corner corner Rearranging furniture

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Rearranging furniture

Not sure if it's restlessness due to the changing seasons and encroaching darkness (sunset's at 4:30 now, since we just went off Daylight Saving Time) or something else, but I felt the urge to shuffle the furniture in my living room. Since the room's not large, and has hallways on two sides, doors on the other two, and a big window with must-not-be-obstructed heat-vents under it, the options are limited. I did switch the sofa and the comfy-chair, and it seems to fit (and looks rather nice), but now I have to juggle the things I've gotten in the habit of relying on: end tables for drinks, books, notepads; surfaces for doing book-registration and labeling; the wiring for the phone and answering machine and the recharger for my laptop. Oh, and the cat tree, which needs to be near the big window so the cat can watch the birds, but that can't be too near the door as it'll obstruct the entrance, or too near the TV where it'll obstruct the view.

It may take a little while - and perhaps some new lamps and extension cords - before everything's back to where I can settle down in comfort and not have to keep jumping up again to retrieve Yet Another Thing that's no longer where I expect it.

Oh, and the cat is unhappy about all this, even though I thought the new couch-position will be better for his bird-watching. He's staying well away from the Furniture That Is Not Where It Should Be - but it's only a few hours yet; maybe he'll mellow out by tomorrow!

I was surprised to find only three cat toys lost beneath the couch. Lots of dust bunnies, yes, but nowhere near as many cat toys as I'd have expected in the many, many years since the couch was moved {wry grin}.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Not sure if it's restlessness due to the changing seasons and encroaching darkness (sunset's at 4:30 now, since we just went off Daylight Saving Time) or something else, but I felt the urge to shuffle the furniture in my living room. Since the room's not large, and has hallways on two sides, doors on the other two, and a big window with must-not-be-obstructed heat-vents under it, the options are limited. I did switch the sofa and the comfy-chair, and it seems to fit (and looks rather nice), but now I have to juggle the things I've gotten in the habit of relying on: end tables for drinks, books, notepads; surfaces for doing book-registration and labeling; the wiring for the phone and answering machine and the recharger for my laptop. Oh, and the cat tree, which needs to be near the big window so the cat can watch the birds, but that can't be too near the door as it'll obstruct the entrance, or too near the TV where it'll obstruct the view.

It may take a little while - and perhaps some new lamps and extension cords - before everything's back to where I can settle down in comfort and not have to keep jumping up again to retrieve Yet Another Thing that's no longer where I expect it.

Oh, and the cat is unhappy about all this, even though I thought the new couch-position will be better for his bird-watching. He's staying well away from the Furniture That Is Not Where It Should Be - but it's only a few hours yet; maybe he'll mellow out by tomorrow!

I was surprised to find only three cat toys lost beneath the couch. Lots of dust bunnies, yes, but nowhere near as many cat toys as I'd have expected in the many, many years since the couch was moved {wry grin}.
Profile Image
We swap the furniture over in our house every six months. For winter months we have our TV and recliners in the lounge (front) room, but for summer swap to the family room which is off the kitchen. It's much cooler in this room, and there is a cross breeze, and we have found we have saved money on our electricity bill as we require less air conditioning.

And it's good to have a change.
Profile Image
not walking in there in the dark, until you are well used to the changes. Wouldn't want any broken toes or bruises..... ;-)
Profile Image
to find that hidden dust...and stashed cat toys :)

I wouldn't attempt it in my lounge/dining/kitchen (one big room) as most of the furniture is too heavy for me to move.
Profile Image
I'm a never-rearrange person. Move into a place (which I last did almost 40 years ago), decide where to put things, put 'em there...and leave 'em.

That's it.
Profile Image
I'm a never-rearrange person. Move into a place (which I last did almost 40 years ago), decide where to put things, put 'em there...and leave 'em.

That's it.

That's my style! And I've only got one picture on my walls. Not a very energetic decorator!
Profile Image
picture on my walls

My house has concrete walls with very hard stones in the concrete, (plus metal reinforcement of course, but that isn't the problem). If I want to hang something on my walls it's a serious consideration, because my drill (good size) isn't capable of it, so I need to call a friend who has a 'giant' drill (and diamond tipped drill pieces probably) to make the hole. So I don't buy paintings without lots of consideration to their 'forever' display position. Unless I can swap two paintings about.
Profile Image
picture on my walls

My house has concrete walls with very hard stones in the concrete, (plus metal reinforcement of course, but that isn't the problem).

My own walls are drywall, so it's easy to add or change picture-hangers, but my sister's place has old-style plaster walls. And she's renting, so even if it weren't a headache to install hangers without making the wall crumble, she couldn't do it. She's been propping framed photos on the mantel or on top of bookcases or other furniture, and using that sticky, easy-release wall-putty to hang lightweight things like posters.
Profile Image
Hmmm....be careful. Cursed artifacts are tricky to settle!

http://www.gocomics.com/---/8
Profile Image
Hmmm....be careful. Cursed artifacts are tricky to settle!

http://www.gocomics.com/---/8

Oh, I love that strip - very apt, both for the unreasonable-furniture-moving and for the breaking-cat-news aspect. The cats always do seem to take it very seriously when parts of their universe get moved around without their consent - though some of my previous cats took that as "new territory to conquer" and were very happy and excited, while the more timid cats assumed it meant Disaster Is Looming. Raffles is more of the latter, though he spent more time on the newly-repositioned couch today and actually snoozed for a while, so I think he'll be OK!
Profile Image
" Oh, and the cat tree, which needs to be near the big window so the cat can watch the birds, but that can't be too near the door as it'll obstruct the entrance, or too near the TV where it'll obstruct the view. "

That is always the sticking point for me -- I have 2 cat trees, one in the dining room and one in the bedroom, and they dictate the placement of all other furniture.
Profile Image
I used to be notorious for rearranging furniture. Not just within a room, but exchanging furniture from the living room to dining room and later, when owning a bigger home; scrambling up furniture between living, family and dining rooms. The kitchen had an eating area and an office/sewing/books area that joined in on the fun too.
I made our kids crazy because they never knew what they'd come home to.
I liked clean floors. Hate dust. So what better way is there to make sure all is cleaned well? Move the furniture!

I once used a leaf blower to "dust" the walls and skylight. It worked well on the inside of an upright bass also. Probably blew out 25 years of dust.
Profile Image
Update: I still haven't quite worked out the finer points of the new configuration, but Raffles-the-cat seems pleased; he's been bouncing up on the couch to watch the birds in more comfort than before, and just now he was snoozing right next to me in the comfy-chair. He also seems to like having more options for things to jump up onto - a good thing, as he's still a bit chunky and can use the exercise.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.