Swedish (and Norwegian) geography

Forum » Scandinavian - Skandinavisk | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Some people will have noticed that the Swedish and Norwegian province (lan/landskap/fylke) and city lists are being cleaned up, like the Danish list a few weeks back.

I'm responsible for that, so if I make mistakes you now know who to yell at.

Basically, most of what I've been doing so far is correct misspellings and such, so that when you go to someone's bookshelf and click on the city or the state, you get all the people who live there, and not just some.

Now Alvhyttan notified me that while I had put Lan in the state/province list for Sweden, people may actually be more comfortable using Landskap. There is no reason to use Lan instead of Landskap, or the other way around, it's just a way of putting a country in the Bookcrossing database in a way that you can easily find other crossers near you, and crossing zones, etcetera. Now usually you just take the country's list of states/provinces/departments, and put that in the database. Only, with Sweden the Lan have been sometimes changing, and therefore people still use Landskap quite often. So if you prefer Landskap, I'll put that in, and then I'll put the remaining cities in the correct Lan or Landskap.

When these changes are made you may sometimes find that your crossing zone is gone, because it needs to move to another province (if I can rename the province there's no problem, but if I need to move a city to another province I can only do that by creating a new entry there). If that happens you will have to add the zones to your list again, and you will also need to reselect the city for your release alerts.

After this is finished, please be a little careful when adding a new release zone. Maybe the town or the street you want to use is already there, but spelled differently. If that happens, use that and let me know, so that I can rename it. Please do not add another one with the correct spelling, because I can not (at the moment) move them together.

And a little about myself: I've lived in Denmark, near Fredericia, when I was small, and I've been to Sweden and Norway too a few times. I can read and understand Danish and Norwegian, and with a little more effort Swedish too, (so you can answer in your own language, no problem) and I seem to manage to make myself understood when speaking it.

Thank you Stoneshop! You are doing a great cleanup!
And as you mentioned - I prefer landskap instead of län in Sweden. Our län do change a lot, but the landskap have been the same since several hundreds of years.
Would be interesting to hear what the other Swedish bookcrossers prefer – landskap or län?
And great if we could decide to use one or the other quite soon!

Jag skäms lite för att säga det - men jag vet faktiskt inte vilket landskap jag bor i...jag vet att länet är Västra Götaland - för det pratas det om hela tiden - men landskap nämns inte särskilt ofta. jag kanske ska nämna att jag fick underkänt i landskapen i mellanstadiet...

> Jag skäms lite för att säga det- men jag
> vet faktiskt inte vilket landskap jag bor
> i...jag vet att länet är Västra Götaland-
> för det pratas det om hela tiden- men
> landskap nämns inte särskilt ofta. jag
> kanske ska nämna att jag fick underkänt i
> landskapen i mellanstadiet...
Ja du bor väl i ett omåde där det är typiskt att man vet vad länet heter, men inte landskapet!
Om jag minns rätt så ligger större delen av Göteborgs kommun i Västergötland och någon del i Bohuslän????
Söderut så ligger Mölndal i Västergötland, men Kungsbacka i Halland. Norrut så ligger Kungälvs kommun i Bohuslän.
Vet du i vilket län och landskap din uppväxtort Degerfors ligger i?

Jag sökte på nätet och hittade Göteborg i Västergötland, vilket blir helkonstigt för mig - jag hade gissat på Bohuslän eller Halland - som ligger precis i norr och söder.

Degerfors har jag järnkoll på! Landskapet är förståss undersköna Värmeland och länet Örebro Län (de har väl inte ändrat länet?...) - lite snurrigt det med i och med att Örebro är Närke.

Det var väl det jag tänkte att du hade JÄRN-koll på Degerfors! :)
(För de som inte vet; det finns ett stort järnverk i Degerfors.)

Det känns som om folk är osäkrare om var Göteborg ligger.
Jag vet att den stan ligger till största delen i Västergötland, men en del av Göteborg ligger i Bohuslän. Landskapsgränsen följer Göta älv ända in i stan sen viker den av norrut och sen västerut över Hisingen och ut mellan öarna.

På den här söksidan, som tillhör släktforskarförbundets tidning Rötter, kan man skriva in den ort där man är folkbokförd och få fram vilken kommun, län och landskap man bor i.

Hur län och landskap används är väldigt olika över Sverige skulle jag tro. I Norrbotten som jag kommer ifrån och i Västerbotten används nästan uteslutande länen och inte landskapen. I alla fall i de kretsar jag umgås i.
Men det viktiga är väl inte att vi väljer det "korrekta" (vilket nu det skulle vara) utan att vi använder något konsekvent. Om hundra år spelar det väl ingen roll vilken det blir, bara det blir EN.

Jag är också från Norrbotten och har bott ett antal år i Västerbotten och så vitt jag förstår så är det nog allmänt språkbruk att tala om länet i första hand. Jag blir alltid lite konfunderad när någon pratar om olika orter såsom liggandes i Lappland.
Något som stör mig alldeles oerhört är när folk frågar om jag kommer från Norrland! (men jag ska inte snöa in på detta just nu)

There's a lot of funny entrys and mistakes in Norway at least. I don't know about the other countries, but why should they be any different ;-)

> There's a lot of funny entrys and mistakes
> in Norway at least.

