[Answered] Pre-numbered labels

Forum » Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Can anyone tell me what picture, (ie uncon labels) was on the pre-numbered labels I've bought. I seem to have 50 on my profile and I can't find the labels. It is very possible I have mislaid them but if I knew the picture on them, I may trigger some memories. Is this a support question or is it OK here?

If you create a URL with the public portion of the BCID, like this:

"https://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/14540433"

then you should be able to see the associated label image.

BUT: if you are seeing the same side effects that I've seen from ordering prenumbered labels, those prenums on your list may NOT be still-unused printed labels; instead, they may be extra sets of prenums. I've noticed several occasions when I ordered, say, 12 prenums and wound up with 36 new prenumbered BCIDs on my list, 12 of them matching the actual labels and two more sets that would display the same label-photo when I activated them but that were not associated with actual labels from my order.

I don't know what causes this; possibly something in the set-up-the-labels-for-printing process that accidentally generates new sets of numbers for each stage? Since I discovered what was happening, I was able to use the bonus BCIDs - I either hand-write them onto blank labels or use the wings-feature to reprint them on the site's default 2x4-inch labels. (Note: the "reprint" option only works for 10 at a time, and can go wrong if multiple sets have the same 3-digit prefix; if you try this,be very careful with the numbers so you don't wind up giving the same BCID to multiple books.)

I can't see any image. Going by the date they were possibly for the Oslo convention but I don't think I would have bought 50 - but I can't remember. Apart from that I'm sure I've used some.

... and see if I can find anything in your Store order list that fits the bill.

I'm seeing an order placed in May 2018 which consists of two packs of custom bookplates; one is a pack of 25 of the Loughborough Unconvention bookplates, the other has the caption 'Live Life Like a Book...'
I have no easy way to dig up the image for that one, but it can be done in case it matters.

If no bookplate picture shows up, I would suspect that these were not in fact store bought bookplates, but the free printable Pre-numbered labels.

As far as I know, that is correct.

When I click to get free pre-nums they show up on that list too, but they are just ones I print myself, not ones I've purchased, so no pictures.

When I get click to get free pre-nums they show up on that list too, but they are just ones I print myself, not ones I've purchased, so no pictures.

I can't remember doing that either. I usually buy pre-numbered labels for conventions and uncons. So how would I print them out?

So how would I print them out?

You have wings, so you should see a link for "reprint this set of labels" next to your unused prenums. (If you don't see such a link, perhaps there's a problem with that feature, but it was working for me a couple of weeks ago.) If you click on it, you should get a PDF file of the standard 2x4 labels with those BCIDs. But do preview the file carefully to make sure that it includes only the unused BCIDs from your list. And if your unused BCIDs are in groups of other than 10 (such as my example above when I buy 12 prenums from the store and get two extra sets of 12 BCIDs), the reprint feature will only print the first 10.

Can anyone tell me what picture, (ie uncon labels) was on the pre-numbered labels I've bought. I seem to have 50 on my profile and I can't find the labels. It is very possible I have mislaid them but if I knew the picture on them, I may trigger some memories. Is this a support question or is it OK here?

On the drop down list by earthcaroleanne's books on your profile page, the very last item on the list is Pre-numbered labels.
You can also find them here: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/prenumbered

Ignoring the first one on the list, it appears you have 2 x batches of 25 store bought Bookplates. Ones starting 172-145xxxx and ones starting 541-145xxxx.

My suggestion would be to use one of these to register a book and then the picture of what the label looks like will show up on the registered book's page.
If the labels can't be found, you can always add a note in the JE saying that you used a different bookplate/label.

If no bookplate picture shows up, I would suspect that these were not in fact store bought bookplates, but the free printable Pre-numbered labels.

Happy to be corrected by Moem if this is not correct.

So, I used up all my pre-numbered labels that I had ordered and accepted these other ones were pre-numbered labels for printing by myself. However, not having the facility to print any more I thought I would just use them up by writing the numbers on blank labels. Unfortunately I have now had a message from a bookcrosser that they had a BCID registered to another book and tonight I have tried to review a book myself where I guess I hadn't finished registering the book, which I assume is what happened to the previous one. It might just be a one-off (or two) but what if I now have books out there with pre-numbered labels, not finished - and books with hand written labels, finished. I suppose I just have to accept this is a possibility and hope it is bookcrossers that have my mistakes.

Did the finder say that the book they found had a printed prenumbered label? It's worth double-checking the number, too; if someone makes a typo in the public part of the BCID, such that it shares the prefix with another valid BCID, they wouldn't get an error message but would wind up journaling (or activating, if the BCID hadn't previously been activated) the wrong number.

Or it could be your mistake, if you released books with not-yet-activated prenums, and then didn't keep track of the numbers you'd used. If you normally activate them all, this could be a one-off as you said. If you've already released the hand-written-label books as well, there isn't a lot you can do about it now... This would be a time when the low odds of a JE might help {rueful grin}, as what people don't know won't puzzle them!

For the specific book that the other BCer reported, if you're sure that they've got the right BCID and it is one of yours, you could edit the book-details to match the book they actually found - and add a JE about the duplicate-BCID situation, in case somebody finds and journals the other book with that BCID down the line. [That's if I'm understanding the situation - I know this can get confusing!]

Yes, this was a was printed pre-numbered label that I fortunately sent to an established bookcrosser. So it is my mistake - they have removed my label so I can correct my mistake because I've already given this number to another book. It seems I put this label in a WBN book and then released it on the original WBN number at the back, not on the one on my label - so hopefully it is a one-off. Fingers crossed. I'm not doing self printing pre-numbered labels again.

that I fortunately sent to an established bookcrosser.

Lucky you! So at least you can make corrections. Good job.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.