[Being considered] QR Code label prototype based on BCID

Forum » Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Hi everyone! I made a new label template to provide QR Code features keeping BCID indexing. If you want to check it out you can find a sample here: https://ibb.co/fQwKKp

If you like it, I can provide vector files to make high resolution labels. Moreover, I can write a simple webpage to make everyone able to automatically create this kind of labels.

winggoldenwattlewing 5 mos ago
SPAM
Unknown, untrusted user
Reported

wingMoemwing 5 mos ago
RE: SPAM
He's not selling anything. I do not believe that this is spam.

mp94 5 mos ago
RE: SPAM
Unknown, untrusted user
Reported

O_o ... I'm not a thief. I just registered few days ago...

Unknown, untrusted user
Reported

O_o ... I'm not a thief. I just registered few days ago...

Then I apologise. We get a lot of spam on here unfortunately.

No problem, what do you think about the label?

No problem, what do you think about the label?

I used to make my own labels, with photographs, but these days I buy from the BC shop, as a way of supporting BC.

You have to think about many different situation where QR could be used and find a way to each (or at least the majority) of them.
Just as an example:
I'm located in Italy, registering book in different languages, so I prefer to use homemade labels.
That means I should be able to put QR on them, considering form factor, available space, etc. etc.
I know from experience that I need an easy way to fit something in my labels. The best choice is a high res image (tiff, png, bmp).
If you can provide a program/procedure to produce such an image it would be ideal... to start.
Then the form factor and real dimension issues must be solved also.

Hi fabio I'm Italian too! As I wrote in my first post I could code a simple webpage that takes the BCID as input and returns the label with qrcode as an image (jpg/png) or pdf!

OK, I'll try it.

Thank you! I was unable to reply you back in PM, the site returns an error! I'll wrote here when the page will be ready!

Hi everyone! I made a new label template to provide QR Code features keeping BCID indexing. If you want to check it out you can find a sample here: https://ibb.co/fQwKKp

Nice feature! For every BCID you have to make a new QR-code as the journal link is different. Are they easy to make or did you make something automated (This would be very cool).

Hi iiwi, nice to meet you! QR-code are easy to make, there are several tools online, I just created one that refers to the following link:

www.bookcrossing.com/journal/add/[Replace with BCID]

Then I used a graphic editing software to make the label. However, I'm planning to make a webpage where you can input your bcid code and it automatically outputs the printable label.

However, I'm planning to make a webpage where you can input your bcid code and it automatically outputs the printable label.

Can you hold off a bit? This might be something we* could be offering in the Store soon, and as I'm sure you realise, BC really needs the revenue from the Store in order to stay afloat.

*speaking as the Store Manager here

That's why I no longer make my own labels (and they were nice, with a photograph), as I prefer to support BC. It does need money to function. We should all support it.

That's why I no longer make my own labels (and they were nice, with a photograph), as I prefer to support BC. It does need money to function. We should all support it.

I agree!!

However, I'm planning to make a webpage where you can input your bcid code and it automatically outputs the printable label.

Can you hold off a bit? This might be something we* could be offering in the Store soon, and as I'm sure you realise, BC really needs the revenue from the Store in order to stay afloat.

Hi Moem I just developed the first version of the webapp to create QRCode labels, but if this generates a fund raising problem I won't post the link right now. Moreover as you can read here:

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9180224

I'm willing to help with my IT knowledge (in my spare time) with many ideas. However I believe, that qrcode label generation should be a free feature, maybe it could be useful to discuss together others fund raising mechanisms.

I'm willing to help with my IT knowledge (in my spare time) with many ideas.

The problem with that is that we don't really have a framework for that. And setting one up might very well require in itself resources that we do not have.

The problem with that is that we don't really have a framework for that. And setting one up might very well require in itself resources that we do not have.

What do you mean for "framework"? Would you like to discuss this topic privately?...maybe I can help provideing small-effort ideas...

Currently we can get prenumbered labels free , I think this is only free to members who have purchased wings. It could be a compromise that only winged members can use your webpage and thus still help with funding the bc site.

To be honest I purchase labels these days but others use the site and labels in different ways and I think your qrcode label would be attractive to a lot of people and enhance the bookcrossing experience.

I believe that QRCode + App combo would speed up the spreading process of the website...and more users mean more money. For example we could provide two app version, a free app (with adv) and a paid-one to raise money.

IN THE END: let me know we I can share my web app!

What do you mean for "framework"?

I mean that we don't really have facilities to make it possible for volunteers to help with development. And I'm not a developer, so I don't know the right words to explain that.

I will point Ardik to your message; he IS a developer and maybe something can be done here. In any case, thank you for your enthousiasm and positive mindset.

Hi Moem I just developed the first version of the webapp to create QRCode labels, but if this generates a fund raising problem I won't post the link right now. Moreover as you can read here:

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9180224

I'm willing to help with my IT knowledge (in my spare time) with many ideas. However I believe, that qrcode label generation should be a free feature, maybe it could be useful to discuss together others fund raising mechanisms.

