corner corner Unwanted books

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Unwanted books

I have just been given 3 large bags of books. The intention was good, but I didn't request them and when I checked the books found the whole lot are cheap romance novels. I wouldn't want them on my book list. To me it would be no better than registering magazines. Plus registering takes time and I have no appetite for spending the time registering such books. So I won't. If the donor won't take them back I will recycle the lot. I can't even take them to the local charity shop, as they only have good quality books for sale and almost certainly they would recycle these books too.
Has anyone else been given books they can't be bothered with?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I have just been given 3 large bags of books. The intention was good, but I didn't request them and when I checked the books found the whole lot are cheap romance novels. I wouldn't want them on my book list. To me it would be no better than registering magazines. Plus registering takes time and I have no appetite for spending the time registering such books. So I won't. If the donor won't take them back I will recycle the lot. I can't even take them to the local charity shop, as they only have good quality books for sale and almost certainly they would recycle these books too.
Profile Image

Sometimes, but only one or two. So I registered them and got rid of them as soon as I could ;-)
You just have to tell the donor, this is not what you want or else, like you said recycle them.
I wouldn't spend time on them.
Profile Image
There are some bookcrossers who would love them however. It's a shame one of those folks wasn't the recipient of your gift!
Profile Image
If the donor won't take them back I will recycle the lot.
If you are looking to rehome them, I suggest one of the 4 Little Free Library locations in Canberra (1 in Phillip & 3 in Curtin) if you have the time to drop them off.
Just check the addresses of them on the LFL map
https://littlefreelibrary.org/ourmap/

Yes, but I tend to just quietly rehome them.
Profile Image
If you are looking to rehome them, I suggest one of the 4 Little Free Library locations in Canberra

There are a LOT of these tiny, thin romance novels and the number would overwhelm ALL these libraries, remembering they already have books in them and when I have visited them, fairly full. The quality of the books in them suggests to me that the LFL owners might also recycle these books.

I pulled one small book out of a bag to measure it. "A Willful Marriage" - part of the 'Desire' series, advertised as "Sexy & Deductive", 11cm x 17cm x 8mm. Tiny, so a LOT of books fill the three shopping bags.
Profile Image
Can't you find another BCer who would be willing to register the books and release them?

I don't think I've ever been given a book that I "can't be bothered with". Books I didn't care to read, yes. But then I would just register (or, if it were already a BC book, journal) the book and release it.

There is quite an audience for "cheap romance novels", so I would let the book go to find someone who wanted it.
Profile Image
There is quite an audience for "cheap romance novels", so I would let the book go to find someone who wanted it.

I agree. I would release pretty much anything as long as it's in decent shape and I can imagine people enjoing it. And lots of people love romance novels... that's why so many are printed and sold!
I do draw the line at anything by L. Ron Hubbard...
Profile Image
I would have to order more release labels from you to be able to release them. Small books, so many books in those bags. As much as I like supporting BC and your small business, not worth the money or time.
Profile Image
I would have to order more release labels from you to be able to release them.

Or just hand-label them - no purchase necessary. (I'm sure you know that, but I wanted to mention it in case any newbies are reading.)

But I do understand about not wanting to take the time and effort for books you don't really even want on your bookshelf. Since I've been trying to help keep the new local LFLs stocked I find myself looking at the donated-for-LFLs books and thinking "do I want to bother to register any of these?" And since I have so many of my own books that i do want to take the time to register and label and write up some thoughts about, I often leave the umpteenth Grisham or Nora Roberts or whatever unregistered. (I wouldn't register those little mass-produced romance novels either - unless one had a particularly hilarious title or cover; I actually had a nice catch on a rather silly example of that genre!)

If there's any kind of neighborhood web site or newsletter for "I have free stuff to whoever wants it", you could list the boxes of books and see if there are any takers who'd swing by you and pick them up from the curb. But if you just want 'em out of the house, I can see recycling being an option.
Profile Image
I wouldn't register those little mass-produced romance novels either - unless one had a particularly hilarious title or cover

After reading that, I will check all the titles to see if any lend themselves to a themed release. Something like, 'A Gushing Romance' would be good. I could leave it on a fountain...or in it.
I will let you know if any titles stand out.
Profile Image
Can't you find another BCer who would be willing to register the books and release them?

Doubtful that any BC people I know would be interested either. (Guessing though, so if any Canberra BCers read this and want theses books, let me know.)
Profile Image
(Guessing though, so if any Canberra BCers read this and want theses books, let me know.)

Mick can release them at work, can get off you at the next meet-up?
Profile Image
Toss them my way... I'll take care of them. :D
Profile Image
Sorry, there are a lot of books (too many to weigh on the kitchen scales and I don't own scales for humans) and I don't want to spend any money posting them. It would be many 3kg postage bags.

But thank you for the kind offer.
Profile Image
Sorry, there are a lot of books (too many to weigh on the kitchen scales and I don't own scales for humans) and I don't want to spend any money posting them. It would be many 3kg postage bags.

But thank you for the kind offer.

I could post some off to you, and you could post as many back as you can filled with books, just to get them off your hands. A few 5kg bags with my address on them?
Profile Image
RosieCanberra

That's a very kind offer, but RosieCanberra has now offered to take them, so I can hand them to her at the next Canberra BC meet-up. Books going to new home and no postage involved. Problem solved :)
Profile Image
RosieCanberra

That's a very kind offer, but RosieCanberra has now offered to take them, so I can hand them to her at the next Canberra BC meet-up. Books going to new home and no postage involved. Problem solved :)

Okay... that's cool. :) Just thought to offer. :)
Profile Image

Happens every now and then - I just take them to the local library's book exchange shelf unregistered, either all at once or a few at a time, depending on the amount. Someone might still be happy to find them & they are not books I care to hear of afterwards anyway, so doesn't matter if they're registered or not.
Profile Image

Yes, then I put them in an open bookshelf, usually there they find takers.
Profile Image

I suggest accept graciously in the spirit they were given. One person's trash is another's treasure. It would be offensive I suspect to the donor if you returned them, rejection is not a pleasant experience. Just drop off in small batches to a local little library or book exchange shelf. Prenumbered labels take very little time in my experience and the small ones are perfect for such donations. Sometimes I just label and circulate without bothering to register. The finder can if their interest is sparked.
Profile Image
I suggest accept graciously in the spirit they were given. One person's trash is another's treasure. It would be offensive I suspect to the donor if you returned them, rejection is not a pleasant experience. Just drop off in small batches to a local little library or book exchange shelf. Prenumbered labels take very little time in my experience and the small ones are perfect for such donations. Sometimes I just label and circulate without bothering to register. The finder can if their interest is sparked.

Safe there as the books didn't originate with the person who gave them to me, and they weren't reading material they would be interested in either. (Hence passed onto me.) They were given the books by another person and they then passed them onto me, because they know I Bookcross. I would treat the situation differently if the actual reader wanted me to have them, then if someone who didn't want them (as in this case) passed them onto me.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.