[SEE UPDATE] "No book was found in our database. ..."

Forum » Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Now that it has been acknowledged that the error "No book was found in our database. ... etc. " routinely occurs when folks try to register a book, I think - you may disagree - that it would be most helpful to learn at what times this error condition -= which, when it happens , is across the board =- occurs.

As a wrap-up for today's business I will report that the condition has existed from -at least - Jun 12th ,21:45 hours till now , June 13th, 00:50 hours. < YYC times >

Hope this info will help narrowing down what causes this particular problem .

G'nite.

Please if you can give J4shaw and the tech team the book title, author and isbn you were trying to input and which browser and computer:

For example:(not actual error just an example)
using google chrome on my ipad I tried to register:
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent ISBN: 9780316243919
and received the following error message....

That way they can try to input the same info as you and see the error in order to direct the tech team in the correct direction. And to expedite the tech team with their search for the problem it is best to have just 1 open thread dealing with the same issue

Just trying to help

Please if you can give

Yup! I could give ANY title , ANY author, and ANY ISBN... and you find at this moment
that a seach via https://www.bookcrossing.com/register will result in
""No book was found in our database. You can adjust the search term, or click "skip"
to fill in the book details yourself.""

I am not sure what the benefit is of stating particular details, when ANY & ALL searches FAIL. No matter what [partial] title, which author, etc. is searched for the result is
""No book was found in our database. ..."" BINGO.
Search didn't work at the reported time. < Now is one of those! >

I believe I have previously reported that fact plainly whenever IT applied.
So yes, it applies again tonight June 14th from 11:30 till [ at least now ] at 11:50 and likely beyond...

I am sure I will be in bed when the system becomes snappy again and DOES PRODUCE RESULTS < which by and large it has done! .

Note: All times are local per YYC.
I will send a PS with a suggestion...

For example:(not actual error just an example)
using google chrome on my ipad I tried to register:
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent ISBN: 9780316243919
and received the following error message....

PS

Well you may make it an actual example, because none of search terms
Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
ISBN: 9780316243919
work currently per any of the Bookcrossing searches.

They ALL work outside Bookcrossing.com per Google Book Search ...
< https://books.google.ca/ >
e.g. https://www.google.com/search?...
or https://www.google.com/search?...
Etc.

PS2 I usually use the search term Echo Park as my test... as it is well tested and reliable. And then I go from there.

It is now 1:15am on June 15th here... G'nite

I registered 18 books tonight, (starting with https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15549417/ if sorted by Registration Date - ISBN 9781335509376 for that first one) and had to enter each one manually as all brought up the No book in our database message. I started with a regular registration and alternated between that and using pre-numbered labels all the way through.

Desktop windows computer, using Firefox, looked each up via ISBN using the Google option. I don't know what time I started but I just finished at 7:25 AM Eastern Time, if that helps. It took me a while as I stopped to add cover images found in LibraryThing to each one before going on to the next.

...and had to enter each one manually as all brought up the No book in our database message. I started with a regular registration and alternated between that and using pre-numbered labels all the way through.

I saw per your bookshelf that you journaled several books with "Pre-numbered label used for registration."

That of course would bypass steps 1-2-3 of the register via Search registration, NOT?

Are you using a "Pre-numbered label for registration." just in the cases where you get the dreaded "No book was found in our database. You can adjust ..."

Indeed YOU adjusted, eh! WOW 50,000+ books! That is one heck of a feat!

I started with a regular registration

I am trying to have a clear picture, so may I ask if by "I started with a regular registration" you mean that you went straight to registration via the SkipSearch?

After all, ALL register via Search-1-2-3 was failing, correct?
Do you recall about what time the Search-1-2-3 method first failed for you?

PS Tonight I came home early 'cause of T-storms and sure enough I noticed the first failure at 7:17pmYYC. It's still in fail mode at 8:17pmYYC. I will keep my keys open.

As a wrap-up for today's business I will report that the condition has existed from -at least - Jun 12th ,21:45 hours till now , June 13th, 00:50 hours. < YYC times >

Later that same day I signed in at 16:16 hours and tested the waters! at https://www.bookcrossing.com/register and got snappy responses each and every time!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeha!

Then I watched the Raptors and never got back to
https://www.bookcrossing.com/register ... After all it was time for a [LONG] celebration!

