Member Search by country not working

Forum » Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
When I use the Member Search to find bookcrossers in a particular country I either get no results back (e.g. Australia), or I get the following error message (e.g. United Kingdom):

Error: There was an error processing your search. Please check your input and try again. (MemberSearch: S)
[Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

Is this the same for anyone else?

I seldom use that feature, but I gave it a try just now and had the same results. Just to be sure that I wasn't attempting a search with so many results that it would automatically time out (everyone in the USA, for example) I limited the search to a small nearby town, but still got the timeout error. If I included an actual screen name as well as the location, the search would turn up the results for that name, but anything else was giving a timeout.

Thanks for testing it GoryDetails. I use that feature to find people to send books to for my lifetime challenge to send a book to every country in the world.

My workaround at the moment is to use the Browse Members function, but it means clicking through to each town which takes more time. With the Members Search I was able to order the results by books registered or date joined to help find someone who might reply to me!

Hopefully someone will have time to look into it now it's been reported.

Ive been having that problem for a couple of months.
I used it to find real newbies, amongst the spam

Member search by country is still not working. Please can this be looked at?

wingJ4shawwing 12 mos ago
Same issue
I noticed this wasn't working a few months back.
Just tried it again today and despite entering :
City > State/Province > Country
& also trying just
State/Province > Country

.....neither works.

Error msg:
Error: There was an error processing your search. Please check your input and try again. (MemberSearch: S)
[Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

I noticed this wasn't working a few months back.
Just tried it again today and despite entering :
City > State/Province > Country
& also trying just
State/Province > Country

.....neither works.

Error msg:
[Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Happy to report that this is now fixed and working.
Note - it won't work until you fill in details for all of City > State/Province > Country

Good to know that some progress has been made on this! Unfortunately I need to be able to search with just the country selected, which is something that used to work. This is for my lifetime challenge where I'm trying to send a book to every country in the world. I can still use browse members to click though and find Bookcrossers in each city, but that takes much longer.

Good to know that some progress has been made on this! Unfortunately I need to be able to search with just the country selected, which is something that used to work.

Oh that’s a shame.
I wonder if it has gone caput because of the sheer volume of members that there are now.
I mean, I just searched for Melbourne>Victoria>Australia and that alone was a search result of 6023 Members Found!

Just wanted to flag this again, and am interested to know if it's 1) on the radar of whoever's radar it needs to be on, and 2) if there is any update on it.

same by town.

wingJ4shawwing 10 mos ago
Loophole
Managed to get in via a Google search, although you cant filter the results, its something for those wanting it:
https://www.bookcrossing.com/findmembers/

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.