[COMPLETE] Welcome to 2020’s BC24HrReadathon: Check in thread

Forum » Fun and Games | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Welcome to the 2nd #BC24HrReadathon !!

The aim of this readathon is that from 12:01am - 11:59pm Pacific Time Zone (PDT), there will be a BookCrosser somewhere in the world who is reading a book as part of this Readathon!
Check in with us here at any time over the next 24 hours, to let us know the hour(s) you're reading, and where in the world you are participating from.

It's 3 am in Northern Virginia, USA, the perfect time for an insomniac Bookcrosser like myself to jump in at the start of the Readathon! Anyone else out there reading?

Anyone else out there reading?

YES...12:01am in Mesa, Arizona and my READ is ON!!! 😊 I checked in here first https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9485814 because I didn't see a thread here when I first signed in. I'm reading in Owl Feathers by Robin Payton aka our fellow Bookcrosser 4libros...I hope she's reading with us. 😇 https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15824969 I'm picking up on page 117 with a Poem entitled NO! that's dated April 17, 1991 (April is National Poetry Month😉), and I hope to finish by 11:59pm...HAPPY READING ALL!!!📚

It’s 9 am here, perfect way to start the Saturday.

I woke up early, already went shopping for groceries and start reading now, I have five books going these days:
Hilary Mantel: The Mirror & the Light
Pitchaya Sudbanthad: Bangkok Wakes to Rain
Charles Dickens: Great Expectations
Yuval Noah Harari: 21 Lessons for the 21st Century
and on audiobook: Elif Shafak: 10 Minutes and 38 Seconds in this Strange World
https://www.flickr.com/---/49787515286

It's just past 5pm Saturday. I'm reading The Woman from Saint Germain by J.R.Lonie.
Happy reading!

It's morning in the Netherlands and i started with an audio book so i can do my cleaning and decluttering ( working to get more minimalistic)

I started waterwitch by deborah leblanc

Inge 1990, I’ve started my first Project 333 in the beginning of the month. :) it does help to change perspectives.

I’m in the 3rd chapter of my book by now and continue after grabbing a cup of tea.

It does doesn't it!
Really happy to get into the proces although i guess i will never be a ' true' minimalist

It does doesn't it!
Really happy to get into the proces although i guess i will never be a ' true' minimalist

I don’t believe there is something like an untrue minimalist vs a true minimalist. It’s for everyone to define what minimalism means for them and to experiment with what they think their limits are. :)

True, I'm in a few minimalist groups for inspiration but they are sometimes bashing that people aren't minimalistic enough

Wow, now that’s sad (for them). Don’t let them get you down!

wingBallycumberwing 1 mo ago
WINNER!
Thank you to all who entered our Hour #1 Giveaway, by posting a picture on social media to show us your dedicated BC24HrReadathon TBR pile.

Our winner is Enitnaj!!

Congratulations! A book of sticky notes in your language of choice is your prize.
We’ll reach out to you over the course of the next few days.

Stay tuned for the next Readathon giveaway, which will be announced here soon in this forum thread!

wingEnitnajwing 1 mo ago
RE: WINNER!
Thank you to all who entered our Hour #1 Giveaway, by posting a picture on social media to show us your dedicated BC24HrReadathon TBR pile.

Our winner is Enitnaj!!

Congratulations! A book of sticky notes in your language of choice is your prize.
We’ll reach out to you over the course of the next few days.

Stay tuned for the next Readathon giveaway, which will be announced here soon in this forum thread!

Thanks! That’s so nice!
Just read for about half an hour in my bed, but my book is actually too heavy to keep that up... so now out for breakfast and some forumming. It’s 9.40 am here in the Netherlands. So a good day of reading ahead!

Something easy-to-read these last days:
"The uncommon appeal of clouds" by Alexander McCall Smith
which I may finish soon.
Happy reading around the world!

Have got a reading playlist going and am currently reading The Gentleman's Guide to Getting Lucky by Mackenzi Lee. Is a novella I got from the library before the lockdown.

For our 2nd giveaway, in hour #2 we want to know how you acquired the book in your hands.
A thrift/charity/opportunity store purchase, a library book, a BookCrossing sweepstakes win, a loan from a family member, a book club read that you purchased new online?

