coco family coming to Athens in February

Forum » Greek - Ελληνικό | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Dear Athens bookcrossers, some of you might remember Mrcoco7 and me from the convention in 2016. We often think about your lovely city and the wonderful time we spent with you, so we are going to visit again, February 15th to 22th.
So, is anyone up for meeting with us?
And do you have any recommendations what to do around this time of the year? We are going to bring our children, 8 and 12 years old.

I'll be very happy to see you again! Ιf you haven't booked a hotel, think about staying at our house.

So, is anyone up for meeting with us?

Yes, of course ! Just have to be in the evening if a working day.
Will you stay all days in Athens or are you also thinking of renting a car to visit places such as the Meteores, Delphi or the Peloponnese ? If you stay in Athens, there is plenty to do with children and also nice one-day excursions.

have nothing planned yet.
I also totally rely on your restaurant recommendations, because I forgot all the names of the places we went to last time.

We are looking forward to see you again.
Let us know where are you going to stay and let the food plans on us. We'll be there on afternoons.
Any plans for day trips and activities out of Athens?

swiftmuzik 3 wks ago
music

We have rented an apartment near Acropolis Museum, so a lot of the city centre is walkable from there.
For day trips, I thought about going to Delphi, but I'm not sure if it is too far. Would you recommend it? What about Sounion, is it worth a trip?
If we decide to skip the day trips altogether, I'm sure we find enough to see and to do in Athens.

The Acropolis museum area is really nice and indeed everything you need to visit is at walking distance. You might also use the public transportation to go to the seaside for example or the Archeological museum. There is a bus to Sounio but not much to do there except for seeing the ruins of the temple and the view to the sea. Delphi certainly deserves a visit but it's a two hours and half drive. However, daily guided excursions by bus are organised by tour operators, it could be a more relaxing option. Also consider a day trip to Aegina island by taking the ferry boat from Piraeus port, it's close and easy. Or if you have a large budget, go to Hydra island. You can check prices and hours on www.ferryhopper.com.
I would suggest that we have a bookcrossers' meeting at the beginning of your stay to discuss further about your visit plan if you wish.
Close to the Acropolis museum, there is a nice place for book lovers : The Little Tree Books & Coffee. It's a bookstore and coffee shop that has also a swapping shelve which is a good spot for releases. Name a day and let's have a meeting after 5 pm.

We arrive on Saturday the 15th in the late afternoon and probably need some time to settle in. So let's meet on Sunday if that's okay with everyone. The Little Tree Cafe looks really nice.
On my list so far is the Acropolis and museum, the Archeological museum, SNFCC, Piraeus, maybe the museum ships. Aegina island is a really good idea, too. And I just read about the exhibition in the Historical Museum that uses Playmobil, that is a must see.
That's already more than enough for a week :-) I think we need to come back another time and take a round trip to see Delphi and Meteora.

OK with me. Let's say at 6 pm ? The meeting point could be outside the Acropolis metro station exit Makrygianni/ Dionysiou Aeropaghitou.
The Little Tree is a nice place to stay outside (very few seats inside), however the area is crowded with coffee shops and nice places to have a drink in the eventuality of bad weather.

Have also in mind that there is an excellent reproduction of the Acropolis in Lego pieces at the Acropolis museum. It´s a donation from an Australian University. Sadly it is exposed in a remote corner of the top floor, it´s very easy to miss it. Ask for it if you can´t find it, you will not be disappointed.

I was last weekend with my daughter there, kids always find their way to lego thiings, she loved it!

OK, see you there!

Sorry for this but I will not be able to make it on Sunday as I will be travelling out of Athens for a few days due to an unexpected event , back on Tuesday. I hope you have a great time !

Sorry for this but I will not be able to make it on Sunday as I will be travelling out of Athens for a few days due to an unexpected event , back on Tuesday. I hope you have a great time !

That's a pity. I hope it wasn't because of bad news. All the best for you!

That's a pity. I hope it wasn't because of bad news. All the best for you!

Everything is OK, just travelling in Western Greece for a few days which is great but such a bad timing...

Hello coco7 and coco family. No time, pressure at work, so happy to see you after all those years! Unfortunately weather will be a little crapy, little rainy, little windy, temp 7-12c.
Delphi is a good idea but you must start really early and spend the day there. Meteora is even more hours away, 4 hours driving. I really don’t know what to say.
I suggest Aegina and of course Hydra islands.
In Athens also:
• You can visit Basil & Elise Goulandris Foundation https://goulandris.gr/---/be-athens
• Archeological museum of Athens is really close to my home so if you decide to go after 15:00 let me know to join you.
• Close to Archeological museum there is Hellenic Motor Museum. http://www.hellenicmotormuseum.gr/en/ which is very interesting.
• I strongly suggest a daytrip to Sounion and after that Lavrion, the closest town, 9km away, which has a very beautiful Mineral museum with unique minerals http://istoriko.lavreotiki.gr/---/o and the new Archeological museum of Lavrio
http://odysseus.culture.gr/---/eh155.jsp?...
I can provide you info about bus hours and bus stops to Sounio-Lavrio because I know the area.
Restaurant recommendations will follow. Let me know what would you like.
Love.

Thanks a lot!
I had some tough work weeks behind me, but just checked in for our flight. Yeah!

So we stick to the meeting place and time as suggested by Lubiette?
So happy to see you!

If the time and place suits you, we can meet there.

If the time and place suits you, we can meet there.

Yes, it's good for us.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.