please, please, please, please, please

Forum » Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting » Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

These two won't let me add capitals to their titles no matter how many times I try

Someone gave the secret in the forums to changing title spelling, capitalization, etc. a long time ago. Make your changes, then leave an extra space between a couple of words and save. I have no idea why, but leaving that extra space before saving makes your changes stick.

Complete Thread
Stop changing my choice of book categories to something else that I would never use!

The site makes me fill it in, I do, and then it changes it. It is making me crazy!

There's a bug in the registering process which yields this effect. However, it does not change the categories later but only when registering the book - which means that if you choose to edit the book details later and set the category to your category of choice, it will stick. But keep in mind that editing book details sometimes runs into another flavor of that bug: While the categories are disregarded when registering and respected when editing, for the ISBN it's the other way round. So if you edit the book details to get the category right, you might find that the ISBN is wrong afterwards.

All errors of this kind basically are flavours of the same error: The BC database does not save the full data again if there was already a book in the database with identical data but saves a link to the existing dataset instead. When checking for identical datasets, it forgets to compare some of the data, so it believes a book with different category is the same and links to that (or, when editing, different ISBN) although it's not entirely identical.

There's a bug in the registering process which yields this effect.

Yes, I know that, and that is what I am begging them to fix.

I hate my selections being changed to Women's Fiction. What the heck is that?

Women's Fiction. What the heck is that?

I've always wondered that too.

It changed one of mine to Women's Fiction today (a category I have NEVER used on purpose] which is what brought on my rant.

I register hundreds of books some weeks and get really tired of having to change them back. What is especially annoying is that the site won't let you leave it blank, it forces you to fill it in, then changes it.

I just looked and I have almost 14 full pages of Women's Fiction, none of which I designated that way. Arrrrggghhh. I wish I hadn't looked. Now I'm getting mad again.

It changed one of mine to Women's Fiction today (a category I have NEVER used on purpose] which is what brought on my rant.

There, there, dear. Don't worry your pretty little head about it....

Heh-heh. Your'e beautiful when you're angry.

It is a sexist plot to encourage women to read brain candy. <----This is a little joke, so please don't take it seriously.

I think it's their term for chick-lit. Both terms can be kind of insulting, IMO

I just checked my shelf, because I check as soon as I register abook to see if the site changed my books on registering. I now have 19 books of women's fiction. Including Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.

Now, like solittletime, I'm off to waste my time to change them back. This is starting to seem like a trip to the doctor where if you are a woman of a certain age your complaints and concerns will be dismissed. We don't want to go there.

This is definitely high on our pet peeve list. We can't personally fix it, much as we'd like to, but I'll go and mark it as 'Critical' on the To-Do list. Because this is BookCrossing, and book data is a big deal.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Because this is BookCrossing, and book data is a big deal.

bcsupportteam, I really appreciate that you took the time to respond to this message. Book data is important.

but I'll go and mark it as 'Critical' on the To-Do list. Because this is BookCrossing, and book data is a big deal.

Thank you sooooo much!!

This is definitely high on our pet peeve list. We can't personally fix it, much as we'd like to, but I'll go and mark it as 'Critical' on the To-Do list. Because this is BookCrossing, and book data is a big deal.

Since this peeve is your pet, no-one, NO-ONE has dared kill it!
So after six years it's still alive, but critical eh ;)

Since this peeve is your pet, no-one, NO-ONE has dared kill it!
So after six years it's still alive, but critical eh ;)

Are you trying to yank the Support Team's chain? That's not a good look... please keep in mind they are volunteers, members like you, who are freely giving their time by answering questions and helping where they can.

A number had changed their categories. I fixed them, but that would be a MASSIVE task for someone if they had registered thousands.

A number had changed their categories. I fixed them, but that would be a MASSIVE task for someone if they had registered thousands.

Which is why I tend to ignore it as it is far too hard a task for me to check my books.

I tend to ignore it as it is far too hard a task for me to check my books.