Note I did get back on June 14th , kinda late at 23:30 hours... and have already reported my findings earlier in this thread.

So long! Gonna celebrate some more. The night is young.

Thirty minutes ago when I first signed in I could register books.

At 9:50 I tried to register the TimeFrame series...
but I now get the dreaded "No book found ..." message.
The well tried testcase Echo Park also confirmed the system failure.

Time to watch a movie I guess. For what is is worth.

For what is is worth.

While posting the last message an error banner appeared ,
that rapidly faded [ I could not Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V the sucker ]
which messaged that an error had occured.

Looks like the forum-message was posted though.

Error flagged with Tech Team

Error flagged with Tech Team

Thank you!

I hope you mean the "No book found..." error.
It is still a problem by 12:10 June 16th , in YYC
[ I assume 'bcsupportteam' has been able to "replicate". Yes, ??? ]

The fading one is ephemeral, and of no consequence that I can tell.

Well the movie is starting! G'nite and Happy Father's Day!!!

In my experience the problem seems to be intermittent.When it works it is possible to register any book,but when it doesn’t work you can not register anything either with google book search or any of the amazon sites.I generally register using the isbn,using safari on an I pad.

In my experience the problem seems to be intermittent.When it works it is possible to register any book,but when it doesn’t work you can not register anything either with google book search or any of the amazon sites.

Yes, that matches my experience pretty much exactly. Either it all works, or nothing works. And it seems to come and go.

Time/Date: 15:46 AEST, 16/06/2019
Search terms: 9781447225355, The target, David Baldacci
Sources: Google Book Search, USA (Amazon.com), UK (Amazon.co.uk)
Browser: Google Chrome 75.0.3770.90
Result: No book was found in our database. You can adjust the search term, or click "skip" to fill in the book details yourself.

Time/Date: 15:46 AEST, 16/06/2019
.........Result: No book was found in our database. ...

'Allo Antipod!

I've had that feelin' that when the Aussies wake , the [BC] system goes to sleep!
Well at least the Search part...

Thanx mate for the re-enforcement of the failure reports!

I note that 'bcsupportteam' has tagged the Tech Team [ Error flagged with Tech Team ]

That is, the three books I just registered were not found, so I had to fill in the information manually. Once registered, when I tried to update the cover, no cover was found either.
In recent weeks I've often had to manually input info, but to my relief was often able to upload a cover image (although I don't always find the one I need). This bug has been going on for months, it seems!

Later in the day I was able to upload images for the bookcovers.

I see there are two threads with the same problem. I started here, so I'll continue here.
An example of the books I just registered which I had to create manually:
0312873999, Mulengro,by Charles de Lint.
I am using a Firefox Web browser
I tried amazon.uk, amazon.com and googlebook search
I got the notorious:No book was found in our database. You can adjust the search term, or click "skip" to fill in the book details yourself.
Is it helpful to give you all the books (I registered two others just now)

Today Search went AWOL after 9:30pm < when last I used it > and before 10:30pm < when I tried to use it again...

Still out 11:00pm ...

Search terms:
ISBN: 0525559744
Author: Mona Awad
Title: Bunny

as well as my standby terms I use to verify that Search is AWOL.
@11:11pm Add to that a test for any combo of:
Charles de Lint,
Mulengro

All those searches deliver zippo.

G'nite, I am done.

June 16th between 9:30pm & 10:30pm in YYC
Today Search went AWOL after 9:30pm < when last I used it > and before 10:30pm < when I tried to use it again...
Still out 11:00pm ...

Search terms:
ISBN: 0525559744
Author: Mona Awad
Title: Bunny

as well as my standby terms I use to verify that Search is AWOL.

Today <17th> the Search went AWOL after 8:30pm < when last I used it > and before 10:10pm < when I tried to use it again... >

Yup almost 24 hours exactly...

Time for watching the National on CBC.

Yes, Bunny is apparently hopping just in her warren.

wing_Pirx_wing 1 mo ago
book details
ISBN 9783442477371
Patricia Cornwell
Brandherd
no book was found in our database

ISBN 9783442477371
Patricia Cornwell
Brandherd

I replicated this. Can I ask why you think this is a problem. If it isn't in the google search database then they may not have added it. That would mean it's not on their database and not a bc problem. Do you know if it is on their database of not ? That would useful to know so it can be identified as a bc fault and not Google.

