[Answered] Accept friend requests!?

Forum » Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Previously it was very easy to accept and decline friend requests here at bookcrossing, with the + and - buttons on the friends page.
But now, I only see the profile photo of those who have sent me a friend requst, and when I click it I come to their profile. It doesn't seem logical to click "+ Request [member name] as a friend" to confirm the friend request that someone already has sent me. But seriously, I don't see any other options... Am I just overlooking something? Or do I actually have to click "+ Request [member name] as a friend" to confirm the request?

It doesn't seem logical to click "+ Request [member name] as a friend" to confirm the friend request that someone already has sent me.

I agree that it doesn't seem logical, but it does work!

It doesn't seem logical to click "+ Request [member name] as a friend" to confirm the friend request that someone already has sent me.

I agree that it doesn't seem logical, but it does work!

Thanks for the answer! It it possible to make a change that makes it more logical again, please?

It it possible to make a change that makes it more logical again, please?

Possible, sure. Happening soon, or at all... no one knows.

Thanks for posting this question and answer! I received a friend request today, the first since the new site rolled out, I was so confused! I tried on my phone and laptop.

But...
I did try the suggestion of clicking "+ Request [member name] as a friend" and the yellow banner came up saying confirmed, but when I look at my friend list, the person is not on it. Instead, she is still under the 'Request Received' list, not the 'Verified' list.

Edit: She's now not only in the 'Requests Received' list but also not in the 'Requests Sent' list. Very frustrating. :/ I've asked her to check her lists to see what it says.

Edit: ok. All has righted itself. It just took a bit with caching or something. But I still see this as a negative especially with new people who join bookcrossing. The way to accept a friend request is not intuitive and then it appears at first to not even work. Most will be even more confused than I was by this procedure. :/

I just received my first friend request since this changed and was also really confused about how to accept it. I could not find an answer in the FAQs, so searched the forum for an answer (thanks for posting this question!). I think this would be very confusing for new users.

Had no idea how to accept friend requests as there is no button to confirm or deny and no accurate instructions.

I came into the forums to ask this very question. I agree it's very confusing!

I have a similar (but different) question. How do I decline a friend request? I've received a request from someone who has been a member for one day. I don't know them, have had no interaction with them and don't wish to be a friend.

Go to your Friends page, choose the 'Requests Received' tab (for you, that's https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/received ) and then...
Um...
Huh!

I guess you could 'add them as a friend', and then immedately remove them... I don't think they'd get any notifications, but I'm unsure.
Okay: this is a bad interface. Confusing, not intuitive.

I tried an experiment with the friend-related URLs, and was able to remove a friend-request; here's the format (note that the "{magicnumber}" portion will vary by BCer):

"https://www.bookcrossing.com/removefriend/{magicnumber}/sent/"

What I did was go to my friend-request page, find an entry that I wanted to remove, click on their profile, right-click on the "request as a friend" link, and copy the URL, which looks like this:

"https://www.bookcrossing.com/addfriend/{magicnumber}/sent/"

The "{magicnumber}" bit is either the user's internal database number or the number of the request, not sure which. Anyway, I edited the URL to change "addfriend" to "removefriend" and let it go, and it seemed to work!

Apparently during the last site-revamp/tweak, the "decline/remove" feature was left out of the interface, but the function still seems to work if you're willing to cobble together the URL. (I don't think it would hurt anything if you got the wrong URL, though it might result in your unfriending somebody you wanted to keep.)

If I don't want to friend them, I just ignore the request. I've never thought about declining, I just ignore it.

I've put it on the List Of Things To Be Improved.

Then I immediately took them off the friend list, but they are still there in the Requests Received list. I can't get rid of hem.

Then I immediately took them off the friend list, but they are still there in the Requests Received list. I can't get rid of hem.

It takes a bit to clear but they're going latest at night ...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.