I second that. But still, I would very much prefer it if the book details would stay the way we enter them.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12764110/ coded as non-fiction?

Arrrrrggggghhhhh!

A Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12760289/
Women's Fiction

Against the Odds by Elizabeth Moon (ex-marine) http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11344812/
Romance

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11415503/
Romance.

I could go on, but I'm too depressed...

To clean up the original refering database.

Talking about tasks to big to handle...

the site asks me to fill in the category and then changes it.

But... I *ALWAYS* check the category afterwards and correct it, as it drives me too nuts to leave it incorrect.

And now, the site is changing it AGAIN after I correct it the first time it changes it.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13056247/ was listed as Education

There were a few others but I corrected them a second time before thinking about posting here.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13208653 Sidney Sheldon's "The Sands of Time" is a graphic novel???

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13208653 Sidney Sheldon's "The Sands of Time" is a graphic novel???

Heh! Sounds like somebody who registered a previous copy of that title thought that a book with graphic content qualified as a "graphic novel". I've seen quite a bit of that over the years. (I do notice the change-the-category bug now and then, but I guess I've gotten used to it - or else I wind up being the first person to register a book so my category-choice is the one that sticks {wry grin}.)

Sounds like somebody who registered a previous copy of that title thought that a book with graphic content qualified as a "graphic novel".

I did this once before I realised!! *Hangs head in shame*.

wingDi_Kwing 5 yrs ago
Grin
I found a book about Montignac diet: (rough translation) She is slim because she eats.

I was really tempted to put it under Women's fiction :-D.
(But I resisted, I like boring clean databases)

I second that.

tarant 5 yrs ago
feature
That is a not a bug that is a feature! :-) - I alwyas hate to choose the category! All data comes automatically by with the ISBN in amazon but not the category. So I take always the "all categories" and that works, because the category is always overwritten and the chosing of a correct category is anyway useless.

Women's Fiction
The Year Of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13416594/

Essential Waterskiing for Teens

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13208656/

so I click on "teens." So the site changes it to "childrens."

So I change it back to "teens."

Arrrrgggghhhh!

that I ended up wasting my time fixing my registered books' detail. I pretty much know that while registering a book, whatever I try to edit- title, author name and category - won't stick, I will have to go back and make the change afterwards. But of course sometimes when registering a bunch of books for releases I don't always do that. And now I take a look... what a can of worms...

I volunteer at my library book sale, where we have to sort donated books into categories to make shopping easier when the book sale comes around. It's pretty easy for volunteers to put books in the wrong pile, eg. The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing almost always end up in hobbies, Da Vinci Code in religion, The Life of Pi in biographies, etc. But at least you can somehow see how the mistake happen. Whereas BC's errors are plain ridiculous.

I say Literature. The site changes it to Audio Downloads. But it's a large-print book!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13666271

I say Literature. The site changes it to Audio Downloads. But it's a large-print book!

Well, the first person to have registered a book with that same ISBN must have chosen that category for some reason... :-/

Well, the first person to have registered a book with that same ISBN must have chosen that category for some reason... :-/

... which probably was that BC mixes various editions into one database entry, totally neglecting different ISBN, different capitalization, and during the site changeover process in 2010 also neglecting different punctuation, and maybe even more. In any case, if there were several editions with similar titles in May 2010, after May 2010 there only was one left and everything had been thrown together, whether they were the same book or not. Also, AFAIK at some time in the past categories were imported from Amazon, where nonsense is standard and a wrong edition is easily picked.

Database entries for Audiobooks with the ISBN of a paperbook haven't necessarily been entered by a user. They were usually created by bugs in the BC system. Bugs that have been known for many years and that affect about one third of all books, and were never fixed. However, they only affect the core of BC, so it's obviously inappropriate to even bring them up. If it was something that affects the shop, maybe someone would think about thinking about thinking about maybe thinking about thinking about a fix, but this only frustrates active members and drives them away, so it's nothing serious at all.

I don't respond well to sarcasm, sorry. I'm afraid it's wasted on me.