ISBN 9783442477371
Patricia Cornwell
Brandherd

I replicated this. Can I ask why you think this is a problem. If it isn't in the google search database then they may not have added it. That would mean it's not on their database and not a bc problem. Do you know if it is on their database of not ? That would useful to know so it can be identified as a bc fault and not Google.

I've answered my own question. That isbn is not held in Google books however a German version when I searched for the title came up. So unless it was the German version you are registering the problem doesn't appear to be bc related. Can you confirm it was this one you were after https://books.google.co.uk/books?...

EtA: I also found this book searching by title under USA amazon . It wasn't the same isbn but at least you can use it and update it with your book details. Even had a cover. :-) https://www.bookcrossing.com/register#two

Howdy Pirx,

The message "no book was found in our database " is misleading. It is produced routinely by Bookcrossing... However, the database[s] that are scanned for a title/book are not "our" in the sense that they don't belong to Bookcrossing, nor exist anywhere in their bailiwick.

Elsewhere I have suggested a solution to this confusion.

Meanwhile I will offer you a registration solution in the next post.

So long,

ISBN 9783442477371; Patricia Cornwell; Brandherd
.... no book was found in our database

Apparently you searched by ISBN.

I would suggest you search by title. Presently < 2pm in YYC > ***
a "Brandherd" search does present a choice...

If you are concerned about the book having the wrong ISBN, you can override the one offered... As to the cover, that too can be changed to what you might prefer, AFTER the book is registered.

Have a look at https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15552715
Hope this helps you out.
Best

PS The problem you ran into is one of the reasons I rarely search by ISBN.
I find that a search by [ short part of] title or by author is much more "productive"
and more interesting to boot ;)

*** While the Bookcrossing "Google Book search functions and isn't AWOL.

I was able to register a few books yesterday (6/17/19) around 4pm EST. Now (6/18, 0200 EST), I'm getting the no book found error again. I double checked it by using the title books I *know* are in the database (-Silence of the Lambs-, -Catcher in the Rye-) with the same error result. It's frustrating, especially since I just found myself with a literal car-load of books to register.

Now (6/18, 0200 EST), I'm getting the no book found error again.

Welcome to the checker-club, Firegirl!
Pinning down the time-frame of this recurring "happening" should help in finding a solution.

PS I use Firefox as one of my browsers...

At 12.51 pm British time
Have tried registering a book but comes up again with "no book in out data base"

Book is His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet

Bloody Project

Gremlins you say? I thought it was and is
the ghost of Lech Wałęsa that keeps causing this STROIK!
Or is it Bookcrossing BROKESIT?

Anyway, how is BREXIT???

Cheers

Haven't tried for a couple of days but here's another 'No book was found in our database' I attempted just now:

William Boyd, An ice-cream war, 9870140065718

I attempted just now: winggimboidwing 1 hr ago

I report another "outage"; today, June 18th, noted at 11:11pm in YYC
Several others have already noticed the same problem earlier tonight.

It is getting to the point that we can count on a TOTAL Search OUTAGE every late evening running well past midnight in MST < is YYC >, whatever time that is around the globe. I hope that system logs exist that will confirm that the past week alone this has been the nightly < in YYC > routine ...

Is there a prognosis for a FIX yet? I note the [Error flagged with Tech Team]
and do hope it is TOP PRIORITY!

If in fact this is going to be the future for a while, because no FIX is in the offing,
why not post a notice about this predictable "feature" and save everyone a lotta time!

PS My check & confirmation process was via the usual Echo Park and the other books I have cited previously. Nothing, nada, zero is the outcome.

Haven't tried for a couple of days

Don't worry I have tried and confirmed the outages daily for the past week.
You haven't missed a thing :-|

That once I have this error it continues so I either skip search and enter manually or come out of bookcrossing and try another time.
I'm guessing with it being an intermittent problem it could be harder to find the root cause.

I'm guessing with it being an intermittent problem

Good Morning Diane,

With respect, your guesswork is not correct.
The problem is not intermittent nor random but pretty well predictable.
It has happened every late evening < after 10pm > in YYC
at least for the past week as reported by various people
[ from different time-zones ].

