Cannot search by BCID

Forum » Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting » Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

the inconsistency would be confusing and frustrating to newbies.

The big box at the top of the page requires the prefix and hyphen to search while the search by BCID box won't allow it.

Complete Thread
When I search by BCID and click on View Journal I get this message:

Sorry, an error occurred
Error Details

Error Message: We're sorry. An error occurred while processing your request. Please try again, and if the error continues contact our support staff. Thank you for you patience while we clean out the bugs.

When I leave the same BCID and click the next box, New Journal Entry, it brings up the book I was looking for. But I don't want to make a new JE.

This has happened several times over the last day or two that I haven't been able to search by BCID without making a new JE.

I never use "search by BCID" so I had to scramble a bit to duplicate this, but I did:

If I use the "search books" feature's "BCID" tab, with the radio button set to "view journal", I get the error you report, while if I use the "new JE" radio button the book comes up correctly in "new JE" format. (If I use the big general-purpose search box at the top of the page, I also get the "new JE" page for the correct book.)

FWIW, before today I'd never even looked at that "BCID" search tab; if I want to view a book, I just enter the URL - if I'm too lazy to type the whole thing, I'll copy and paste the URL from another book and replace the significant part of the BCID with the one I want to see.

Since the new-JE page also shows the previous journal entries, I find it an acceptable way to look at a book's history even if I don't want to add a JE - but since there is an option for "view only" on that BCID tab, it should work properly! I have no idea how long it's been broken, though. If you use it regularly, then it seems it's only broken within the last few days; perhaps some other site-tweak had side effects?

I have no idea how long it's been broken, though. If you use it regularly, then it seems it's only broken within the last few days; perhaps some other site-tweak had side effects?

Yes, it's the one I use 99.99% of the time so I know it has been working until very recently.

I have no idea how long it's been broken, though. If you use it regularly, then it seems it's only broken within the last few days; perhaps some other site-tweak had side effects?

Yes, it's the one I use 99.99% of the time so I know it has been working until very recently.

same here. Had the same problem this AM.

A few days ago I had fixed the other two options which apparently hadn't worked since - ages.

Seems I have fouled up with the first option.
I'll fix it asap.

I'll fix it asap.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Turns out (if I'm not completely mistaken) it only happens if you enter a full BCID (i.e. including prefix) and then chose "View Journal".
Since you won't need the prefix when you just want to open the journal I didn't test this path. However the fix will soon appear on the site.

ince you won't need the prefix when you just want to open the journal I didn't test this path. However the fix will soon appear on the site.

I always type in the full BCID, never even occurred to me not to, and I use it many times a day, so I will really appreciate it when the search is fixed. Besides, I often go from viewing the journal entry to doing other things for which I imagine the full BCID is required. Thanks.

Besides, I often go from viewing the journal entry to doing other things for which I imagine the full BCID is required.
When you're logged in the site will know which books are "yours" and the relevant links will work just fine.
However, in a few days the fix will be up.

However, in a few days the fix will be up.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.

although I now know that I can search without the prefix, a newbie won't know and may get discouraged if they are trying to search for a book the way I have always done it for all these years.

the inconsistency would be confusing and frustrating to newbies.

The big box at the top of the page requires the prefix and hyphen to search while the search by BCID box won't allow it.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.