corner corner I had a strange occurrence registering a book...

Forum | << Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

I had a strange occurrence registering a book...

Hello,

I had a bit of a weird thing happen when I registered a book yesterday. I'm not completely sure if this is the proper place to mention it, or even if it's really worth mentioning, but something seems off so I'll post about it anyway and let the people in charge decide!

So, yesterday I was registering a book. I thought I'd filled everything in, but when I hit the register button it re-loaded the page and asked me to fill in a value that I'd missed. Everything I'd written as the initial entry was gone. I didn't think much of it, just entered it all again (most of it was copied and pasted from another book I'd recently registered anyway), double checked that everything was complete, and hit the register button again. This time everything appeared to work fine, it gave the BCID and then let me view the registered book.

Later, I used the book search to look up the book I'd registered and saw that there are three registered copies on bookcrossing. One was from the US and was registered a while ago, the third one was my copy, but the middle one was the strange part. It's registered with the same initial entry as mine, on the same day, with a BCID just a few numbers off of mine. I suspect something went wrong and it somehow registered my first attempt to another user? I don't know. And I don't know if there is anything to be done about it, but I figured I'd just report the strangeness to people who know much more about all this than I do!

Here are the links to the two books I've mentioned:

Mine-- http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14625702

The Other Book Mentioned-- http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14625697

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hello,

I had a bit of a weird thing happen when I registered a book yesterday. I'm not completely sure if this is the proper place to mention it, or even if it's really worth mentioning, but something seems off so I'll post about it anyway and let the people in charge decide!

So, yesterday I was registering a book. I thought I'd filled everything in, but when I hit the register button it re-loaded the page and asked me to fill in a value that I'd missed. Everything I'd written as the initial entry was gone. I didn't think much of it, just entered it all again (most of it was copied and pasted from another book I'd recently registered anyway), double checked that everything was complete, and hit the register button again. This time everything appeared to work fine, it gave the BCID and then let me view the registered book.

Later, I used the book search to look up the book I'd registered and saw that there are three registered copies on bookcrossing. One was from the US and was registered a while ago, the third one was my copy, but the middle one was the strange part. It's registered with the same initial entry as mine, on the same day, with a BCID just a few numbers off of mine. I suspect something went wrong and it somehow registered my first attempt to another user? I don't know. And I don't know if there is anything to be done about it, but I figured I'd just report the strangeness to people who know much more about all this than I do!

Here are the links to the two books I've mentioned:

Mine-- http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14625702/

The Other Book Mentioned-- http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14625697/
Profile Image
OK, that's definitely weird! The duplicate-registration situation has occurred now and then, sometimes when the site threw an error message but registered the book anyway - that's why, if I get an error message during a registration, I check my bookshelf to see whether the book's there before trying it again. But to have it registered under another BCer's name is pretty weird indeed! Some of the weird-data errors - missing JEs, wrong photos, etc. - seem to self-correct after a few hours, but if this happened yesterday that should have been enough time for any database catch-up to happen.

If a prenumbered label was involved, I could see that - if someone accidently enters an unused prenum belonging to someone else, the book will show up as journaled by that other person. But the BCer in question hasn't been active in years and isn't likely to have any unused prenums in the current range of BCIDs, and besides, the BCIDs on either side of that one show it's not part of a prenum range.

So, I have no idea what happened there, and find it a bit disturbing. Duplicate IDs on my own shelf I can cope with, but to think that there might be stray copies of books I registered, assigned to someone else's shelf... well, that's strange!
Profile Image
So, I have no idea what happened there, and find it a bit disturbing. Duplicate IDs on my own shelf I can cope with, but to think that there might be stray copies of books I registered, assigned to someone else's shelf... well, that's strange!

lol, these are pretty much my exact feelings on the situation!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.