Anybody else get this suspicious PM?

Forum » Community Bulletin Board | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
(All zeros re: books registered, etc. "Joined" October 27th, 2019) Hello Bookgirrl,
I am from Russia. I am a journalist, historian and artist. I am well-educated. My interests are books, arts, movie, photo, history, wildlife, astronomy, stamps, travel, music, science.
I hope my letter don’t disturb you. Anyway, please, don’t be offended or angry for receiving it. OK?
I enjoy reading English (70% of the Russians are English illiterate). However, British, American and any foreign titles are quite unavailable in Russia.
If you have unneeded/available English books, it would be very kind of you to find an opportunity to send them to me. Of course, if it is not a big problem for you. I don’t want to look as someone who breaks rules. I just go hunting for available books. Thank you very much for your understanding.
I’d be much obliged you for your kindest sending to me ANY books on history, arts, wildlife, royalty, fashion, astronomy. Any unneeded to you English books.
I would be happy to send you anything you wish in exchange after receiving a packet with books from you. Let me know what you want.
I need from your available list the next titles:
Jubilee: A Celebration of 50 Years of the Reign of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Tim Graham, Patricia Burgess
Audrey Hepburn: An Intimate Portrait by Diana Maychick
The First World War by Editors of Life Magazine
People Magazine: 40 Years of Saturday Night Live by J.I. Baker

I’d be grateful for any or all if possible. Please reply.
My address
Mstislav Knyazev
Parkovskaya ul., 6 – 36
Orekhovo-Zuevo, Moscow region
142600 Russia
[email address edited out by BC Support]
Thank you

Mst25
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/Mst25

If you don't trust it, don't reply. I wouldn't.
You can report it to support and they can block the acount.

I wouldn't call that suspicious. The person is quite upfront about what they want. There's no ruse here.
Of course, you do not have to say yes or even to reply at all, and they shouldn't be writing to people out of the blue like that. I think a message to Support would be in order, they have a text that explains why this is not what BC is for, and that they can send to members in cases like this.

I've gotten a friend request and two similar PMs (a more general one on October 30 and then one on November 5 asking for _specific_ books) from this same person. I just ignored them.

originalslicey 1 yr ago
Yes
I also thought it was suspicious and ignored it.

What do you suspect?

To me, it looks like just another of the begging emails that are so common on Bookcrossing.

To me, it looks like just another of the begging emails that are so common on Bookcrossing.

I mostly thought it was rude: someone who thinks that this is a place to score free books.

I mostly thought it was rude

I thought it was incredibly polite!

"I hope my letter don’t disturb you. Anyway, please, don’t be offended or angry for receiving it"

"it would be very kind of you to find an opportunity to send them to me. Of course, if it is not a big problem for you. I don’t want to look as someone who breaks rules. I just go hunting for available books. Thank you very much for your understanding."

"I’d be much obliged you for your kindest sending to me"

"I would be happy to send you anything you wish in exchange"

"I’d be grateful for any or all if possible."

How is any of that "rude"?

someone who thinks that this is a place to score free books.

Gee, just like a lot of the folks who hang out in the RABCK forum.

Gee, just like a lot of the folks who hang out in the RABCK forum.

with the 'small' difference that the books there are offered.

I mostly thought it was rude

I thought it was incredibly polite!

"I hope my letter don’t disturb you. Anyway, please, don’t be offended or angry for receiving it"

"it would be very kind of you to find an opportunity to send them to me. Of course, if it is not a big problem for you. I don’t want to look as someone who breaks rules. I just go hunting for available books. Thank you very much for your understanding."

"I’d be much obliged you for your kindest sending to me"

"I would be happy to send you anything you wish in exchange"

"I’d be grateful for any or all if possible."

How is any of that "rude"?

Although this person said they would be grateful to receive books, I have to say that I did find it a bit rude - perhaps bold is a better word. They are sending PM's to random people requesting books, and based on the original post, they will send books in return only when the books they have requested are received! "I would be happy to send you anything you wish in exchange after receiving a packet with books from you." It seems to me that they should send their books first before expecting to receive any.

