corner corner What do YOU want in a BookCrossing phone app?

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

What do YOU want in a BookCrossing phone app?

At long last, we are able to start work again on a mobile phone application for BookCrossing. We will eventually be building apps for different phones, but our first one will be for iPhone users.

Our designers have all sorts of ideas, but we want to know what you, real BookCrossers, want your phone app to be able to do for you. Give us your ideas -- nothing is to small or to big to be added to the list. We can't guarantee that all suggestions will be incorporated, but we can guarantee all will be considered. Even if you don't have an iphone, or a smart phone, your thoughts are still important. What would you like to have in an app?

Post your ideas in this thread, here, in Feature Requests. Don't send them to support, or post them in your blog, or email them to me, or tweet them, or write on the Facebook wall, or post in another forum and expect we'll find it there. Post them in THIS thread. That's where they're being collected and where we'll look to see what you want. And yes, you can comment, tweak and improve other ideas. If you don't like something, you can say so, but please be polite. What's not a "must" for you might be the main thing someone else is wishing for.

Thanks for your patience and support.

Complete Thread

Previous  1 2 3 Next 

Profile Image
First, I need an Android-App, but I hope, it will follow close to an iPhone-App.

What I would like is, what others already said:
- release on the go
- register on the go - and here also register new books, as I often get some from associates and so I would be able to register them on my way home

What I hadn't thougt about but find a great Idea: the possibility of save photos of the fresh released book in the release note direct from the phone
Profile Image
Of scanning functionality. Maybe a QR code on some lables with the BCID number that will pull up that book so you an release quickly on the go without having to type in the number or search for the book.

When registering a book if you could just scan the bar code on the book, to automatically pull the information for that book.
Profile Image
Something easy to use for registering/journalling/releasing on the go. the ability to add photos to release notes/journal entries through the app would be cool too.
Also a way to browse my wishlist on the go as well.
Profile Image
Something easy to use for registering/journalling/releasing on the go. the ability to add photos to release notes/journal entries through the app would be cool too.
Also a way to browse my wishlist on the go as well.

I think that would just about sum it up for me. Stay simple, implement only the critical things that someone might want to do with BC while away from a desktop / laptop.

Getting that on it's own designed and developed is sufficient work - scanning/qr codes/assigning photos to journal entries can potentially be added to future versions - get a v1.0 out first and go from there.

Profile Image
Register, release and catch books, post JEs and manage profile/bookshelf.

Forum access is NOT important.
Profile Image
Geotagged release and the option of updaing when you release on-the-go would be great, as would a barcode reader to quickly register/release the book quickly when out and about. The option to upload photos would be good too!
Profile Image
If there is going to be an app rather than a good mobile site, I'd want to be able to:

- Register
- Release
- Access my bookshelf
- Access other BookCrossers' wishlists
Profile Image
I WANT A BARCODE READER, please! And I'd like it for my Android. Goodreads just got a barcode reader so that now I can add books to my shelves on that site with just a picture taken from my phone. Having a barcode reader for Bookcrossing available on an Android app would take a whole lot of the drudge out of registering books for me (over 1500 so far) and would make the experience a lot more fun! I love Bookcrossing, but having to type in that ISBN correctly is a real drag.
Profile Image
I use BC site on my Nokia mobile (duh, I'm a Finn) quite often and what irritates me most is that I cannot sort my books according to..anything. I'd love to be able to use the Sort Options, but cannot seem to get the drop menus to work! Sorting messages doesn't work for me either. I've tried the site on couple of different Nokia models with touch screen, but the menus don't open.
Profile Image
http://www.repudo.com/

'With Repudo you can drop all kinds of multimedia like a text, a photo, a video or an audio message at any location you like. Repudo is the world's first platform to handle digital objects in the real world! '
Some of us tried this, but it doesn't work for electronic books, it seems.
Profile Image
Fantastic! I have been waiting so long for a BC app!!! It will make it so much easier to release books on the go. Please make it compatible for iPad. And could the iPhone app please please have a scanner? (Goodreads app has a scanner, and I love it. Makes it so easy to enter new books!) I'm so excited!! Do you have any idea when the app might come out?

