corner corner Lol, a $9,000 ball of yarn... Really???

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Lol, a $9,000 ball of yarn... Really???

Yes, indeed! You can own a ball of yarn from Tiffany & Company for $9,000 a skein. This yarn has a limited edition number of 5 skeins and is sold in their New York flagship store and other select stores. Each ball of yarn is "made from handspun strands of textured sterling silver".

I can't imagine dropping $9,000 on a ball of yarn... I don't have that kind disposable cash laying around for frivolous spending!!

https://www.cnbc.com/---/a-9000-ball-of-yarn-and-more-ordinary-items-at-extraordinary-prices.html

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Yes, indeed! You can own a ball of yarn from Tiffany & Company for $9,000 a skein. This yarn has a limited edition number of 5 skeins and is sold in their New York flagship store and other select stores. Each ball of yarn is "made from handspun strands of textured sterling silver".

I can't imagine dropping $9,000 on a ball of yarn... I don't have that kind disposable cash laying around for frivolous spending!!

https://www.cnbc.com/---/a-9000-ball-of-yarn-and-more-ordinary-items-at-extraordinary-prices.html
Profile Image

It's not actually yarn, you know. It's a sterling silver bibelot. And there are only 5 (not 500): http://www.tiffany.com/---/everyday-objects-ball-of-yarn-60558779
Profile Image
It's not actually yarn, you know. It's a sterling silver bibelot. And there are only 5 (not 500): http://www.tiffany.com/---/everyday-objects-ball-of-yarn-60558779

Thanks for the correction!! I misread.... My mind is still swimming from the $9,000 price tag. I mean really, what can you do with with it??

I'm figuring one can't really knit or crochet (etc.... hence bibelot) with it, so what's the point of it other than being a show piece?
Profile Image
so what's the point of it other than being a show piece?

Isn't that enough, though? Lots of people have knick-knacks of various kinds, often relating to a hobby or interest, and I can certainly see someone with scads of money giving this to a relative who is fond of knitting.
Profile Image
Isn't that enough, though? Lots of people have knick-knacks of various kinds, often relating to a hobby or interest, and I can certainly see someone with scads of money giving this to a relative who is fond of knitting.

I'm all for having knick-knacks due to suit my various interests... I have plenty of knick-knacks myself (mainly books and knitting supplies like yarn if you consider spending money on hobbies knick knacks), but they don't even come close to costing $9,000 or more a piece! I'm extremely frugal with $$$.

All I'm saying is that I am not in the monetary position to drop that kind of $$$$ on a so called knick-knack. Not even close!! That kind of money would be better spent on more useful/needed items.... Like a down payment on a new car, a home, etc.

It must be awfully nice for someone to be that infinitely wealthy to just drop that kind of $$$ on a knick-knack and not have to think twice about it as $9,000 isn't exactly chump change.

So it isn't so much that someone wants to put that silver ball of yarn from Tiffany & Company.... It's the price tag!!
Profile Image
So it isn't so much that someone wants to put that silver ball of yarn from Tiffany & Company.... It's the price tag!!

If people want to buy it at that price, it's only smart to offer it.
Personally I've never spent even half of that on any one thing. Not even a vehicle.
Profile Image
If people want to buy it at that price, it's only smart to offer it.

No argument there.
Profile Image
So whatever is done with it, it will tarnish.
Profile Image

That's what butlers and silver polish are for!
Profile Image

That would be way too hard to polish with all those groves and layers!
Profile Image

Fairy butlers :)
Profile Image
Fairy Butler Indeed!! ;-)
Profile Image

Toothbrushes.
Profile Image
I keep doing that lately!

Fairy Butlers!
Profile Image
Good thing you did it too - all the best fairy butlers hang out in groves. If you don't have groves, you won't get fairy butlers, or at least not reputable ones.
Profile Image
Fairy Butlers with toothbrushes running through groves cleaning the tarnish from silver balls of yarn...sounds about right! Haha

Wait, wait! Aren't fairies adversely affected by silver? Or just dark fairies?
Profile Image
Aren't fairies adversely affected by silver?

I thought that was werewolves.
I remember a funny scene from the comedy 'Love at First Bite' where the vampire hunter shoots the vampire with silver bullets.
The vampire brushes himself down and says, "That is for werewolves."
The person who had just shot him asks, "Are you sure?"
"Quite!" replied the vampire, still very much alive and unhurt.
Profile Image
Hmm. Maybe I'm thinking of iron.
Profile Image
Hmm. Maybe I'm thinking of iron.

In the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire (recommended if you enjoy fantasy and fairies) the fairies are indeed weakened by both iron and silver.

"Faeries do have several weakness, including the dawn, certain woods, and silver. Iron, however, is the most deadly."

http://october-daye.wikia.com/---/Faeries

PS. I came to the site today to release a couple of books. I usually don't post messages here but I like to read the chit-chat and happened to see this. Hope it's helpful. :-)
Profile Image
Reminds me of the lady who bought a couple of cases of steel wool....she wanted to knit herself a stove!

Profile Image
I can't imagine dropping $9,000 on a ball of yarn...

Assuming I had that kind of money, I'd rather buy Tiffany's ball of yarn (it's not my taste but at least it's attractive and different) than their $1,000 "tin" can:

http://www.kansascity.com/---/article183189006.html
Profile Image
I actually prefer the can. I could keep my pencil stubs in it.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.