Cats and static-prevention - helpful hints?

Forum » Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
If you've encountered situations where stroking the cat results in static shocks, have you found ways to minimize/prevent them? So far Raffles has tolerated them, but it's clear he feels the shocks and doesn't like them, and I hate it when a warm, snuggly moment with the cat turns into a "why did you just zap me on my nose???" situation!

[He's sleeping on my lap now. All the way on my lap, for the first time in the year since I've adopted him; usually he would settle next to me, so I'm pleased that he's claiming more territory. I'm also well and thoroughly catted and may be stuck sitting here for some time {wry grin}.]


I used to have a humidifier going in my bedroom all winter long as they furnace tens to really dry the air. But I found that the humidifier leaves a white film on the floor, even when it is advertised as *residue-free*.

I was also just wondering how to remedy this. My old cats also tolerate the sparks but clearly, would rather avoid it if possible. As would I!

I thought about just leaving bowls of water in various rooms, to evaporate, but the cats would probably just drink from them.


Hi jessibud, the white film comes from the water you use, when it has much calcium carbonate . So if you use destilled water, or boiled water it is better. We use the water from our dryer.


Oh, interesting. That's not something I have ever experienced with my cats even although I get shocks from many other things including when unlocking the car and, really regularly, a wall at work(?). According to a website I looked at you shouldn't get shocks from a wall.


probably depends on the materials used in the wall and if the floor is very static that could also be a reason that the wall reacts with you.


but it was what worked in our house. Our lovely first dog, Pal, loved getting pets but in the winter time he had to put up with the little shocks that came with it. He used to approach us while squinting up his eyes because he knew a shock was coming. Then when our stove had to be replaced we decided to get a gas stove because all the foodies I knew loved cooking on a gas stove. As soon as it was installed the static disappeared. The explanation is that the combustion process used for the burners and the oven releases water vapour into the air and that was enough to increase the humidity in the house. (As an aside, when we later replaced old windows with new the house was sealed up so much that we started having too much humidity in the winter when the windows were closed. We put in a heat recovery ventilator (HRV) which controls humidity by bringing outside air in when needed.) Things that are baked in a gas oven always turn out much moister and meat is never dry even when well-done. I would never go back to an electric stove. I had forgotten about the static electricity reduction until I saw this thread.


Just had a thought.

Keep an (unscented) dryer sheet handy and rub your hands with it first.


plastic is often a reason for static. and don't shuffle on carpets ;)


to prevent the nose zap, just make sure your hand is touching some other part of the cat's body before you touch noses.


Well, in our household, when I was growing up, we stuck a small balloon on our staticky cats belly and watched him walk around with it.

He loved us anyway. :)


Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.