BTW I haven't noticed anything really buggy on the BC site for about a year now. It's just a bit awkward to use on the go (ie: iPhone or iPad).
Profile Image
hi! ive been waiting for this forever!. its so hard to release books and keep track of what one and where you left it when you dont have an idea a head of time

ok here are somethings lol

1.a wishlist BOOK SCAN! this way when i go to the book store or a library and i say 'omg i want to read that one" i can just scan the barcode and add it to my wishlist :)
(the book scan would also REALLY help those of us with thousands of books be able to scan a book and see if we already HAVE IT on our list lol sometimes i bring books home and i have doubles :/

2. to be able to easily release books

3. maybe soon we will be able to post a picture with our releases lol that would be cool :)

( i think thats all i guess.)

Profile Image
hi! ive been waiting for this forever!. its so hard to release books and keep track of what one and where you left it when you dont have an idea a head of time

ok here are somethings lol

1.a wishlist BOOK SCAN! this way when i go to the book store or a library and i say 'omg i want to read that one" i can just scan the barcode and add it to my wishlist :)
(the book scan would also REALLY help those of us with thousands of books be able to scan a book and see if we already HAVE IT on our list lol sometimes i bring books home and i have doubles :/

2. to be able to easily release books

3. maybe soon we will be able to post a picture with our releases lol that would be cool :)

( i think thats all i guess.)

I agree completely! I would also LOVE to be able to scan bar codes at home when registering books. I've registered over 1300 and that would really speed up the process!
Profile Image
It would be very nice if you get a note on your screen when a book is released in the area around you. And maybe a fuktion wich gives you tipps where to release you book
(sorry i´m german and my english isn´t the best)
Profile Image
Can it be possible, to get the App also in german? :-)
I want to have a look about my wishlist easy, with hopping to the names of the books. When there are more then 20 its very easier.
Also a note on my screen, when a book in my area is released (like above written).
But I wish it most in german.
Thank you
Profile Image

My must haves

For me, the most important things to have in a Bookcrossing app would be:

A: The ability to quickly and easily release books, either from my bookshelf or by entering the BCID, including the ability to easily create new zones.

B: Push notifications (that can be easily turned off for those who don't want them) for journal entries and books released in watched cities.

C: Integration with other social networking sites.
Profile Image
Hi, I've got the Goodreads app on my Android phone and the scanning/cataloguing facilities are really great so if you could 'borrow' that off them it wouldn't be a bad thing! I agree with many other comments, quickly release and journal books would be great. I always juggle with that, especially when I'm travelling. Being able to find or sort books easily too, at the moment finding a specific book in my bookshelf through the Internet on my phone is a nightmare and takes ages. can't wait!
Profile Image
My Goodreads app allows me to scan the barcode of the book, which I really like... maybe something like that. :) Thanks!
Profile Image
Would be good if app could use geolocation to know where you are eleasing a book, rather than having to go through the series of dropdown menus.

Apologies if this has already been suggested - haven't read all of this lengthy thred!
Profile Image
I'm sorry if I'm repeating anyone's suggestions -- I tried to read through the thread, but had to stop because it seemed like just a bunch of complaining and moaning by people who don't have, don't want, or are jealous of those who have iPhones --- not exactly the point of the question posed, so I'm not sure why everyone's time is being wasted.

What I would need for BC app: The ability to flip through my bookshelf, the ability to register & release books, the ability to access recent releases in my current area or an area I have saved as a favorite. The ability to post the release or a book wish onto facebook, twitter, etc.

What I would like: It would be great to have a map of recent releases enabling the user to click on the location and get directions. It would also be nice to add pictures of the release straight to the site. The ability to scan an ISBN would be awesome too. And maybe the option for push notifications of nearby releases or releases by friends.

Thanks. I can't wait for the app.
Profile Image

I agree...

