corner corner How did you all come to join bookcrossing?

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

How did you all come to join bookcrossing?

Did you find a book in the wild?
Did you buy a book in a sale or charity shop that had a sticker?
Word of mouth?
Or any other more unusual introduction?

Just for fun... :) I'd really like to know your stories!

Here's mine: I found out about book crossing and became a member when I received a book from Read it Swap it, which had a BC label inside. So bookwormkt is my referring member as she registered the book and sent it to me on RiSi. I thought it was an amazing idea and I couldn't believe that I had never heard of BC before then!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Did you buy a book in a sale or charity shop that had a sticker?
Word of mouth?
Or any other more unusual introduction?

Just for fun... :) I'd really like to know your stories!

Here's mine: I found out about book crossing and became a member when I received a book from Read it Swap it, which had a BC label inside. So bookwormkt is my referring member as she registered the book and sent it to me on RiSi. I thought it was an amazing idea and I couldn't believe that I had never heard of BC before then!
Profile Image

Yes I did, when on a campertrip in Germany. I was so surprised to find a book I could take with me dat when I got home I wrote a JE and on the next trip took it to Denmark where I released it again. Never heard of the book again but the idea was born. I became a member of BC and enjoyed it ever since. I'm active at the Fora and especially the Dutch forum. I release books every day and since I am the only active member in our village the whole place is my OBCZ :-)
I met lots of friendly people, some in persone, and I am very happy BC is part of my life.
Profile Image
Looking at the Answers to Questions section as always, there was a question that intrigued me. The question went something like:
What was the name of the group that left books on benches for others to read?
The answer was Bookcrossing.com.

I ripped the small piece out of the newspaper and brought it home to the UK. After a couple of days at home, I found it again in the suitcase and googled Bookcrossing. I Instantly joined and started to navigate my way around the site and releasing books. My first wild release catch came in a month later for a childrens book which I had left in a café.

Nearly 10 years later, nearly 8000 books released and just over 600 wild releases caught, I'm still very much in the habit of Bookcrossing!!
Profile Image
I had missed my train home from college and had to wait another hour for one, luckly at the train station, there was a bookcrossing book left on one of the benches. I read that why I waited for my train adnd was really excited about the idea. However when I got home I forgot about it, for 5 years :O Then when I was spring cleaning my bookshelf, I came across it again and this time tapped in the bcid and not looked back since :)
Profile Image
back when it was free. I was looking for a crochet group and found a mention of bookcrossing:) Yes, I do tend to free associate (wander)!
There was a very active bookcrosser in my area, Avanta7, who was very encouraging. Unfortunately, she has moved away and no longer participates in BC. She was a great inspiration and she caught my first wild release.
Profile Image
I read about bookcrossing in "Die Tageszeitung" in 2003/2004. I did not have a computer at that time, but thought bookcrossing was a really great idea.
In 2004/2005 I read another artikel in "Meier". At that time I had my first laptop and had a few looks on the website. But the internet access was really really slow at that time (remember having enough time to make coffee inbetween opening a new page?), so I thought bookcrossing is still a great idea, but not really practical.
And than I forgot about bookcrossing again.
On a boring sunday afternoon in May 2008 I suddenly remembered again, joined and stayed :-)
Profile Image
I saw a newspaper article, almost 12 years ago. I looked it up and joined that afternoon. Found a few books I was willing to part with and registered them and released them later that week. I still haven't heard from those books, but have heard from several others since then.
Profile Image
Reader's Digest had an article about it and I was hooked.
Profile Image
Reader's Digest had an article about it and I was hooked.

That's where I found it, too!

Profile Image
I forget. I think I may have read about it on another chat forum...maybe on engrish.com? Or possibly another site that was Harry Potter centered that I used to go to years ago. I forget it's name.

I do remember that I bought release materials and gave them to a friend for her birthday before I ever actually joined myself. Naturally my friend has never gotten interested. :)
Profile Image
we were learning presentation skills. We had to stand up in front of the group and talk about something we are passionate about, for 2 mins, with very little notice. A lady in the group talked about BC, I'd never heard of it before and was hooked before her 2 mins were up! She very kindly hid a few books for me the following week :)
Profile Image
Why did she hide them?
Profile Image
Because I really wanted to find books in the wild!! So instead of handing them to me she hid them all over for me to look for :)
Profile Image

Oh Wow!

