Bookcrossing Anniversary Convention Athens 2016: Dates

Forum » Community Bulletin Board » Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Looking forward to it! Dates will go in the diary and good luck with all your planning.

Thank you :)

Hello dear friends!

It is with great pleasure that we announce to you the dates during which the Anniversary Convention will take place in Athens in 2016. We will welcome you in Athens on Friday the 22nd of April and we will wave our goodbyes on Sunday the 24th.

Soon you will hear more from us, as we will introduce you our mascot any time now.

Hope to see you all in Athens to celebrate our passion for books, traveling, friendship and Life :)

wingmeganhwing 4 yrs ago
Woohoo
Looking forward to it! Dates will go in the diary and good luck with all your planning.

Thank you :)

Dates are in the diary!

Dates are in the diary!

Hope to see you here :)

Travel fund established as of right now! :D
It's far enough time-wise yet close enough geographically
for me to maybe actually make it to this one.

Travel fund established as of right now! :D
It's far enough time-wise yet close enough geographically
for me to maybe actually make it to this one.

Hope you can make it :)

I've never been to Greece before - am looking forward to it.

I've never been to Greece before - am looking forward to it.

Looking forward to meeting you :)

:)

I think I'll be there

I think I'll be there

Definitely!

[There really is no spam here. Really!]

wingMolyneuxwing 3 yrs ago
can't wait!
Looking forward to this already - will definitely be there! I'll also be releasing some books in Samos in June this year :)

I am definitively interested :-)

I am definitively interested :-)

me too

Possibly maybe

When can we get some more details about where in Athens the convention will be held? we would like to start organising the accommodation, etc. cheers.

When can we get some more details about where in Athens the convention will be held? we would like to start organising the accommodation, etc. cheers.

The Convention will be held Friday the 22nd of April and we will wave our goodbyes on Sunday the 24th.
We are trying to keep all the events of the Convention near, in a short walking distance, into the historical center of Athens - The Historic Triangle as we call it here.
For more information please contact at bc.an.con.athens2016@gmail.com

We are trying to keep all the events of the Convention near, in a short walking distance, into the historical center of Athens - The Historic Triangle as we call it here.
For more information please contact at bc.an.con.athens2016@gmail.com

Great, thanks for that information. By the way, I have changed my user name, I used to be 'rmjwold'
Can't wait to go to Athens!

We have our accommodation booked for the convention weekend. We will be at the Plaka Hotel. Thanks for the advice.

Looks very nice oozy67 Have you booked an Acropolis view? I did notice you have to pay extra for wifi. I wonder if that is standard in Athens?

Looks very nice oozy67 Have you booked an Acropolis view? I did notice you have to pay extra for wifi. I wonder if that is standard in Athens?

Hey Megan!
Wifi is free at the Plaka Hotel. Not sure what the standard is in Athens but we did look at other hotels and I think it was free Wifi too. We didn't book a room with the Acropolis view, one of the reviewers on TripAdvisor said it wasn't worth it as you are better off going up to the roof top terrace.

We are planning on booking an 8 day tour of Greece (Globus, Classical Greece) before the Convention, which finishes on the Friday, but the hotel the tour stays out is further out.
After the Convention we fly to Rome, we are cruising around the Med, Greek Islands and Dalmation Coast for three weeks. Can't wait!

We are planning on booking an 8 day tour of Greece (Globus, Classical Greece) before the Convention,

That's good to know. I've been looking at tours as well but there don't seem to be many companies have dates out yet - or it is still classed as winter and they only have long ones.

We are planning on booking an 8 day tour of Greece (Globus, Classical Greece) before the Convention,

That's good to know. I've been looking at tours as well but there don't seem to be many companies have dates out yet - or it is still classed as winter and they only have long ones.

G'day, we don't have firm dates yet either. They have had this tour going Friday to Friday for some years and I understand they will go ahead, but Globus can't confirm until they release their tour brochure for 2016, which will be in a couple of months.