Suggestion: If you could rise early, say 6am in the UK , and test the system over the next 2 or hopefully 3 hours U will likely see what I see in the 10pm till 1am window in AB ;)

Look, I successfully registered some 25thousand+ books over the life of my membership, but I have NEVER seen this type of persistent Search failure.

Doing the Skip Search and manually entering all data is not really an option I can afford the time for. So I wait for the right window on my end < weekends > AND keep hoping for a permanent FIX. I'm sure it will come about; hopefully in my lifetime...

pretty well predictable. ...

THAT is the upside...
for I know that if I can get on earlier I have a much better crack at succeeding...
So I DO rise early on occasion and hit the keys before I hit the street to get going to my job...

PS Tomorrow is not gonna be an early rising though :-|

With respect, your guesswork is not correct.
The problem is not intermittent nor random but pretty well predictable.

It's predictable, but that doesn't make it any less intermittent: it comes and goes. Diane did not say anything incorrect; she never mentioned the word 'random' after all.

"No book was found in our database. ..."
Today is Jun 19th
This thread was started six days ago... The " predictable" problem was already noted well before.

It is now 10:18+ PM in YYC and the Search option have been delivering "No book was found in our database. ..." throughout that time; no exceptions.

I checked on average about every 10 to 15 minutes.

User-keyed-in registration via Skip-Search does work but it is very tedious and requires a separate effort to find and upload a cover. That slows down registering big time.

Thank Goodreads for having a plethora of book-covers!

Today is Jun 19th

It is now Jun 20th; no change in the Search results...
Still "No book was found in our database. ..."

Well my friend from Down Under is arriving shortly, so I will stop the tests.

Thank Goodreads for having a plethora of book-covers

A good range of book covers are held on here. I search them out first before doing a search elsewhere. We all have different systems for updating our covers, sharing our work around is interesting :-)

A good range of book covers are held on here.

That is an interesting approach! < I assume you do a search by title over all registrations at BookCrossing, eh? >

How do you get around the the fact that .pjp type files can not be uploaded for a book-cover? I recall running into that problem here, not at Goodreads ;)

How do you get around the the fact that .pjp type files can not be uploaded for a book-cover? I recall running into that problem here, not at Goodreads ;)

not encountered that one yet :)

not encountered that one yet :)

I did a search for Crazy Rich Asians and then selected the cover offered by
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15385720

It was offered as Content.pjp by Bookcrossing.
[ I have no idea why, nor what I can do with .pjp ]
When I renamed the file Content.jpg I could display it, AND upload it ;)

I used IrfanView to check what the file looked like ;
IT told me that the file actually was a .jpg ... ;)

Hope that helps.

sharing our work around is interesting :-)

Couldn't agree more!

Since your day is still young, could you keep an eye on when the Search for registration < 1-2-3 method > becomes functional again?
I just finished an 8 hour shift < totally "No book was found in our database. ..." >and posted my observations along the way in the hope it will help Tech Support. :-|

G'day eh! G'nite here!

Since your day is still young, could you keep an eye on when the Search for registration < 1-2-3 method > becomes functional again?

Didn't work for me but the book I registered is a bit obscure, no other copies held on bookcrossing at all.

I don't register books daily so its hard to pin down a time will let you know when it works for me though. :)

ETA. Worked for me at 6pm (GMT) wrong book cover. Went to books & people tab. Did search with title and author. Came up with correct cover on first page. It was a jpg

the book I registered is a bit obscure, no other copies held on bookcrossing at all.

Shouldn't matter, Google Books is a separate database. Nevertheless, it may *also* be too obscure for Google Books. So possibly that part does matter.

*also* be too obscure for Google Books. So possibly that part does matter.

Yes that's what I thought. I found a copy on abebooks though so, sadly, I don't have a rare and valuable book :-D

Search returned results for all of the following:
Burial Rites (using Google)
9780316243919 (using Amazon.com)
The target (using Amazon.co.uk)
0312873999 (using Google)
An ice-cream war (using Amazon.com)

aaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddd………………
Echo Park (using Google)
Echo Park (using Amazon.co.uk)
Echo Park (using Amazon.com)

All returned results!!!!!

1815 EST - functional. I'll be awake well into the wee hours; will let you know if I have an outage later.

will let you know if I have an outage later.