I don't respond well to sarcasm, sorry. I'm afraid it's wasted on me.

The facts in my earlier posting are actual facts which you may choose to ignore, but can't deny.

This thread is three years old and nothing has changed. The bugs it addresses have been destroying data for five and a half. Nothing ever has happened to get them fixed, neither any other serious work was done outside of the shop for five full years. This is an awfully long time to survive on hollow promises, and quite a number of formerly active members have given up bookcrossing with one reason being the sad state of the website.

Maybe sarcasm is the only way to hold out.

The facts in my earlier posting are actual facts which you may choose to ignore, but can't deny.

I'm not doing either, and in many ways I agree with you, but your angry rant left me speechless. I simply have no response to give you.

But WHY should someone else's stupidity still effect the book I am registering all these year's later? I guess if the site didn't require me to enter a category it wouldn't drive me quite so crazy but it does, and I do, and then it changes it to something that is completely wrong,

WHY should someone else's stupidity still effect the book I am registering all these year's later?

Because someone, a couple of years ago, thought that it was desirable to try to have consistent information on the site.

WHY should someone else's stupidity still effect the book I am registering all these year's later?

Because someone, a couple of years ago, thought that it was desirable to try to have consistent information on the site.

Did they never think it would be consistently wrong, not consistently right? That book is still a hardcover large-print book, that I can hold in my hands, no matter how many times the site wants to make it into an audio dowload. It just doesn't work.

It just doesn't work.

I know, and I agree. I don't know what they thought. I have no way of finding out. Don't yell at me please. :-((

Don't yell at me please. :-((

Oh, Moem, I would NEVER yell at you! I'm yelling at the Powers that Be that programmed a book site that gives bad data about its books. Not at you. Never. We love you!

PS - It's usually the category that I'm yelling about (but not at you) but earlier today I registered one where the author's first name was incorrect (not even close) and I just happened to notice it. I assume every registered copy will have the wrong first name forevermore because it's more important to be consistent than to be right. Oh well.

earlier today I registered one where the author's first name was incorrect (not even close) and I just happened to notice it. I assume every registered copy will have the wrong first name forevermore because it's more important to be consistent than to be right.

I can't really believe that. After summer 2010, BC has always respected what you enter as titles and authors. Only capitalization is still not respected, so that sometimes authors will yell at you (ALL UPPERCASE), try to hide as non-names (all lowercase) or even try a weird mix (all mEssed cASE)

Well, as I said, apart from the capitalization and categories resp. ISBN BC should respect what you entered. Unless, of course, you take the data mess that comes from Amazon for something you aren't allowed to change, because, Amazon is the pope or something like that. Free yourself from Amazons error dictate! Just edit away the errors by using your own fingers and keyboard before hitting "Register".

Actually, I think that BC should finally free us all from the Amazon data waste dump, and just search among the BC database for titles. This would mean that we wouldn't get the same crap all over and over again but after entering correct data once, could simply choose the correct entry again. It would as a side effect get people to actually use a preexisting database entry more often than currently where everyone who doesn't take Amazon as a God That Must Not Be Questioned edits the data into an own variant. This would finally result in a smaller and faster database, which is what all the normalization mess originally was about when it was introduced. Amazon was a good idea when BC was small, so, like maybe until ten years ago. Nowadays using the Amazon database is more a source for errors and frustration than any kind of help.

But as usual - why am I even suggesting something. Experience of many years of bookcrossing shows that nothing will change anyway, and if something changes it's swapping one known bug for two new ones which may be more difficult to circumvent than the old one.

Love it or leave it? Well, I still love bookcrossing, so leaving is not an option until now. I fail to love the team, though, and I fail to love the community. Among other reasons, this is because I seem to stand mostly alone with my failure to love the team for the "great work" they do.

But as usual - why am I even suggesting something. Experience of many years of bookcrossing shows that nothing will change anyway, and if something changes it's swapping one known bug for two new ones which may be more difficult to circumvent than the old one.