These are all amazing stories!! Thanks so much for sharing them with me, now I feel like I know you all a little better :) You've brightened up my day! Keep them coming...
Profile Image
I looked at the site and joined but didn't really become active until several months later. I love the idea, wish we had more active Bcers here in the Lexington/Columbia area, but have "met" some wonderful folk around the world.
Profile Image
heard it mentioned in an on line book club that Barnes & Noble used to have. That was enough to perk my interests, I had to check it out and I've been hooked ever since.
Profile Image
...and decided I had better take a look. Like most of us, I thought what a great way of sharing my books I knew I would not reread, only to end up with way more books these days and an addiction I share with thousands around the world!
Profile Image
while we were on lunch during a court case in the city. I didn't take much notice of it until I found another one 6 months later at my local library and looked up Bookcrossing.com and joined up.

Soon after, Mum did too.
Profile Image
The first I had heard of Bookcrossing came when I found a wild-released book at a bed and breakfast inn in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada, back in 2003. Like a lot of inns, it had a place for books for their guests to read. One of them was marked up with Bookcrossing stickers, and it turned out to have been released by solittletime much closer to where we live--it was released at a hotel in Portland, Maine, USA (about an hour southwest of us) and had managed to cross the border, to about 4.5 hours east of us.
Profile Image
In the fall of 2004 I read an interview of the Norwegian author Ingvar Anbjørnsen where he talked about bookcrossing and that his wife was a bookcrosser. He told about how she would leave books on park benches and then people would run after her and tell her she forgot her book. I thought this sounded like fun, but waited til the summer the next year to join. I spend the time reading and picking out the books I would register.
Profile Image
Walked past it a few times first, as I wasn't sure if someone had left it by accident. When I picked it up and read about BookCrossing I couldn't believe I'd never heard of it before! I've been hooked since then! :)
Profile Image
I was reading a beading website which had forums, and one of the posters (who was in Philadelphia, so in my area) had a little blurb about BookCrossing in her signature line. I checked it out and thought it was the coolest thing! I have no idea who that member was, unfortunately.

At the beginning I could not imagine why people weren't snapping up all my releases and journaling them instantly... that's a disappointment all of us early zealots have to get over.
Profile Image
This was around 2007 and I joined then but just read the newsletters and various stuff on the website for a few years and finally registered and released my first books in 2010. Have now registered over 800 books and finally found my first ever book in the wild a couple of weeks ago and was thrilled about it.
Profile Image
I STILL don't get why most folks aren't interested.
Releasing books in the wild! Finding books in the wild! What's not to like??!

Must be an awful lot of pedestrian brains out there. :)
Profile Image
and was searching the internet for other fun activities like geocaching and stumbled across bookcrossing. It's very rare I geochache anymore but am still an active bookcrosser.
Profile Image
My story is a little unusual. I was looking for mentions of some books I had translated into greek, and I found a dialogue between two persons using nicknames. The first had given to the other a book I had translated from the italian and was urging her to read it. Of course I was intrigued. Back then I had no idea about nicknames, discussion fora etc. I joined and soon I had the chance to meet in person these two ladies who were among the founding members of BC in Greece.
Profile Image
I joined and soon I had the chance to meet in person these two ladies who were among the founding members of BC in Greece.