Please do.
Now we have Reno on hand, it all seems to be working fine and he is receiving immediate positive results, thus he cannot recreate the errors previously reported in order to test them to understand the problem.

Now we have Reno on hand,

Great to hear that!
Last night I monitored/tested from at least 7:17pm till 3:16am the next day,
and there was constant failure.

I do not know when the system resumed functioning fully again, as I went to bed.
Tonight I noticed soon after my login at about 8:35pm that things were in the total "No book was found in our database. ..." mode.

PS What information would Reno like, that we can provide from our end?
I will keep checking routinely and will keep another log. Standing by. So long.

Now we have Reno on hand...

Well we did have, it’s now into the later part of the evening where he is, so I doubt he’ll be checking messages to do a test immediately

What information would Reno like that we can provide from our end? I will keep checking routinely and will keep another log. Standing by.

Nothing for now.
Enough examples of errors returned have been given in the past hour, we don’t need any more of them. Now we just need to wait to see if they are still issues once Reno is back online.
I understand he isn’t checking in to the forums, rather is acting on messages from the BC Support Team - and we’re evenly spread from a Time Zone perspective to have that covered.

Keep an eye on the Latest News post on this topic for updates.

Not working. I tried registering a book (U-turn by Bruce Grierson), tried using both Amazon US and Google, tried with title, full author name, author last name and ISBN, and all came back with no book found.

Then I tried using some terms that got to return some result. I typed in Rowling, Coetzee... and when I typed in King and nothing comes back... pretty much sure that the search feature is not working at all.

2230 EST, back to "no book found in database"

First tried with a random kids' book I was registering. Then tried Silence of the Lambs, Catcher in the Rye, Things Fall Apart, all without success.

Firegirl 2 minute gelede
And we're down.

Amen!
I just signed in on a break, and I get the "No book was found in our database. ..."
Think I will go cry in my beer and eat some dark chocolate.

My first test was at 8:38pm YYC which is ten minutes after Firefly's try.

PS What wonderful titles she tested: Things Fall Apart , or Silence of the Lambs.
Some Lamb, some Silence... Guess I will catch a rye as my beer is now ruined.

wingJ4shawwing 9 minute gelede
Have alerted Tech Team

Thanx!

When I test, I test each of the EIGHT Amazon searches as well as the Google book search... just in case one of 'em is out of synch or provides different results.

I noticed that the .UK search was taking a bit of time. Must be the BREXIT effect...eh!

When I test, I test each of the EIGHT Amazon searches as well as the Google book search... just in case one of 'em is out of synch or provides different results.

I noticed that the .UK search was taking a bit of time. Must be the BREXIT effect...eh!

UK search hasn't worked for about a year due to changes within amazon. the .com one is the only Amazon one to use now, I believe. Save yourself some time and leave it when searching :-)

google and amazon search functions still down
tried Michael Chabon's Yiddish Policemen's Union - 9780007149834

Still down
google and amazon search functions still down

Indeed - the downer continues ... It's now 12:34 pm

Not working here for me for several days. I could give you a list of the books, but as nothing I try works then I don’t see how it would help.

winglelliewing 1 uur gelede
RE: RE: Still down @ 12:34 pm
Not working here for me for several days.

It is 6:39 AM next morning and it is still not working since it went AWOL last night
My previous last test was about 2:56AM...< reported herewith >
I barely slept < 3 hours > But I wanted to cover this time-window.
... going to bed ...

Hope someone else can keep watch and report...

I barely slept < 3 hours > But I wanted to cover this time-window.

Completely unnecessary.
As has already been advised to you.

What information would Reno like that we can provide from our end? I will keep checking routinely and will keep another log. Standing by.

Nothing for now.
Enough examples of errors returned have been given in the past hour, we don’t need any more of them. Now we just need to wait to see if they are still issues once Reno is back online.
I understand he isn’t checking in to the forums, rather is acting on messages from the BC Support Team - and we’re evenly spread from a Time Zone perspective to have that covered.

Keep an eye on the Latest News post on this topic for updates.

1st of all thank U to those who R working on the problem.

Just a note to add to the thread including a time frame that I hope will help resolve the problem. I hope this will be helpful...
Of the seven books I tried to register today, June 21, 2019 between c. 9am-11am EST USA, 5 of the books got the message "no book found in data base".
I was able to skip search and add the pertinent info to register the books. So at least I was able to register & wild release some books today. This was also happening on June 18 but I did not record the times then.