... with most of the suggestions. I would be really glad, when this App could be available in Ovi Store (Nokia).
Profile Image
Releasing books easily. I know it has been said several times but that is what I want. I use a BlackBerry on ATT and if I am releasing to a zone that is already there it usually works, but not all the time. The scroll doesnt work quite often. If I want to release to a new zone, I can forget it; it just gives me errors when I try to save the new location.
Profile Image
And indeed for any other phone.

My main use on the phone would be for releasing, I'd like to do that on the go, poss with a geo point to the exact release spot as not all books are released near a landmark.

Photo upload of release would be nice.

Ease of browsing other people's wishlists whilst out and about in bookshops would be good.

Ease of registering and journaling would be good..... save having to have bits of paper with BCID's written on them at meetups, and fab for conventions!

Yes I can get on the main web with my phone.... but apps are always easier.
Profile Image
An iphone app would be brilliant. Releasing on the go is a must, and I would absolutely love to see GPS integration, so that the iPhone can automatically detect where I have released a book. It would be great if you could integrate with Foursquare so that BookCrossers can use their database of venues to release books.
Profile Image
Clear simple text - minimal to no graphics and NO JAVA (hello? iPhone Apps that use JAVA don't work on iPADS..)
Ability to log in new books.
Ability to release on the go.
Ability to easily journal on the go.

The ability to send off a PM might be nice, but would be later.
Profile Image
It'd be cool if the app would allow me to easily release books, and then also record the GPS coordinates of that location for about 24 hrs. Then, on the flipside, I could pull up a map of recently released books in my area and go hunting!

Profile Image

My .02

I started reading this and quit when we got into the pros and cons of phones.

I would like:
1. to be able to easily release, particularly to an existing BCzone that I have released to before
2. To be able to see wishlists
3. to be able to see nearby releases.

Lise46

Profile Image
All I ask for is a Barcode reader. Having that function would be amazing.
Profile Image
I'd go with what albertofarina mentions.
by albertofarina 2 mos ago (5/8/2011)

1) Ability to generate BC-codes on the go
2) Capture and release functions
3) Access to one's bookshelf
4) Geotagged release - allowing one to look if there were any releases around where they are
5) Facebook and Twitter sharing
6) Possibility of photo uploads for release (show where I left the book)

It would also be good to have labels with a QR code on so that those finding a book can scan and journal there and then. It might even up the number of those who journal their finds if it can be done there and then.

Profile Image
Just realized it would be great if it was really easy to attatch photos from you iPhone album to your JE. I love to take photos when releasing, and it would be great if these photos were really easy to add to the release note.
Profile Image
I would love to be able to use the app to find the nearest OBCZ to my current location. I have this feature on several of my apps (ex. Starbucks) and it helps when I'm in a new place find the stuff I care about. Since I can't just Google OBCZ having an app that helps me find one would be awesome!
Profile Image
What I wish is an easy way to find books according ti where I am,and ti thank the person who let the book here.make it simple and friendly please!
Thank you!
Profile Image
I don't care if it's an app, I'd even pay for it if necessary, but it's got to work well and work easily. I need to be able to register books and release books, without toting my laptop along. Anything else is bonus, but what it does it needs to do quickly, before the page times out on the browser (not sure if apps time out, I'm still a newbie, but if a page takes too long to load or process, the phone goes to sleep). And if you charge for the app, I'm waiting around for those "power users" to give some glowing reviews before I buy it. Would rather spend the money on books, unless it makes my life a lot easier.

Oh, and random feature thought - yeah, I'd love to have an easy way to figure out what books I have in my possession (haven't released, but may not have been the original register-er). Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't sort for that now. Ooh, and if I can click on that book "in my possession" and then go directly to "release it" from there...but yeah, this is all bonus.
Profile Image
I'd love to have an easy way to figure out what books I have in my possession (haven't released, but may not have been the original register-er). Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't sort for that now.

Try the sorting/filtering options that are hidden in the small dark green tab on the left. They include 'books in hand'.
Profile Image
I have a goodreads app that's pretty awesome, which includes a barcode reader. I'm with the other posters--I want the ability to release and journal books. Maybe see if anything has been released near where I am currently located.