How nice!
Profile Image
That's very cool!
Profile Image
They had a little blurb about it and I couldn't resist checking it out.
Profile Image
Long, long ago, I subscribed to a little email newsletter that suggested new websites to check out. I've always brought second-hand books with me on vacation, then left them behind. I had a vacation coming up, and the thought of finding out what happens to the books was intriguing. As it turned out, the books were never heard from again; there were no forums yet, and thus no advice on the best places to leave books.
Profile Image
A friend told me about it, and I thought it sounded fascinating. I was right--it is. :-)
Profile Image
my husband showed it to me and I went to this site. I liked what I saw and joined.
Profile Image
but for some reason my reading habits came up in conversation when my librarian daughter was passing the time of day with a work colleague, who said she had a book I might enjoy, would bring it into the library for me the following day, and didn't want it back!
The friend was Mai-day
The book was Axe for an Abbot
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/2222450/
And the rest is history ....
I've been a BookCrossing Addict ever since!
Mai-day has been known to say that she created a monster ....
Profile Image
I learned of it through meetup.com.
Decided to check it out and here I am.
Profile Image
I was interviewing another BCer for a job at the company I worked at (almost 12 years ago!) and we got to talking about our dream job of owning our own bookstore..and she mentioned bookcrossing to me. She mentioned it several times again after she was hired.... It took me another month or so before actually came to the site - I had to so she would stop mentioning it! Then I was hooked. That BCer was wordfiendca who is, sadly, no longer an active BCer.
Profile Image
The book was The Secret Life of Bees which my book club chose to read in 2005. One of the reviews I read was on BookCrossing and I started reading more about the site. I was especially interested in the bookrings and rays plus I had a bookshelf full of books that I was never going to read again. I registered a few books and released them. The third one I released was caught and the finder joined. It was mrsgaskell. Thus started a beautiful friendship. Although she died much too young I still feel privileged to have met her and it never would have happened without BookCrossing.
Profile Image

It suprises me

how few people found bookcrossing through social media or internet. Maybe bookcrossing should be profiled more on the net.
Profile Image
how few people found bookcrossing through social media or internet.

I wonder if we book people just aren't as into social media as the public at large. I know there are quite a few of us bookcrossers who aren't on Facebook or Twitter and don't have any interest in it.
Profile Image
I know there are quite a few of us bookcrossers who aren't on Facebook or Twitter and don't have any interest in it.

You can count me in those!
Profile Image
You can count me in those!

And me :-)
Profile Image
*holds up hand*
Profile Image
Maybe bookcrossing should be profiled more on the net.

I have a link up from LibraryThing to Facebook, and there is one from Bookcrossing to Facebook, but the last few times I tried to use it, I couldn't get it to work. I don't know if it's just me, but if it's not working for everyone and if it could be fixed, that would help to spread the word.

There are a good many of us on Facebook, and also on Twitter (but I'm not on Twitter).
Profile Image
Another here with NO interest in FB, etc.
Profile Image
Most people who found bookcrossing one way or another, if it is through finding a free book, or a newspaperarticle, or another way, don't become involved in bookcrossing at all. Why did you?
Profile Image
Why did you?

On campertrips I left the books I finished behind. BC seemed a great way to hear from them again.
At home: the usual. A bookcase full of books I've read and were gathering dust.
Profile Image
I was curious. It seemed like a good idea, to leave books for others to find with the possibility of learning who got them, where they went, if they were enjoyed. Sadly, most of my wild releases remain unjournaled but I still carry on!
Profile Image
Hmm...Tough to answer.

Tough because, as I posted above, I just don't "get" why most folks AREN'T interested.
I really can't tell you why I am; it just seems so obviously cool to me. Who WOULDN'T be interested in this concept???!

Well, clearly, many people! Their loss.
Profile Image
I got into it because there are so many people who may read a book if there was one there 'waiting' for them. A lot of people never read anything maybe not even a magazine, they get their information through the TV mostly.
I was interested in getting people reading as a way of gaining information, with any luck enriching their lives - who knows?

Of course, there is World Book night but I've been doing this for nearly 10 years, WBN is merely a puppy compared.

Also I've had journal entries where the finder has appreciated that someone left a 'gift' for them to find. One entry said that they hadn't spoken to anybody for days and the book was a way of someone contacting them albeit anonymously.
Profile Image
I forget how he initially discovered Bookcrossing, but I do remember that he was excited to tell me about it as I'm an avid reader and all. My hubby isn't much of a reader and he isn't a member of Bookcrossing.
Profile Image
I used to travel a lot for my job. On one of many taxi rides to Canberra airport I was chatting to a lovely cab driver about travel and books and he told me about Bookcrossing and he had books in the seat pockets of the cab. So I selected one, a John Grisham, read it on one of the flights and left it at Brisbane airport. The cab driver was Skyring, Canberra's most famous book crosser.