Thank U for all of your time trying to resolve this problem. 🐿

June 21, 2019 between c. 9am-11am EST USA, 5 of the books got the message "no book found in data base".

I signed in at about ^PM MST. And it was trouble right way: "No book was found in our database. ... etc. "

That was about an hour ago... and the problem lives on. It's still "No book was found in our database. ... etc. " now, an hour later.

Well I best celebrate the solstice while it lasts.

Ciao!

I saw the update saying the bug was fixed, but I just tried to register a book about 20 minutes ago, and I am still getting the error so I thought I'd better pop in here and let the powers that be know about it!

Thanks for all the hard work in trying to get this straightened out, BC team! <3

PS, my book this time was Glenn Gould by Mark Kingwell. ISBN is 978-0-14-316915-4. I'm using Safari on a MacBook Pro and used Google Book Search. I also tried it using Chrome on my Samsung Galaxy A8, going through every option in the drop-down menu (Google + all listed Amazons).

Yes it’s definitely down right now.

I saw the update saying the bug was fixed...

Not fixed, but it does have periods where it is bug free.
The problem is that when our Tech Team have been online, it’s been during periods where it’s working perfectly, and that means they can’t recreate the errors for themselves in order to troubleshoot. Frustrating for sure!

It seems to work during the late morning and early afternoon (based on your location in Canada).
Although not ideal, hopefully giving you an idea of when to try again is somewhat helpful.

Foxlowe by Eleanor wasserberg

No hits on any search with title or ISBN also won't except a manual registration

wingJ4shawwing 1 mo ago
RE: Issues
Foxlowe by Eleanor wasserberg
No hits on any search with title or ISBN also won't except a manual registration

I had a positive search using my iPhone when selecting to search with Google from the drop down menu entering “Foxlowe Eleanor Wasserberg“ just now - 9:05am MST

I found it wouldn't accept a manual registration for a book if I left the hyphens in the ISBN. When I took them out it was OK.

I found it wouldn't accept a manual registration for a book if I left the hyphens in the ISBN. When I took them out it was OK.

As far as I know it never works with the -‘s in an ISBN, you have to remove them and the spaces
Eg
978-0007-20394-9
Enter in as 9780007203949

Sure, I was wondering if this might be the issue for the person who said they couldn't do a manual registration either.

Sure, I was wondering if this might be the issue for the person who said they couldn't do a manual registration either.

It might well of been :-)

I haven't tried ISBN searches for years. For me I found title search worked better. It may have been fat fingers on the numbers that caused me problems though! lol

As far as I know it never works with the -‘s in an ISBN, you have to remove them and
Enter in as 9780007203949

Thank U for this info. re: ISBNs and hyphens.

More data points, if helpful: as of about 9 PM Eastern time (USA), I tried registering several books, and got no success on the Google lookup on any of them. Was able to register each one via the skip-search, manually uploading cover-images, so there are now registered copies of each on my bookshelf. Previous experience suggests that 9 PM is often the start of a problems-with-lookups for me, though it's not usually this complete.

The lookup strings I used:

Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow by Joyce Sidman
A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson
Insect Pollinators by Jennifer Boothroyd
Dear Mr. M by Herman Koch
Tree of Treasures: A Life in Ornaments by Bonnie Mackay

They vary in publication date, publisher, and genre, but all have entries on Amazon, and when I tried doing a general Google search on those title/author strings and then selecting the "books" sub-group, I found them on Google-books as well, so they aren't so unusual that a failure-to-find would be expected.

[Update: 4PM Eastern, US time: tried a few of those titles again and - of course - the lookup works fine now.]

I tried to register Open by Andre Agassi. Typed in Open and it came back fast with lots of titles, typed in Open Agassi and several versions of the correct title popped up.
Also was able to go back and find covers for the few books I registered by manually entering info a few days ago when this was down. Which is good as I hate leaving a grey spot.
(10AM EDST)

Tried to register History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund. Nothing.
Have not been able to register anything for more than a week

Tried to register History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund. Nothing.
Have not been able to register anything for more than a week

It is working now.
You can see the pattern of it working and not working here:
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/743

The Optimist's Guide to Letting Go by Amy E. Reichert since yesterday (6/23/2019). ISBN: 978-1-5011-5494-2
I am using a pre-numbered BC ID# 275-15399772 and have tried a multiple of times (3 or 4 times yesterday and about the same today).