Love it or leave it? Well, I still love bookcrossing, so leaving is not an option until now. I fail to love the team, though, and I fail to love the community. Among other reasons, this is because I seem to stand mostly alone with my failure to love the team for the "great work" they do.

It's shocking, ekorren; you're absolutely right. The BC support team is not fulfilling the obligations of its contract. I'd suggest that some drastic steps be taken without delay:

1. Let's cut the support team's payment by half!
2. And let's stop paying our monthly membership fees in protest!

What's that? Most of them are working as volunteers? For zilch, you mean? In their own time? And there are no membership fees? You mean this is essentially a free service?

Oops, then my drastic steps won't work, I guess. Sorry, it was just a suggestion. ;)

PS: Believe me, I'm just as frustrated as you with some of the long outstanding bugs. It's just that both the support and technical teams are a lot smaller than you think. No, even smaller.

Let's cut them some slack. The love part is optional. :)

No, not for everything registered after May 2010.

It's simply because someone, a couple of years ago, forgot to include the category in a comparison, and someone else, for many years, refused to fix this little bug.

When a book is registered BC looks whether there is already an identical database entry and, if there is one, uses that one. However, "identical" is defined as "same author AND same title AND same ISBN", case insensitive, while it should be defined as "same author AND same title AND same category AND same ISBN", case sensitive. Funny enough, this is only valid when registering a book. If you edit the data of an already registered book the used definition of identical is "same author AND same title AND same category" - i.e. then the category is respected, but the ISBN is ignored, so editing the book to get the category right may as a side effect swap your ISBN for one of another edition.

For books registered until May 2010, it's even worse - these books actually did go through a "consistency" process which often changed titles, categories, and even many author names to some crap of unknown origin.

wingsolittletimewing 4 yrs ago
Really?
Category is Science? Really?

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13898427 The Gods of Newport by John Jakes

The Adventures of Captain Underpants = Arts & Photography

: (

The Adventures of Captain Underpants = Arts & Photography

: (

Hey. What do you expect from a Banned Book? They show up inappropriately all the time. (snicker).

Wait a minute. Oh oh. I'm off to check my copies of that title....

Arts and Photography? The book banned in Texas for introducing children to the phrase "poo-poo head"? Arts and Photography???????

see http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11968524/

Al Capone Does My Shirts http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14272723 changed my children's category to history. (I changed it back!)

Amazing Grace http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14307521/ changed my children's category to romance. (I changed it back.)

I HAVE to correct them, it would drive me mad to leave them the way the site enters them!

: )

I HAVE to correct them, it would drive me mad to leave them the way the site enters them!

: )

I don't always notice, but if I do, I generally try to change them. Just like I try to add a cover image if I come across a book on my shelf that's missing one. I don't go hunting for them deliberately, but when I find one...

and the site changes it to an audiobook. Grrrrrrr!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14773294/

is NOT Health, Mind & Body.

Arrrrgggghhhh!

The site says e-book. No, it is a paper book, all 180 pages right here in my hand.

even though I picked literature:

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13469807/ Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles: A Novel

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan comes up as Education? What do they think it is, a geography book?

People of the Fire
People of the Mist
People of the Silence

all in the same series by the same authors

the site calls one Sci Fi/Fantasy, one Literature, and one Education.

Seems like I spend all day changing categories!

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14943363 Vampires and Other Creatures of the Night

I never did like the category women's fiction. Call it what it is, Romance.

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15305261 - Women Who Made a Difference

A book with brief biographies of around 100 women of influence, from scientists to explorers, inventors, industrialists, businesswomen, authors, etc. But the site calls it "Women's Fiction".

Bah humbug!

A book with brief biographies of around 100 women of influence, from scientists to explorers, inventors, industrialists, businesswomen, authors, etc. But the site calls it "Women's Fiction".

This one is particularly horrible!

followed by a Discussion Guide?

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15236662 Eggs by Jerry Spinelli

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15450060/ Olivia Goes to the Library comes up as Biographies & Memoirs.

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14942990 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

but the site changed the category to audiobook. I changed it back!

