corner corner What do YOU want in a BookCrossing phone app?

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

What do YOU want in a BookCrossing phone app?

At long last, we are able to start work again on a mobile phone application for BookCrossing. We will eventually be building apps for different phones, but our first one will be for iPhone users.

Our designers have all sorts of ideas, but we want to know what you, real BookCrossers, want your phone app to be able to do for you. Give us your ideas -- nothing is to small or to big to be added to the list. We can't guarantee that all suggestions will be incorporated, but we can guarantee all will be considered. Even if you don't have an iphone, or a smart phone, your thoughts are still important. What would you like to have in an app?

Post your ideas in this thread, here, in Feature Requests. Don't send them to support, or post them in your blog, or email them to me, or tweet them, or write on the Facebook wall, or post in another forum and expect we'll find it there. Post them in THIS thread. That's where they're being collected and where we'll look to see what you want. And yes, you can comment, tweak and improve other ideas. If you don't like something, you can say so, but please be polite. What's not a "must" for you might be the main thing someone else is wishing for.

Thanks for your patience and support.

Complete Thread

Previous  1 2 3  

Profile Image
On the development of a phone app? I saw someone posting this: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/515940
Seems to be a nice way of providing development hours, in stead of money to the cause of bookcrossing.com for people who can.

Personally I'm very curious:
What kind of problems did the first designteam find? What is the progress?
Maybe someone on the forum can give new input.

I love to look in the feature request forum and see support is handling some issues on the website and make progress. I think it is a shame I can't even tell if someone is trying to make progress in the area of phone app development.

There were a few different requests, what are the plans for these different requests?
1. An app for catching and releasing (and registrering?) on location.
2. An app for finding Wild released books on location.

An other list I copy-pasted from above:
1) Access to my shelf and wishlist.
2) Ability to register, release and journal on the go.
3) Access to forums (I can't easily do this on my Android)
4) Locating bc members near me (might be nice in bookstores)
5) Uploading photos (no offense, just not a feature I currently use.)
6) Viewing other people's wishlists
7) Bar code scanner
Profile Image

the map

and the connection with the map http://openbookcase.org/map/
Profile Image

Hehe

Can't believe this thread was really started 5 years ago. Feels like yesterday. :)
Profile Image
and open development is not going to happen as it seems, maybe we should settle on a small app and build from there. Just releasing and journaling in an app would be nice.
Profile Image
I'll pass it on. I can't make promises beyond that, but I can promise at least this.
Profile Image
I second the vote for a mobile site rather than dedicated app. Plus, perhaps a brand refresh is in order?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/z6UAf"><a href="//imgur.com/z6UAf"></a><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Profile Image
I've searched the Apple App store and get only the message that it's not available in the U.S. Also, I tried to make release notes on my iPhone yesterday and couldn't; after choosing the city and location, the location would keep defaulting to the first one. I couldn't make release notes on the go, which defeats the purpose. Is there an app and what am I missing?
Profile Image
I've searched the Apple App store and get only the message that it's not available in the U.S. Also, I tried to make release notes on my iPhone yesterday and couldn't; after choosing the city and location, the location would keep defaulting to the first one. I couldn't make release notes on the go, which defeats the purpose. Is there an app and what am I missing?

No, there isn't an app, for the US or anywhere else in the world. If you're seeing some sort of Bookcrossing app in the Apple store, beware. It's not official and not supported by the website in any way.

I also have the same problem when trying to make release notes on my iPhone. After choosing country, state and city, it defaults to the first release zone on the list. I choose the 'real' zone, which means there are two zones selected. I then go back and unselect the first default zone. It usually works but sometimes it can take a few attempts. It's only a relatively recent thing (in the last few months) but it's a real pain in the neck.
Profile Image
Yes... Please... And of course an option to create them for labels.
Profile Image

Still no word?

Is there any possibility of any kind of timeline on when an app might be expected? I think there are enough users who would definitely be willing to pay for extra features, but even just a basic app would be amazing. Hell, at this point I would settle for a mobile friendly/optimized website. I really want to spend time on the crossing but it's really difficult because I don't use a PC much these days.
Profile Image
It's pretty quiet, it seems. It seems to me that the best thing to do now it's to fix the bugs on the website and make the website more mobile friendly at the Dane time, rather than focusing on an app. One website for everyone regardless of type of device and operative system....
Profile Image
It's pretty quiet, it seems. It seems to me that the best thing to do now it's to fix the bugs on the website and make the website more mobile friendly at the Dane time, rather than focusing on an app. One website for everyone regardless of type of device and operative system....

I would be perfectly happy with that, so let's hope that happens sooner rather than later :)
Profile Image
A BookCrossing phone app.

;-)
Profile Image
A BookCrossing phone app.

;-)

I now agree with a couple of previous posters. A responsive website (works with any device) would do just as well.

Previous  1 2 3  

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.