Journal entry pictures turn sideways

Forum » Site Questions: Basic and Advanced » Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Any photo I took with my iPhone I first uploaded to my laptop, resized and saved it, then uploaded it to the journal entry. It then appeared the right way around.

I do that but don't resize them. Works for me without resizing.

Complete Thread
This happens to me most of the time: I take a picture, it is right side up - I upload it to a JE page and it is sideways. Any clues how to keep this from happening? Thanks!
here is an example: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15165236

I never have this problem - I use a digital camera, not a smart phone, and download the photos to my PC for editing before I try to upload them to my release notes. Yeah, I'm old school... {wry grin}. I realize that that's not much consolation to the people with the up-to-date devices!

This problem gets reported a lot, and out of curiosity I Googled the symptoms, and came across a number of articles about device settings, default encodings, and other complications - here's one example:

https://www.geek.com/---/why-iphone-pictures-flip-when-emailed-and-how-to-fix-it-1602306/

That one's from 2014 and refers to iPhone controls, so it may not apply - but it might be of use to someone. And maybe there's a similar workaround for other devices...

The picture in your example looks correct to me. Has it corrected itself or did you change it?

I used to have this problem. I *think* I solved it by first sending the picture to my computer, then from the computer to the JE, like a two-step process. But I'm not sure that was what fixed it.

Good luck!

But if I ever posted about it, it looked correct to everyone else and so I assume it corrected itself.

This happens to me most of the time: I take a picture, it is right side up - I upload it to a JE page and it is sideways. Any clues how to keep this from happening? Thanks!
here is an example: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15165236

There have been multiple posts/threads about this in the past but, of course, I can't find them at the moment.

I've had this problem too with photos taken and uploaded directly from an iPhone. It got to the point where I just stopped doing it. Any photo I took with my iPhone I first uploaded to my laptop, resized and saved it, then uploaded it to the journal entry. It then appeared the right way around.

I dropped and broke my iPhone a month or so ago and now have a new (Android) phone. I haven't tried uploading photos with my new phone so can't say if it's a universal problem or just with some phones.

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15165236

For what it's worth, the photo I see in the above example is showing the right way around. If it's still showing sideways for you it might be a cookie thing...

Any photo I took with my iPhone I first uploaded to my laptop, resized and saved it, then uploaded it to the journal entry. It then appeared the right way around.

I do that but don't resize them. Works for me without resizing.

It works by resizing them with any photo app.

And I never have it with pictures that are taken as “landscape”, only in “portrait”. So I actually stopped taking pictures in “portrait” for JE’s.

If I edited the photo on my iPhone to be a square this used to solve the problem, but doesn’t seem to be working now.

What does seem to work is if you reduce the file size. If you want to be able to upload from your phone, you can edit the photos on an app on your phone (and square or landscape orientation works best). Or you can email the photos to yourself. When I email photos from my iphone, i am asked if I want to reduce the file size of the photos, I always say yes and the photos are automatically resized. Then I can open that email, save the photos back to my phone, and upload them from my camera roll.

So I have never had this problem.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.