Go Hunting default country

Forum » Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
To save time and reduce annoyance, could the initial Go Hunting screen default to the country in the user's profile rather than the current requirement to select a country from a long list? On the presumably rare occasion when the user wishes to select a country other than their own, this could be done using the breadcrumb trail at the top of the country page.

I never go to the full Go Hunting page unless I'm looking for something out of state.

I think it'd be a nice feature - indeed, having a "hunt for books in this location" button *on* the profile-page might be even better. However, it would take some work; at the moment the profile location info doesn't map directly to the hunting pages, and I'm not sure how messy it would be to try and pick it up. [Having a feature where people could add a default hunting location to their profiles - and encouraging them to specify their own location, at least at the country level - might be a bit easier.]

I fear that there aren't spare resources for such a feature, though, at least not while there are still issues that need to be fixed. Solittletime's workaround would help; and any book that you've made release notes for can be used as a quick entry to the hunting pages too, via the link to the release zone.

I do think that the hunting pages themselves could be made more book-hunting-friendly; a map-by-location, for example, so people could look up "releases near me" instead of having to check individual towns. And having a special icon similar to the current OBCZ tags, for use with non-OBCZ book-swap locations - Little Free Libraries and other such spots - would put more "places where books are likely to be" on the map. And in the "if I won the lottery and could afford to hire programmers" category, some graphs showing releases vs. catches by location through time... not useful, perhaps, but I do love me some stats {rueful grin}.

Meanwhile, my own workarounds include adding explicit links to the hunting pages for my state ("For more releases in NH, click here" kind of thing), to encourage any finders to look further; they could click on the release zone, of course, but I figure the specific message might add a little nudge. And I try to release books at as many surrounding towns as I can in the course of each month, to keep lots of places on the hunting pages so any book-hunters (whether newbies or visiting-from-elsewhere BCers) will see some activity.

at the moment the profile location info doesn't map directly to the hunting pages,

I hate to sound contrary, but I believe it does: I believe these functions use the same database. Changing one is changing the other.

at the moment the profile location info doesn't map directly to the hunting pages,

I hate to sound contrary, but I believe it does: I believe these functions use the same database. Changing one is changing the other.

That'd be good! I might be recalling a pre-the-last-major-site-revision situation, where (if my memory isn't failing me, which it very well might) the profile-location info was separate. If they do use the same lists, a direct hunt-from-one's-profile-location feature would be easier to implement - though I suspect it'd still be way down on the priority list!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.