Let us know here for a chance to win 3 months of Wings!

🦉Owl Feathers by Robin Payton aka fellow Bookcrosser 4libros was a RABCK from fellow Bookcrosser smhamn, who received it as a Christmas gift from 4libro's husband, fellow Bookcrosser peregrin, & I will be RABCKing it forward to another Bookcrosser when I have finished reading it. Bookcrossers are AWEsome, & so is Owl Feathers!!! 😊
THANK YOU for this 24HrReadathon📚, and the chance to win 3 months of Wings!!!💖

Hilary Mantel: The Mirror & the Light.
A few weeks ago I wasn't able to decide which of my many many unread books to pick next, so I went out to a lovely little English bookshop in my neighbourhood, thought they could use some support in the age of Corona. But it was closed. As my mind was set on a new book I turned to one of the big chain bookshops (which I usually avoid). I had promised myself only to buy a wishlist book, nothing else. But then I found ten wishlist books in the English language section! (I didn't even check the German shelves, there must have been more.) I can proudly state that I didn't buy them all, only three. Already finished "My Sister, the Serial Killer" and "Girl, Woman, Other" (both on the Booker list 2019) - and Hilary Mantel's The Mirror & the Light (next Booker winner? Her previous Thomas Cromwell books (Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies) both won the Booker). 850 pages, quite a brick. I read it in small doses, to make it last longer. Just like I wouldn't finish a box of chocolates in ten minutes neither.

I’m reading Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody, not yet registered, launching myself in a moment into chapter 7. I’ve received it years ago from a un-related (sort of adopted) grandfather - like many others of my books. It’s time to move it and I was a little bit stuck with my ongoing reads, so instead I grabbed it this morning.

For our 2nd giveaway, in hour #2 we want to know how you acquired the book in your hands.
A thrift/charity/opportunity store purchase, a library book, a BookCrossing sweepstakes win, a loan from a family member, a book club read that you purchased new online?

The winner is Moriquen!
3 months have been added to your Wings!
Congratulations

Stay tuned for more giveaways in a few hours time!

The winner is Moriquen!

🧨🎉✨CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS, Moriquen!!!✨🎉🧨

The winner is Moriquen!
3 months have been added to your Wings!
Congratulations

Stay tuned for more giveaways in a few hours time!

Wow, thanks!!

wingFlorence71wing 1 mo ago
I'm in !
And begin with "Le pacte d'Avril" by Sophie Astrabie, I started yesterday.

I’m reading Knife by Jo Nesbo. We were due to go to Sefton Park, Liverpool today for the Pokemon Go Safari event so I’ll be keeping half an eye on my phone as well for whatever goodies I can pick up remotely from home :) Stay safe everyone x

If you wish to have friends from France for long-distance gifts, feel free to send me a PM with your code. (I thought the event was only tomorrow...)

I started reading at 8am in the UK and am continuing Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz. Apparently it cost my 50p from a charity shop!

wingiiwiwing 1 mo ago
I'm in too.
I'm reading The long way to a small angry planet by Becky Chamber. It was recommended by a collegue in the bookshop I work in parttime. They are going to make a tunnel in space sublayer, oh my! It reminds me a bit of how spacetravel in Dune worked. There they needed spice (He who controls the spice...) to do so, here it is done by a species living in conjunction with a virus.

Currently reading three books.
"Red, White and Royal Blue" by Casey McQuistion
"Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" by Lynne Truss and
"Mistborn Trilogy" by Brandon Sanderson
I got 2 books in the library and 1 book in an English Book Sale in Munich. I have plenty more books to read on my TBR pile to keep me going throughout the day. Just started reading this morning at 9 a.m. German time. Looking forward to my day of relaxing and reading

between 9.30 and 10 this morning (Belgium). In bed, in a Thrall's tale. :D Now I need to work a little. More reading this afternoon.

The book was sent to mee as a RABCK by bookcrosser lauraloo29.

We’ve had readers for hours 1 and 2 which is awesome!
Entering hour 3, who is newly joining, and who is still with us from previous hours??