I am concerned about all of the upheaval in Athens, is the Convention still going ahead as planned?

We plan to still go, but we are likely to now only go for the weekend and cancel the tour of Greece.

I am concerned about all of the upheaval in Athens, is the Convention still going ahead as planned?

I'm glad you asked that, I've been wondering myself.

I'm keen to start making plans so would welcome some more info.

We plan to still go, but we are likely to now only go for the weekend and cancel the tour of Greece.

The Greek Committee is continuing to plan the International Convention. We are watching the negotiations in Europe and we will act accordingly.

However, we would like everyone to know that presently it is absolutely safe to travel to Greece, foreigners are able to use their credit cards and only Greek people have difficulties with withdrawing limits.

Thank you for your interest in joining us next spring, we will keep you posted.

Excellent news! We are all thinking of you during this difficult time and look forward to joining you in Athens next April.

We are all thinking of you during this difficult time

I am unable to come to the Convention, but want you to know that I am thinking of all Greek Bookcrossers during this trying time.

Our flights to Greece are booked! See you all there.

Yay! We are very happy it is going ahead. Good luck with all the planning - see you in April!

Can you tell us if the venue will be in a hotel that will take bookings? I've already heard of someone trying to book a hotel in Athens but they wouldn't take the booking unless they were paid in cash. Difficult when you are a couple of thousand miles away. Had originally been considering booking through Air bnb for this visit but thinking it might be a little risky now.

Can you tell us if the venue will be in a hotel that will take bookings? I've already heard of someone trying to book a hotel in Athens but they wouldn't take the booking unless they were paid in cash. Difficult when you are a couple of thousand miles away. Had originally been considering booking through Air bnb for this visit but thinking it might be a little risky now.

We booked the Plaka Hotel via Expedia - they had a large range of hotels and you pay upfront by credit card. We wanted to pay in advance because the Australian dollar has been reducing, and is forecast to drop further during 2016. This was mid-June before the banks were closed, but I just had a look on Expedia and all seems as per usual.

I have used Booking.com as well, but you pay when you get there. There are lots of hotel booking sites, some have a small fee and others don't. Once I find a hotel I like I also go to their direct website, and see if I can get a better deal, sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Expedia doesn't have a fee.

Good luck!

hon-no-tomo 3 yrs ago
Excited
I have been to Greece several times before, but never to Athens. Am really looking forward to this.

Looking forward to visiting Athens again it's been a very long time since my last visit - going to extend my visit to take in some of the islands too after the convention. I've a number friends who have visited Greece recently and they had no problem at all despite the current economic problems - so I urge you all to go to the convention next year if you can! Just wondering when we can book for the convention itself - I emailed bc.an.con.athens2016@gmail.com back in June but have heard nothing at all yet!

Looking forward to visiting Athens again it's been a very long time since my last visit - going to extend my visit to take in some of the islands too after the convention. I've a number friends who have visited Greece recently and they had no problem at all despite the current economic problems - so I urge you all to go to the convention next year if you can! Just wondering when we can book for the convention itself - I emailed bc.an.con.athens2016@gmail.com back in June but have heard nothing at all yet!

I'm not part of the committee and I have no inside information, but I'm afraid you may have to wait a bit before you are able to book your ticket for the convention. The bank branches opened again for customers a few days ago, but there's still a limit on what one is able to do. For example you can't open a new bank account, unless one provides a serious reason (alas, bookcrossing convention is not one of them). Things are slowly returning to normal, so bear with them.

you can't open a new bank account, unless one provides a serious reason

The committee were taking deposits at the Oxford convention in April. I would like to think they already had a bank account set up if they were going to do this.

The committee were taking deposits at the Oxford convention in April. I would like to think they already had a bank account set up if they were going to do this.

I see no reason to want to think that. It's perfectly fine in my eyes for one of them to keep that money in their own account for now, as long as every payment has been documented.

I see no reason to want to think that. It's perfectly fine in my eyes for one of them to keep that money in their own account for now, as long as every payment has been documented.

