulbranssen (one of my
> List books) and "A Conspiracy of Kings" by
> Megan Whalen Turner (this is actually not
> from either of my categories, but a friend
> lent me this uncorrected proof copy and it
> is an author I really enjoy, so, I
> thought, "why not"?

So are you adding it to your Challenge? If so, are you dropping another book or just adding it on top (11 books total)?

I'm just adding "A Conspiracy of Kings" to my goal, making 11 total. I just couldn't pass up a chance to read a favorite author.
And, by the way, I must say you always find such a nice picture for the progress page.

Fixed for me - thank you!!!

Please check & make sure you're on the page and your goals and progress are up to date.

Thanks very much, I'm on the progress page now :-)

I've just started The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon, which I picked up at a meet last year.

I've picked up an additional book for this challenge now. I've just received notification asking for my address for a bookbox that I'm planning to put this one into, so I'd better get a move on :)

Starting Literary Trips: Following in the Footsteps of Fame, edited by Victoria Brooks. This came home to me in a bookbox last year.

I think this one is going to be with me a while, so I 'd like to see it corrected on the next update. Thanks, Ibis3 :)

I've finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, and loved it. Found it a compelling read, and the narrator believable and sympathetic. I really enjoyed the story, and skipped over the bits of math that were too challenging.

I loved that book too. It was so different from others. And i loved the mathematical bits too!

I messed up my own 'goals' entry, failing to include the 2 Shakespeare plays I plan to read. I also added most of my formerly "TBD"s. My second classic will be E. Gaskell's Mary Barton (one of the suggestions that my library had available); for my "other" category I've picked From the Depths by Victor Milan (a Star Trek novel), O is for Outlaw (Alphabet mystery), Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke (the third of the "Ink" trilogy), and For Her Own Good: 150 Years of the Experts' Advice to Women by Barbara Ehrenreich & Deirdre English (which has been sitting on my TBR shelf for years). Two audiobooks remain TBD.

I finished Puhdistus by Sofi Oksanen http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7094235 last night - a marvellous book! It is 1/10 from the other tbr books.

Now reading Trace by Patricia Cornwell.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.