We’ve had readers for hours 1 and 2 which is awesome!
Entering hour 3, who is newly joining, and who is still with us from previous hours??

I'm still here since the beginning of hour 1, and since April IS National Poetry Month, I'd like to share two of the poems I read from 4libros' Owl Feathers book during hour 2 that were written for Bookcrossing.com.

👉This one is posted on her BC Profile Page:

Planetfall (2003)

Every object carries a world.
Books fill my house, floor to ceiling, remaining empty until they're read.
I devour a story a day but the stacks grow higher.
Husks surround me, beckoning,
"Make me real!"
"No, me!"
"No, me!"
Calling for attention like corn stalks that have grown too tall.

I give them all away,
Planting seeds,
Hoping for fertile minds,
Toiling against the blindness of strangers,
Taking comfort in a future crop.
A mere farmer, who listens when the wind speaks.
Sometimes I talk back,
Never saying the right charm to control the weather.
I am buffeted by faceless storms,
But the seedlings remain safe.
My failings won't stop this rain.
These worlds belong in someone else's hands now.

👉This one was posted by Fellow BCer creativeChaos:

Best Book Forward by 4libros
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/491436

Such beautiful poems, I especially love the second one!

Still here :-) Taking a break, brewing some tea, will soon continue with "Bangkok Wakes to Rain" by Pitchaya Sudbanthad.

It's Saturday noon here in Finland and I'm just joining in the reading with Lucy Hughes-Hallett's Peculiar Ground.

My book is "Demian" by Herman Hesse, in Russian. I got it from a fellow Book- and Post- Crosser in Moscow. I'm absolutely loving it so far! https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14857436/
PS, Aaaand, I'm joining just now.

I can't wait to do that as soon as it is light outside!!!🌙Here in Mesa, Arizona, USA we are in waning crescent moon and Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter were aligned and visible during this past week. https://earthsky.org/---/moon-3-planets-before-daybreak-april-14-16

Hello it’s 10.10am in the UK, snuggled up reading Gone by Leona Deakin. Reading this on my Fire which is a lifeline these days not being able to get my hands on new books. Happy Reading!

I'm reading Pompeii by Robert Harris as we were due to go on holiday to Italy this year and I had been looking forward to seeing Naples and Pompeii

I loved that little book so much! Enjoy!

aatefe 1 mo ago
Hi everyone!
I’m reading the persian translation of ‘It’s not the end of the book’ by Umberto Eco.
It’s 1:50 p.m. here in Tehran.

yaroujidai 1 mo ago
Add me!
Hello bookcrossers.I am Sugimasa,Add me.I live in KOBE from Japan.

Japan is 16:26 18/04/2020.
I am reading『ボクには世界がこう見えていた』by Kazuhiko Kobayashi
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15914101

Had to abandon the book for some time, to meet on ZOOM with the GoldCoast attendees, which was so nice!

Had to abandon the book for some time, to meet on ZOOM with the GoldCoast attendees, which was so nice!

Me too, it was lovely seeing everyone

Me too, it was lovely seeing everyone

It was!

I finished The Gentleman's Guide to Getting Lucky.
Took a bit of a break to cook and eat dinner, play Animal Crossing and then did a poll on twitter to decide what to read next. There was a tie so got one of my friends to pick. So my next read is Please Tell Me! Galko-Chan volume 1 by Kenya Suzuki which is an manga about high school girls asking advice. It was loaned to me by another friend so I'll have to give it back after lockdown.

…. Started Murder Has A Motive by Francis Duncan last night. I've a copy of Hard Times by Charles Dickens on the go too, but I think vintage crime is the one for this hour.

I’m going to be trying to finish Blether, a compilation of Scottish prose and poetry. https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15067515/
I’m having a slow start to the day.

ETA Finished!

I’m going to be trying to finish Blether, a compilation of Scottish prose and poetry. https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15067515/

I missed you at the ZOOM meet up!

I couldn’t cope with working out the time etc! Much love to you from me x

I couldn’t cope with working out the time etc! Much love to you from me x
my google agenda did it for me...
but much love in return to you!