Really? 15 months down the line of organising something in a 24 month (or less) plan. This would be quite far up my list, never mind the lost interest no matter how little it would be.

It's perfectly fine in my eyes for one of them to keep that money in their own account for now, as long as every payment has been documented.

Really? 15 months down the line of organising something.

Yes, for me personally, that is fine. But documentation is key, and I say that as someone who has been on a Convention organising committee.

I say that as someone who has been on a Convention organising committee.

I may never have been on a convention committee but I have done enough to know I would want complete transparency when dealing with other people's money. I'm not sure you can provide that while using your own bank account.

Hi gays. I am not in the "official committee" but I'm living in Athens and I can see the problems. As far as the money and the banks the situation is exactly as maria-gr said. The problems are for Greeks, all the others can use theirs credit cards normally. Even myself wright now I'm on vacations in a geek island, and I had booked the airplane tickets and the hotels via Internet,before 3 weeks (in the middle of the banks crisis) There was some tiny problems but I am at vacations now!!!
Now, as far as the payments of the participants, I had never been at a world convention so I don't know, but for a Greek conversation everything seams on the time limits to me, and I also think that this is a problem for the Athens committee who has to organize things s using theirs owns money, and not ours problem ;-)

Never mind the lost interest no matter how little it would be.

Just for your information (if you are interested):
To have interest on your normal bank account... I don't know about Greece, but in other parts of (Mainland) Europe you can only dream about that. You have to take spcific saving plans to get any interest and you DO pay your bank account. I didn't know it was different in the UK. Maybe I should get myself an "off-shore" account there? ;)

(Not affiliated with the commitee either.)

Never mind the lost interest no matter how little it would be.

Just for your information (if you are interested):
To have interest on your normal bank account... I don't know about Greece, but in other parts of (Mainland) Europe you can only dream about that. You have to take spcific saving plans to get any interest and you DO pay your bank account. I didn't know it was different in the UK. Maybe I should get myself an "off-shore" account there? ;)

(Not affiliated with the commitee either.)

I don't know about all current account (normal bank account) but the three banks I have used don't give interest however some do offer incentives. One I use gives me a credit every month providing I puta certain amount in to it every month. Busines accounts may be different, I don't know that either. Why am I posting?? Oh yeah to say I think UK is the same :)

All I have seen, was, that the money was collected in a plastic (bookcrossing!) bag.
Probably that bag have been stashed under his mattress ever since.
Which, in my eyes, must have been the safest place according to the monetary situation in Greece over the last months. ;)

(please pay attention to the smiley used)

Hello from warm Athens. We hope everyone is enjoying their summertime.

Thank you FancyHorse for your support. Indeed it is a trying time and we are doing our best to cope with all the difficulties. We believe that the international media have covered enough of the subject and we wouldn't want to go into it. We have been taking all precautions to secure the money of the early birds and all receipts are available for everyone to see, so there is no need to worry really!

Molyneux we are sorry for the delay. You will have an answer to your questions soon.

Despite the difficulties all is going according to plan. We are very happy to host you in Athens. Spring in Athens is going to be beautiful. Looking forward to our meeting in April!

Despite the difficulties all is going according to plan.

That is good to read. I hope you all are alright :-)

Yay! We can't wait!

We have flights and accommodation all booked. See you in April.

I'm planning on booking mine this month! Exciting! I was just trying to decide where to stay. I want to be near to the venue so dont have to travel too far to get to it! Hopefully walking distance.

wingLamillawing 3 yrs ago
Good news!
I'm hoping to be there and the dates suit me perfectly

I will book my accommodation soon ( maybee airbnb), and I think that I will travel with cash so no problem with banks

Looking forward to be there.

Okay, it seems I'm going this time. Any hotel recommendations?

I've sent a message via the website to book my place. I've booked the Plaka hotel which is very central and some other BookCrossers have booked in there too

See you there!

Coming in Fri, out Sun. Got one day off school...very rare treat. Had to pick my moment to ask!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.