Currently we can get prenumbered labels free , I think this is only free to members who have purchased wings. It could be a compromise that only winged members can use your webpage and thus still help with funding the bc site.

To be honest I purchase labels these days but others use the site and labels in different ways and I think your qrcode label would be attractive to a lot of people and enhance the bookcrossing experience.

Agreed, Diane-Fraser.

User experience cannot be limited because of funding, solutions can and must be determined to create value from new functionalities.

And, first of all, a better site with improved user experience will attract (and retain) more people.

Honestly I don't really believe in providing features to winged only members. A much better approach would be giving as much feature as possible for free so that the website can grow quickly and then raising funds through patreons/donations/advertising/apps etc.

Honestly I don't really believe in providing features to winged only members. A much better approach would be giving as much feature as possible for free so that the website can grow quickly and then raising funds through patreons/donations/advertising/apps etc.

I have to disagree with you. Although many sites charge for use, the founders said the basic functions here would remain free, and they always have, despite the financial woes of the site.

There is a way that users can support the site, by buying wings for additional features or items from the Supply Store, though I believe that only a very small few do so. And would have even less reason to do so if they were not getting anything extra in return. So if the site gave away everything for free, there would be even less income coming in, and BookCrossing might very well have to shut down.

Also right now people who are annoyed by ads can avoid them; what you are suggesting would subject us all to ads, whether we support the site or not.

It would break my heart to find that the site was closed down and all the books we have all released over the years could never write home again. I do not feel that the small cost of wings is inappropriate to keep the site that gives me so much pleasure running.

So, in my opinion, features over and above the basics should cost us a bit extra, as they do now. And I will continue to support the site through Supply Store purchases and through Affiliate link purchases. And hope that the others who love BookCrossing will do so also. If the site had a better financial foundation and wasn't so precarious, more personnel could be hired to enhance and improve the site even more. That is what I wish for, not free features and more ads for all.

I have to disagree with you. Although many sites charge for use, the founders said the basic functions here would remain free, and they always have, despite the financial woes of the site.

This is the thing, most sites DO NOT charge for use. Not directly. I prefer to see some ads and have a modern, functional site than having an ancient site featuring tons of glitches without ads. And I would be keener to donate or use the shop or support the site on other ways if it was more functional and attractive. You tend to think about BC on a sentimental and not on a practical way and not in a way that the majority interacts with websites nowadays. And I think BC needs to increase its traffic and members in order to survive. It would be interesting to have some statistics on members' age and how active they are. I doupt most 20somethings or 30somethings become members and even if so, they remain really active here. The site doesn't attract them.

Sorry but, reading your comment, it seems at the financial situations of the website is not good...so probably this wings mechanism is not working so well I suppose. No one here wants this site to close. It's not (all) about adv, there are many other ways: look at Wikipedia for example, or Patreon. But a much wider range of members is nedeed of course.

Moreover, as I already wrote in "Feature request", with a minimal effort this website could be updated to a responsive template. No needs for coding a new website. This + QRCode could be a first low-cost updates that could help spreading the site.

This is the thing, most sites DO NOT charge for use.

Most sites DO charge for extra features. See, for instance, Flickr or Live Journal, and many others. It's very common for a site to be free for some basics, but to charge an additional fee for anything above that. It's also common for sites to charge you if you want an ad-free experience. Scores of news sites have the bulk of their stories behind a pay wall.

I have often felt that BC should have a two-tiered membership, rather than relying on random wings purchases. I also think they should maintain a separate site (or part of the site) for all the traders. Then that group could have all the ratings/stars/etc. that they seem to want, and they could pay for it.

No, I disagree. Most sites are free and whenever there is an option to pay for extras, still the site which is free for everyone is modern, attractive, absolutely functionable and buying the extra features don't work as a way to work around glitches and the like as it often happens here.

No, I disagree. Most sites are free and whenever there is an option to pay for extras, still the site which is free for everyone is modern, attractive, absolutely functionable and buying the extra features don't work as a way to work around glitches and the like as it often happens here.

The option to pay for extras is what allows those sites to be "modern, attractive, absolutely functionable"! Having users buy those features is WHY those sites don't have glitches.

The difference is that BC is transparent about the need.

I prefer to see some ads and have a modern, functional site than having an ancient site featuring tons of glitches without ads.

As usual, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Personally, I think the best way to LOSE many loyal customers would be to go back on the promise our founder Ron made to always keep the basic functions free. If a site promises that the basic usage will remain free, and then decides to change their entire premise, I expect many, if not most members, would decide not to remain.

Anyway, this thread was about a different topic. As of today, I've not been contacted by any of the moderators. So I decided to upload the webapp on my personal github page, but I won't post the link here for the moment. In this way my work won't be wasted and I can use the app with my friends without damageing bookcrossing.com

wingMoemwing 4 mos ago
RE: moderators
As of today, I've not been contacted by any of the moderators.

