Purpose of the colored bars in the book search?

Forum » Site Questions: Basic and Advanced » Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

... I noticed these when I used the general search, with the books and authors checkbox selected, not searching individual books.

Complete Thread
This is definitely a non-urgent question, purely from curiosity. I've been so absent from BC that today was the first time I used the book search on the updated website. I noticed the colored bars along the left side of each title that came up, but couldn't seem to figure out why particular books had particular colors. (Long green, medium-length orange, or short red.) As far as I could tell looking at a random sampling of the results, it didn't seem to be tied to the number of copies registered, status of copies, or how closely the result matched the search terms. Does anyone know how those get assigned?

Thank you for any insights!

... I noticed these when I used the general search, with the books and authors checkbox selected, not searching individual books.

Um... I'm not seeing these? What search options were you using, and what device/browser? It sounds rather fun!

Update: just saw your second post - I've never used the "General" search page that way. Trying it, I see the bars too. Am guessing it has to do with the number of hits; if I float the cursor over the little bar I get a "448 search rank" or equivalent.

[When I use the "general" page it's to search my own journal entries for specific text; for book-searches I use the advanced book-search page. Never occurred to me to try the "general" page for books before!]

Update: just saw your second post - I've never used the "General" search page that way. Trying it, I see the bars too. Am guessing it has to do with the number of hits; if I float the cursor over the little bar I get a "448 search rank" or equivalent.

[When I use the "general" page it's to search my own journal entries for specific text; for book-searches I use the advanced book-search page. Never occurred to me to try the "general" page for books before!]

I normally use the book search too, but had tried just clicking the search icon at the top and typing in a title, and was surprised to see the result. I kind of like it as a (slightly) more direct way to get to the Global Overview page.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.