Although this person said they would be grateful to receive books, I have to say that I did find it a bit rude - perhaps bold is a better word. They are sending PM's to random people requesting books, and based on the original post, they will send books in return only when the books they have requested are received! "I would be happy to send you anything you wish in exchange after receiving a packet with books from you." It seems to me that they should send their books first before expecting to receive any.

Someone who just registered, with -no- activity on their shelf, whose first action seems to be asking random strangers for books? That doesn't rate a response in my book.

The first message I got was on October 30 (account created on October 28) and was purely a request for free books:

I am from Russia.
British, American and any foreign titles are quite unavailable in Russia.
I’d be much obliged you for your kindest sending to me ANY books on history, arts, wildlife, royalty, fashion, astronomy, jewelry.
I need the biographies of US presidents, British royalty (George V and VI, EII, Prince Charles, queens consorts, Edward VII and VIII and earlier), European and other royalty (Boris III of Bulgaria – King of Mercy, Carol II – Playboy King, Faruk – The last pharaoh, Haile Selassie, Hirohito etc), books on US and Europe’s history, Cold War,
- Magazines History today, History (Nat. Geographic), Past and Present, Russian Review, Forbes, Cosmos, American Heritage, BBC Wildlife, BBC History, French Geo, Journal of Cold War Studies,
- Art magazines (Art Journal, Apollo, Tate magazine, Art History, Art in America,, Arts Review)
- Vogue Homme
- Newspapers Washington Post, NY Times, USA Today, the Times, Daily Telegraph, Guardian, Sun, any other from the UK + Herald Tribune

My address
<deleted>

Thank you.

Gay books are ok for me too.

Less than a week after that I got a friend request and a more polite request for books, similar to the one Bookgirrl got. I suspect that someone pointed them at the FAQ in between the two messages.

Still, only one of the books requested is actually in my possession, and I wouldn't ordinarily send a RABCK to someone with no activity on their shelf for the last month. I'm not spending postage on someone with nothing except a bunch of PMs.

I found it neither rude nor suspicious. It seemed quite polite to me. And offered to send something in return.

Some people may not know that this isn't a place to score free books. Then again, people do trade books all the time.

Nonetheless, if I had received it, I'd have ignored it, since I wild release my books and can't afford to send them overseas any more, though I used to.

But I wouldn't have thought it was suspicious, just something I wasn't interested in.

...to send 3 books (such as the ones she requested, which I don't have anymore) would be about $75.00. Canada has very high postage rates, esp. out of country. Anyway, I didn't reply, but I am going to go and see if there is any activity on the account (altho' I think it may have been deleted).

I think it's a good idea to post about them, especially if they're from newbies with no books registered. They may be well-intentioned-but-naive posts, or they may be part of a mass-mailing attack (aka "spam via PMs"), and the only way to know whether it's a persistent, ignoring-the-rules thing is if people post about it (and/or submit "FYI" notes to the support-line).

It's been a while since I got regular book-begging PMs, but when I did, I'd generally send one reply with pointers to the site FAQ and the various etiquette articles and forum threads. Some of the senders immediately started to follow the advice, registering books, observing good site etiquette, etc. - and others kept on sending "gimme a book" PMs, at which point I'd report them. (Repeated messages from someone whom you've asked not to contact you counts as a violation of site rules, so if you just want to say "got your message, can't help, please don't contact me again" that's fine.)

This example is indeed polite, but it reminded me of a BCer from days gone by who was actually fairly active in registering books, but also kept on sending book-request PMs (similarly detailed and polite) to people who'd told him flatly to stop. His argument was "it doesn't hurt anything, you can just delete my message if you aren't interested". I really grew to dislike that guy; he could go to the trouble to search bookshelves for titles to request but couldn't be bothered to keep track of the folks who asked him to leave them alone...

It's almost 2 months since I got the PM - still all zeros on that profile. Just FYI.

It seems more appropriate.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.