I’m taking a break, after 13 chapters. :)
Have fun reading everyone!

I’ve actually completed my first read by now (and registered it https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15914201 ). I’ll move to another book, handed down to me by a family member. I got stuck in it a while ago and feel now ready to tackle it again and finish it. (It’s https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13579252/ )

I’ve read for about an hour and a half this morning. I’m reading The Poison Bed by E C Fremantle and am about half way through. Hoping I can finish it this weekend.

I'm in Sweden and I'm starting my first reading session now - The Book of Memory by Petina Gappah.

This manga is wild and I see it was made into an anime so I'll have to check that out at some point.
Going to take another break soon.

Lausanne, Switzerland.
I've been reading for 2 hours this morning, will be reading for 2 more this afternoon plus 2-3 this evening.

Le clan Rhett Buttler, Donald McCaig (536 pages)

Just after lunchtime (yet I am still baking the bread for lunch, got distracted), but I've been reading during the morning hours as well.

I am reading "Sara en Liv" written by Suzan Hilhorst, an autobiographical book about the loss of two little sisters and the impact it had on their family.

I am also reading "Hallucinating Foucault" written by Patricia Duncker. The very first, very short sentence gripped me and made me want to read on: "The dream unfolds like this."

Ah, the bread is ready to come out of the oven. Will check in later again.

Had a break after the first one to do a few chores :-)

I have been reading from the start this morning her in Norway. I have just finished Vannet( The Water) by Arnaldur Indridason. I'm now starting to read Intensive Care by Janet Frame. A book I picked up at a OBCZ some time ago, probably years. I guess I'll must now get out on the terrace in the sun and continue my reading.

Nordpirat 1 mo ago
Coffee...
Short break for coffee after 1 hour and 3 chapters read.

Looks rather pretty with the spring flowers still visible through the dusting of snow!

I just finished a marvelous - and very creepy - anthology, Terrible Things by David Surface ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15884959/ ), and have begun a "biography of things", Ballpoint by Gyoergy Moldova ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14940995/ ). That one's subtitled "A Tale of Genius and Grit, Perilous Times, and the Invention that Changed the Way We Write", and the "perilous times" bit seemed to be appropriate!

... reading from 2pm to 3pm local time. I am just about to start "The Thing Around Your Neck" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I love her other books. I posted a picture to Instagram @leisha_camden with the hashtag. :-)

I loved The thing around you neck. It made me seek out Adichies other books. And now, to my great sorrow, I've read them all and desperately waiting for her to publish another one.
Now I feel like re-reading The Thing around your neck, it's been a while since I read it.

Then sleep.
Have started (well started where I left off a few years ago when I took this book on holiday) The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. My first non-fiction book of this readathon.

I’m currently reading Death Row the final minutes by Michelle Lyons

I enjoy short stories during stressful times. Reading Astray by Emma Donoghue.

Nordpirat 1 mo ago
I'm back
Starting another reading session. I'm planning to read for at least an hour, perhaps more.

Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson.

It's 8:56am EST in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. This morning from 7:30am-8:30am I was reading Lab Girl by Hope Jahren https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15913822
I will finish this book sometime today.
I plan to start Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver. https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15913824
I'm also planning to read on and off, Twinkie, Deconstructed by Steve Ettlinger
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14468324

I will be reading the above mentioned books in between reading the Washington Post news paper (does that count? it's actual hard copy paper?) and listening to WAMU radio my local NPR station.

starting with 3 chapters of chicken soup for the soul (csfts) Think Positive, Live Happy. I will report back when I finish.

Entering hour 8 - you’re really doing it!!
As hour 7 clicks behind us, we head into hour 8 of this collective worldwide reading shindig!
You’re all really making this happen!!

Here's my start for the day: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15439304
I actually started this about 1:30am (CST) from Belvidere, Illinois, USA.

While the laundry runs and the maid vacuums the floor, I'm moving out on the porch in the sunlight for some more reading.

wingshawing 1 mo ago
7:03 a. m.
finished 3 chapters of CSFTS. Going to have breakfast will check in later

I have paused a little bit to videocall with my sister and to eat a sandwich, but most of the time I have been reading on.