That may be because we don't have any. I'm the Store manager; we have Ardik who is our developer, I have pinged him and he should really weigh in one of these days. Management is Bruce and Reno, but they don't use the forum much. Other than that, there is a bunch of amazing Support volunteers and that's pretty much it.

I prefer to see some ads and have a modern, functional site than having an ancient site featuring tons of glitches without ads.

As usual, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Personally, I think the best way to LOSE many loyal customers would be to go back on the promise our founder Ron made to always keep the basic functions free. If a site promises that the basic usage will remain free, and then decides to change their entire premise, I expect many, if not most members, would decide not to remain.

Are the basic functions free and do they work properly? That's one of my points. For example, tracking the books journey by getting e-mail notifications is THE core function of BC and it didn't work for several weeks unless you bought wings and change your settings to individual alerts.

Anyway, this kind of conversation has happen again and again and led to nothing, so I guess there is no point carrying it on...

...it should be in the forum: Feature Requests.
I hope to have time the next weekend to test your prototype.
BTW, QR Code is a nice feature, but we need "functions" to make it useful, eg. a new App.

I have several ideas on that, do you want to discuss them?

Note: in Feature Requests Forum there are App discussions already, we could hang QR Code to that one.

BTW, QR Code is a nice feature, but we need "functions" to make it useful, eg. a new App.

Well, if scanning it lands you on the 'Make a journal entry' page', wouldn't that be useful in itself even without an app?

Yes, that's a "function" itself, that needs development. :-)

Hi fabio, I would really want to help developing an app for this website, it was one of the first things I thought one landed here...

Hi mp94, I've checked your QR code just now and it works well. But that's an example only, what we need is a function that can be integrated in BC site functionalities (also to be put in labels that we can buy at the shop) and at the same time a function that can be used for homemade labels.

Hi Fabio, you're right but I don't have access to website source code as of now. This is the only feature I can provide at the moment from the outside

I'm reading this thread and feel like it needs to be mentioned that, this isn't your website to decide what is done with it!
You've been a member for less than a month, haven't explored all areas of the site, yet are pushing your ideas quite forcibily down people's throats!
Would you do such a thing to Mark Zuckerberg and expect a pleasant reception?!

To me, you are forcibly pushing your personal preferences for the site, whilst not actually supporting it by being a winged member.

The development elements of BookCrossing sits in the hands of Ardik and Reno, and the ownership of the site sits with Bruce and Heather.

Feature "suggestions" for the site ought to be posted in Feature Requests forum, not here in the Community Bulletin Board.
Can we please move this thread to the apporopriate area? <<<has since been moved>>>

You know, your type of reply is the perfect reason why I deserted so many forums in the past.
Young (users) that are happy to help should be supported by the older ones. BTW, you're right we'd put this thread in feature requests forum.

I'm very disappointed by your reply. I offered my skills for FREE and this is what I got back. Moreover I accepted not to share the link of my app (that is fully working) so that BookCrossing.com will not be damaged anyhow.

I discovered that a FREE software from TICO, a commercial label maker, can produce QR Codes to be put on homemade labels. I haven't test it already, but I suppose that it works.

How many other opportunities will be available in the web?

We have to move on.

Hi Fabio, I believe admins are going to offer this feature in the near future. This is what they said in previous messages.

I believe admins are going to offer this feature in the near future. This is what they said in previous messages.

Thank you for your post mp94, and also the message you sent to the BC Support Team.

Whilst we can appreciate that Members would like an upgrade of BookCrossing, enabling a more mobile-phone friendly experience, a QR-code mechanism would not work as an alternative to a book’s BCID being printed on labels, as this would bring about a serious barrier when using the website from a desktop.

Perhaps your suggestion is for a QR-code mechanism to be present on pre-numbered labels (which has a BCID pre-printed on to it), which is a certain possibility and something that our Developer (Ardik) has been experimenting with. While we can't make any promises, we can confirm that it is something that is being considered.

Once again, thank you for contacting us and raising the suggestion here in the forum. We really do appreciate our Members identifying possible improvements for the site!
We will let you know if we have a need for your technical expertise in the future.

would not work as an alternative to a book’s BCID being printed on labels, as this would bring about a serious barrier when using the website from a desktop.

Does one rule out the other? Can't both be used? Can you put a QR code on a label next to a BCID? Personally, I don't use QR codes, but I'm definitely in favor of getting the site to work better on mobile devices. If it's a system that works well, I could be persuaded to download an app for that.

Does one rule out the other? Can't both be used? Can you put a QR code on a label next to a BCID? P

Yes, that's what they said:
"Perhaps your suggestion is for a QR-code mechanism to be present on pre-numbered labels (which has a BCID pre-printed on to it), which is a certain possibility and something that our Developer (Ardik) has been experimenting with. While we can't make any promises, we can confirm that it is something that is being considered."

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.