I have an android phone, and most of those apps are Free.
Profile Image
I'd most like to be able to search for books that are located nearby, and release books (either using your current location or a user-defined location).
Profile Image
that makes it easy to release on the go. I don't have my Android phone yet, but only one more year to go!

Edited to add: I would also love to be able to easily access wishlists, including my own!
Profile Image
I would also love to be able to easily access wishlists, including my own!

You can probably do this already. Try this link, it's a simple table that should work on any mobile device.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/seldombites
Profile Image
Looking forward to a user-friendly and easily accessed on the go app without having to keep typing in the email add and password. Perhaps with different tabs or boxes - one for release books, another for accessing my bookshelf immediate will take us to the actual spot instead of navigating all over the site. if there's a feature for attaching a pic will be good. we might want to take pic of the place we released. Thanks. Hope it won't be a long wait. Currently am accessing the site via iPad, still having to type in my registered email add and password is a hassle.
Profile Image
Register books by scanning the barcode...
Release books, preferably with my iPhone "finding" the location for me...
Being able to upload a photo of the released book/location to the JE...
Being able to search my bookshelf...
Profile Image
I would like to buy some new tech for myself, but I'm thinking maybe I should hold off. Any idea when an app may be available?
Profile Image

Agreeing with

LadyLiana.
As a user of a Nokia smartphone I'm sometimes desparate, because most apps are iphone and android only. Ovi-store version or plain text would be really nice.

And it would be really great if the predefined crossing zones were available while releasing using the mobile phone. Most times I define them before going on holiday/travelling in general.
Profile Image

What I want

To be able to register and release books from my iphone instead of having to wait til I get back to the desktop.
Profile Image
Want barcodescanning for registering and release books, combined with geotagging to make it easier to pick up or release books somewhere
Profile Image
I'd just like to have this app now. It's been way too long.
Profile Image

+1 me too
Profile Image

Word.
Profile Image
I haven't got one, but I wouldn't want that to stop other people from having one :)
Profile Image
I'd like to be able to scan books to add to my wishlist, say I'm in a library and i want to scan one so I can remember the title to read later, instead of writing them all down and going home, logging in and adding them one by one. Also maybe The book scanner could tell me if i already have that book! Ugh I hate duplicates lol.

And something to easily release books on the go and maybe attach a photo! :)
Profile Image
I'd love this feature. I currently get an email up to a day after a release. It would be great to hear straight away.

GPS features, such as finding BC zones nearby, finding releases nearby, etc would be wonderful too.

And I back the suggestions for easy releasing on the move using my current location (GPS again!) and uploading photos.

Oh yes - the bar code reader would be fantastic.
Profile Image
I'd love this feature. I currently get an email up to a day after a release. It would be great to hear straight away.

Now that you're winged, you just have to switch the "Release Alerts"-section in your profile from "Daily Summary" to "Individual Alerts"
Profile Image
I want to be able to enter the name of the town I happen to be travelling in, and find all the books recently released within a stated number of miles. It would be nice if I could choose a ten mile radius or a fifty mile radius, for example, and I would also like to be able to choose to limit the time period. I would not want to know about books released more than a month prior, for example.
Profile Image
I want it simple. I want to quickly register and release. Also, I think you should work on a mobile site before apps since that can be available to all mobile users and not just apple drones.
Profile Image
Ooops there are actually 2 more things:
1) make the app moveable to the sd card

And
2) don't ask for intrusive and unnecessary permissions
Profile Image
I would like to have an app that allows for quick registering of books (not so many steps like on the website, the ISBN (or title) entered, the title and author pop up, genre of book and rating selected, then the BCID is given. The screen is small so I don't want to have to punch a lot of tiny buttons like some apps have!

For releasing, I would like the app to recognize my location so that I just enter the BCID and the city, date and time are recognized automatically for the release with the option of changing any of them if necessary (like if I was going to release at a later time). There would also be a spot to type in the specific location for the release.