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14296763/ The Constant Gardener

Big hardcover book that the site says is an audiobook.

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14943487/ Dinner on Hand by Kraft Kitchens

Stop changing my choices!!!

Stop changing my choice of book categories to something else that I would never use!

The site makes me fill it in, I do, and then it changes it. It is making me crazy!

Could you please give us step by step detail of what it is you are doing when this happens, including the browser you are using, are you entering ISBN or book title etc - and what are they?
With that information, can then try to recreate the error/bug/issue (therefore legitimise it) and upon doing so, flag it to the Development/ Technical Team to investigate / troubleshoot.
The aim is to give them clear direction of the issue identified, and have already pre-empted the question “were you able to recreate the error?”

Could you please give us step by step detail of what it is you are doing when this happens

To the best of my knowledge I am likely ropin' a steer or two when this happens...
You may google [ "step by step" detail roping steer] for further insight.

Having read what others here noted - over some six years now - I have ALWAYS purposely selected Women's Fiction [WF] with the serious hope the system would automatically turn that choice into Western [W, just drop the F...iction ] Yeah, Louise L'Amour eh!

PS1 But I was horrified to discover that "The Seven Sisters" by Anthony Sampson
is now WF on my shelf! I hope folks know what it is about.

PS2 And "Never Shoot a Stampede Queen" is now a "Western" in my Permanent Collection - one of seven "Westerns" ... YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could you please give us step by step detail of what it is you are doing when this happens, including the browser you are using, are you entering ISBN or book title etc - and what are they?
With that information, can then try to recreate the error/bug/issue (therefore legitimise it) and upon doing so, flag it to the Development/ Technical Team to investigate / troubleshoot.
The aim is to give them clear direction of the issue identified, and have already pre-empted the question “were you able to recreate the error?”

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15577661 A Season to Celebrate

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15562008/ Secret Santa

Desktop computer, Firefox. After hours for the site look-up working so I entered both books manually and designated them both as Romance, the site changed both to Literature and Fiction. I am in the habit of fixing these, so changed one to Romance automatically, but changed it back to the site's preference again. I'll fix them again sometime in the coming week unless I hear further from you. Is there further information that you need?

I entered the info manually on a Windows desktop computer, since the site lookup was not working. I entered the title as Boneyards. The site changed it to B0NEYARDS. (I've since fixed it, along with the half dozen or so wrong catagories the site switched today.)

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15647575/

Usually I would leave an extra space between two words in the title after fixing, before saving. But since it is a one-word title that's not possible. So I added an extra space at the beginning and saved. I hope that doesn't mess up the ability to search for the book.

No one has answered if you need more examples of these problems or if you have enough now.

Gotta say, I think originalslicey summed it up well elsewhere in this thread: "The best way to recreate the error is just to give the developers a stack of books to register themselves and pay attention to which ones get switched on them. It happens often enough that they can easily recreate the error without knowing specifics from us."

I registered three books tonight which all said Science Fiction right on the spines. The site changed one to Journal, one to Mystery & Thrillers, and one to Literature & Fiction.

I registered three books tonight which all said Science Fiction right on the spines. The site changed one to Journal, one to Mystery & Thrillers, and one to Literature & Fiction.

Can you give us the links to those books?
Without them we've nowhere to start on being able to escalate it to be investigated.

We did earlier in this thread make a similar request to you to provide us more information, but did not hear back from you:

Without them we've nowhere to start on being able to escalate it to be investigated.

I didn't make a note of which books they were this time (though I have often posted links in the past) but will in the future. However, I don't know what you will investigate. The site always picks up the designation of the first copy registered it seems. The site forces you to enter a choice but just continues to change your correct choice to that every time, even when it's wrong.

Like it changes your lower case title to all caps if that is how the first copy was registered, apparently. (And this has happened several times even when I had to enter the book manually as the site did not recognize it; it still changed the title or author to all caps, even though it previously told me the book did not exist.)

