Dear Green Santa - What's your wish for the planet this Christmas?

Forum » Community Bulletin Board | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Hello all Bookcrossers
Can you help spread the word and help establish a new yearly tradition?
There's a new Santa in town and he wants to hear what your wish for the planet is this Christmas. What beautiful things do you want to see in the world?
Visit: deargreensanta.org and post your letters, videos and drawings on social media with the hashtag #GreenSanta
Tell your family, friends, and anyone you like!

(I will post this on deargreensanta.org too.) Nestlé was taking up to 1 million litres of water per day from a well near our house for several years. (Only one of many wells they owned in Ontario.) Nestlé asked for an exemption during drought times, even though farmers weren't exempt. And, what kind of person says openly, that safe drinking water is not a human right? (C.E.O. of Nestlé, that's who.) Anyway....after some pressure, they have closed up their water bottling business here. A good thing? Well, another company has moved in on their business. Please, people - use your own permanent water bottle, and fill it up. Don't buy plastic-bottled water. It should only be used in emergencies, where there is no alternative. By the way, Nestlé now owns San Pellegrino and Perrier. As for plastic bags.....I have SO many Bookcrossing bags, I should be chastised if I ever come home with a plastic bag from the grocery store. We all have a good collection of shopping bags, and need to remember to use them. I got a really great one from my son for Xmas. It folds right up into my little purse. Excellent gift.

Two of my own pet peeves. Unfortunately with resorting to online ordering for groceries we have accumulated hundreds of plastic bags. I'm hoping that when the pandemic is over there will be a way to recycle these. Before this when I was doing my own grocery shopping I always took reusable bags and I always have one of those small ones in my purse for times when I'm out and make a purchase. I have a couple of other favourites to help cut down on waste. I purchased a reusable sheet to use for lining cookie sheets and baking pans instead of using parchment paper. The one I use is called Cookina. It's probably not a perfect replacement but I used this one for a number of years and it's still performing perfectly. I also use beeswax wraps a lot to wrap food where I would have used plastic wrap. I bought one set of 3 from a local honey producer and then I found that Lee Valley would sell the resin pucks to make your own. I bought some and made a bunch for Christmas presents.

My other wish for the planet would be that all those people who consume a beverage or fast food and throw the packaging out on the street would have it all shoveled into their houses or apartments or rooms. Maybe then they would figure out how to take it to a garbage can.

My other wish for the planet would be that all those people who consume a beverage or fast food and throw the packaging out on the street would have it all shoveled into their houses or apartments or rooms. Maybe then they would figure out how to take it to a garbage can.

I can second that. Good idea.

We have been given some as gifts, and "Saran Wrap" is thing of the past now.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.