If I am going to do more like post on the forum or PM people, I'll do it from my larger computer. I look forward to seeing the app!
Profile Image

Ugh

I was going to post a request but I am so disgusted by some of the posts on this thread that I think I'll just register my disgust and leave it at that. What happened to BXer civility?
Profile Image

OBCZ

where is the nearest OBCZ, especially when travelling abroad.
Profile Image
For it to be released before iPhone's are obsolete.
Profile Image
I would love a barcode scanner (similar to the one the amazon app has) so I can register books on the go quickly, without having to enter book and author information.
In addition, a notification system for recently released books in my area.

And, of course, basic features like registering books, journaling found books, releasing books on the go, etc.
Profile Image
I would just like to register, release both wild and controlled, and do journal entries. I also think a scanner would make it easier to register new books. And I like the idea of the nearest obcz would be a good idea but these last 2 would just be special extras for me.

Any idea when the app, or at least a mobile version of the site will be ready? I love bookcrossing, but have slacked off as I have been using my smart phone more and more.
Profile Image
Everytime I use the geocaching app (http://itunes.apple.com/app/geocaching/id292242503?mt=8) I'm wishing I'd had something like this for bookcrossing.

As far as I've read the previous comments in the small amount of time I have right now, I think most features have already been mentioned. Summarising, I'd like to have a 'hunt/catch' as well as 'release' feature (starting with release), location determination by gps AND name search, access to camera/library to add journal pics, easy access to bookshelf, BCID-scanner.

A plus would be easy registering of new books by barcode scan too.. :)

A lot to ask, I know, but yes I would definitely pay for such an app!
Profile Image
I would like to be able to register, journal and release from a bookcrossing app.

Anything else I can do from my browser with out too much hassle.

But a nice quick and easy to use app for releasing while I'm out and about would be awesome!
Profile Image

App

It would be great if you could use the book's release location as the destination marker in a mapping tool so you could follow the map to the exact location where the book was released. Hope you understand what I mean! So maybe you could see a map of your local area, see markers highlighting where books have been released, click on a marker, and it would give you mapping and directions (like TomTom) to that location.
Profile Image
The single most important thing for me for a Bookcrossing app, aside from it being on Android Platform as soon after iPhone as possible, is for there to be an app. So, *gentle nudge*, I sit anxiously awaiting news!
Profile Image
My Android is waiting in anticipation.
Profile Image
I would definitely be interested in an android app to release books and make journal entries.
Profile Image
At long last, we are able to start work again on a mobile phone application for BookCrossing. We will eventually be building apps for different phones, but our first one will be for iPhone users.

Our designers have all sorts of ideas, but we want to know what you, real BookCrossers, want your phone app to be able to do for you. ... What would you like to have in an app? ...

Wow... logged into BookCrossing for the first time today in several years and I have to admit that I'm blown away by the fact that an app isn't already available. It seems like such a natural fit...

As for features, I definitely want an option to scan book barcodes for entering content (which is one of the reasons I stopped actively using BookCrossing), I want geotagging for wild releases and catches and, of course, an ability to add a journal during the process. A nice addition would be photographs, but that's not a must-have for me personally.

It would also be nice to somehow automate the catching process... maybe through QR Code use?

A few years ago I would have wanted an ability to look at my bookshelf and tags (wants, TBR, etc.), but I've already adopted another app which allows me functionality. That said, I think it should be something included in the app because if it isn't others like me will search out something that does work in that way.

Profile Image
The things I really want to see:
1) Access to my shelf and wishlist.
2) Ability to register, release and journal on the go.
3) Access to forums (I can't easily do this on my Android)
4) Locating bc members near me (might be nice in bookstores)

Things to pay for:
1) Uploading photos (no offense, just not a feature I currently use.)
2) Viewing other people's wishlists
3) Bar code scanner

Keep in mind 3 things. First, the site needs to be mobile friendly as more people are giving up computers for smartphones and tablets. Second, the cost of the app needs to be minimal, otherwise people won't use it. Third, both apps should have access to the store, and maybe some app-exclusives, like labels or something, only available in the app market.

