corner corner Why is it so hard to find a Massage Therapist who is JUST a massage therapist?

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Why is it so hard to find a Massage Therapist who is JUST a massage therapist?

I don't want some one to balance my chakras, heal me with crystals, or stick useless needles in me. I just want someone to pound my tight muscles into mush once in a while so I can move a bit easier. But nooooooooo - every RMT out there seems to subscribe to some cockamamie woo-woo magic cure that they insist works without the slightest scientific backing. Even if I persuade one that all I want is a massage, I feel like I'm helping to perpetuate this nonsense. Even physiotherapists all offer acupuncture!

Can you tell that to me 'alternative medicine' is right up there with 'alternative facts'?

Rant over. Thank you for listening.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I don't want some one to balance my chakras, heal me with crystals, or stick useless needles in me. I just want someone to pound my tight muscles into mush once in a while so I can move a bit easier. But nooooooooo - every RMT out there seems to subscribe to some cockamamie woo-woo magic cure that they insist works without the slightest scientific backing. Even if I persuade one that all I want is a massage, I feel like I'm helping to perpetuate this nonsense. Even physiotherapists all offer acupuncture!

Can you tell that to me 'alternative medicine' is right up there with 'alternative facts'?

Rant over. Thank you for listening.

Profile Image

+1
Profile Image
Right there with you, kiddo.
Profile Image
I am the most skeptical person alive. I KNOW that acupuncture is bull and I KNOW it only works on stupid, gullible people who are willing to give away money.
But apparently my body disagrees with my mind.

I KNOW that those tiny needles can make me feel the energy run through my body. They can get rid of migraines in seconds and they make my bone on bone thumb joints have absolutely no pain (after steroid shots only worked for a few days and the dr wanted to replace the joints).

I could go on and on. I have a terminal illness ~ I've passed a few expected "expiration dates" and I'd give up all my doctors before I'd give up my acupuncturists because they are helping me feel well.
I go in, dragging big time. I leave feeling like I could run a mile.
Profile Image
I actually don't have acupuncture firmly on my woo-woo list. It's the only "alternative medicine" that I feel occupies a grey area. There is a fair amount of reputable research out there that suggests there may be a measurable effect (beyond placebo) from its use, but the "why" is fuzzy. Endorphins? Maybe, but there's dispute about that.

So my jury's out on that one. And even if it WERE clearly on the woo-woo list, if it helps, go for it!!
Profile Image
I thought I'd found one in July but she's cancelled my last 2 appointments. Don't think I'll give her a third chance.
Profile Image
but that massage therapists are a very rare species outside popular holiday resorts/hotels. Every time you see a massage center advertised in a random location, most likely in reality is an illegal brothel.
In very rare situations where you find real massages offered outside a hotel or the beach, often they come from some kind of spiritual, new age or whatever center, aimed mostly to a very specific crowd, located in odd locations, mostly among ex-pat communities or tourist destinations. Still that's a rarity.
Physiotherapists are usually too busy with other stuff and although there is much potential in massage, usually you have to go begging them to arrange an appointment among their busy schedule and they charge an arm and a leg.

On the positive side, I hear there is a new chain of massage centers all over Athens now and giving them a try is on top of my list for when I'll go in Athens on January. The rates they charge are very low and seems too good to be true, but we'll see....
Profile Image
Maybe things are different in Canada compared to the UK, but over here I find the vast majority of trained massage therapists work in spas (usually attached to hotels) and in beauty salons or as beauty add-ons to hair salons.

There *are* "healing" centres around where massage is on the menu along with chakra balancing/ear candling/aura reading/reiki bollocks, but it's rare for genuine beauty/hair salons to add on woo-type cobblers.
Profile Image
See if there are any message therapy schools near you. As long as you don't mind students working on you. You at least know there is a teacher supervising. I know cosmetology schools are open to the public going in, but not sure about message therapy schools. Doesn't hurt to check it out though. I don't know if you'd have an audience or if you can be seen by someone who is practicing before graduation so would have privacy.
Profile Image
*heh*

I once posted here about a "massage" when I meant "message", so you've made me happy today with your message about massage. Thank you!
:)
Profile Image
lol I didn't even notice!
I think we need some 'message' therapy schools!
Profile Image
FYI, I found one whose website doesn't mention anything but massage, and I have an appointment with her in a couple of weeks. We'll see.....

ETA: Should I have used 'who's' instead of 'whose'?....Perhaps I need to go to 'message therapy school'!
Profile Image
ETA: Should I have used 'who's' instead of 'whose'?....Perhaps I need to go to 'message therapy school'!

I'm sure you don't really need as answer but I can't resist commenting because they're so frequently confused and I don't know why! Who's is a contraction for Who is and Whose is possessive, the same distinction as It's and Its . . . . :-)
Good luck with the massage!
Profile Image
Who's is a contraction for Who is and Whose is possessive, the same distinction as It's and Its

Thank you! Now I'll never get them mixed up again.
:)
Profile Image
In other words, you used "whose" correctly.

:-) Oh, but why use one word when you can use ten?????????? :-)
Profile Image
:D

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.