I don't have enough time at the moment to do a lot of Bookcrossing but what I do I enjoy.
Profile Image
My elderly aunt watched a Dr. Phil show and decided I had a book addiction. She wanted me to give away some books before I bought new ones. But not one of my friends wanted to take them. I was talking to a new coworker and she told me about book crossing. She took some of my books. She became a fan of the Rei Shamura books. She joined book crossing and took her name from one of the books.
So thanks Dr. Phil and floatingirl! 10 years of book crossing
Profile Image
I heard a friend talk about it, and thought it was a great idea. At the time, it wasn't any activity in Norway, so I decided on not doing anything about it. Then, a couple of years (I think it must have been) later, it started to pick up, so I went ahead and registered. That was September 2004. I will have my 10 year anniversary in September, and it has been 10 fun years.
Profile Image
because I was fascinated by the idea of being able to track my books. Although I've been quite lucky with wild catches I still get disappointed with all the ones that don't get journalled. I wonder how over 800 books that I've registered and a lot more that have passed through my hands can "remain silent" instead of "phoning home" more often.
Profile Image

Wild Book!

Nine years ago, I found a "wild book" at Home Depot on a f-f-f-freezing, -22C (-8F) winter night. My kitchen pipes were in danger of bursting, and I needed some pipe insulation. As I reached up for a box of the insulation, I felt something on top of the box. It was a dog-eared paperback with a big "sticky" that read: "I'M NOT LOST, I'M FREE!". The book title: "THE WINTER OF OUR DISCONTENT" - by John Steinbeck, and co-incidentally, the first Steinbeck novel I read (about 25 years earlier). As a book lover, this was so intriguing to me. I went home and immediately made a Journal Entry, joined up, and a little while later, I got a reply from the "releaser", Jessibud. A few more messages went back and forth, and we agreed to meet for coffee (or was it ice cream?). I can speak wisely now, that Bookcrossing is a very karmic thing…but I didn't know it back then. The first karmic thing…(aside from finding the book just a couple of days after its release)….Jessibud worked with one of my best friends in special education! Well…the rest is history. We're really good pals now, and continue to hold meet ups, swap books, talk about birds, go to movies, play Scrabble…etc. (And all because my pipes were freezing. Who says winter is a bad thing?)
Profile Image
Winter is NEVER a bad thing.
Profile Image
Our Aussie family was on a skiing holiday in Beaver Creek, Colorado, in January 2008, staying at The Charter. I was browsing the book exchange shelf when I came across Bill Bryson's - A Walk in the Woods, with a sticker on the cover I had never seen before.....the book had been released by Desilina of Durango. The rest is history - I'm totally hooked - initially the motivation was all about the books (clearing my shelves, etc), now it is all about the people I have met on my BC journey.
Profile Image
Someone mentioned it somewhere on the forums on here:

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/

Of course, BC was inspired by and patterned on Where's George.

Profile Image
I was looking at the books in my local charity shop and someone handed me the book theif by Markus zusak it was a WBN2012 edition so I hot home and as I'd never herd of WBN looked up the website and the website brought me here to bookcrossing. I've never looked back
Profile Image
And I came across a book. I really wish I could recall the title. I don't think I journaled it here. I was going thru an eBay buying binge at the time, as that was the new thing at the time. I had a lot of books (or so it seemed then) and I really planned to just sell my books as I finished them.

Plans are funny. I had a lot of things going on at the same time, including a job with a very, very long commute. I needed a lot of audiobooks. I got most of these thru eBay and one or two via geocaching... but there wasn't a lot of cash to be had what with the GAS PRICES being over a dollar a gallon.... so, if I recall correctly, I think I might have joined as a way to get some cheap audiobooks... they were certainly my most common bookboxes to sign up for for awhile.

But what really made me active and a devoted Bookcrosser are the milestones and friends. I can track what I read and where I've been. And the books sometimes come back to me in the form of journal entries and I find these entries so endearing... even the entries saying they were going to burn this book or that this book was falling apart or something weird made me feel the books were alive out in the world.

My interest level and involvement here have always been in flux. And BC has always been alright with that. When I feel the need to be social, I could meet people thru BC. When I feel the need to rant, ask for support, brag, or just ignore everything, BC keeps plugging along.

Granted, Facebook is stealing most of that ranting, bragging, and sympathy needy time these days but all that was just a bonus here in BC Land. BC is where my books live now.

Also, without Bookcrossing, I'd be a dreadful hoarder, I'm sure.
Profile Image
I was getting this German\English penpal magazine called letternet.de in the magazine their was an ad for bookcrossing

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.