Final note: Please release for Android first! Everyone makes an iPhone app, bc has always gone against the flow. Make an Android app first. Also, though everyone I personally know has an Android or iPhone, don't forget the blackberry!
Profile Image
I went to London yesterday and would have loved to be able to look for 'OCBZ near me' by GPS. Big ask I know and sorry if someone else has already suggested it. It would just be fab to be able to use any spare time finding books and releasing them locally as well as wild releasing
Profile Image
At this point I don't care what it has. It's got to be better than nothing.
Profile Image

!
Profile Image

AMEN! An app is so needed, and at least an update would be wonderful! When I talk with friends about Bookcrossing, they cannot believe a site as big and popular as this doesn't have an app. Releasing books would be so much easier with an app.
Profile Image

AMEN! An app is so needed, and at least an update would be wonderful! When I talk with friends about Bookcrossing, they cannot believe a site as big and popular as this doesn't have an app. Releasing books would be so much easier with an app.

Or at least a light mobile version!

I tried logging in on my friend's smartphone the other day and gave up after about 10 minutes of uselessly trying. There was NO field for the password once I clicked to enter my email; the only option when finished entering my email was "go", which, of course, returned an error because the site tried to log me in before I had the chance to add my password as well.

Was really disappointed. :(

Profile Image
This thread is a year old. We'd all love an update on where this is at!

Yesterday I had two catches before I was able to make my release notes. (Not that I'm complaining about catches, but these won't show as released or found for either parties.)
Profile Image

From what I've read at two other book-related sites, Amazon will not allow websites to make use of Amazon data for their mobile apps, even if the website has an agreement already for use of Amazon data on the website. One site decided to disconnect from Amazon's data altogether and proceeded with the mobile app development, the other kept its website's link to Amazon and put the idea of an official mobile app on hold.

Which way will Bookcrossing go? It doesn't sound like an easy choice, and my guess is that we'll be kept waiting for some time to come.

Profile Image

From my what I've read at two other book-related sites, Amazon will not allow websites to make use of Amazon data for their mobile apps,
[...]
Which way will Bookcrossing go? It doesn't sound like an easy choice, and my guess is that we'll be kept waiting for some time to come.

Now, that's from the point of view for registering, which is IMHO not a significant use for an app.

The most advantages from an app for smartphones are:
- to scan a BCID and allow the finder to make a (anonymous) journal right ahead.(°)
- to scan a BCID and allow the bookcrosser to release a book right a head, possibly with adding a picture to the release note.

AFAIK - None of these actions requires the use of an amazon api...
(And if it's for the cover of the book, well, drop it on an app - it will only - depending on the covers graphic - slow down the mobile internet connection (of course, depending on your connection).

- - - -
(°) imagine people finding a book, scanning the BCID (best as QR) with their smartphone and a very small one line journalentry would tell:

"This book has been seen at *GEOLOCATION*"

Honestly, who cares WHO has seen that book at that Geolocation. Books mentioning where they are would be perfect (at least for me). Don't care *who* has made that scan. And if it's a BooKCrosser, she will write a proper journal entry anyway...

*focus on easy journal entry procedure for anonymous finders*
Profile Image
I find releasing books from my phone using the regular website terribly cumbersome and inconvenient, since it's not optimized for small touchscreens without a mouse, and it takes a long time to load each page if the mobile data link is a bit slow (which it often is).

Here's what I want in a mobile-enabled Bookcrossing thing, whether it be a website or an app:

1. Pre-numbered booklabels with QR codes.
2. Use the phone's location service to guess which release zone I'm using.
3. Persistent login. (I.e. not needing to log in every time I start my browser or reboot my phone.)

The idea is that I find typing on a phone inconvenient, and it's something I would prefer to do as little as possible.
Here's how the QR-coded-labels would work:
1. I stick one in a book.
2. I scan the QR code.
3. I scan the book's barcode, which reads the ISBN and looks it up on Google Books.
4. I check the data and register the book.
5. I scan the QR code again, and this time I select "I'm releasing this book". Phone suggests release zone automatically.

When somebody else comes along, they pick up the book, and scan the QR code. If they have the BC app, it opens. Otherwise they go to the BC mobile website, to say they found the book.

