French régions - raised by Bluemchenblatt

Forum » Region Cleanup: Cities & Crossing Zones | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Copying this into here so it does not get missed

wingBluemchenblattwing 1 wk ago
RE: 👉 Region Cleanup Forum Etiquette & HELPFUL INFO! 👈
Hi Region Cleanup Team,

A while ago the French régions have been modified.
In consequence, the current French BookCrossing regions are not correct anymore. This is most confusing for non-French. I launched a discussion on the French forum to see what other French BookCrossers where thinking.
Instead of taking over replacing the regional level with the new regions (which are confusing for many French and would lump many city-level entries together), the idea was to use the département-level as “BC regions”. (There are numerous administrative levels in France, for me départments seem considered as regions anyway, and what is called in France regions more like a region group as of today. But that’s just my point of view as a non-French living in France.)
I started making a list based on current regions and cities on BookCrossing and identifying to which new region (or more precisely départment) each cities is linked as I understood that each request for change should be clear in which item is changed into which other item (and not just a general suggestion as “Please change these.”) for the volunteers to be as easy to work on as possible.
Someone pointed out to me that I might have taken over a significant workload before any decision has been made. However, I understood that any suggestion should be very specific...

Please advise the best way to proceed in the interest of all of us.

(Link to the discussion in the French forum https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/570388/ )

The Region Clean Up Team has 2 members who look after the French zones.
They are e-marmotte & DonaSwann.
I have sent them a message to draw their attention here.

A while ago the French régions have been modified.
Can you define what you mean by "a while ago"?
Weeks, months or years?

It's important to note that Region Clean Up Volunteers have limited access.
Zones are stored in this format:
Country > State/Provinces > City > Crossing Zone
They can only work on things at city-level and crossing zone-level

I think you are talking about changes to be made at States / Provinces level, and if that is correct let me advise you that this can only be done by the BC Development & Tech Team, and not Region Clean Up Volunteers.
I can tell you that the BC Development & Tech Team is currently tiny (1 person predominantly). Their list of things to work on is HUGE and to have a request for something to be bumped up their To Do List needs to be a rather significant item.

Can you define what you mean by "a while ago"?
Weeks, months or years?

Accordant to what I found, the ‘new’ setup started in 2016.
(Source https://en.m.wikipedia.org/---/Regions_of_France )

I think you are talking about changes to be made at States / Provinces level, and if that is correct let me advise you that this can only be done by the BC Development & Tech Team, and not Region Clean Up Volunteers.

That is correct.

I can tell you that the BC Development & Tech Team is currently tiny (1 person predominantly). Their list of things to work on is HUGE and to have a request for something to be bumped up their To Do List needs to be a rather significant item.

Understood. I don’t know whether it is possible to create the new regions and then the volunteers take over to move cities from one/the old region to another etc. (diminishing workload on the tech person).

I also understood that old release alerts etc. would contain the historical data.

DonaSwann 4 mos ago
I agree
but it'll probably take time.
I'm not sure I technically have rights to do it, but I'll try.

If I can help in any way...

Up

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.