Night Shelter request

Forum » Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Our local night shelter has requested books for their clients. Dropping off a selection of books that have been in storage for far too long.
I like the idea that these books will hopefully circulate around our growing homeless community. I suspect they may not get journalled but I nevertheless like that they are going to people who want to read.
Hard to get a library card as a house sitter it must be even harder for the homeless.

I like the idea that these books will hopefully circulate around our growing homeless community. I suspect they may not get journalled but I nevertheless like that they are going to people who want to read.

That's a great way to share books! It's be lovely if you did hear back from some (or about them, via the shelter staff), but even without that it's nice to know they're going where they're needed and wanted.

Great work, makes me realise how important it is to have street libraries in areas of high homelessness. I've never thought about library access before.

Great work, makes me realise how important it is to have street libraries in areas of high homelessness. I've never thought about library access before.

There is a lilliput library (local variation of little free library) across the road from a night shelter in my town. When I last was in the neighbourhood I dropped off some books I though might go down well with the residences.

I think the location was a coincidence, but very useful. It appears on the official bookcrossing Instagram (link below)

https://www.instagram.com/---/BdSXyMBnBEt/?...

This reminds me that I haven't dropped reading material off at one of our local shelters here for a while. I should do that again. I used to save old Readers' Digests for them; that was a favorite.

The last few times I've gone to our local shelter to drop off lunches, I've seen paperback books on one of the tables. Someone must be bringing them in. I thought that was a great idea. I've decided that next time we have a library book sale, I'll buy a bag full of books to drop off at our shelter. I'll register them and release them, but I don't care if they ever get journaled. It would be nice if they would, but the main thing is that I want them to go to people who will enjoy them.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.