It's 4:11 pm, BTW.

I’m not good at saying in advance when and what I will read. But here is a summary so far.

First hour and a half with 20 minutes unaccounted for due to a situation in real life: Audio book “Ett jävla solsken” by Fatima Bremmer.

Hour five, six and seven with small breaks in between, I read in the book version of “Ett jävla solsken” and then started on the Wife by Meg Wollitzer.

Now as the clock is ten minutes in on hour eight I will continue on the Wife.

I have posted in stories on instagram and some on twitter as well.

Oh! I really liked "Ett jävla solsken"!

Am close to the halfway point of The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin so thought this was a good point to try get some sleep
Will get back to reading when I wake up

Am close to the halfway point of The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin so thought this was a good point to try get some sleep
Will get back to reading when I wake up

Having a difficult time with that book, she is really a piece of work, can't stand her!

For our 3rd giveaway, in hours #8 & #9 we want to know where your book is taking you?
Did you pick a book set in a far away place, are you back in time with history, or staying local?

Let us know here for a chance to win 25 x BookCrossing Bookmarks in your language of choice. They’re two-sided, one-of-a-kind bookmarks, to grab attention, mark a page, or spread the BookCrossing movement.

In my mind I'm in Ireland, in one Dublin backstreet to be exact - sometimes in 2008 (when the crime scene investigation is taking place), other times in 1985 (when the victim was last seen). It's fascinating. I'm also learning so much Irish slang. :)

(My book is Faithful Place by Tana French. Her mysteries are highly addictive.)

My book takes me to Tudor England, the times of Edward VI., son of Henry VIII, and a murder mystery during a peasant revolt.

I'm in England in the 1300's learning some more about Katherine Swynford.

I’m currently just finishing up on death row in Texas USA

My book is taking me to a prison i Zimbabwe. And through the memories of Memory also to the places of her childhood - in Zimbabwe and abroad (I'm not exactly sure to where abroad, I haven't gotten to that part yet ;) ).

But also in France, in Germany, researching and reading manuscripts and inventing (or reconstructing?) the Plan.
(Foucault’s Pendulum by Umberto Eco)

After some interruptions during the day just finished Alexander McCall Smith's " The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds" leaving Isabel Dalhousie lying in her garden in Edinburgh regarding the clouds.
Now looking for another book to read later in the afternoon or evening.

we want to know where your book is taking you
A 4libros' "From That Day Forward" 2001 Poem line read in hour 8 describes it perfectly:

..."Where water and sky and city
All met at once"...

Quite literally, in fact...as I made it through hour 3 before needing some sleep before then getting startled awake in hour 6 to enjoy a few more poems before realizing that I needed to get things watered in the garden and yard to extend their futile life before it was any warmer (I can no longer take the heat this city in the Sonoran desert has to offer), as temperatures here will be in the upper 80's and into the upper 90's already during the week ahead. We have been spoiled with fairly mild temperatures thus far this year, and badly needed rain early on this spring brought floral delights☘🌹, & a Ladybug!!!🐞

I’m in the Tower of London in the 1600s with Frances Howard. I’m really enjoying this book.

I'm in the bayou! Or Ireland..

Bayou is something i would like to visit when i will be older 🤣

The marble collector is in a bit history ( i guess around the 2nd world war or bit before, can't put my finger on it yet) and water witch is in the now.

I'm in Istanbul.
Elif Shafak: 10 Minutes, 38 Seconds in This Strange World, a great novel - https://bookmarks.reviews/---/103993/

I’m in St John’s Wood (North West London) in the 1920s with Daisy Fletcher (Dalrymple), reading Die Laughing by Carola Dunn.

Not too far geographically from my reality of North East London.

we want to know where your book is taking you
This 4libros' "Texture" May 21, 1998 poem line:

"Such a wide variety of textures,
My friends began asking for recipes."

...followed by several mouthwatering descriptions of various culinary delights, has me standing in the kitchen wondering what I might quickly prepare as a bit of brunch before I walk through death's door with this insightful author as I finishing reading her "Owl Feathers" and find myself in need of chocolate, which is a very rare occurrence for me.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.