Ha. Look again ... http://bookcrossing.com/---/norway

I'm not finished yet, but at least the 'funny entries' should be gone. There are still members that have a province without 'fylke' entered in their profile, but these will be changed soon. It's just the way the bookcrossing database is set up that when a state/province is renamed, the crossing zones change also, but the member profiles don't.

And for the Norwegians too: if you see an error, let me know.

It's been a feature request (in http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/3/3242740/101/subj_-Browse-Members---Database-could-do-with-a-good-spring-clean) that for specific countries it should only be possible to select your state/province from the drop-down list to prevent such errors (of course, that list should be complete and correct), but at the moment you can still do as you please. For the cities you can always enter anything, even the nickname for your local delområde or grunnkrets, so that can still create new 'silly' entries. You can of course also make a mistake in selecting the province so that there's suddenly another Oslo in Finnmark, but at least that is obvious, and will probably be corrected.

> I don't know about the
> other countries, but why should they be
> any different ;-)

Oh, yes. Look at Brazil or Mexico, for instance.

You´re doing a huge job!
Den delen av Värmland där jag bor är både Värmlands län och landskap, vilket underlättar. Karlskoga, däremot, ligger i landskapet Värmland men tillhör Örebro län, vilket medför att jag inte har full koll på alla frigivningar (egoism, egoism!!!) För min del känns landskap bra eftersom jag tillhör den mer gammaldags modellen som inte hänger med så snabbt i alla förändringar som länsgränserna ibland drabbas av.

It would probably be easier from a site administration point of view to use landskap, since these are not likely to change. Thus, once a complete list exists to choose from it will not have to be altered.

> Thus, once a complete list exists to
> choose from it will not have to be
> altered.

Yes, that's one reason. Also, because you want to find people and books in your region, landskap at least makes sense because then Gotland and Öland will show up separately.

Of course it would be possible to add them to the list of provinces anyway even if the choice was to use län (but it could be somewhat confusing).

Så kul att se dig här!!!

...det var bare det jeg ville sige... Hej!

Hej MieLH, dejligt at se dig igen.

> ...det var bare det jeg ville sige... Hej!
>

> Tack för lyckönskningen!

Will it be län or landskap in Sweden?
I want to know!
It's so difficult for me because all my release zones are in the wrong län now. If we will go back to landskap I can use my old release zones, but if we are going to use län - I have to make new release zones and will get two of all my old zones.
I don't want to release any more books before I know.

I suggest landskap. I seems to be the most common. Never mind us norrbottningar and västerbottningar. We are a minority! Besides therea are some difficulties arising whith the regions that have appeared. For example: Västra Götaland. Is that a län?

> For example: Västra Götaland. Is that a län?

No, it's a leftover misspelled landskap. Cleaning up a country list is a process in several steps, at least the way I do it. First I corrected all the landskap/län that looked somewhat like others (like skane/skaane/scania/skåne) into one, preferably towards the one that already contains the largest number of members. Then I start removing cities from the province/state level, usually putting in 'n/a' for the state if don't know yet which province it should be in. At the end of this step I have a large number of cities in 'n/a', and I start correcting the city name spellings. After that I start putting in the right provinces (because they're now grouped I only have to look up once), and finally I look in each of the provinces for misspelled city names that were there already.

In the case of Sweden I stopped halfway because Alvhyttan electronically tugged my arm.

About what to use: at the moment there's a slight preference, I think, for using landskap, but I've also seen "Ah, but we all use län around where I live". Is next tuesday early enough to have reached consensus on what to use? Because for me it would be just tossing a coin, where for you it's a decision of what is most practical/least confusing/whatever.

> ............
> In the case of Sweden I stopped halfway
> because Alvhyttan electronically tugged my
> arm.

> About what to use: at the moment there's a
> slight preference, I think, for using
> landskap, but I've also seen "Ah, but we
> all use län around where I live". Is next
> tuesday early enough to have reached
> consensus on what to use? Because for me
> it would be just tossing a coin, where for
> you it's a decision of what is most
> practical/least confusing/whatever.

Oh, sorry about your arm, Stoneshop! ;)

A decision about län or landskap next Tuesday is fine for me.
You know I prefer landskap, but I can handle it if you decide to use län.

I just wish that some more of the Swedish bookcrossers would say something about this.

And I don't think it is necessary to have a consensus, but of course it’s nice if everybody likes everything. ;)
(I’m tiered, difficult to stop my sick humour)

Tuesday is ok with me as well. And I can live with whatever the desicion is as long as it is in Sweden!
About Västra Götaland: I googled and found a website about Västra Götalands län. Landskapet is named Västergötland. Malmöhus län and Kristianstads län are now put together in one län: Skåne län!! Let's stick to landskap, please.

Unfortunately my vote is not going to help you at all, but then at least I have had my say... I have registered as living in a 'län', but if you guys decide to go with 'landskap' instead that won't be a problem for me. As long as we decide to go with one or the other. I actually thought it was a bit confusing when I joined that there was a mix of them both in the list.

Yes, Västra Götaland is actually a "län" - I live in it! I don't care whether it will be län or landskap just as long as there will be just one or the other and only one Göteborg!

Folde 13 yrs ago
Norrbotten
I´m born in Norbotten, the best part of Sweden (I have lived most part of my life in Uppland), also hate when people say: "So you are from Norrland (Norrland is more than half of Sweden).
I think landskap is easier to understand for most people.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.