Releasing books as we travel the country

Forum » Community Bulletin Board | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
We are finishing a 2 week trip in our 5th wheel. Brought books with me, and left them along the way. I hope people find them and log them in! I have sooo many books never caught over the years, but I thought that releasing while travelling would get them to a variety of areas. Left some near Joplin, MO; Amarillo, TX and Alamogordo, NM.

Fingers crossed.
I always release lots of books while we are away with the camper and it's fun when people take the trouble to write an JE.

We are finishing a 2 week trip in our 5th wheel. Brought books with me, and left them along the way. I hope people find them and log them in! I have sooo many books never caught over the years, but I thought that releasing while travelling would get them to a variety of areas. Left some near Joplin, MO; Amarillo, TX and Alamogordo, NM.

Nice!! :O)

Sounds like a great trip; hope you get some JEs!

That’s cool. I wish you many catches!

We have a trailer that we travel with as well. In former years we have gone to New Mexico and Arizona for respite from the Canadian winter. I'm pretty sure I have released at least one book in Alamagordo as well. (Can't say I've gotten a catch from there though; maybe you will have more luck).

We have a trailer that we travel with as well. In former years we have gone to New Mexico and Arizona for respite from the Canadian winter. I'm pretty sure I have released at least one book in Alamagordo as well. (Can't say I've gotten a catch from there though; maybe you will have more luck).

Ahhhh...that brings back memories. When my Dad was young, he befriended a Canadian couple named Bobs and Jack that he met in Fiji, who would travel out of the country every year to avoid winter in Canada. I remember the six weeks they came to New Zealand to do just that. They stayed in a very posh hotel and said it was cheaper for them to travel than to pay for the heating to keep warm over winter. They were about 20-30 years older than my Dad (who is turning 70 this year) and I was probably around 12/13 when I met them. Lovely people. Dad kept in contact with them for years, eventually just through greeting cards at Christmas. Then all of a sudden communication stopped, and we think that one or perhaps both of them had died. This of course happened all before Social Media, but it is one of those amazing things, that to only see them twice in Dad's life, they all kept in contact for many years. And to this day, I marvel at the fact that it was cheaper to travel than to heat your home. It isn't that way here. Travel is expensive. We keep our fire going and when it is sunny, it's mostly warm too here in winter.

...I have found that releasing 2 or 3 in one place ups your chances of getting Journal Entries. We used to do a mass release at a book festival in Toronto called "Word on the Street" - i.e. about 40 books, and every one of them would be snapped up. It seems people are less suspicious/worried about picking up "books in a bunch". We got quite a few JE's too.

...I have found that releasing 2 or 3 in one place ups your chances of getting Journal Entries.

I don't know if that increases my own chance of JEs, but I like to do it anyway - for a different reason: if I've gone to the trouble of visiting a place I don't get to often, I like to keep it on the "go hunting" pages for as long as possible, so I try to release at least two books at each stop (or at least in each town). In the past I remember leaving one book, and getting a quick catch on it - which was lovely, but it meant that the release spot no longer showed on the hunting pages. [This certainly isn't a requirement, and I do sometimes leave single books, depending on circumstances, but as a habit I try for two-or-more per town.]

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.