corner corner A weird glitch this morning...

Forum | << Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

A weird glitch this morning...

So, I checked my BC profile this morning which worked properly and then went browsing the forums. But when I wanted to access my profile and Bookshelf again a bit latter, first an error message appeared and then this was replaced by "Bücherliesel"'s- another user's- profile and shelf!

The fun thing is that playing around, I noticed at the top bar that when links do not include general terms such as "myprofile" etc but profile name is used, link comes up as it should be, for example http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/all
but still I see the other person's bookshelf appearing!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
So, I checked my BC profile this morning which worked properly and then went browsing the forums. But when I wanted to access my profile and Bookshelf again a bit latter, first an error message appeared and then this was replaced by "Bücherliesel"'s- another user's- profile and shelf!

The fun thing is that playing around, I noticed at the top bar that when links do not include general terms such as "myprofile" etc but profile name is used, link comes up as it should be, for example http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/all
but still I see the other person's bookshelf appearing!
Profile Image
Checking a couple of hours latter and problem fixed itself! Still weird!
Profile Image
I seem to remember other Bookcrossers occasionally reporting this glitch but I can't find the relevant forum thread at the moment. Like you, they also found the glitch fixed itself a few hours later.
Profile Image
This was a first for me, never seen this glitch before...Then coming to think of it, I guess this site never ceases to amaze me with all those oddities in its function...
Profile Image
A while back I had this problem once. Like with you it corrected itself. Never occurred again (that I'm aware of), but I must admit that I use the site irregularly.
Profile Image
I don't know what the solution is, but so many malfunctions and glitches that old members are used not to think a lot about, I'm sure drive many potential new members away...And that's a real pity.
Profile Image
I don't know what the solution is, but so many malfunctions and glitches that old members are used not to think a lot about, I'm sure drive many potential new members away...And that's a real pity.

I worry about that when I see another random glitch - but I suspect that they're more likely to occur when lots of data is involved, so those of us with hefty bookshelves may see them more often than newbies with only a book or two. I don't know if that's true or not, but some of the problems look as though they could be related to "too much data to handle right now" situations. (Those of us who are on the site many times a day are more likely to observe random glitches even if they don't have anything to do with how many books we've registered or found, so with luck most newbies wouldn't run into them on occasional visits. But if someone new just happened to land on a "glitch moment" it would undoubtedly put them off.)

The problem with bugs like that is that they're hard to reproduce, which makes them hard to fix... In my more whimsical moments I imagine a collection of campaign medals for these, such as "Did you get the 'my book's JEs all disappeared' one? It's way scarier than the 'Can't access the forum' one!" Little emoticons, maybe, or a baffled-looking Ballycumber viewing a screen... OK, yeah, probably not the best way to approach this {wry grin}.
Profile Image
In my more whimsical moments I imagine a collection of campaign medals for these, such as "Did you get the 'my book's JEs all disappeared' one? It's way scarier than the 'Can't access the forum' one!"

Oh yes. Like the 'achievement' icons that you can collect in some games!
Profile Image
In my more whimsical moments I imagine a collection of campaign medals for these, such as "Did you get the 'my book's JEs all disappeared' one? It's way scarier than the 'Can't access the forum' one!"

Oh yes. Like the 'achievement' icons that you can collect in some games!

I'd be happy to claim the one for Help, I'm Not Me/My Profile is Somebody Else. It only happened the once, and it's a long time ago now, but I can still remember and relive how weird it felt, even though I'd been around long enough to know it would pass . . . Scarey stuff!!!
Profile Image
Many sites use some kind of metals on a positive way, to acknowledge who contributes or participates one way or another more actively on the site. You could have one for spam-busters or a couple for more active "wild-releaser" or one for people who often offer RABCKs or whatever.

Personally I don't like those, but my understanding is they attract a younger audience-at least when people first sign-up- and encourage them to be active.
I guess you just get used to those "badges" after a while and don't notice them anymore, but if some people are hooked by then, that's a good thing.

I can think of at least 2-3 websites where I was a member for ages and then they decided to apply some short of titles or metals related to site's activity. Me and most older members rolled our eyes and groaned, but it's true many new members were attracted and stayed on the site for long periods of time and even helped its operation a lot on some fields. Many of those people lost interest and moved on, but a strong minority simply liked the concept of the site by then and became loyal members.

Of course, I don't suggest such things for BC until all other issues are fixed. Just saying....
Profile Image
I just won a new "weird glitch" badge: I posted in Book Talk, clicked on the forum-header to see if there were other new threads in the forum, and found myself looking at the French forum instead! Never had *that* happen before.
Profile Image
I just won a new "weird glitch" badge: I posted in Book Talk, clicked on the forum-header to see if there were other new threads in the forum, and found myself looking at the French forum instead! Never had *that* happen before.

Congratulations on winning that badge! Amazing!
Profile Image
As I said,
this site never ceases to amaze me with all those oddities in its function...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.