[Answered] Have wings but no more pre-numbered labels?

Forum » Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
I click the 10 or 100 pre-numbered option but it tells me I have too many numbers in use. I have registered nearly all the books I have pre-printed for. Some are in the wild and IDK when they will ever be registered. I have so many more books to release. Going by hand is so time consuming for me as a little free library steward of a busy location, and sometimes it is nice to have a bunch of labels ready for special events / quick releases.
How can I get restrictions removed or is this feature done with in the new site upgrade?

I have a dim memory of some kind of upper limit being placed on the prenums, but I can't remember the details. If there is one, I'd imagine it's pretty high, intended to stop people from (accidentally?) allocating hundreds of prenums at a time when they didn't really mean to use them. Looking at your bookshelf, it doesn't seem to me that you should have run into a limit yet, at least not unless you've been allocating hundreds of prenums without activating them - but you said you'd registered most of the prenums, which to me means you did activate them. When you view your prenum list from your profile page, how many pages of unactivated prenums are there?

Edited to add: do you ever buy prenumbered labels from the Supply Store? If so, it's possible that you have a few extra sets of prenums over and above those for which you have labels. I noticed this after some of my orders: I'd order, say, 12 prenumbered labels, and wind up with 36 new prenums on my list, only 12 of which matched the labels I got. So - with some careful bookkeeping to make sure I didn't use the same BCID on more than one book - I'd use the extras, clearing my unactivated-prenums list again. If you have more unactivated prenums than you have labels, perhaps that's the reason.

I click the 10 or 100 pre-numbered option but it tells me I have too many numbers in use. I have registered nearly all the books I have pre-printed for. Some are in the wild and IDK when they will ever be registered. I have so many more books to release. Going by hand is so time consuming for me as a little free library steward of a busy location, and sometimes it is nice to have a bunch of labels ready for special events / quick releases.
How can I get restrictions removed or is this feature done with in the new site upgrade?

This is true, I had this also. It is only for pre-numbered labels with no registered book, so either ones you have not used yet, or ones you have used to release and let the bookfinder register the booktitle and such.
It is not done with the new site update, but actually with the former site update. There is no way to get restrictions removed with wings or something, as far as I know.

I have registered nearly all the books I have pre-printed for. Some are in the wild and IDK when they will ever be registered.

You say you have registered them, but you don't know if they will ever be registered, so I'm confused.

Did you activate the pre-numbered labels by going to Make a Journal Entry and entering the book title, author etc so the books are actually registered? This might make a difference in how many unused labels the site thinks you have outstanding.

The issue here is that you have 6 pages of unused BCID's from pre-numbered labels you have already downloaded. 135 unused BCID's to be precise.
These need to be used before downloading more.
See here: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/prenumbered

I had no idea I could see my unused BCID's!
Now, in the early days of using pre-nums I released the books with labels without registering the label first. I was at a farmer's market with no internet.... What to do? Do I register the number to a new book because it may never be registered by the people who claimed the book in the wild and hope they contact me if they try and there is an error? Or make a guess as to which numbers that might be and leave them waiting?

Thanks for the help in learning!

Do I register the number to a new book because it may never be registered by the people who claimed the book in the wild and hope they contact me if they try and there is an error?

I would not. Having two books with the same number would screw up the whole purpose of tracking if/when someone ever gets around to trying to journal the first one.

and in my opinion...

BookCrossing has very few rules, but the one important one is: One book, one BCID. If you end up using the same BCID on another book because no one has entered the book info yet on an earlier release you'd be breaking the most important rule of BookCrossing, so that's another reason I don't recommend it.

wingMoemwing 1 yr ago
RE: Thanks!
Or make a guess as to which numbers that might be and leave them waiting?

If you can make an informed guess based on the registration date (or the date that the BCID was generated), and err on the side of caution where you aren't certain... then that might be a decent option.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.