So until the site stops pulling info from other people's registrations I don't know what there is to investigate. However, your wish is my command, and from now on I will keep note of the info you want.

Like it changes your lower case title to all caps if that is how the first copy was registered, apparently.

These two won't let me add capitals to their titles no matter how many times I try - several times for one of them, only once for the other:
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15525484
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15569215/
So far I've found that changed categories have changed back when I've edited them back to what I asked for in the first place. I make checking and, if necessary, altering them part of my registration process. Of course, I work with smaller and more manageable numbers than some BookCrossers . . . .

Like it changes your lower case title to all caps if that is how the first copy was registered, apparently.

These two won't let me add capitals to their titles no matter how many times I try - several times for one of them, only once for the other:
So far I've found that changed categories have changed back when I've edited them back to what I asked for in the first place. I make checking and, if necessary, altering them part of my registration process. Of course, I work with smaller and more manageable numbers than some BookCrossers . . . .

Not sure if it would affect anything, but I noticed you didn’t enter an isbn.
Could be worth seeing if that makes a difference.

These two won't let me add capitals to their titles no matter how many times I try

Someone gave the secret in the forums to changing title spelling, capitalization, etc. a long time ago. Make your changes, then leave an extra space between a couple of words and save. I have no idea why, but leaving that extra space before saving makes your changes stick.

Genius
Just tried it myself on this one and it worked a treat!

I’ve left this one for you Nu-Knees given how satisfying I found it doing the other one!

Genius
Just tried it myself on this one and it worked a treat!

Thank you for changing this one for me. Your work for the site is much appreciated :-)
I’ve left this one for you Nu-Knees given how satisfying I found it doing the other one!

And thank you for leaving this one for me to do myself. I have now and, yes, it worked for me too :-)

Thank you. Now you mention it, I have a dim recollection of hearing of that workaround before but had forgotten about it in the meantime!
I love BookCrossing - but the longer I'm here, the more amazed I become at its weird and wonderful quirks :-)

I love BookCrossing - but the longer I'm here, the more amazed I become at its weird and wonderful quirks :-)

LOL. The "quirks" are what encourage me to leave for months/years at a time and not come back. This site is ridiculously not user-friendly for 2019!

Using a site where book search works properly, and I don't have to always manually upload a book cover, like LibraryThing or GoodReads, make this site even more frustrating.

Using a site where book search works properly, and I don't have to always manually upload a book cover, like LibraryThing or GoodReads, make this site even more frustrating.

Yup!

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15515170
A Visit from St. Nicholas
by CLEMENT C. MOORE

I am on a desktop computer using Firefox and entered the book manually as the site did not find it by ISBN, although search has been working for me this afternoon. (I kind of expected this as it looks like an obscure publisher.)

I entered it as Clement C. Moore and the site changed it to CLEMENT C. MOORE.

What other info do you need? I usually correct these immediately but will leave it up so you can check it out further.

ETA: Do you want me to post details here for further examples, or send them via the Contact Us link?

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14921972
A House of Tailors
by PATRICIA REILLY GIFF

On desktop computer, Firefox, entered manually as it is outside the look-up's working hours. Entered as Patricia Reilly Giff. The site changed this to PATRICIA REILLY GIFF.

at Step Three: Enter Details for Your Book

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15580695/ Seasons of Plenty
by COLIN GREENLAND

If the author had been in all caps when I chose it I would have corrected it (using a blank space between the first and last names before saving) but it comes up as Colin Greenland on the Register Book screen when I search for 0380774682, then changes it to all caps after saved.

PS - I don't want to jinx anything, but search is working through Google right now and has been since I signed on a few hours ago. So I will very quietly whisper Yay!

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15588582

Using Firefox. Entered all info manually as lookup doesn't work this time of day. Entered title as Murder Game. Site changed it to MURDER GAME.

It also changed my choice of category Romance to Teens.

I will wait a few days before correcting it.

~~~~~ETA: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13469879 - also entered manually as a Children's book. The site changed it to Sci Fi/Fantasy.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.