Minimal typing, as few rolldown boxes as possible. A good mobile app/website should make it easier to handle books.
Profile Image
This all as an adroid app, would be great. The website is really annyoing on smartfones.
Are there any news about progress?

I find releasing books from my phone using the regular website terribly cumbersome and inconvenient, since it's not optimized for small touchscreens without a mouse, and it takes a long time to load each page if the mobile data link is a bit slow (which it often is).

Here's what I want in a mobile-enabled Bookcrossing thing, whether it be a website or an app:

1. Pre-numbered booklabels with QR codes.
2. Use the phone's location service to guess which release zone I'm using.
3. Persistent login. (I.e. not needing to log in every time I start my browser or reboot my phone.)

The idea is that I find typing on a phone inconvenient, and it's something I would prefer to do as little as possible.
Here's how the QR-coded-labels would work:
1. I stick one in a book.
2. I scan the QR code.
3. I scan the book's barcode, which reads the ISBN and looks it up on Google Books.
4. I check the data and register the book.
5. I scan the QR code again, and this time I select "I'm releasing this book". Phone suggests release zone automatically.

When somebody else comes along, they pick up the book, and scan the QR code. If they have the BC app, it opens. Otherwise they go to the BC mobile website, to say they found the book.

Minimal typing, as few rolldown boxes as possible. A good mobile app/website should make it easier to handle books.

Profile Image
Now that I have a little droid of my own... I would like CROSSOVER.

If I find a book in the wild, or leave a book in the wild, I'd like to enter it in the site... and check off boxes to do the following at the same time...

1... Twitter it.
2... FourSquare it, so people who use one that can find it or know that they missed out on it.
3... Facebook it, because you know that even a modest horse likes to brag sometimes.
4... Attach a picture of my find, if I just happen to have one.
Profile Image
Any closer to an iPhone app since this thread began last year? I'd love to be able to release on the go!
Profile Image
This is a big wish! :)
Profile Image
I would very much like the possibility to release books. I tried working with the site as is, but on the phone it is terrible.
Profile Image
My laptop is slowly dying so I've been using bookcrossing on the iPad or on my android and it can be a real pain...can not wait for the app...
Profile Image
Any updates on this yet?

I was in the App store today and searched for the app (I just assumed there would be one!) and I found one called "BookcrossingApp" it claims to be the official Book Crossing App, but I'm not convinced its an App linked to this site. Can anyone confirm if it is or not?
Profile Image

RE: Update?

"BookcrossingApp" it claims to be the official Book Crossing App, but I'm not convinced its an App linked to this site.

It's not. It uses a different numbering system.
Profile Image
Thanks, I just found another post on it & was coming here to update :) *Sigh* the wait continues!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/502621
Profile Image
Has this idea completely stalled?
Profile Image
Still in the works or just dead??
Profile Image
Any news?
Is this in progress or completely shelved for now?
Profile Image

No updates?

I can see how an app could generate money for BC if there were paid features (book sorting, forum, etc), and leave release and journal capabilities free. Are there any updates whatsoever on the app project? Was it discussed at the con this year? Would it be possible to get a realistic figure of what the cost would be for a fundraising project to have an app developed?
Profile Image
I'm not sure this is an "official" app. When I try to log in, it does not recognize me as a registered user. Is this actually connected with BookCrossing.com?
Profile Image
Is this actually connected with BookCrossing.com?

No, it's not.
Profile Image
That's what I had decided. Thanks for the answer.
Profile Image
Ability for it to hold multiple accounts and be able to flip from one account to another without having to log in and out.
Profile Image
... I'd like a quick and easy way to make release notes whilst out and about. I also love the idea of being able to take a pic of the release and upload there and then with the release notes.

I haven't jumped on the iPhone bandwagon yet (but I'm not against it, I may decide to in the future!) however, I do own a smartphone so I will look forward to the app being released eventually for android and Windows phones.
Profile Image
If there was an app, I might actually use Book Crossing - and I'd pay for the app. I've been a member for years but to be able to release, and then log that release immediately - it'd be a bonus.
Profile Image
I would want an app :-)

Previous  1 2 3 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.