First, thank you for fixing the above book by Reichert. That book is now registered.

Now I am having problems with Tell Me You're Mine by Elisabeth Noreback (umlaut over the A in her last name). ISBN: 978-0-7352-1854-3

Now I am having problems with Tell Me You're Mine by Elisabeth Noreback (umlaut over the A in her last name). ISBN: 978-0-7352-1854-3

What times were you trying register?
Details of when search is and is not working can be found here: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/743

Also, try entering it without the -‘s
Like this 9780735218543

last night (6/25/2019 at about 11PM EST) and will give it a try without the hyphens

Also, try entering it without the -‘s
Like this 9780735218543

The time is 6:45pm in YYC

I can find the book as 978-0735218543 or as 9780735218543
on Google Books or on Amazon USA OUTSIDE Bookcrossing.Com ; see
https://books.google.ca/books?...
or
https://www.amazon.com/---/0735218544

At the moment Search DOES work for other books within Bookcrossing.Com

At the moment Search DOES work for other books within Bookcrossing.Com

While submitting my previous message I got a fading banner error message,

The first past stated that the save was succesful , and then apologized
for an error that occurred ...

It would be more useful if the error message didn't fade! One can not Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V it.

Just attempted to register 3 books by ISBN, title and author using Google and Amazon. No luck with any of them. As noted by others, registering manually is really not a satisfactory alternative due to the additional time involved.

....and if it follows previous patterns of behaviour, will continue to do so for 8 or 9 hours from now.

wingJ4shawwing 8 hrs ago
Search is working now
....and if it follows previous patterns of behaviour, will continue to do so for 8 or 9 hours from now.

8 hours later it still is TODAY...

I made good use of the up-time the last hour, for I was able to fill in most of the missing book covers for books that went without while Search was AWOL... in June.

NOTE: The Update Cover routine also fails when Search is failing.

At 7:40 pm in YYC the system was still hitting on all pistons;
at 8:10 pm in YYC the Search function was definitely AWOL.
at the same time Update Cover doesn't deliver.

The message is:
""No Results Returned. Try adjusting the title and using the author (i.e. The Client Grisham).""

at 8:10 pm in YYC the Search function was definitely AWOL.

Today the Search went AWOL at 20:00 hrs, YYC, on the button!

I have monitored since 13:00 hrs at regular intervals;
in most concentrated mode after 18:00 hrs.

Thank you I thought they could be linked

Yup! They both use a form of Google Search... same basic method.

Anyway it is 1AM in YYC and system is still in AWOL mode...
Now to figure out why it needs such a long PREDICTABLE SLEEP!

YYCanuck 8 ure gelede
RE: RE: RE: Search is working now
Yup! They both use a form of Google Search... same basic method.

Anyway it is 1AM in YYC and system is still in AWOL mode...
Now to figure out why it needs such a long PREDICTABLE SLEEP!

8 Hours later and Search is again in "all-hands-on-deck" mode; 10:01AM in YYC.

Are there any theories about why it so regularly falls over?

Tried numerous times to register a book for release into the wild today. Used both ISBN and Title and author. No joy

I tried to register The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer, ISBN 0099584093, and none of the databases including Google found it. Perhaps this is why there are about a dozen different listings for it in the database of already registered books ... everyone is making a new record.
Regards, Diana

1:30p eastern time - tried registering a normal book (Middlesex, Eugenides) and engines not finding it.

1:30p eastern time - tried registering a normal book (Middlesex, Eugenides) and engines not finding it.

I was able to get results on this search

Step One: Search for a Book
Enter the title or ISBN number of the book you want to register.
Source: Google Book Search
I entered exactly as you wrote here: Middlesex, Eugenides
Returned 10 results

If you also got results but they were not the book in your hand, try the search using the ISBN.

Around 11pm East coast time in US.

I know I can wait a bit and chances are next time I log in it will be working fine. Just rather inconvenient when I want to register and release some books, and definitely confusing for people not used to the site. Hopefully we can find a good fix soon.

^

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.